Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Since the last thread was spoiled with Muskchat, I'm starting this fresh.

This thread is for discussion about the current (haw) and future developments in electric vehicles. It is not for whinging about how Musk is terrible or amazing or HOLY poo poo TALKING ABOUT TESLA STOCK GO THE gently caress TO BFC.

Talk about batteries, talk about charging stations, talk about photovoltaics, talk about emerging technologies, trade recipes, new vehicles coming out.

Don't talk to The Sicilian because The Sicilian is threadbanned.

This is me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thread title is disruptive.

Have any reputable car rags gotten their hands on a Model 3 or particularly a PM3D for a full review, versus a “here’s the car for twelve hours teaser?”

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrYenko posted:

Thread title is disruptive.

Have any reputable car rags gotten their hands on a Model 3 or particularly a PM3D for a full review, versus a “here’s the car for twelve hours teaser?”
All teasers as far as I know.
Deliveries have started, however, so real people have a few.

However aside from the stronger motors if you dont get the performance upgrade package its just a faster Model 3. Theres no changes otherwise.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 9, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have some natural-sound videos of electric motorcycles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4oiWWqVXvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_DAlX8hrUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbRMdonGkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39kteCMUnZ4

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A coworker got his 3 a few weeks ago. Acceleration is breathtaking. I felt like the S has a better ride. I like the interior design - but I really want a heads up display and a few more hard controls. Build quality was average, nothing special one way or the other. As reported elsewhere, the back seat is not comfortable if you are above 5'9". It's mounted way too low and the cushion is too flat, short.

Would I buy one? I don't know. Coworker's was $57k, before tax credit. I just don't feel like it's a good buy at that price.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Holy crap, that motocross bike sounds like a drat pod racer!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Alta also raced erzberg this year.
onboard/raw footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NU4RN1Z5xg
summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzf_GwJLILo

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

I'm not familiar with this event (or the sport at all) and that footage is incredible.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
this is cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYY_AlRWQA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

came for the swap, stayed for the EV Delorean which they totally ignored

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 9, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Any indication at all when Tesla will start exporting the Model 3 to Europeland?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bolind posted:

Any indication at all when Tesla will start exporting the Model 3 to Europeland?
They'd have to make a serious dent to their pre-order number, be on track to fulfilling the recent $3k orders, and have a manufacturing output that's a stable 3-6k like they've been wanting to hit.

So basically when they get their manufacturing hell poo poo sorted out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FilthyImp posted:

They'd have to make a serious dent to their pre-order number, be on track to fulfilling the recent $3k orders, and have a manufacturing output that's a stable 3-6k like they've been wanting to hit.

So basically when they get their manufacturing hell poo poo sorted out.

Ya, it's worth noting that there are hardware differences between the NA and European Teslas, so I'm sure they're going to want to really put production issues to bed before they introduce more part numbers...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrYenko posted:

Ya, it's worth noting that there are hardware differences between the NA and European Teslas, so I'm sure they're going to want to really put production issues to bed before they introduce more part numbers...

There are hardware differences between US and Canada too, though possibly more minor. (Not so minor that they'll make the changes for you after initial sale, though!)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrYenko posted:

To expand on this, it's still legally impossible to produce a true "world car" where the same exact hardware is sold in all markets.

Aside from the obvious left-hand vs. right-hand drive issue there are also incompatibilities between safety regulations, especially in the areas of headlights and bumpers. Cars that are built to the US FMVSS are not compliant with the UN WP.29 standards and vice versa. Other non-signatory countries have their own standards but they're pretty much all compatible with one or both of those. As a result any models offered for sale worldwide have at least three variants: North America, rest-of-world LHD, and rest-of-world RHD. There may be more regional variants, but there can not be less if you want to sell it in all major markets.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Tesla has until the end of the year to pump out as many model 3s as possible before the tax credit starts reducing. Presumably they’ll focus on the US market to maximize the tax breaks for customers until the new year.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Beffer posted:

Tesla has until the end of the year to pump out as many model 3s as possible before the tax credit starts reducing. Presumably they’ll focus on the US market to maximize the tax breaks for customers until the new year.

