Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

You guys aren't playing this game right...

Maybe you played flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Unrelated note, why do people like The Deed of Paksennarion? Even for genre fiction it's not very good, it's a straight adaption of a "not stupid" AD&D paladin into D&D land, except that the author has no idea how characterization works so the enemies are a god of torture and a god of...spiders and evil plans? Wheel of Time at least had the Eastern philosophy recursion thing that made it kinda fun, but the Paks/Kvothe quality comparisons would seem to fit perfectly.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Stuporstar posted:

Nah, most fiction that was popular in its day has been entirely forgotten and rightly so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTvEbUkeLM

"Ahh... 'The "Giants"'..."

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I saw Tak at Gencon.

I can confirm it is wood. I can't confirm that when you put all the wood together the result is a board game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I played tak with a friend a few weeks ago. It was pretty fun.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's a beautiful game.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

How much did your college debt increase by playing it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Benson Cunningham posted:

How much did your college debt increase by playing it?
I'm so poor I had to buy and then sell a lute at a loss just to break even.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I play Tak a few times whenever I'm at my buddy's place. It's a pretty fun drunk game. I only have two other friends that play it, and they play it all the time, so I barely ever win.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah but how beautiful is it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Imagine Connect Four meets Tic Tak Toe. That beautiful. We had pizza delivered once and the pizza guy was like "That's a beautiful game." True story.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Solice Kirsk posted:

Imagine Connect Four meets Tic Tak Toe. That beautiful. We had pizza delivered once and the pizza guy was like "That's a beautiful game." True story.

Pizza deliverymen are the true arbiters of beauty in this cruel world.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Why should the pizza guy not be able to see the beauty of this game? It is a beautiful game.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Why should the pizza guy not be able to see the beauty of this game? It is a beautiful game.

Because the only reason to invite a pizza delivery guy inside is to gently caress them. It's incredibly inconsiderate to their fantasies to invite them inside for any other reasons. Like to look at a board game.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Because the only reason to invite a pizza delivery guy inside is to gently caress them. It's incredibly inconsiderate to their fantasies to invite them inside for any other reasons. Like to look at a board game.

Or to smoke weed. It's not ALWAYS about sex :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That's an option? I've never hosed a pizza delivery guy! :cry:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Or to smoke weed. It's not ALWAYS about sex :colbert:

Actually that's a fair point. Sex and/or drugs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Y'know, I was rereading Earthsea while on vacation and it's pretty hilarious how much Rothfuss wanted to write the first book of that.
Which has like 150 pages.
And actual themes.
And a plot.
And is much better-written.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

anilEhilated posted:

Y'know, I was rereading Earthsea while on vacation and it's pretty hilarious how much Rothfuss wanted to write the first book of that.
And actual themes.
And a plot.
earthsea gets stolen from so hard by every single wannabe high fantasy superstar, even though nobody i talk to ever seems to have read the original books. strangely enough they never steal the bit where the educated scientific societies are all brown/black and the only white people are strange dangerous religious fanatics in the desert

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I just finished the second book a couple days ago. I got the first one at a goodwill for $1 and I didn't enjoy it extremely but it was intriguing and it was a surprisingly quick read considering the length. I thought the second book couldn't be as bad as people said it was but I was so so wrong. Goddamn.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

dudeness posted:

I just finished the second book a couple days ago. I got the first one at a goodwill for $1 and I didn't enjoy it extremely but it was intriguing and it was a surprisingly quick read considering the length. I thought the second book couldn't be as bad as people said it was but I was so so wrong. Goddamn.
thought you were referring to earthsea for a second and fired up lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
★★★★☆

HULK SMASH KVOTHE!

KVOTHE CAN DO ANYTHING AND THAT MAKE HULK ANGRY! NOT BECAUSE HULK IS JEALOUS! BUT BECAUSE HULK THINKS THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND MAKES HULK ROLL EYES AND SNORT AT THOUGHT OF 100% PERFECT KVOTHE! KVOTHE IS BEST LUTE PLAYER, IS BEST SONG WRITER, IS BEST WEAPON-MAKER, IS BEST FIGHTER, IS BEST ACTOR, IS BEST INVESTIGATOR, IS BEST KILLER, IS BEST GIRL RESCUER, IS BEST MAGICIAN, IS BEST IS BEST IS BEST IS BEST! EVEN FAERIE ENCHANTRESS LOVE KVOTHE BECAUSE KVOTHE IS BEST FIRST-TIME LOVER IN ENTIRE HISTORY OF MADE-UP WORLD! HULK FROTH AT MOUTH WHEN THINKING ABOUT PERFECTION OF ALWAYS CLEVER KVOTHE!

