Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yep, pretty much.

The thing is that they used to be mostly funny, quirky and pretty low-list celebrities who made gag appearances and were throwaway jokes used for a few lines. Adam West, The Ramones, etc. I remember when the Mel Gibson episode happened and how weird it felt for Homer to team up with a real person, since literally everyone else, including their local celebs like Krusty or Kent Brockman, were all imaginary.

Hell, Michael Jackson didn’t even play himself. Imagine how different it would be if the Michael Jackson episode had been done in the modern Simpsons era.

But this is a discussion that should probably continue in the Simpsons lowest point thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Michael Jackson did play himself, he just used a pseudonym.

e: durr, he voice acted, but didn't play himself. hurrr

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Their use of Micheal Jackson was certainly very clever, but he did actually voice the character in the episode he just didn't do the singing for reasons I can't recall.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
He did it literally to confuse the audience, something that 2018 Simpsons would never dare do

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
at my parents place this weekend w/their old timey cable package. watching a 4 hour block of nu Simpsons on much music

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Coldplay cameo.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I feel like S10E8 is specifically where this happened, the guest stars were the plot and not there to service the plot.

When You Dish Upon a Star

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Dish_Upon_a_Star

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

I feel like S10E8 is specifically where this happened, the guest stars were the plot and not there to service the plot.

This is the one.

If "Last Exit to Springfield" is the defining episode of classic Simpsons, this one defines the the beginning of the "half assed celebrity self praise" era.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

you did it. the mad man did it

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

The thing is that they used to be mostly funny, quirky and pretty low-list celebrities who made gag appearances and were throwaway jokes used for a few lines. Adam West, The Ramones, etc. I remember when the Mel Gibson episode happened and how weird it felt for Homer to team up with a real person, since literally everyone else, including their local celebs like Krusty or Kent Brockman, were all imaginary.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SirPablo posted:

Yeah this is when it became really obvious to me and I couldn't unsee it. The episode where Homer crashed thru that skylight

I always remembered it being David duchovny lol not Baldwin

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah this is when it became really obvious to me and I couldn't unsee it. The episode where Homer crashed thru that skylight

Nah, Duchovny was two seasons before that shitbag episode, and was great.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cacator posted:

People have been saying this for at least 20 years

I know. I guess I didn’t notice it when I was still watching it on TV up until like 2004.

It helps that they were always jumbled together and I never really followed the new episodes, I just saw it whenever it was on. It was harder to see a trend when they were never in order of appearance, when there were more good seasons than bad at that point, and I was a kid and it didn’t matter anyway haha.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

That's the other thing, they didn't even go out with a bang and get good celebrities when they shat that episode out.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

I feel like Mel gibson shooting an assault rifle and doing the curly spin is the last time I laughed at a new episode of the simpsons because this made me laugh really hard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

khwarezm posted:

Their use of Micheal Jackson was certainly very clever, but he did actually voice the character in the episode he just didn't do the singing for reasons I can't recall.

Contract issues, I think. Music labels being basically a mafia and all that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Tik Tok opening was the one that got me off nu-Simpsons, and I held that position for like two or three years. I'd watched every episode week by week since I was a grubling in 1990. After I got over that I watched all the new ones up until the most recent one that "addressed" the Apu controversy. Now I'm done.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Why did you even bother to catch up?

Like I can understand watching out of inertia or habit. But I can't understand, knowing how mediocre the series can be, that you would willingly spend time trying to catch up something that bland and revoltingly inoffensive.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I don't know if everyone's reading that Brock Lesnar thread but there have been a notable number of Simpsons meme contributions there (admittedly due to a couple of us being repeat offenders there)

Peanut President posted:

idea stolen from the simpsons meme thread

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

umalt posted:

Why did you even bother to catch up?

Like I can understand watching out of inertia or habit. But I can't understand, knowing how mediocre the series can be, that you would willingly spend time trying to catch up something that bland and revoltingly inoffensive.

It really did get better after the mid-2000's nadir.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I gave a up a little around season 15-16, came back around season 20, gave up again a couple years ago.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"Ritual" is probably the most appropriate word. I used to watch weekly for waaay too long. I gave up on the jockey episode when I noticed I wasn't laughing, but gave it another shot later on. I knew I wasn't really getting anything out of it, but the Moe saves Maggie episode is the one that re-broke the camel's back and made me abandon all hope for new ones

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Moe saves Maggie? Sure, why not.

In today's episode, [character] [verb] [character]

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

A lot of this conversation would be better served in my popular, long-running thread “What was the lowest point of The Simpsons”

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808768

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Wizard Master posted:

A lot of this conversation would be better served in my popular, long-running thread “What was the lowest point of The Simpsons”

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808768

It was never popular!

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phlegmish posted:

Moe saves Maggie? Sure, why not.

In today's episode, [character] [verb] [character]

https://youtu.be/TiffTI2WRLs
This song is 16 years old. They were making jokes about running out of stories more than half of the show's run ago.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SpacePig posted:

https://youtu.be/TiffTI2WRLs
This song is 16 years old. They were making jokes about running out of stories more than half of the show's run ago.

And did someone say long lost triplets?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ay caramba! 

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I found the mega-hams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLeyITbK5AU

also re-posting this from page 9 because it's still one of my favorites:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Steamed Hams is such a good meme that I can just read a title and burst into tears from hilarity

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Komojo posted:

I found the mega-hams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLeyITbK5AU

also re-posting this from page 9 because it's still one of my favorites:

I never realized that "You call hamburgers steamed hams :crossarms:" happens exactly halfway through the clip.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 6, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

This is like a religious experience or something.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXKoiJrEUtI

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

turn on the captions for this

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

turn on the captions for this

:dudsmile:

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Big old plates of meat there

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I laughed. It's good, but this really needs to be re-shopped for the lemon face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Good lord!

Also, I like how the fire truck eats up all the panels at the end like a red, fire-truck shaped Pac-Man.
:hmmyes: