Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

my gut reaction is that Oakland puts together another shocking offer

Edwin Jackson for Bryce Harper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If nothing else that clears away a lot of those 40 man guys they have no use for

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1024126497328705539

This feels like the right approach.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Puig for Harper :getthefuckinemoji:

bawfuls posted:

In happier news:
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1024084975652548608

It would be pretty awesome if Urias can be a bullpen weapon this fall.

~I believe~

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What's Duvall's contract?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Giants coulda matched that.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What's Duvall's contract?

Arb (or maybe even still Rookie)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I don't blame the Nats for looking to make a bundle off of a panic buying GM in the last 18 hours but holy moly it's hard to think of a team that blew their championship window any harder in the post-Wild Card era.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

duvall hits arb1 next season iirc

but yeah, it gives the braves a right handed bench bat who can play some OF and frees up some 40 mans spots for Allard and Touki

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cool, maybe a change of scenery turns Wisler or Sims into a serviceable sixth bullpen guy for half a season or something but they had enough chances in Atlanta. Sounds like it makes sense.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1024130067813806080

He ain't wrong

Duvall is cool I guess, trading a bunch of nothing for nothing. Sims may still have a chance to develop.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

CubsWoo posted:

I don't blame the Nats for looking to make a bundle off of a panic buying GM in the last 18 hours but holy moly it's hard to think of a team that blew their championship window any harder in the post-Wild Card era.

IMO the main culprit was their inability to find a capable manager and stick by him. Changing managers every other year is a recipe for instability and prevents players from forming any sort of trust with them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Natinals window hasn't closed what the heck

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Blow up that stadium too, they're 3-8 in home playoff games, they've lost all 3 LDS Game 5s at home and the one time they didn't push a series to 5 games they lost it on the road because they lost games 1 and 2 at home

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eltoasto posted:

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1024130067813806080

He ain't wrong

Duvall is cool I guess, trading a bunch of nothing for nothing. Sims may still have a chance to develop.

Not happening unless it turns out the password to his twitter is Bryce123

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I feel like this Harper situation is built in a lab to be the most interesting trade scenario possible. Guy with demonstrable inner circle HOF ability, in the middle of a terrible year, who is heading into free agency. It'll be cool to see the potential packages get leaked over the next 24 hours (or 32 days, if he stays on the market for the waiver deadline). I have literally no idea how teams will value him.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Eckstein123 easily remains the most hilarious thing I've ever been alive to witness in the cosmic ballet that is baseball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

(or 32 days, if he stays on the market for the waiver deadline).
I can't imagine he'd get through waivers, it's not like his contract is prohibitive

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

No matter how this season plays out, my goodness this has been an amazing Red Sox team this year, I love them so.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1024129713164279809?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1024136412122243072

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1024135927294291968

Guess Pedey's not making it back this season

E:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1024137026055163905

Couple of triple-A relievers

Lost Season fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 31, 2018

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CubsWoo posted:

Considering how they have the best player since Barry Bonds you have to throw the Angels into the mix. They're about to lose Mike Trout in a couple of years and they have won zero playoff games with him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Natinals window hasn't closed what the heck

I can see their plight. The NL East is no longer trash with the Braves/Phillies having gotten good and looking like they'll only be better next year, so the Nats have stiff competition going forward. They only have two good starters, Scherzer who realistically can't defy the aging curve forever (although for now he's otherworldly and the only thing keeping them afloat) and Strasburg who can't stay healthy to save his life. Their IF is anchored by Turner who is legit fantastic, but otherwise you've got Adams who's gone after this year, Rendon who's been reliable but otherwise average outside his otherworldly 2017, and Zimmerman/Murphy/Difo/Reynolds who are all old, bad, or both. Their catcher situation is a trainwreck. In the OF Soto looks legit and Eaton would be a perennial AS for them if he could stay healthy (which he can't), so if Harper walks they have to really hope Michael Taylor can remember he's supposed to be good. Their bullpen is cobbled together with guys who all walk this offseason except Doolittle so they're basically going to have to go out and buy a whole new bullpen.

tl;dr If they want to stay relevant in the NL East they'd need to resign Harper, sign at least 1-2 quality starters to shore up the rotation, sign 2-3 quality relievers to shore up the bullpen, sign a second baseman, sign a first baseman, and sign a catcher this coming offseason. Not impossible, particularly given how much money comes off the books after this season, but it's a tall order.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. n/m I'm dumb.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't wait until some minor league pranksters decide to gently caress with everyone and start doing fake hugs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just when you think a trade deadline's going to be boring we end up having the most interesting one in years. Who forgot to turn off the stove?!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can't wait until some minor league pranksters decide to gently caress with everyone and start doing fake hugs

If I was minor leaguer instead of tweeting racist, homophobic poo poo I'd tweet stuff like "welp time to pack my bags I guess" right after a game, then an hour later tweet "because the game was over and I needed to bring my stuff home. sorry if it was unclear."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Huh, that's not what I was expecting to happen.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/GabeBurnsAJC/status/1024131405234753538

That Ender, what a guy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Gotta factor in the suspension - he doesn't get time accrued for it. It's actually why I think it's a great punishment for him, he cost himself millions by his actions.

Please don't let this start heading down the his suspension was punishment enough and cost him millions line of thought though

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Why would the Indians refuse to include Bieber when they have Kluber/Carrasco/Bauer?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

gently caress yeah, Ender is a joy but also he sucks against lhp

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

fawning deference posted:

Why would the Indians refuse to include Bieber when they have Kluber/Carrasco/Bauer?

Because Harper is a replacement level player in his walk year :smug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

fawning deference posted:

There's no guarantee Harper will re-sign, so you'd be losing a promising starter in exchange for a rental. It's a risk, and I can understand them being wary.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Kinsler was most likely gone after this year anyways now that Fletcher is up so cool trade. Downside is another two months of watching Valbuena play every night.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

gently caress'S SAKE

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the nationals should be asking for mckenzie, not bieber. cleveland's insane if they refuse to include bieber. i imagine this is all just posturing, though, and something happens at the last minute. makes too much sense for washington and other teams

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

the nationals should be asking for mckenzie, not bieber. cleveland's insane if they refuse to include bieber. i imagine this is all just posturing, though, and something happens at the last minute. makes too much sense for washington and other teams

Exactly.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Johnny Bravo posted:

Kinsler was most likely gone after this year anyways now that Fletcher is up so cool trade. Downside is another two months of watching Valbuena play every night.

Call up Sherman Johnson you cowards. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kinsler was cool but I am not too sad to see him go, go get a ring dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's no guarantee Harper will re-sign, so you'd be losing a promising starter in exchange for a rental. It's a risk, and I can understand them being wary.

The Dodgers had no guarantee either, but Machado seems like such a fantastic fit for them that he's going to stay there AND get paid. I think.

• Locked thread