Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
What sort of moveset do you think BumpMan.EXE would have, anyways?

EDIT: Surely, it must involve getting to be on the top of a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #8: World 3 Water U Doing

Note: In this update, if you see the word "Official", then that's something the translators localized.

Alright, time for a healthy plot update.

Man, feels like a while since we've done something other than plumb the depths of the Internet. I could do with a nice, self-contained dungeon right about now.

Lan's been stopping plans, but yet they grow worse. We've been slacking!

OK, now for a change. In the original Battle Network 1 script, MegaMan says "...But remember you have weekend class this week?". So this is clearly a change. It was likely due to a change in how holidays work in :japan: Perhaps any savvy goons in the comments can elaborate. Now it just looks like Lan doesn't know what day it is, rather than what week he has weekend class.

In the original, they didn't localize so much as translate, which led to weirdness like this:

...where the English audience is briefly confused because we don't regularly have Saturday classes. Or, as a kid, just be glad you don't have Saturday classes.

I never noticed that bird on the balcony. It actually flies away if you get too close. Huh.

Ellipses? That's RPG code for "am sad"

Giver is starving! FEED!

I HUNGER, COWARD

First our oven, now this. As Yeti mentioned a while back, this game seems to revolve round what a kid would find scary. No more mommy's cooking? NOOOOOOOOOOO

Mayl leave me alone. No food and no BattleChips maks an angry Giver.

Along the way, she tells us how she couldn't use any water. Maybe a line to ACDC burst or something.

...Oh.

Welp, time to murder the innocent for their inherent water storage.

Slaughter the weak and drink their blood! Except don't because there's a lot of salt/iron in blood and that'll just make the thirst worse.

This is...odd.

"Wait how did I make it to 5th grade without ever knowing where the bathroom is?"

It's not like you can go in, so, uhh...?

Surely these things can't be connected. Surely

Welp. You guys can't whine about GangsterDex when the game applies the same grammar structure to him.

Dex is a thug.

SWEET! Wait, you cancel class for this, and not the Higsby incident? :rant:

Our ____ are gone!

Higsby, huh? We totally owned that lamer.

Time to kill GutsManV3.

You can actually fight him before class too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88EcDbF71s

GutsMan V3 at 100 damage isn't too shabby. But if you don't pick this up early, don't bother using it lategame. And yes, I got the V2 while I was at it.

Honestly, the GutsMan * is more useful in generic folders.

This is the only place in the game to get GutsPunch, too. You'll have to do semi-poorly on GutsManV3.

This was buffed from 60 to 160 damage. Yikes.

It's a giant fist to the face, I'm glad it deals the damage it should.

Oh drat. Wait, how the hell is the pond gone? I could see any additional water not being sent, but the one that was sitting there? Did...did the vents in the pond just suck up all the water?

Clearly it's just incredibly hot. Or maybe the residents of ACDC already drank it all?

"wanna some chips"

This typo exists in the original game too!

*faintly, as if from a great distance away* Wow your chips suck!

...Why are you asking me this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqIniafubpQ

NumberMan's chip is OK. Provided you feel like literally rolling dice for higher damage.

The Chip Trader works the same as in the original. That is, it has a 75% chance of spitting back out a chip you own in a different code. You can even do the Folder Stack trick, whereby you pick up almost nothing else in the game but the chips you want to draw. Have the trader spit at you the alternate codes/copies that you can't get. I'm not doing that, though.

:woop: Guess I don't need 3,000 Star Colo points for the drat Program Advance!

Ah, the good Chip Trader shenanigans. Where it'll drop every chip in the game, and doesn't make you save first, and checks the reward right before it gives it to you.

Considering the virus only drops its chips in B code, I'll take it.

Yai, I don't care. I want my drat breakfast. Off to the Waterworks!

Man, who cares about some wiener who got themselves kidnapped, let's just fix the problem and then eat. Rescue yourself, random NPC!

Yeah, don't drink the soft drinks. It'll only make it worse.

People don't understand this concept, somehow. I have a coworker that constantly complains about being thirsty, and I see him slam back three Pepsis for lunch.

Can...Can this lady not make enough milk for her baby?

We haven't seen a new mugshot in a while. What a happy-looking individual.

Oh, he's probably not important.

Says the kid.

drat my screenshotting habits.

Both Lan and Megaman are tired of Chaud's poo poo. After one conversation.

...Huh. I forgot BN1 was putting forth that Officials can NetBattle anywhere they want. Whatever that means. We haven't seen any restrictions even in this game with regards to NetBattling, so I don't really get it.

I'll just yoink this.

I'm sure we'll return it when we're done.

"Hmm, you look like Dr. Yuichiro Hikari. Don't know why you got shorter."

Yes, we stole this from that dude's belongings.

He can't use it! HP Mems only work with MegaMan. Clearly, Dr. Hikari slipped this in here without the guy knowing.

This is why you don't push out code on a Friday you morons.

Yeah, nobody would ever make deliveries on a Friday. And then leave for the weekend. ...nobody.

Totally not a WWW plot. What would WWW do with the town's water!?

Yeah, things are never this simple.

I don't know, I buy that guy's explanation. The random guy with a unique sprite seems legit.

MegaMan brings up the missing kid in Class 5-B as part of the discussion of things not being all that they seem.

OK, yes, the kidnapped child is Dr. Froid's son, so they're obviously connected. But there's no reason for MegaMan to think that one relates to the other at this point in time. Yai tells us later that the kid is Froid's son, not now.

Gasp. MegaMan is a bad influence! Save yourselves!

Lan was a good kid until his NetNavi started asking him to stay out late and sneak into highly-classified areas. Battle Chips: Not even once.

:roflolmao: No one will enter Dad's office, not even Dad himself!

Where even is Dad, anyway?

After much pacing...

Won't Lan's Mom be worried? Wouldn't she call Lan on his PET. Ah, gently caress it.

She probably assumes he's hanging out with Mayl or Dex or something.

Well, given that there's a serious bug somehow causing all the water to vanish. I would imagine someone's staying late.

Time to go into the dun-...

She...She interrupted us mid jack-in. How is this universe breaking power possible?

She's got a unique sprite. That's how.

I do like how plausible this is. You forget sometimes that Lan is supposed to be only 11.

Though he did need to have an access card to get in here.

Lan, that is no reason to feel smug!

Oh look, they added a new textbox. Hooray. :regd09:

Honestly this dungeon isn't too bad. People exaggerate the ~[ice puzzle~ but really, it's easy.

The mechanics are a little precise for what they want you to do, and they clearly dropped the idea of non-diagonal movement being important for later games. Still, it's a good dungeon in my opinion.

Pictured: Quake 3 destroying every encounter in this area.

Just turn on faucets and solve simple ice puzzles. It's pretty chill.

...Pun not intended.

Don't go sliding off the slippery slope when it comes to puns.

Cool new mugshot, ProtoMan.

ProtoMan is super offended by this and tries to kill us for our blasphemy.

ProtoMan you rear end in a top hat, we're civilians. You nearly deleted a civilian NetNavi.

He nearly killed MegaMan. What a dick. And people wonder why Colonel was the better version of MMBN5.

Nope, we have Internet maps! :downsrim:

Translators PLS.

I didn't screenshot it, but ProtoMan just says "Chaud,sir". No more Load Chaud typo.

The world grows cold.

Load Chaud is pretty great. I already miss it.

Man, was Chaud always this abrasive. I forgot.

See you around, Spider-Navi.

Spider-Navi, Spider-Navi, does whatever a Spider-Navi does.

Remember kids, always pick up your HP.

Gasp. Running water. Whatever shall we do.

It's a shame we don't have some sort of fire-based weaponry, or water-based weaponry, or... What I'm saying is a lot of the issues could be resolved by Lan thinking outside the box.

Heading to the 3rd area, we can see Spooky2's spawn here more frequently.

WideSword in this area is at least better than the Undernet.

The difficulty curve on this game is weird. Reminder, this is Scenario 4.

Being able to walk at least helps with making some of the more precise slides.

With this and GutsPunch B and Dash B, you could make a Program Advance. I'll have to try it out later and see if it was buffed or anything.

"Program Advance: Just punch a lot and get in their face or something, I dunno." - the inventors of the Battle Chip system, probably.

You give me that S-rank, Spooky2.

JESUS loving CHRIST. A FOURTH SPOT. WHY

Yeah, that's the good poo poo right there!

I half-wish the maps showed the ice on the roads as well. It's still as trial-and-error-y as before.

So yeah, the developers didn't fix any of the glitches. In fact, it's still possible to skip the upcoming virus fight just like how they do in speedruns.

A virus fight where the viruses only attack straight. If you have trouble with this, then you suck.

Seriously, these guys are free. They're roughly as threatening as Mettaurs.

WONDERFUL ZENNY

A-bloo-dee-blu what?

Excuse me?

Um. A FireShot? That's not a chip!

Whatever this is, it never shows up again, either.

This works and doesn't damage the machine in anyway. Also, floating block of water.

KOOL-AID!

I get they needed a visual representation that Unfiltered Water = Bad, but come on. What the hell are these pipes that this is the result?

Don't you just love these NPCs?

