Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I may have mentioned, but when reading Dune I couldn't help but picture Baron Harkonnen as Dr Weird from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Gentlemen! Behold! The Cat-Milk!

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
thump

edited to add actual content: One thing I always thought was interesting was that Teg was 296 without the spice so clearly, the breeding program was a major success in several ways following Leto II. That and probably medicine and other things and whathaveyou.

Jesus In A Can fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 6, 2018

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1026614353909440512?s=19

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Healthy young Kwisatz Haderach goes to Arrakis, gets pumped with massive dose of water of life, is sleeper and awakens. PRESCIENCE! Many such cases! they tried and died

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Combine Honnet Ober Advancer Memes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

Combine Honnet Ober Advancer Memes

Neutralis Organizational Abba Mercantile Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Minnehaha Shostakovich Kategorial Imperative

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
ndue, sdeert plaent

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I realized this morning that Duke Leto is a superb example of a human, as per Reverend Mother Mohiam's definition:

quote:

A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind.

Duke Leto, knowing that the Lady Jessica was loyal to him beyond all others, yet faced with a rumor of her betrayal... endured the pain of deceiving her into believing that he believed it, endured the agony that her pain caused him, that he might ensnare the source of the rumor and thereby remove a threat to his beloved concubine. Human. The gom jabbar at his neck was sharper than most.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I'm reading the first one again and I absolutely love the way he describes landscapes and the motion of natural forces. Just got done with the part where they crash their second ornithopter and have to retrieve their pack from the sand. I swear, I reread the book and find a new word every time. This time it was "burnoose".

Dune!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Arrakis is basically the real main character of Dune.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
According to some characters, it's also the villain.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
#arrakisdidnothingwrong

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No-thing!? This no-technology has gone too far

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Makers are a Fremen myth! There was NO COLLUSION with IX!! What about Lady Jessica's 10,000 shigawire spools?
Make Arrakis Great Again!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Burnoose would have won.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
BUT HER DISTRANS!!!

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I just want to say that I saw Toto in concert on Friday and as part of their 40-year retrospective, they busted out the Desert Theme and rocked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFsoW6aHvM

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

I realized this morning that Duke Leto is a superb example of a human, as per Reverend Mother Mohiam's definition:

Duke Leto, knowing that the Lady Jessica was loyal to him beyond all others, yet faced with a rumor of her betrayal... endured the pain of deceiving her into believing that he believed it, endured the agony that her pain caused him, that he might ensnare the source of the rumor and thereby remove a threat to his beloved concubine. Human. The gom jabbar at his neck was sharper than most.

Same about Leto II. Becoming a giant worm snd possibly remaining half concious among worm bodies for eternity is a hell of a trap

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Testikles posted:

Same about Leto II. Becoming a giant worm snd possibly remaining half concious among worm bodies for eternity is a hell of a trap

Which is kind of funny, when you think about it. Paul, the first person we ever see subjected to the gom jabar, ultimately fails the test by refusing to stay in the trap.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Generation too early

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Do the bad Brian books have the clones of Alia and Feyd gently caress? Because their kid was going to be the real Kumquat Hagendaaz.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Do the bad Brian books have the clones of Alia and Feyd gently caress? Because their kid was going to be the real Kumquat Hagendaaz.

Their gholas gently caress and have a kid who's pre-born and grows to an adult in like a year. But his super intelligence causes him to see fighting the machines is futile so he ends up siding with them and has to be killed by a Teg clone who's alerted to the treachery by a message from his future self.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I made that up but it's so stupid that it's exactly the kind of crap KJA/@duneauthor would pull so you all bought it for a second. Even those of you that actually read the books thought "wait... did that happen?"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Their gholas gently caress and have a kid who's pre-born and grows to an adult in like a year. But his super intelligence causes him to see fighting the machines is futile so he ends up siding with them and has to be killed by a Teg clone who's alerted to the treachery by a message from his future self.

I literally have no clue whether you’re making that up or not. I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I literally have no clue whether you’re making that up or not. I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

:same:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

here, sample some real @duneauthor canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91RyWQkgjSE

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I will never click that link as long as I live.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Prepare to die

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Folks, we're building these no ships, they're fantastic. Have you heard about these? You can't see them. They're invisible. You can't even see them!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dear Denis-

I was thinking for your movie you could introduce a totally new character into the setting. His name is Bryon Hirbirt and he's totally rad. He's Paul's best bud, but Paul isn't Bryon's best bud cuz Bryon is too cool for that poo poo. He does everything Paul does except better. When Paul drinks the Water of Life Bryon is there watching and he's like "Pfff, watch this!" and then he mainlines ultraspice. This gives him better versions of all of Paul's powers and makes his peener enlengthen (this is a word, I am a writer). In the climactic battle between Paul and Feyd at the end, Paul is about to get beaten before Bryon swings in and roundhouse kicks Feyd IN HIS BALLS.

As much as I wish I could take credit for this amazing character, I actually found the description of him in my father's notes. It was included in a draft manuscript titled "The Version of Dune I Wish I'd Written - There's Robots!"

-Brian "Dune Author" Herbert

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

adebisi lives posted:

Folks, we're building these no ships, they're fantastic. Have you heard about these? You can't see them. They're invisible. You can't even see them!

The God-Emperor’s new ship

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The God-Emperor’s new ship

:awesomelon:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Makers are a Fremen myth! There was NO COLLUSION with IX!! What about Lady Jessica's 10,000 shigawire spools?
Make Arrakis Great Again!

make arrakis green again

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Vlad Harkonnen running for president while his two inept adult sons Rabban and Feyd stumble through attempts to get help from the Corrinos to subvert the elections, and his hot daughter Jessica has to constantly talk him out of horrid twitter tirades.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stryder posted:

I just want to say that I saw Toto in concert on Friday and as part of their 40-year retrospective, they busted out the Desert Theme and rocked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFsoW6aHvM
I bless the rains down in Arakeen

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Murray Mantoinette posted:

This is legit better than the actual canon (lol) by @duneauthor from the ultra spice video linked on this page. It’s still terrible btw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This is legit better than the actual canon (lol) by @duneauthor from the ultra spice video linked on this page. It’s still terrible btw

holy poo poo

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Of course it’s terrible. My only thought while writing this was "how could I turn a dune sequel into a scene from a marvel movie and also I’m a big pasty idiot retard" and it wrote itself! i am a big pasty retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry