Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The sequels state of the universe kind of sucks and it's you know it's that way because JJ and crew just wanted to rehash the original trilogy story beats rather than do something new. I'm a firm believer you could improve on what the prequels tried to do with its overarching political look at the universe and tell an interesting story with themes that aren't just a repeat of the previous movies with new paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

jivjov posted:

The Republic also had virtually no military. One small fleet, and that got destroyed with the Hosnian system.

Why, and also did none of the individual planets have a military either?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Madurai posted:

The New Republic managed to recreate all the flaws of the old one with the added handicap of no Jedi Order.

That sounds like one less flaw to me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

General Dog posted:

Why, and also did none of the individual planets have a military either?

I'm sure they did; but not under the command of the Republic

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

IRQ posted:

That's dumb as hell and completely implausible but if that's what they're going with then everyone in the star wars universe is so oblivious it means the zerg could be literally right next door without anyone noticing and I guess that would breathe some new life into things.

Sounds like the Yuuzhan Vong really. An earlier EU writer tried to introduce some invaders from a neighbouring star system before that in Truce at Bakura too.

General Dog posted:

That sounds like one less flaw to me

Is that you Karen Traviss?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

IRQ posted:

That's dumb as hell and completely implausible but if that's what they're going with then everyone in the star wars universe is so oblivious it means the zerg could be literally right next door without anyone noticing and I guess that would breathe some new life into things.

It's literally taken right from history, the Nazis built up and trained in Russia.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's literally taken right from history, the Nazis built up and trained in Russia.

What version of history did you learn?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Zoran posted:

What version of history did you learn?

Actual history.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

That wasn't the Nazis.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm sure none of them fought for Nazi Germany, using all that training they gained in those days. Nope!

And at any rate, it doesn't change the fact that the First Order training in the fringes despite being barred from doing so by treaty is straight from history.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The military co-operation between the German Republic and The Soviet Union certainly helped the later German war machine.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm sure none of them fought for Nazi Germany, using all that training they gained in those days. Nope!

That's still not the same as the Soviets helping the Nazis build their military illegally. Be fair.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Making Star Wars (more or less the gold standard in leak sites) is saying that the new Favreau streaming series may be about the Mandalorians rebuilding after the fall of the Empire:

quote:

Rumors on Jon Favreau’s live action Star Wars television series have been circulating lately. It is still pretty early to firmly confirm much of this with 100% accurate faith. So please consider this a rumor for now that we have heard from sources who have panned out in the past. For the last few months, we keep hearing the same rumors and the rumors consist of the same general information and the same general beliefs.

Sources believe Jon Favreau’s Star Wars live action series, which is set around three years after Return of the Jedi is about the planet Mandalore. It sounds like when the Empire falls, Mandalore falls into a state of turmoil and the series is about restoring Mandalore to its former self and how Mandalore sways will have huge galactic ramifications.

This is a cool bit:

quote:

Another consistent rumor I have heard is that the effects will be seen in monitor, thanks to technology provided by ILMxLAB, so they can save money by knowing if they got what they needed right away. I don’t believe a shot has been used in a Star Wars film using the newer tech, only pre-visual work.

As a side note, shortly before Resistance starts airing, I'm going to start up a consolidated long-term Star Wars TV thread where we can discuss that, the Favreau show, and TCW S7 as they start airing (well, streaming). Less fuss than making separate, probably-less-trafficked threads for all of those.

So feel free to start working on them silly thread titles

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, I could not care less about a Mando-centric show. :sigh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It could be nice if they actually do use Mandalore to explore the post-Jakku setting in a meaningful way.

The little glimpse we got of it in the Last Shot book (New Republic facing off against pirate fleets!) was cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's also been rumblings about the budget for the show being around $100million, spread over ten episodes. So we're looking at Game of Thrones level money being spent on this.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, I could not care less about a Mando-centric show. :sigh:
:yeah:

I know there is a very stupid hours watched metric for streaming services but if you're throwing down $100M anyway just make a drat 2h15 movie. Maybe they can at least nail the pilot so it works out that way.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Basically Hux's summary of the state of the galaxy in TFA is pretty much 100% accurate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If its a post RTJ Mandolorian show, that means we'd probably see a live action Bo Katan and Fenn Rau, who both could be played in live action by their voice actors.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

twistedmentat posted:

If its a post RTJ Mandolorian show, that means we'd probably see a live action Bo Katan and Fenn Rau, who both could be played in live action by their voice actors.