So apparently ACDC's water is literally poisonous unless treated properly. Like, we're talking instant 'You need an emetic or you will probably die.'

Chaud, don't stalk me! :argh:

Wow, literally everyone is dumb.

How hard is it to go "Maybe I should drink this glowing purple goop"?

There were...two bugs?

Most people would feel too embarrassed to go back and "help", but not our Lan!

Bitch leave me alone, I don't caaaareee.

"Forgot". I'm gonna smack you on your forehead and subsequently break my hand.

Would it be a hard target thanks to the glare, or an easy one thanks to the size?

"good luck". Yai, you useless poo poo.

:same:

I was about to comment about how we don't get a cool Shark Navi, and then I remembered SharkMan exists! Hooray! :same:

Lazy kidnappers didn't bother to lock the door. Jesus Christ.

Alternatively, Lan was metal enough to punch out the window.

How does he have the Handle program? Ms.Madd ripped it off and gave it to the kid for safe keeping because...?

Need to keep the important pieces of the puzzle together.

:psyduck: Send this message yourself! Why are we the delivery men?

I don't even.

I'm okay! They kidnapped me once but this time definitely not again!

Buying the Spreader K to make the 5-chip Program Advance later.

Barrier(BN1): D F M R S
Barrier(OSS): *

Man, what a usability increase. Fun fact: Barrier is one of the chips that spawn in one of the PCs.

And that reveals another hidden change which we'll cover next update.

loving fantastic.

Hey! Assholes! PEOPLE ARE DYING! Wake up!

They drank the water too, that's why they're unconscious.

Why can't we just call him? Chaud called us despite only seeing us for 5 minutes.

E-mail him the message! Go back to the kid and have him call his Dad! PLS!

But we haven't had a boss fight yet.

C-code superiority!

As you can see by the map, we're in the other half of this area.

Things are a lot less complicated when you can see all of the map, even without the ice on the screen.

Puzzles start to get more complicated. You'll need more precise ice slides to make it.

A-code inferiority!

Once we've reached the Undernet, A-code stops being quite as good. That being said, I have an ARQ tri-coded folder for blowing through the game quickly.

: Dayum, that girl got a nice RAQ
Get at her from the back
Cuz she'll like my pack
Tell her Gangster Dex ain't whack

Last update I mentioned that one area in Waterworks Comp doesn't have any encounters? This is it. You need to go to the virus machine and check this area's encounters before you come here proper. Not that you're really missing anything.

Thank the gods they don't have encounters here. It would be awful if they did.

"If you melt the ice with water, you can walk on the area you melted. From the melted area, you can fall into another hole to reach another faucet. Melt the ice again to create a new path. Then you can get to the brown path to the right."

I think they added this in the remake. Yeti, mind clarifying this one?

The Mr. Prog exists and gives similar hints, but the text is a lot clearer than in the original.

For reference, this is the Prog's full hint in BN1: "Fall through a hole to find a path. Melt the ice to create another. Fall through another hole. Melt the ice again to create a new path. Then you can get to the brown path to the right."

The dev team also gives you the answer hints at where you should start.

This is another change in OSS. The original doesn't have that single unfrozen panel.

Don't forget this!

Boy, our buster is growing up fast.

It's already as powerful as it needs to be. It will be stronger.

"...to the right. But this area's slippery, so you can't get there yet... Maybe if you melted some ice you could reach the path? You're almost there! Good luck!"

This one, too, Yeti.

Also just changed dialogue to make the hint clearer. "You can fall through there to get to the path below. You're almost there. Good luck!"

This one's actually misleading, because once you melt the ice with the nearby faucet you don't need to fall into another hole to get out.

Thanks to the helpful Prog hints, we get past this area with little to no issues.

Pictured: an Avery cartoon.

Now I'm imagining MegaMan as Wile E. Coyote, chasing down QuickMan dressed as the Road Runner. "Meep meep! *dam explodes*"

Swordy3's appear this deep in. Dang. Oh, look, BigBombs.

You'll need to do some super precision slides.

I'm glad they get rid of this for the future games. Moving straight up/down/left/right feels weird.

After going there, slide this way.

Slide up.

Then merely go back down.

Slide left, then back down to the position 2 screenshots up, but instead go back.

Oh no, EskimoMan.

Ah, Lan. Not listening to authority. I'm sure you could be arrested for this.

IceMan gets back up and tries to attack ProtoMan.

It's a shame Froid doesn't show up more often in the series. He'd be cool.

God dammit that's the 3rd one this update.

I tried to warn about the slippery slope, but you just blew me off. Guess you're starting to feel the chill now, huh.

"wrong enemy k"

...So, who's B-rank and S-rank operator? I demand to understand how you guys organize their operatives.

Given how much of a pushover Match was, is he C-rank or B-rank? Maybe C-rank is restricted for their contractors, like Higsby.

I guess SuperPrograms were just common knowledge in this game? Don't ask me.

To be fair, if it had to be somewhere, I'd expect it to be in a highly-secure area that can only be accessed by someone with the appropriate ID.

Bye, ProtoMan!

IceMan attacks MegaMan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIFUfUue3g

These fights are going at a brisk pace. Jesus, OSS.

This one's more on you for going to the Undernet, in my opinion.

Just take the drat thing.

"This mail address". Email. Sent to another Navi to be delivered like a courier pidgeon. Yes.

That's how it works, in this world. Or would you rather give it to a Mr. Prog?

Dad's going to jail and his son will be orphaned. YAY.

Missed screenshot: Dr. Froid says "You... You're right, kid." I may be presenting this at a quick pace, but even this exchange was fast. It makes sense, at least, since Froid's at least got a head on his shoulders.

"I really don't want to do this but they have my son." "Your son's safe." "Man gently caress those kidnapper guys, let's go!"

IceMan sucks up the ice he put on the system.

This scene ends...just like that. No, there's nothing after this box in this scene.

Congrats, Scenario 4 complete. We're just flying by.

This is the very next dialogue box. I'll just...go with it.

So, do the SuperPrograms control all of DenCity's properties? Is it just wherever it's installed. So confused.

Boy don't you two feel like idiots.

MegaMan walks up. And yes, MegaMan, we can see that. It's ProtoMan. He said his name.

Judging by Blinky's contribution, I imagine MegaMan is just sighing. "Oh, this dipshit Navi again. He tried to kill me, but couldn't kill a clown."

And he would have deleted ColorMan too if it weren't for that meddling duo.

So, the original dialogue here was "Who are you and how do you know my name"? So, hooray for fixing that minor hole.

They missed a comma after "Who do you think you are" though.

All right, at least Chaud has an excuse: this would be classified information.

You guys didn't change this to "jack out". 0/10 localization.

I guess it kinda works if you imagine that MegaMan needs to pull out of the system? But yeah, this should really be jack out.

No thanks to CHAUD.

Chaud is cool, while Froid is surprisingly warm-hearted.

MegaMan expects snarky Lan.

Yeah, if we don't get to the new Starforce content soon, there'll be riots in the thread.

I can't wait to be utterly disappointed.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get in the way again.

Lan and MegaMan: inveterate meddlers.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 3, 2018

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

MORE PROGS MORE PROGS MORE PROGS

Prof. 9
Jan 3, 2015

giver336 posted:

OK, now for a change. In the original Battle Network 1 script, MegaMan says "...But remember you have weekend class this week?". So this is clearly a change. It was likely due to a change in how holidays work in :japan: Perhaps any savvy goons in the comments can elaborate. Now it just looks like Lan doesn't know what day it is, rather than what week he has weekend class.
This has to do with a real-world change in Japanese school weeks. In 2001, when EXE1 was released, Japanese school weeks were Monday to Saturday (so 6 days) with the exception of the second and fourth Saturday of the month. The original conversation went something like this:

MegaMan: Lan, wake up and get to school.
Lan: It's Saturday, so there's no school.
MegaMan: But it's the third Saturday of the month, so you do have school.

That doesn't really make much sense in English, so BN1 just opted to change it to "weekend class".

But in 2002, Japanese school weeks were changed to a 5 day week (Monday to Friday) instead, so this conversation couldn't be carried over to OSS, as it no longer made sense. So instead we got the new line which has MegaMan realizing it's actually Friday. The OSS translation editors chose to carry over this change to the English script as well.

giver336 posted:

You guys didn't change this to "jack out". 0/10 localization.

I guess it kinda works if you imagine that MegaMan needs to pull out of the system? But yeah, this should really be jack out.
Apparently it didn't say "plug out" in the Japanese script, so yeah.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is my personal interpretation so it may be completely wrong, but the whole "Official NetBattlers can fight anywhere!" and Lan never using chips outside of battle, plus the energy changing NaviCust program in BN3, made me think that there's a big difference between fighting on the field and in the grid. Basically, on the overworld there's only so much normal Navis can do - MegaMan can fire his buster (and use FireShots, apparently, whatever those are...) but he couldn't fight for real. Once the Battle Routine is Executed, he can go all-out. ProtoMan here is not limited by that, hence why he gets to be cool out of battle (but the player will never get to use that, despite him being playable in two games).