EVERYONE KNOW HULK IS INCREDIBLE, HULK IS STRONGEST MAN-THING IN ENTIRE WORLD, HULK IS HANDSOMEST GREEN MAN EVER - BUT HULK IS NOT BEST DANCER OR BEST KARATE EXPERT OR BEST EMBROIDERER TOO! UGH! ARGH! HULK WANT TO MAKE KVOTHE BEST BLOODSTAIN!

HULK ANGRY AT PATRICK ROTHFUSS TOO! HULK THINK SOMETIMES AUTHORS DREAM UP THEIR 100% PERFECT FANTASY VERSION OF HERO - OR EVEN FANTASY VERSION OF THEMSELF, HULK GUESS - WHEN THEY SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT PROTAGONIST WHO CAN DO ANYTHING AND WHO CONSTANTLY MENTIONS ALL OF THEIR AMAZING ABILITIES IS WORTHLESS AS PROTAGONIST! WHY DOES ROTHFUSS NOT UNDERSTAND THAT PERFECT IS BORING?!? IF HULK WERE FEELING GENEROUS HULK WOULD SAY, WELL THIS IS ONLY ROTHFUSS' SECOND BOOK SO WHY NOT BE MORE PATIENT, HULK? BUT HULK IS NOT FEELING GENEROUS AND SO HE MUST CALL OUT THAT THIS IS STUPID, STUPID MISTAKE FROM VERY SMART AUTHOR! IF ROTHFUSS WERE BAD WRITER, HULK MIGHT UNDERSTAND. BUT ROTHFUSS IS VERY GOOD AUTHOR! SO HIS BIG MISTAKE WHICH HE REPEATS OVER AND OVER AGAIN IS EXTRA EXTRA IRRITATING!

HULK WANTED TO GIVE BOOK 2 STARS HE WAS SO FRUSTRATED.

BUT HULK CANNOT. HULK LOVE THIS BOOK! HULK LOVE IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES. HULK LOVE HOW ROTHFUSS TAKES TIME WITH EPISODIC NOVEL AND LETS READER REALLY UNDERSTAND EACH PART OF WORLD THAT STUPID KVOTHE VISITS. HULK LOVE DETAILS OF LIFE AT UNIVERSITY. HULK LOVE DETAILS OF VINTAS AND FAERIE LAND AND SMALL BAND OF BANDIT-KILLERS AND SO MANY MORE DETAILS AND ALL THE DIFFERENT STORIES. IT IS LIKE HULK IS ABLE TO LIVE IN THIS WORLD AND HULK LOVE THAT! HULK ESPECIALLY LOVE KNOWING ABOUT ADEM CULTURE. FASCINATING CULTURE! ADEM CULTURE THINK WEARING CLOTHES OR NOT WEARING CLOTHES IS NO BIG DEAL AND THAT REALLY MAKE SENSE TO HULK. HULK ALSO LOVE INSIGHTFUL ENGAGEMENT WITH STORYTELLING IN BOOK. VERY SMART! HULK NOT LIKE SCENES SET IN PRESENT BUT HULK HAS COMPLAINED ENOUGH. HULK LOVE MYSTERIES AND BOOK IS FULL OF GOOD MYSTERIES! HULK LOVE MYSTERY OF CHANDRIAN! HULK ALSO LIKE PORTRAYAL OF MOST WOMEN IN BOOK. HULK NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT HE GOT JUST A LITTLE BIT TEARY IN EYES OVER RESCUE OF RAPE VICTIMS. BUT HULK ESPECIALLY LOVE WARRIOR WOMEN OF ADEM! STRONG WOMEN! HULK APPRECIATE STRONG WOMEN!

