Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wrestlepig posted:

Yelmalio can piss off. He doesn't let women join his cult, they ally with the worst people and he doesn't give out cool fire magic. His big myth is about getting owned by cooler gods and then being really proud he doesn't have sex. All he does that's any good is teach people to use pikes and shields at the same time. If you aren't a Balazaring where he's buddies with dogs and the alternative is worshipping the spirit of a rock or some bullshit, don't bother and stick with Lodril.

Please use english?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gridlocked posted:

Please use english?

Lodril is the peasant god of the solar pantheon, and Yelm's brother. He's the patron god of men who work the land, as opposed to Yelm who is the god of men who live in the city. Among many other things, Lodril is the god of loosening up a little, and he is both crude and powerful -- he teaches men how to use the long and short spear, and is the god of heat without light and gaining mastery over the Earth through honest toil.

A Lodrili hero is strong, hardy, reliable, easygoing, and can skewer 10 people at a time with two spears that are on fire before wrestling all their friends into submission. He is also probably a part of the Brotherhood of the Invisible Spear, who teach each other esoteric spear-fighting techniques while masked to hide their identities from jealous overlords.

The aristocracy always look down on the lodrili, which is a mistake. He is the Volcano God, and many tyrants have fallen to the spears of the enraged peasantry.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

wiegieman posted:

Lodril is the peasant god of the solar pantheon, and Yelm's brother. He's the patron god of men who work the land, as opposed to Yelm who is the god of men who live in the city. Among many other things, Lodril is the god of loosening up a little, and he is both crude and powerful -- he teaches men how to use the long and short spear, and is the god of heat without light and gaining mastery over the Earth through honest toil.

A Lodrili hero is strong, hardy, reliable, easygoing, and can skewer 10 people at a time with two spears that are on fire before wrestling all their friends into submission. He is also probably a part of the Brotherhood of the Invisible Spear, who teach each other esoteric spear-fighting techniques while masked to hide their identities from jealous overlords.

The aristocracy always look down on the lodrili, which is a mistake. He is the Volcano God, and many tyrants have fallen to the spears of the enraged peasantry.

Sounds like my kind of god :ussr:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Lodril is also totally god of The Spear if you know what I'm saying. Yelm is beyond the world, Yelmalio is whatever the gently caress he is, Elmal was super down with Chalana Arroy but Lodril is just down. He is the passionate aspect of fire in all good and bad ways and he flat out laid his spear in the earth. He's no Veskarthan but he is fire. In the Solar Pantheon he is easily the most mellow by a large margin.

TGG fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 7, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

TGG posted:

Lodril is also totally god of The Spear if you know what I'm saying. Yelm is beyond the world, Yelmalio is whatever the gently caress he is, Elmal was super down with Chalana Arroy but Lodril is just down. He is the passionate aspect of fire in all good and bad ways and he flat out laid his spear in the earth. He's no Veskarthan but he is fire. In the Solar Pantheon he is easily the most mellow by a large margin.

No, he actually is Vestkarthen. Like, they are literally the same god, that's just what Orlanthi call him. Lodril really got around, way more than you'd think. In both ways, even!

Just to be clear, it's not even godlearnerism: Orlanthi call the god the Lordili worship Vestkarthen.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NewMars posted:

Yelmalions are basically insular jerks who combine the worst parts of prehellenic greeks and persians, without going full on Assyria like Dara Happa.

:stare: Okay, someone has to elaborate on Dara Happa now.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

:stare: Okay, someone has to elaborate on Dara Happa now.

The Dara Happans spring from three closely-allied city states who are part of the same empire, the empire mind you, that we were once the southern jewel of. These cities are Alkoth, Raibainth and Yuthuppa. They are extremely patriarchal and ultra-hierarchical societies that practice chattel slavery and socially and religiously dominate nearby societies, especially the Lodrili. They live in cities and only cities, which are self-evidently to them the only way to live. The Assyrian parts? They're big on the empire business, extremely big. They were the solar empire you know, just like us. But while they do practice brutality on the conquered people, it's only the Alkothi who go the whole way. Alkoth is built on hell, it is literally halfway inside not just the underworld, but the bad demon-infested part of it. And the Alkothi take a lot of that with them where they go. There is a a wall of green stone around Alkoth, built not to keep people out, but to keep them in.