This is also almost definitely not true and the reality is that the writers didn't think this through, but it makes sense to me dammit.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot Froid's son was just a generic NPC in BN1. Didn't they use the anime design for him in Network Transmission? Would have been nice to make a few sprites for him here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Who replaced the water with purple drank?

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is my personal interpretation so it may be completely wrong, but the whole "Official NetBattlers can fight anywhere!" and Lan never using chips outside of battle, plus the energy changing NaviCust program in BN3, made me think that there's a big difference between fighting on the field and in the grid

I think this was more of a thing in the anime than the games.

giver336 posted:

...So, who's S-rank operator?

rannum posted:

Didn't they use the anime design for him in Network Transmission?

He's not in Network Transmission.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 29, 2018

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

giver336 posted:

We haven't seen a new mugshot in a while. What a happy-looking individual.
Wow, they made Chaud's mugshot incredibly anime. They also made him look a little older, which is kinda funny, considering he's a year younger than Lan is, IIRC.

giver336 posted:

Don't you just love these NPCs?
I do, they're all such amazing doofuses. :allears:

giver336 posted:

I guess SuperPrograms were just common knowledge in this game? Don't ask me.
Either that, or Yuichiro mentioned it at some point, I guess. Maybe Lan heard him and Haruka talking about it after Match attempted to burn down their house while grabbing the FireProgram.
: "Dear, is there a reason you were hiding top secret government programs in our oven?"
:"Of course, honey!"
:"..."
:"...I thought it would be cool."
: "..."
: "You're buying that fancy cheesecake one I wanted when you replace it this weekend."

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

No wonder they removed random battles and added more hints for that particular area, I remember getting stuck there for a long time the first time I played the game, and I was already quite older than this game's target audience.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rannum posted:

I forgot Froid's son was just a generic NPC in BN1. Didn't they use the anime design for him in Network Transmission? Would have been nice to make a few sprites for him here.

His son never appears again after the first game (in fact, the only human that actually physically appears in Network Transmission is Lan, everyone else is just relegated to mugshots and dialogue) .

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So what does a SuperProgram look like? A Super Saiyan Mr. Prog?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So what does a SuperProgram look like? A Super Saiyan Mr. Prog?

(courtesy of Neddy Seagoon from the BN3 thread)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Excellent.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I don't know why Yai always looks so disgruntled in her mugshots, but I rather like how extreme they went with the one in this game.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Will post an early update in 6 hours. After this one, the next one will be during the week of the 13th, since I'll be back from vacation around that time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Next is ColorMan's dungeon, right? And then ElecMan?

This game always surprises me with how short it is.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #9: Giver is a Meanie Poopiehead

All right, people, we're officially at the halfway point of this game's story. Hoped you liked what changes you've gotten so far.

I wish they'd been a little bit more thorough with the changes, but I know I don't mind the little QoL improvements they've made so far.

I mean, you have 2 of the SuperPrograms, so while things aren't going optimal, you're halfway to releasing the LifeVirus. Oh, wait, I guess Higsby's defection would cause a problem. Hey, wait a minute, why the hell haven't the Officials questioned Higsby yet? I'm sure he could provide valuable info.

Uh... He's just a contractor, he probably doesn't know anything. For all we know, the WWW just pulled strings to get him into the school and then gave him a tape to play without sharing anything else.

Can't pay your hackers? NO LOYALTY. Wily will eventually seek out a benefactor in later games, so at least he learned from his mistake here.

Ah, yes. Pay your mercenaries or they'll leave as soon as the funding dries up. Pretty accurate.

You mean me. Yeti hasn't done anything. :v:

There are still more fixed data and shops to compare, you know. I don't mind letting you handle that since you're so talented.

Pictured: a blue man on a field in the monitor. I can't believe I never noticed that.

Wily leaves to do evil things. I bet he's having a migraine about how his elite hacker squad can't beat a small kid. Take your Cyber Pills.

Cyber Pills: not even once.

..."Wood". And no, they didn't do anything with the Wood SuperProgram in this re-release.

He knows who Lan is?! Oh no! The horror!

Lan responds non-chalantly about MegaMan's hard work.

Pictured: Me when I update this LP.

yeah

New mugshot. I think they made Roll look closer to a teenager. Is it the angle?

Navis: Mailer Daemon.

You know this one: Mayl wants us to accompany her in buying Yai a birthday present.

But... what has Yai done for us? She's blinded us with her forehead and then told us about Froid's son way too late to avoid backtracking.

gently caress that.

Leave me alone, MegaMan. I don't wanna!

See? She's not ready. :derp:

We'll do some Net grinding. And if she is still washing her hair, then oh well.

How the hell do you hear running water from outside the house? Are their water pipes just up against the wall or something?