HULK REALLY THINK ROTHFUSS IS EXCELLENT WRITER. VERY TALENTED AT MANY THINGS AND GOOD WITH MOST CHARACTERS AND NARRATIVE AND IMAGERY AND LETTING STORY LIVE AND BREATHE IN PACE THAT IS NOT RUSHED AND LETTING READER GET TO KNOW WORLD SLOWLY AND UNDERSTAND MAGIC SLOWLY AND HULK NOT TURNED OFF BY VERY BIG SIZE OF BOOK. HULK LIKE BIG THINGS! BUT HULK NOT LIKE KVOTHE!

HULK SMASH KVOTHE!

1411 likes

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

And actual themes.
And a plot.

It's his take on the entrance test that really niggles me. He takes a really succinctly written piece on humility and trust, and turns it into a Whedon-esque mess of "witty" banter.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I love this morning's blog post in which he expresses how profusely sorry he is for being so slow in writing... his blog.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tambreet posted:

I love this morning's blog post in which he expresses how profusely sorry he is for being so slow in writing... his blog.
I like that one comment tells him to get therapy and another tells him to listen to a Katatonia live album.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Please just write, Patrick.....

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tambreet posted:

Good lord he comes off as so pathetically whiny.

quote:

I’ve read a book or two a day for my entire life. I’ve spent more time in my life reading than… probably any other activity. I’ve always been able to pick up a book and just… go. Just leave for somewhere else. I’ve lived so many other lives in so many other worlds.

And now I can’t do it any more unless I wear glasses. It’s like I’ve spent my whole life being able to travel to Narnia and now someone put a lock on the wardrobe door….

"Oh no, glasses are a prison for the mind, my life is terrible.....don't forget to give me money for my latest kickstarter!"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Who on earth could be that worried about glasses, they're a fashion statement now, if he trimmed the beard and got a nice haircut than he could tie the whole thing off with a nice pair of frames. Jfc, Rothfuss needs to get his poo poo together.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If it would give me the free time to read multiple books a day & raising a family while still living comfortably I'd wear the dorkiest glasses imaginable.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The sincerity was undercut by the kickstarter shilling. Tonal whiplash

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

"I have to wear glasses and that makes me sad."

-Patrick Rothfuss, 2018.

Anyone who thinks they are getting a third book is out of their god damned mind.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HIJK posted:

Who on earth could be that worried about glasses, they're a fashion statement now, if he trimmed the beard and got a nice haircut than he could tie the whole thing off with a nice pair of frames. Jfc, Rothfuss needs to get his poo poo together.

If he got glasses then he wouldn't be featured in any more sweet, sweet Mountain Dew commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NMSkIKbuqk&t=180s

I did a double-take when I first saw that one in the wild. Had to look it up on the internet. This thread may have damaged me slightly.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
That episode of the twilight zone but he actually has a bunch of glasses and doesn't want to wear any of them.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

If he got glasses then he wouldn't be featured in any more sweet, sweet Mountain Dew commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NMSkIKbuqk&t=180s

I did a double-take when I first saw that one in the wild. Had to look it up on the internet. This thread may have damaged me slightly.

What the gently caress. This man hasn't produced anything in years why the gently caress is the entertainment industry doing this.

Got hosed Rothfart I hope you have to wear glaucoma sunglasses for the rest of your life

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

HIJK posted:

What the gently caress. This man hasn't produced anything in years why the gently caress is the entertainment industry doing this.

Got hosed Rothfart I hope you have to wear glaucoma sunglasses for the rest of your life
Uh...

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Everyone has tough days man. HIJK is having one right now.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Everyone has tough days man. HIJK is having one right now.

This is actually true. I'll just leave the thread for the day, see ya guys around.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Kenny Powers autobiography would 100% be a better book than WMF

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

"I have to wear glasses and that makes me sad."

-Patrick Rothfuss, 2018.

Anyone who thinks they are getting a third book is out of their god damned mind.

We got a third book, complete with a haughty-as-gently caress "if you don't like this book it's because you just don't get it" excuse for Slow Regard being such complete and utter garbage.

Name of the Wind was a fluke, Wise Man's Fear proved it, and Slow Regard for Silent Things made sure to drive the point home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Name of the Wind's popularity is a fluke. It's loving awful.