And when they get out, they always go nuts on anyone in their way. They will burn your homes and cook your children, make your bones into tableware and laugh. Everyone is afraid of them, except other Dara Happans, because Alkoth's red god Shargash is, in the end, loyal to Yelm.

But Yelm is dead and we are no longer Dara Happans.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Earlier on someone mentioned someone named Delecti, who apparently had undead killer whales. Can we get huge amounts of elaboration?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
He’s a later figure who is indirectly important in king of dragon pass (he’s the reason the upland marsh in dragon pass is full of undead and thus why the marsh ducks have a cult of hardcore humakt worshippers). He survived the dragonkill by becoming undead which was enough not like humans that the dragons didn’t notice him, I guess. I don’t know anything about his killer whale though.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Yes, I would like to order a humakt duck, to go.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
LP dead

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:mad: you people always get back to this right before i do

update this afternoon/evening

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:mad: you people always get back to this right before i do

update this afternoon/evening

The first step of the Ritual to summon the update is to ceremonially pronounce the LP dead

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

cheetah7071 posted:

The first step of the Ritual to summon the update is to ceremonially pronounce the LP dead

I mean, you can't resurrect something that's still living; that's just common sense.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I mean, you can't resurrect something that's still living; that's just common sense.
You suppose to reenact his death in the ritual like:

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS LP IS DEAD"

On 5 goods worth of personal belongings.

Then you will get blessed with an update.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just checked and a cow is like $1-3000. I don't think I can afford that kind of sacrifice

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

cheetah7071 posted:

I just checked and a cow is like $1-3000. I don't think I can afford that kind of sacrifice

How much is a ram?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ah, but the ritual only calls for 'goods' specifically- it's is only ancient and outmoded tradition that says they have to be goods worth that many cows! So if a ritual calls for 5 goods, then that is strictly all you have to sacrifice! Surely you've got some old things you don't mind getting rid of, right? There you go, problem solved!

EDIT: See? It says 'Goods' right there, not 'Cows' worth of goods'! :smug:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 9, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

andrew smash posted:

He’s a later figure who is indirectly important in king of dragon pass (he’s the reason the upland marsh in dragon pass is full of undead and thus why the marsh ducks have a cult of hardcore humakt worshippers). He survived the dragonkill by becoming undead which was enough not like humans that the dragons didn’t notice him, I guess. I don’t know anything about his killer whale though.

The best part about Delecti is he was a God Learner who went on to join the EWF, and now is allied with the Lunars, and he's still around. Delecti knows how to take care of Delecti is what I'm saying.

He's also the reason the Upland Marsh IS. Also, I'm pretty sure the undead killer whale also has metal teeth, dinosaur legs and tentacles. Delecti likes grafting various parts of various things on his zombies.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Epicurius posted:

The best part about Delecti is he was a God Learner who went on to join the EWF, and now is allied with the Lunars, and he's still around. Delecti knows how to take care of Delecti is what I'm saying.

That is an amazing resume, and should probably make the Lunars worried.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What are Glorantha demons like?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TGG posted:

Every good Lodrili bears three spears into battle.

The first is the Long Spear, for the slaying of trolls and horse-riders, and the setting into the ground alongside his brothers. At the command of Lodril, it shall erupt as flame, that all may behold his prowess and know fear.

The second is the Slightly Less Long Spear, for the slaying of men, and the demonstration of his prowess among brothers. At the command of Lodril, it shall erupt as flame, that all may behold his prowess and know respect.

The third is the Finely Formed Spear, for the humbling of lesser men, and the demonstration of his prowess among women. At the command of Lodril, it shall erupt as flame, that all may behold his prowess and know envy.

City Lodrili practice the rite of thrusting their spears into the earth to honor their god. Rural Lodrili know their god is best honored in the eruption from the earth, and also that the priestesses of the Earth Tribe are generally juuust about down to party as they are.

(the flaw of the Earth Tribe is that they are greedy and lustful. Lodril is Fire Tribe, but is generally venerated as the Fire Within The Earth. he has picked up some bad habits. one of these bad habits is Always Horny All The Time.)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So what happens if you kick a Lordili in the Finely Crafted Spear?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Do you want the take the risk of it literally erupting into flame when you try?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Anticheese posted:

What are Glorantha demons like?

In glorantha, demon just means "spirit, god or even person that is extremely dangerous." It doesn't even mean that you don't like them, just that they, on a personal level are very dangerous to be around.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
kind of implies that they're not part of your pantheon though. Orlanth definitely fits all of those criteria, and an Orlanthi wouldn't call him a demon though a dara happan might.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

andrew smash posted:

kind of implies that they're not part of your pantheon though. Orlanth definitely fits all of those criteria, and an Orlanthi wouldn't call him a demon though a dara happan might.

What I was implying is that demon is a label, not a designation. And it's worth noting that even deities of a pantheon who are friendly-ish are called demons sometimes. Like Shargash, who is still a demon to the Dara Happans, despite being patron of Alkoth. Also Zorak Zoran, the troll berzerker god, whose fondest title is "Lord Demon of the Armies of Death."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
AFAIK, Demons in Glorantha are any creature that's made up of runic energy as opposed to physical matter (though those categories admittedly do occasionally overlap).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s mostly used for Underworld associated entities, like the Lunar Tax Demons.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Wrestlepig posted:

Lunar Tax Demons.

...go on.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
They drag you to hell if you try to dodge your taxes pretty much

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Magic IRS so scary

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Lunars are like one big answer to the question "What's the most horrible way we could do this thing that most people would agree is necessary?" Like, they don't have to use the giant human sacrifice fueled flying siege monster to win their wars, but they do anyway.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

wiegieman posted:

The Lunars are like one big answer to the question "What's the most horrible way we could do this thing that most people would agree is necessary?" Like, they don't have to use the giant human sacrifice fueled flying siege monster to win their wars, but they do anyway.

I mean if you have them might as well use them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Actually one of the hosed things about Glorantha is that sometimes they basically do. Pretty much every single people in the setting can get real scary if backed into a corner and are willing to go balls to the wall.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

wiegieman posted:

What, you think it'd be better if the giant Chaos monstrosity were unemployed?

Also, Delecti has one of my favorite survival strategies: when someone comes along who wants you dead, just be dead already until they go away.

He's the Doctor Doom of Glorantha. Just replace Doombots with zombies. And Latverians with zombies. Come to think of it, just replace everything with zombies.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually one of the hosed things about Glorantha is that sometimes they basically do. Pretty much every single people in the setting can get real scary if backed into a corner and are willing to go balls to the wall.

c.f. Everyone, everywhere.

Like one of the places I love that doesn't get a lot of write up is the season wars, where a series of imperialist slavers descended on an area and got their poo poo shoved in by a loose alliance of elves and Orlanthi just plain leaping over walls using snow drifts and giving slaves weaponry.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A citizen of the lunar empire can go major in chaos studies at Madness College then run off to join the Vampire Brigades while dutifully paying the Tax Demons. Everyone has their place in the world, after all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I like the art on the event we got in Late Dark.

Nanomashoes posted:

Fun fact about Shargash is that he’s the one that killed Umath, the first air god, as depicted in like the second piece of art in the game. This was before anyone had Death (probably), but he did it anyway. You don’t really want to mess with Shargash or any Alkothi if you can help it.

He was effectively an option for our ancestral foe by way of the War of Many Suns, which would have given us bonuses against him if he shows up or his worshipers if they do. (and also made him and his worshipers like us less)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

NewMars posted:

The Dara Happans spring from three closely-allied city states who are part of the same empire, the empire mind you, that we were once the southern jewel of. These cities are Alkoth, Raibainth and Yuthuppa. They are extremely patriarchal and ultra-hierarchical societies that practice chattel slavery and socially and religiously dominate nearby societies, especially the Lodrili. They live in cities and only cities, which are self-evidently to them the only way to live. The Assyrian parts? They're big on the empire business, extremely big. They were the solar empire you know, just like us. But while they do practice brutality on the conquered people, it's only the Alkothi who go the whole way. Alkoth is built on hell, it is literally halfway inside not just the underworld, but the bad demon-infested part of it. And the Alkothi take a lot of that with them where they go. There is a a wall of green stone around Alkoth, built not to keep people out, but to keep them in.

And when they get out, they always go nuts on anyone in their way. They will burn your homes and cook your children, make your bones into tableware and laugh. Everyone is afraid of them, except other Dara Happans, because Alkoth's red god Shargash is, in the end, loyal to Yelm.

But Yelm is dead and we are no longer Dara Happans.

Fun fact about Shargash is that he’s the one that killed Umath, the first air god, as depicted in like the second piece of art in the game. This was before anyone had Death (probably), but he did it anyway. You don’t really want to mess with Shargash or any Alkothi if you can help it.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 9, 2018