Recov150 L........10000z

In Battle Network 1 as well as 5 from what I can recall, Higsby's shop changes throughout the game. I'm still broke, though.

I pick up this and NumberMan V2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcZNc8zE6CY

And now we never need to fight the Dice Boy again.

Poor Haruka is lonely. This is why Lan has trouble in class. And probably why he throws himself into NetBattling. And probably why he's somewhat socially inept in later games.

Oh boy.

This is depressing. Man...

Yes, and you'll be the first casualty.

THANK YOU GAME.

I'm so glad they give you this option.

What?

Abuse builds character.

You just traumatized this poor child. Welcome to the real DenCity, you're going to learn today!

Dr. Froid gives us access to an Official Mailing List. It may contain useful tips every now and then. Just give me my WWW Pin, Dr. Froid.

We have some fights to do.

WoodMan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXeITyVjMI

IceMan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gGfm-FzqK4

WoodMan is still the only W-coded chip in the game. His V1's chip damage has increased from 60 to 70. Boo.

WoodMan is... not good enough to be in any folder.

IceMan has increased from 60 to 80.

Good thing I traded for this earlier.

Jeez, lady, pushy much?

I mean, it's good. But you can find this infinitely in Undernet 10. So, it's just redundant.

Mayl probably still isn't done with her hair, so gently caress it.

The touchscreen helpfully tells you what Block you're currently resided in.

I mean it's not THAT useful but at least you know what screen you're in.

SkullMan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozlA3NHyQ64

You suck.

No bones about it, this Navi is easy.

This lets us access Internet Area 4, which of course we're going to in this update.

DailyMissEchelonSacrifice.png

We have offered up Progs on the altar, will she hear our pleas?

I mean...I do like the chip, but again, we can find this chip code infinitely elsewhere, so it's a waste.

Quake3 is a good chip.

Oh sweet. This is the only place that you can really farm for CanDevil3's. They do 200 damage with their flame, but the deadliest part is how long the flame takes to disappear from a row. Too bad they only move up/down and there's 2 of them.

Yoink.

The map is more interesting than the virus formation. This was before skulls really became Wily's motiff.

Right now, WWW's sign is really just a fancy W. Skulls are Miyu's thing in this game.

I can make the Program Advance now, but I'll be checking those offscreen in case they snuck in anymore changes. Don't expect commentary on them otherwise.

Trash.

CanDevil 1 and 3 right next to each other. Weird game.

This game's balancing is REALLY weird.

C-COOOOOOOOODE.

So, this game did something really stupid. In the original Battle Network, if you find a chip drop in an HP, let's say the Recov120 F in Sal's. It's respawns when you jack back in, BUT the game tells you "MegaMan couldn't decode the data." For some silly reason, Battle Network 1 only disallowed you picking up HP mystery datas repeatedly. Should you have the chip in that code in your pack by other means, no freebie.

In OSS, they updated it so now that if you have the chip in your pack, the mystery data despawns. There's a Barrier * in Miyu's HP (was Barrier S in BN1), but I can't get it. Because I already bought Barrier * earlier.

You get 3 Barrier * from Higsby's, one for free in the overworld (coming up in a few screenshots) and one here in OSS. If you pickup your data incorrectly, you could be in my spot where I can only get 4 Barrier * instead of 5. Stupid loving game.

I was very confused when playing BN1 and discovered this; to make things easier to get through the game for purposes of taking images (and since I don't care) I used a full sack code to get all the chips in the game. Since that meant I had the Recov120 F in Sal's HP, that meant I couldn't grab it.

Will Pangelina Joly be in this movie, too.

Upgrade Impossible? What, are they trying to get a good version of Windows 10?

This is tucked away, but it's important to find this place.

Yeti, this one is definitely different. Check it.

Yeah, yeah, I will...

Meanwhile, I hate everything.

She doesn't tell us what her measurements are, yet. ...That's a notable piece of trivia since the game quizzes you on it later. I'm not kidding.

This game is weird.

More Battle Network foreshadowing. Not as good as Dad's portrait, but this is something that would hit you later.

"I'm a bad program, you got that?"

Oh man now I'm imagining this Prog with sunglasses and a leather jacket.

I give Battle Network 1 some credit. If you search and talk to NPCs, you'll get early plot reveals, like how Yuri was an ex-WWW member.

Poitton3's. Only place in the game to find them. Ouch.

Speed+1.

We are closer and closer to having a fully upgraded Buster.

Whilst farming for HiCannon F (for Program Advance checking) I get into a fight with StoneMan and finally nab the V2 chip. It'll replace StoneMan V1 in my folder.