Yep. And I believe 2019 deliveries have been the word on the street for quite a while. Tesla just posted a thing about tax credits as well: https://www.tesla.com/no_NO/blog/what-you-need-know-about-federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ahahahahaha

Bumper Falls Off Brand New Tesla Model 3 After 30 Minutes and Some Rain

https://jalopnik.com/bumper-falls-off-brand-new-tesla-model-3-after-30-minut-1828306917

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I am likely going to pull the trigger on a Spark EV soon, and am looking for any angles I'm missing on whether or not it's a good purchase. You can enjoy this exciting human drama backstory, or jump right to the details further below! I drove an FR-S and loved it, but my Model 3 (with still-attached bumper) finally arrived. Originally I was going to do this grand thing where I presented it to my wife who drives a gas guzzling minivan while I kept the FR-S which I love(d). My wife however reacted with "meh" so I said FINE I'LL DRIVE THE TESLA to which she also replied "meh" and is now driving my FR-S because it's better MPG than the minivan (which we're keeping). However after observing how much we are saving on "fuel" now, I started moving math numbers around in my head and thought maybe it's time to trade in the FR-S to get something cheaper, more practical, better MPG, etc., since the grandeur of the poor-man's sports car is lost on her. To which she said something like "But I like how I can actually pass cars on the freeway now." I of course think this is a smoke screen, and that she actually enjoys driving a car that looks awesome, to which she replies "meh". So I set out to find a car that would essentially be in the price range of what I could trade/sell the FR-S for, that also fits her one criteria, and I stumble across the Spark EV, some for as low as $8k! They both have four seats, but the EV has larger seats with four doors. The Spark EV is apparently also fun to drive and has a slightly better 0-60 than the FR-S. This fits my wife's single criteria while adding more practicality and convenience in terms of car shape/storage. We also have three kids, but we'd use the van or tesla if we went out as a full family, and nothing would be changed from the FR-S anyway. So at this point I'm looking for something better or something I may be missing. Thoughts?

What is a recommended alternate to this purchase for my wife or I to tootle around town, thereby expunging another planet-killing gas thing from my home?

2015 Spark EV 2LT (~82 mile range)
Price is ~$11,000
7000 odometer
Has the DC fast charging CCS/SAE
Looks to be in great shape, it's a completed lease.
I verified with Chevy that although they aren't sold here, they do service them locally and I'd maybe buy an extended warranty from a dealership for about $1000 just to be safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7hteLa_x0 (quick overview)

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 13, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

I am likely going to pull the trigger on a Spark EV soon, and am looking for any angles I'm missing on whether or not it's a good purchase. You can enjoy this exciting human drama backstory, or jump right to the details further below! I drove an FR-S and loved it, but my Model 3 (with still-attached bumper) finally arrived. Originally I was going to do this grand thing where I presented it to my wife who drives a gas guzzling minivan while I kept the FR-S which I love(d). My wife however reacted with "meh" so I said FINE I'LL DRIVE THE TESLA to which she also replied "meh" and is now driving my FR-S because it's better MPG than the minivan (which we're keeping). However after observing how much we are saving on "fuel" now, I started moving math numbers around in my head and thought maybe it's time to trade in the FR-S to get something cheaper, more practical, better MPG, etc., since the grandeur of the poor-man's sports car is lost on her. To which she said something like "But I like how I can actually pass cars on the freeway now." I of course think this is a smoke screen, and that she actually enjoys driving a car that looks awesome, to which she replies "meh". So I set out to find a car that would essentially be in the price range of what I could trade/sell the FR-S for, that also fits her one criteria, and I stumble across the Spark EV that I did not know existed. They both have four seats, but the EV has larger seats with four doors. The Spark EV is apparently also fun to drive and has a slightly better 0-60 than the FR-S. This fits my wife's single criteria while adding more practicality and convenience in terms of car shape/storage. We also have three kids, but we'd use the van or tesla if we went out as a full family, and nothing would be changed from the FR-S anyway. So at this point I'm looking for something better or something I may be missing. Thoughts?

What is a recommended alternate to this purchase for my wife or I to tootle around town, thereby expunging another planet-killing gas thing from my home?

2015 Spark EV 2LT (~82 mile range)
Price is ~$11,000
7000 odometer
Has the DC fast charging CCS/SAE
Looks to be in great shape, it's a completed lease.
I verified with Chevy that although they aren't sold here, they do service them locally and I'd maybe buy an extended warranty from a dealership for about $1000 just to be safe.

The Spark and FR-S are hugely different cars. You and your wife probably ought to drive the Spark and see if you like it before you commit to anything.

A Spark is essentially a 4-door Smart Car. The ride is pretty bouncy. It's a cute enough little car, but definitely a niche market.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

What is a recommended alternate to this purchase for my wife or I to tootle around town,

A Nissan Leaf. More space, slightly longer range, uses CHAdeMO fast charging. That may be the Betamax of DC charging some time in the future, but if you do most of the charging at home it's not an issue in the car's lifetime anyway. You should be able to find one for less than $11k, if you want to spend a bit more you can get a 2016 with the 30 kWh battery upgrade. I don't know to properly shop for those, but since they've sold quite well, google results will be plentiful. "Remaining bars" on the battery indicator is a useful wear gauge.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

2014 Spark EV owner here. I'm biased, but I say go for it. I think the 2014 is the only one that had the 400 lb-ft of torque, but I'm sure the 15s and 16s are plenty peppy.

