Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

DyneAvenger posted:

So I loving beefed it on the Armourer's mission to blow up a supply depot because i shot it up from my ship without reading that you need to use your multitool for it to count. And i can't for the life of me find another supply depot, even after like 30 minutes of flying around spamming the scanner and finding abandoned houses and poo poo.

Is there a way to fix this or a way to find another supply depot that isn't combing the planet?

Either find another depot randomly or take a "galactic terminal" mission to destroy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

victrix posted:

Apparently shrinking the terrain laser gets you more resources from nodes :psyduck:

I didn't even realize you could change its size
I just did a test of 2 similarly sized deposits, one with the large carving and one with the small. I got more than 2x the amount with the small than with the large so.... yeah, definitely never gonna mine with the large sphere anymore.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Well, the stupid Artemis quest chain just reset itself after I got several hours into it. I leave a planet and get hailed, oh hey Artemis. Isn't that what you said when you hailed me the first time?

*checks log*

God dammit. Unless the storyline is that Artemis is stuck in an infinite temporal loop. Then it would be okay but I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT IS THE CASE.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DaveKap posted:

... uhh that doesn't work for me at all, though. Are you supposed to use it or something?

You can stand on top of signal boosters and harvest the things that way. The aliens can’t touch you. When you clear a set of eggs, pick it up and quickly jet pack to the roof and set it up next to another egg cluster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

storage containers snap to cuboid rooms, but not to individual room parts like floors and walls

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anyone know what this is good for? None of the wikis seem to know

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know what this is good for? None of the wikis seem to know
It's good for selling. (That's a thing you'll get on a repeatable quest eventually. It's pure Unit-fodder.)

Macaluso posted:

You can stand on top of signal boosters and harvest the things that way. The aliens can’t touch you. When you clear a set of eggs, pick it up and quickly jet pack to the roof and set it up next to another egg cluster.
I'll try this, then!

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

Honestly I haven't had many problems. I have a freighter, several bases and I completed all the missions from the different employees you have. I have reached the last atlas station, gotten all blueprints for the fuels, living glass et.c., the new atlas stone replacement thingys and so on. I am at the end of the Artemis questline (doing the mercenary/explorer quests now).

The biggest bug I have had so far stemmed from joining a friends game and visiting his base (apart from the missing blueprints of course). The game got very confused about who's base it actually was and kept sending me to his base for the "base computer access" mission. Oh and there's also the issue that whoever "discovered" a planet last will be listed as the discoverer. You might have noticed that even though your friend has discovered a planet and all the animals and plants on it someone who sees the planet for the first time can discover it all over AND upload it. The animals and plants will still be listed as discovered by the original discoverer but the planet itself will change to the last person to upload it.

I also have the bug where any symbols I unlock aren't saved which I think is related to having a release save.

I'm playing multiplayer with a buddy as well. Both of us on pre-NEXT saves on PS4. And we're seeing the same thing with uploaded discoveries. But I'm pretty sure the culprit is their servers. He keeps renaming planets and whenever I'm disconnected from the servers they keep reverting to their original names. If I'm connected I see his names again. Other than that we've only encountered some slowdown and a bit of redundant scanning of animals if we're standing next to each other. Animals that we've scanned pop up with a red dot again, and when scanned they all are called Feed. They still pay out units and nanities, so it's no big deal.
You might say they're feeding our bank accounts :rimshot:

We're both getting glyphs from unmarked graves, if that's what you refer to with unlocking symbols.

During the sixty or so hours played, he's been doing all the questlines, built a base, got a freighter, blueprint scanner etc while I'm just zipping around from planet to planet, killing sentinels and pirates and doing fuckall with regards to questing. I can use portals to go to his bases, and whenever I'm at one I get the base buildingmenu, so I'm pretty sure we could build poo poo together if I could be bothered. All in all it's fun game 4 out of 5, would scan again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gravitino Balls, keep for later or sell?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Steve Yun posted:

IMO they aren't worth enough money to deal with the sentinels. There are tons of way better and less dealing with sentinels ways to get money in this game

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight

Steve Yun posted:

Keep one for a Base quest, the rest you can sell.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

DaveKap posted:

It's good for selling. (That's a thing you'll get on a repeatable quest eventually. It's pure Unit-fodder.)

Came just to ask about this very thing. Got 4 green items from a 1 star exploration expedition. Money in the bank!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nice! Added to Post 2.0

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
When I was joining random multiplayer games to upgrade my exosuit slots, I was also shopping. The whole suit grind netted me an S rank ship and multi tool.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I think I may have missed getting the recipe for microprocessors, because I had a stack of them already when my get overseer time me to get the recipe from the korvax. So I think the game skipped the part where it gave me the actual recipe.

I can still buy microprocessors, of course, so it's not game-breaking, but will I be able to pull the recipe for microprocessors out of a manufacturing facility or vendor instead?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't even remember getting the recipe for superconductors. Apparently I got it somewhere in the first like 5 hours of play

So has anyone data mined what upgrades for Freighters will eventually be? There are currently literally none, right?

Also where the blue hell do you get those frigate mission boosting items?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Good thing I sold those green items cause the next system I jumped to had this for sale in the station. It might not be S rank but damnit it's mine. Upgraded from a class B with half the slots broken. Is there an upgrade that speeds up scanning time when you hold F?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

precision posted:

I don't even remember getting the recipe for superconductors. Apparently I got it somewhere in the first like 5 hours of play

So has anyone data mined what upgrades for Freighters will eventually be? There are currently literally none, right?

Also where the blue hell do you get those frigate mission boosting items?

I've gotten some of them ( Mind control device, explosive drones or whatever. ) from smashing up sentinel spaceships. I've also gotten recipes for atleast one of them from manifacturing plants.

So just grab/buy yourself a fighter, load it up with some extra shields and weapons, and blast some of them out of the sky if you want a couple. (I'm a big fan of the shotgun/Positron one. It's short range, but it'll rip apart most ships in 1-3 shots. It's also excellent for destroying all ground-based sentinels as well. )

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SubNat posted:

So just grab/buy yourself a fighter, load it up with some extra shields and weapons, and blast some of them out of the sky if you want a couple. (I'm a big fan of the shotgun/Positron one. It's short range, but it'll rip apart most ships in 1-3 shots. It's also excellent for destroying all ground-based sentinels as well. )

I was wondering if you were allowed to use the ship to aim at ground-based critters. Whenever I get in it they all vanish until I leave it again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are albumen pearls worth dealing with the sentinel zerg rush? I was exploring my nice planet and found a bunch of sentient plants, they opened up to reveal pearls and I just left them there cause I ain't up for that bullshit yet

Also apparently I built my base about half an hour's walk from a trading post. There was a manufacturing facility beyond that that I tried to blow up the door with my ship's guns, but as soon as I got in the ship in the first place I lost the waypoint, and when I outran the sentinels I also couldn't find the facility any more

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Albumen pearls no longer trigger sentinels, but they're not a particularly good source of money any more.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I was wondering if you were allowed to use the ship to aim at ground-based critters. Whenever I get in it they all vanish until I leave it again.

The game is just terrible at quickly despawning things. I've seen the quads vanish off if I go too far away. I have successfully killed both large animals and obscene amounts of sentinels in my ship though.
But for the most part they'll stick around especially if they're pre-placed, or are currently in battle with you.
I just swoop in slowly, fire off a barrage, and then loop around to fire again.

The smaller sentinels can sometimes get one-shot by individual positron pellets if it hits their eye perfectly. While the quads seem to die in a single shot as well.
With the walkers I'll easily melt off all the armor on the legs in the first swoop.

Quads being so easy to kill on the ground makes some of the missions trivially easy. Since the Kill X quads always just seems to be 1-2.
And since a lot of manifacturing plants are often guarded by 2 quads, you can just fly by, shoot out 2 shots, and you're done.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ah cool, I'll try it again later then. I got one egg then had to run from horrors, but when I got in the ship they were gone until I got back out thinking it was safe (it wasn't lol). The egg bought me an upgrade to double my jetpack time that I hope doesn't matter where it was installed so it all worked out.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Has any of you tried survival or permadeath mode in multiplayer? I wonder if the scarcity of resources would make it even harder to progress than on your own.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Duke Chin posted:

How do you claim your old base? I have a storage unit I can't build or get access to because it's somewhere ~~in the Ether~~ after the next update and I can't get the blueprint reader machine to work and that Home Base Restoration mission is broken

E: and what the heck is the Base Salvage Capsule for?

You are supposed to have a mission if you are on an old save for reclaiming it. If you do have it, then scan a planet from your ship and it should ping a base computer that you fly to and use to get your stuff back. I haven't successfully tried it yet because the quest was completely broken for me, but allegedly it has been patched.

d0grent posted:

Is the multi-tool you get from stations right next to the dude who sells multi-tool upgrades? Cause it won't let me interact with those multi-tools at all...

I find that it is much easier to interact with it in third person. In first person you have to dance around to find the perfect sliver of an angle that works.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah cool, I'll try it again later then. I got one egg then had to run from horrors, but when I got in the ship they were gone until I got back out thinking it was safe (it wasn't lol). The egg bought me an upgrade to double my jetpack time that I hope doesn't matter where it was installed so it all worked out.

Ah, the biological horrors are a whole different ballpark. I dunno how those are in regards to ships.
Not that it would matter much, because they basically respawn more or less as quickly as you can kill them. Hopping in a plane and blasting them won't solve much.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It sounds like everyone is a lot farther into NEXT than I, but I'm having a lot of fun relearning how to play No Man's Sky. I pre-ordered the game on PS4 the night before release because I was pumped to get a little high and explore alien worlds, but eventually I found myself just chaining hyperspace jumps together and only stopping long enough to harvest materials for more jumps, and I lost interest quickly after that. Now I'm back with a fresh save and it feels a lot more like Factorio than it used to, which I dig. There are still some hitches, like taking a 7 minute hike towards a point of interest just to discover that it requires a bunch of crap I've never heard of, and finding copper is a huge pain in my rear end, but I can feel the hooks digging into me. I'm only to the part where you're instructed on how to buy and sell items, which meant I could finally open up some of my precious inventory slots, but I'm eager to get back into it and hopefully find myself a freighter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LawfulWaffle posted:

It sounds like everyone is a lot farther into NEXT than I, but I'm having a lot of fun relearning how to play No Man's Sky. I pre-ordered the game on PS4 the night before release because I was pumped to get a little high and explore alien worlds, but eventually I found myself just chaining hyperspace jumps together and only stopping long enough to harvest materials for more jumps, and I lost interest quickly after that. Now I'm back with a fresh save and it feels a lot more like Factorio than it used to, which I dig. There are still some hitches, like taking a 7 minute hike towards a point of interest just to discover that it requires a bunch of crap I've never heard of, and finding copper is a huge pain in my rear end, but I can feel the hooks digging into me. I'm only to the part where you're instructed on how to buy and sell items, which meant I could finally open up some of my precious inventory slots, but I'm eager to get back into it and hopefully find myself a freighter.

Copper is apparently the rarest mineral in the universe. :argh:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Sure, we complain about the superheated rain storms, but did you know they're one of the most realistic aspects of the game? :smugdog:

https://twitter.com/wunderground/status/1025383601032970241?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Buying uranium and dioxide and then doubling my farmed liquid glass mats is making me very rich.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Found a stargate so I did the first thing that came to mind: build a cozy little frontier resort lodge and bar. Full album is here.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

3 posted:

Found a stargate so I did the first thing that came to mind: build a cozy little frontier resort lodge and bar. Full album is here.

This is really cool, nice work

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You're all complaining about rain meanwhile I got to run away from firestorms in my first ten minutes of the game. I only survived because I accidentally fell into a cave.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yeah this reminds me - how do I increase my health over the starting three?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kikas posted:

IIRC exosuit shield upgrades increase both health and shield strength.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kikas posted:

shield modules raise your health, I believe.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

3 posted:

Man I'd drop by, but stargates are bugged and you can only ever collect the first rune :v:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
How do I use this to make mad cash ?

I'm nower near being able to make the subcomponents :sadpeanut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
You guys have been talking about resetting quests - how do you do that on PS4? My base computer quest is currently pointing me at a system that it's not in.