Huh? Why is Internet Area 2 so massive and twisty compared to the others?

Because the map devs got scolded for Area 2, I assume.

Trash.

Can you say Infinite Quake3 farming? Because that's what I'm about to do. I need alternate codes, mind you :v:

"Girl, give Handi." And there's your Battle Network pick-up line for this update.

If you're not careful, you'll end up with a Time Bomb of your own. Please use the appropriate protection, like firewalls or an antivirus.

Um, game? You let me buy this from the shop in Undernet 8. Don't think I don't see all this redundancy.

Nothing spectacular.

After the Undernet GMDs, a lot of these are going to be lackluster.

This fixed drop is a cut above the rest.

A-code is acceptably strong.

Miyu's HP is a great spot to jump right into the early Undernet areas. I'll be abusing this lategame.

:smith:

We'll be here eventually.

What is with this game's terrible shops?

It's worth remembering that a few of these shops (the ones in Internet 3 and Undernet 6 spring to mind) sell the elemental Armors that have been removed from this version of the game.

Once again, HP memories are of low priority for me. It's chips all the way until I'm almost done with my Library.

MegaMan, no! I'm not responding!

At least send a refusal, you monster.

GOD DAMMIT.

Fine, we'll do this date.

...In the next update.

Time for Scenario 5. We're just knocking these out of the park...

giver336 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 3, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Where would the Wood Super Program even be? The tree in ACDC you can jack into?

I wonder if Yuri being a WWW member previously is what inspired the anime to make her evil in the Axess season.

giver336 posted:

Yes, and you'll be the first casualty.

THANK YOU GAME.

I'm so glad they give you this option.

What?

Abuse builds character.

Considering Battle Network 3, it's not a lie. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 3, 2018

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

giver336 posted:

SkullMan, you suck.

No bones about it, this Navi is easy.
To be fair, every boss in this game is pretty easy. And because you've got Undernet-tier chips already, nothing stands a chance.
Also, Miyu is cute. :3: Sad that she never made a reappearance in later games. (Though, considering Sal's next appearance was in BN4, maybe it's for the best.)

giver336 posted:

Whilst farming for HiCannon F (for Program Advance checking) I get into a fight with StoneMan and finally nab the V2 chip. It'll replace StoneMan V1 in my folder.
Wait, you're telling me that Stoneman's 100 damage multi hit chip was the V1? And here I thought you'd just beat up his V3 form offscreen, and were saving the fight for later in the LP.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As I recall, Miyu, Masa, and Sal were fairly recurring in the anime and even got Sentai outfits.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As I recall, Miyu, Masa, and Sal were fairly recurring in the anime and even got Sentai outfits.

And Yuri was promoted to Villain with Needleman

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They are the team BN5 Team Protoman should have had. Team Sharkman, anyone?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Team Sharkman, anyone?

That'd mean getting a Shark Soul and I would have been incredibly down to have that :swoon:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They did and it was loving glorious

Masa's codename was Commander Beef :allears:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

And Yuri was promoted to Villain with Needleman

And was given croissant-hair to distinguish her from her sister's swirl-hair.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Blaziken386 posted:

They did and it was loving glorious

Masa's codename was Commander Beef :allears:

what is wrong with anime

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Miss posted:

what is wrong with anime

The biggest change in the anime is, at least as far as the early seasons, Megaman is not Lan's brother, Bass is Pharohman reborn, the arcs go N1 Grand Prix->Traveling the world->Nebula->Duo being the boss of the BN5 stuff, Baryl is dead and Colonel is a Navi sent from the past to fight in the future and it's just... You don't think that Battle Network is a difficult thing to adept. You'd be surprised.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"MegaMan is Lan's brother" seems to be a particularly hated plot point by anyone who adapts this considering I can't think of a single adaptation that kept it. Admittedly, every adaptation of Battle Network is very loose, but that plot point is vital to the games yet ignored by everything else - anime, manga, you name it.

The manga even kept the Hub name but gave it a completely different explanation. Also, said manga is good, it's surprisingly aggresive.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The manga is particularly weird about it because Bass gets Hub Style.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

The biggest change in the anime is, at least as far as the early seasons, Megaman is not Lan's brother, Bass is Pharohman reborn, the arcs go N1 Grand Prix->Traveling the world->Nebula->Duo being the boss of the BN5 stuff, Baryl is dead and Colonel is a Navi sent from the past to fight in the future and it's just... You don't think that Battle Network is a difficult thing to adept. You'd be surprised.