Mine has 39000 miles on it and reported 79 miles estimated when I took it off charge this morning. I read online that the battery is software limited to only allow usage of ~80% of it so it lasts longer. I think it has active battery cooling to help with that as well. The manual suggests leaving it plugged in constantly.

I wish mine had DC fast charging and a backup camera.

It is surprisingly roomy with the back seats down. Lots of cargo space.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Ahahahahaha

Bumper Falls Off Brand New Tesla Model 3 After 30 Minutes and Some Rain

https://jalopnik.com/bumper-falls-off-brand-new-tesla-model-3-after-30-minut-1828306917

*adds "active aero" to the Model 3's list of features*

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

RZA Encryption posted:

2014 Spark EV owner here. I'm biased, but I say go for it. I think the 2014 is the only one that had the 400 lb-ft of torque, but I'm sure the 15s and 16s are plenty peppy.

Mine has 39000 miles on it and reported 79 miles estimated when I took it off charge this morning. I read online that the battery is software limited to only allow usage of ~80% of it so it lasts longer. I think it has active battery cooling to help with that as well. The manual suggests leaving it plugged in constantly.

I wish mine had DC fast charging and a backup camera.

It is surprisingly roomy with the back seats down. Lots of cargo space.

Yeah the 2015 is 327 but received better batteries and weight reduction I believe.

https://www.torquenews.com/2250/2015-chevy-spark-ev-gets-battery-overhaul-after-only-year-market

I remember looking into the leaf a bit but came out of that research that the Spark had better batteries or cooling, or at least the 2016 Leaf's had a slower 0-60. I've compressed a ton of research into a short amount of time, so I wish I'd kept better notes. One concern I have is how do I check to see what the battery degradation would be. I mean it has only 7000 on the odometer, but could the batteries degrade by just sitting there over the years? Is it time or more movement based? I'd assume it's related to usage, but I'm no electrician!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The batteries do degrade from just sitting there, but not so much that it's a problem over a few years of normal use. Particularly if the Spark has active cooling and a low-ish charge limit on the battery. I didn't know that as it isn't sold over here in Euroland. Based on those alone, I'd say if the car fits your use, go for it over a 2013 Leaf. The Leaf has no active cooling and some of the early models have some really bad degradation by now. The Leaf has that battery capacity indicator which loses bars over time, don't think anyone else has it. But on all EVs, you can just charge to 100% and see what the remaining range counter says and compare that with others online. It's not a perfectly accurate diagnostic, but it gets you a pretty good ballpark condition. (The number might vary based on various modes and settings)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

OldPueblo posted:

Yeah the 2015 is 327 but received better batteries and weight reduction I believe.

https://www.torquenews.com/2250/2015-chevy-spark-ev-gets-battery-overhaul-after-only-year-market

I remember looking into the leaf a bit but came out of that research that the Spark had better batteries or cooling, or at least the 2016 Leaf's had a slower 0-60. I've compressed a ton of research into a short amount of time, so I wish I'd kept better notes. One concern I have is how do I check to see what the battery degradation would be. I mean it has only 7000 on the odometer, but could the batteries degrade by just sitting there over the years? Is it time or more movement based? I'd assume it's related to usage, but I'm no electrician!

0-60 isn't going to matter much, all EVs are pretty good in that regard but the cheaper ones fall apart at higher speeds (well at least the Leaf and Renault ones I've driven do).

Maybe RZA Encryption can comment on how their one does at higher speeds.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even the gasser Spark gets sketchy at high speeds.

With it's range and driving manners, it's definitely a city car with occasional highway.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I drove a gas spark after having the ev for a year and I could not believe how terrible it felt to drive. So incredibly sluggish.

I don't regularly do like 20 over the speed limit so I couldn't tell you when it stops easily going faster. It's not a track car but it'll do highway speeds without issue. Less range of course.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Weird question but whats the status of PHEV SUVs or Crossovers with 3rd row seating?

I think I saw a Tiguan Hybrid, and I know the Pacifica has a plug-in, but is it overall a pretty small niche?

Yes, my wife keeps saying we need bigger cars, but I'd be saddled with it and my 35 mile commute does not look favorably on 19mpg monsters.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OldPueblo posted:

I am likely going to pull the trigger on a Spark EV soon, and am looking for any angles I'm missing on whether or not it's a good purchase. You can enjoy this exciting human drama backstory, or jump right to the details further below! I drove an FR-S and loved it, but my Model 3 (with still-attached bumper) finally arrived. Originally I was going to do this grand thing where I presented it to my wife who drives a gas guzzling minivan while I kept the FR-S which I love(d). My wife however reacted with "meh" so I said FINE I'LL DRIVE THE TESLA to which she also replied "meh" and is now driving my FR-S because it's better MPG than the minivan (which we're keeping). However after observing how much we are saving on "fuel" now, I started moving math numbers around in my head and thought maybe it's time to trade in the FR-S to get something cheaper, more practical, better MPG, etc., since the grandeur of the poor-man's sports car is lost on her. To which she said something like "But I like how I can actually pass cars on the freeway now." I of course think this is a smoke screen, and that she actually enjoys driving a car that looks awesome, to which she replies "meh". So I set out to find a car that would essentially be in the price range of what I could trade/sell the FR-S for, that also fits her one criteria, and I stumble across the Spark EV, some for as low as $8k! They both have four seats, but the EV has larger seats with four doors. The Spark EV is apparently also fun to drive and has a slightly better 0-60 than the FR-S. This fits my wife's single criteria while adding more practicality and convenience in terms of car shape/storage. We also have three kids, but we'd use the van or tesla if we went out as a full family, and nothing would be changed from the FR-S anyway. So at this point I'm looking for something better or something I may be missing. Thoughts?

if your wife likes driving a FR-S why not... let her keep driving the FR-S

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FilthyImp posted:

Weird question but whats the status of PHEV SUVs or Crossovers with 3rd row seating?

I think I saw a Tiguan Hybrid, and I know the Pacifica has a plug-in, but is it overall a pretty small niche?

Yes, my wife keeps saying we need bigger cars, but I'd be saddled with it and my 35 mile commute does not look favorably on 19mpg monsters.

The Tiguan is not three row. The Pacifica is three row. The Volvo XC90 T8 is three row. There's an X5 and a GLE PHEV but neither are three row (I think).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FRS is a pretty sweet car. If it works for you, do it. It'd just the wife and I, but we ended up with a WRX hatchback after waiting 2+ years for the FRS because the FRS felt a little too cramped and not quiet as good for camping.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if your wife likes driving a FR-S why not... let her keep driving the FR-S

I guess I didn't explain it well. It's not that she liked driving the FR-S, she just liked driving something faster than the minivan. Otherwise she doesn't like the cramped back seats, two doors, low visibility, etc. It was just a step up "quick-wise" from the van.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

I guess I didn't explain it well. It's not that she liked driving the FR-S, she just liked driving something faster than the minivan. Otherwise she doesn't like the cramped back seats, two doors, low visibility, etc. It was just a step up "quick-wise" from the van.

What's the rush? Why do you have to by this Spark right now?

The usual thing to do is spend some time determining what your actual needs and wants are and your budget, and narrowing down the list of possibilities that will fill them best. The Spark EV may or may not end up on that list.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm gonna make rabidly defending the spark ev my gimmick. Like the kind of people that accuse everyone of anti-tesla bias, but for the spark ev.

Deteriorata posted:

The usual thing to do is spend some time determining what your actual needs and wants are and your budget, and narrowing down the list of possibilities that will fill them best. The Spark EV may or may not end up on that list.

How big is your GM short?

Shill.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I guess I feel that it's such a great deal that they will disappear. I mean look at that price for that odometer. They aren't being made anymore and I live in Arizona where they weren't even sold. Because the FR-S was my car and I was the only one that really loved it, and I no longer drive it, why not get rid of it when the Spark EV seems to be better in every way for what my wife wants. Just makes sense, and my post here was really the end of that research. Thanks though!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

I guess I feel that it's such a great deal that they will disappear. I mean look at that price for that odometer. They aren't being made anymore and I live in Arizona where they weren't even sold. Because the FR-S was my car and I was the only one that really loved it, and I no longer drive it, why not get rid of it when the Spark EV seems to be better in every way for what my wife wants. Just makes sense, and my post here was really the end of that research. Thanks though!

That's fine, then. Your posts were rather breathless and gave the impression like you'd just cooked this whole thing up in a rush over the weekend. The process was giving me concerns, not the car itself.

The Spark is a good little car. If you've done your homework and know it's what you want, go for it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe he needs to get her a new car to justify his new car, happens all the time.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Not sure if this is the spot to post but if any of you ev guys are getting a tesla the referral codes are p cool since you can get unlimited supercharging for the life of your veh (until Sept 16)

Here's my code if anyone cares/wants it

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thank you daniel. Here is my referral link:

https://www.carmax.com/cars/chevrolet/spark-ev?something-awful=rza_encryption