Stop it I cannot get any harder.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait to see what new stupid poo poo the Mandos have gotten themselves into.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait to see what new stupid poo poo the Mandos have gotten themselves into.

From the sound of the leaks, they went and based their entire economy on supporting the Empire, so there you go.

Mandos are the Klingons of SW, except somehow infinitely more incompetent.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From the sound of the leaks, they went and based their entire economy on supporting the Empire, so there you go.
Yes this sounds like the ultimate end point of Mando's relationship with the rest of the galaxy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

I'm reading this like :raise: because I don't recall the voices and I google and find out it's Katee Sackoff and Kevin McKidd :drat:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm reading this like :raise: because I don't recall the voices and I google and find out it's Katee Sackoff and Kevin McKidd :drat:

Did you not notice Vorenus and Pullo when you watched the episodes? :aaa:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Kevin Kiner has submitted a reel of the rebels music for the emmys: https://vimeo.com/280587607

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

He deserves some recognition. The Lasat black hole theme and Sabine’s theme are the big standouts for me. Plus Thrawn’s organ music!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It was barely 10 seconds long, but I really liked Maul's twisted version of Satine's theme

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Gonna have to go back and check that out, I’m not sure I ever caught it!

Meanwhile, in a recent interview, Filoni said “it would be a shame not to use” the work that had already been done for Clone Wars, so I’m pretty certain that we’ll be seeing the two story reel arcs (Bad Batch and Crystal Crisis) in addition to Siege of Mandalore when CW comes back next year.

And, speculating further, if Favreau’s live-action series does turn out to be Mandalore-centered, I wonder if CW will lay down some story hooks for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every time I hear someone go "I didn't watch Clone Wars, it looked stupid" because the only exposure they had to it was that horrible movie they released. They honestly missed out on one of the best things with the name Star Wars on it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DancinBrud posted:

Gonna have to go back and check that out, I’m not sure I ever caught it!

It plays when Ezra first sees the Dark Saber on Dathomir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOhjZXbBjdE

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Every time I hear someone go "I didn't watch Clone Wars, it looked stupid" because the only exposure they had to it was that horrible movie they released. They honestly missed out on one of the best things with the name Star Wars on it.

Going back and watching it after watching episodes like Carnage of Krell, the Clone episodes from Season Six, or The Lawless makes it look like an unfinished story reel

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vinylshadow posted:

Going back and watching it after watching episodes like Carnage of Krell, the Clone episodes from Season Six, or The Lawless makes it look like an unfinished story reel

Yea, its too bad they lead with that, because it is so much unlike the rest of the serious. Its 10 year ago so its being talked about and people say about like Ashoka "They added a spunky sassy teen girl, wtf?" And i'm pretty sure its purely dislike of that character being added than some "GIRLS? In MY star wars??".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is a lot of stuff about that movie that reeks of teething trouble. It's like a pilot pitch reel that somehow got Sam Jackson and a theatrical release. There's the cutesy nickname stuff, the swiftly abandoned attempt to give Anakin a pseudo-Falcon ship, and the cringey attempts at broad comedy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Had the nickname "Sky Guy" and Ahsoka Tano been created during the Disney era, can you imagine the deluge of liquid poo poo that would be coming from the loudest percentage of obnoxious star wars nerds out there? Goddamn.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think most or all of that left by season two right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kingtheninja posted:

I think most or all of that left by season two right?

Yep; the creative team heard the complaints about the cutesy nicknames and juvenile humor and course corrected almost immediately....but due to production lead times, the movie, all of season 1, and half of season 2 was already done and ready for broadcast by the time audience feedback reached the production offices

So a lot of people bailed on the show after a "kiddy" first season and didn't come back when the show got better

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The first season honestly was not even that bad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MonsterEnvy posted:

The first season honestly was not even that bad.

Yeah, other than the cutesy nicknames and such, Season 1 still has solid stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

jivjov posted:

Yeah, other than the cutesy nicknames and such, Season 1 still has solid stories

The early multi-parter about the Separatist ship with the big-rear end ion cannon was legitimately bad. Skip those episodes and CW is a solid show from day one. Not counting the movie of course, which was first-draft awful.

• Locked thread