Life Virus shows up in 5 minutes of one episode and I am pretty sure it was filler. BN3's plot was basically skipped but its Navis & some slight plot threads were thrown in with the BN4 plot that, again, basically did its own thing (probably for the best here though!). Access-on also put a focus on transforming and fighting in the real world, which reached dizzying heights in the BN5 arc (Stream?) where the final confrontation had a full 3 minutes devoted to transformation sequences

My favorite "but why" thing is the BN6 arc (Beast) is entirely based in a parallel world where the internet & "real life" are one.

I never saw much of the final arc (Beast+) other than it got reduced to 10 minutes to be paired with other anime and "adapted" all the weird spin offs like Network Transmission and the phone games.

I have a lot of fondness for the show, honestly, there's something endearing about a show that just kind of shrugs off its source material plotlines.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, if you hate ShadeMan, the anime gives him a really gruesome death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4l-_RsrnwE

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The weirdest thing about Access was the combination of "fusion space" and the abandonment of the whole "Megaman is Hub brought back to life" thing.

It would be interesting if the cross-fusion stuff was due to Yuichiro trying to bring Hub back into the physical world. Instead, it's largely created because :downs:. Yes, why not make it even easier for net-terrorists and darkloids to kill people, great idea.

The other weird thing about the spin offs in general is that they both generally treat the internet like it's some kind of magical other dimension, rather than, y'know, the internet. Granted, the later games also seem to forget that occasionally, but they still feel internet-y. The manga/anime have like... ancient temples, and fleets of (cyber)airships.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of both, but they're about as close to the plots of the games as the pokemon anime is.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:allears:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Anti-dark cannons :allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Geemer posted:

Anti-dark cannons :allears:
gently caress, I didn't even notice that

now I'm just imagining the ships with giant flashlights duct taped to them.
that would be entirely within the realm of NPC competence for this series. :downswords:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm inclined to say Shademan was also much better in the anime, though it has been a while. Not that such an accomplishment is particularly hard considering what we got in BN4, but at least the anime version isn't screeching constantly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm inclined to say Shademan was also much better in the anime, though it has been a while. Not that such an accomplishment is particularly hard considering what we got in BN4, but at least the anime version isn't screeching constantly.

Shademan was a massive bastard in the anime iirc.
He was the arc villain that kept on appearing and getting away with it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Onmi posted:

wh-.....what

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Miss posted:

wh-.....what

Also Lan didn't have enough friends, so they changed Froid's child to a permanent character and gave him Iceman, and then they had Dingo permanently join the team. And Ms Gauss was the leader of the Neo WWW . And they had to explain why several Darkloids were now normal navi's or how Shadowman is an independant assassin and worked for Dr. Regal and after he is brought back to life by Wily, he's finally GIVEN to Dusk

Also they really liked Laika, because you know how they did the whole "Merging with your navi in the REAL WORLD" well for the longest time the people who could do that were Lan, Chaud... and Laika for some reason. They adored Searchman and Laika

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 7, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Onmi posted:

Also Lan didn't have enough friends, so they changed Froid's child to a permanent character and gave him Iceman, and then they had Dingo permanently join the team. And Ms Gauss was the leader of the Neo https://www. And they had to explain why several Darkloids were now normal navi's or how Shadowman is an independant assassin and worked for Dr. Regal and after he is brought back to life by Wily, he's finally GIVEN to Dusk

Also they really liked Laika, because you know how they did the whole "Merging with your navi in the REAL WORLD" well for the longest time the people who could do that were Lan, Chaud... and Laika for some reason. They adored Searchman and Laika

By Stream they pretty much turned the show into a Megaman-themed Sentai series minus the giant robots. In addition to those three nearly everyone from BN5 (plus Mayl and Yuri) gained the ability to fuse with their Navis except for Higsby and Ribbita (in fact I believe Toadman only appeared in the anime once during the second season). Thankfully they dialed this down a bit in the final two seasons.

Star Force also got an anime which was ok despite them severely downplaying or outright removing certain aspects of the characters and still being hampered by the 10 minute time limit that started in Beast+ (this is due to the show having to share a time slot with an anime based on Ape Escape that started around the same point). Unfortunately it was forced to rush to a conclusion after the second season got canceled prematurely due to the fact that Star Force 2 had terrible sales. As far as I'm aware the 3rd game never got any sort of promotion at all aside from a one-shot manga that was never translated. The first two Star Force games also had a manga adaption if I remember right but it was more comedy focused and I don't think any of them were ever translated.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Also for Napalmman as the original one got killed they literally made an alien copy of him for Nenji/Fyrefox. Duo just had a bunch of copies of Navis he got to do stuff.

Also Mayl couldn't combine with Roll at first so she had a weird fusion chip that was carried around by Rush (one of the pop-up viruses in this game actually).