Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got an interview Wednesday at a place 5 miles from my house. Sounds like a cool job.

Research new methods and technology to be used in automation
Integrate production automation and robotics with existing ERP systems
Integrate third party software packages with automation and internal systems
Assist with training programmers, users and operators
Computer programming and development
Develop new systems to meet changing operational requirements
Coordinate and facilitate projects within the department

I'll be sure to mention my air conditioning draining and bouncer experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

lol at an A/C unit with a 16 oz reservoir. Do you have to empty it every 10 minutes?

twice so far today! It's humid!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Well you see you have to unscrew the little cover THEN pull the little plug out and drain out about 16oz of water

I told them have maintenance install a drain line. Problem solved.

Also it's kind of embarrassing to run one of these in the conference room (because you don't have central air) when you have a dealer from Ecuador visiting.

IT'S SO LOUD YOU CAN'T USE SPEAKERPHONE

You have an actual maintenance department but you drained it yourself. :iit:

If for any reason you find yourself fixing something that isn't your job to to do so, do it in total secrecy. Feign complete ignorance about things that aren't your job. It works, trust me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just say you misread the last one as "Coordinate facilities projects within the department"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I laughed at the MSP that made us hire a handyman to install a wall rack because they told us they "weren't certified" to use a power drill, but looking back that was probably one of the few smart things they did before we eventually fired them for being grossly incompetent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

You have an actual maintenance department but you drained it yourself. :iit:

We have this guy that works half days doing handyman poo poo. But he hasn't been here in two weeks because he had cataract surgery.

Our IT storage room is pitch black because the ballast on the lights went out and they don't have any to replace it with. So next time someone goes to Lowe's they'll get one.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress up every job you don't want to be asked to do again

I do this at home and at work; it works amazingly.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Bob Morales posted:

I had a little checklist going

Correct power cord/power supplies
Fans pointing the right way
Correct rails

What else?

Max power draw per device

This one seems like a no brainer, Do we have two circuits+pdus? Does the vendor recommend two power circuits per rack? I've ran into situations where customers only have one circuit which made it tough to kludge in some UPSs and other items to keep some clustered appliances HA if we lost power.

AC and environmental concerns. Do we live by the sea and condition the air so we don't get humid salty brine corroding my servers?

I'm sure we could keep brainstorming a nice list with SA. Fans pointing the right way is a great one, a lot of people forget about that. I had cisco send me the wrong FEXes once, we ordered fans blowing one way and they sent the opposite

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh joyous days, we are back at the "Motherfuckin James you have done nothing wrong, but you will be punished for someone else's faults". I am now locked into hours (I generally worked 9/930-6, but sometimes flexed based on different factors, now they want me to work 11-730), and also I get to sit in the call center, which means I'm really going to be productive. So I'll do this for a few weeks, they'll get 8 hours and that's it out of me and then I'll go back to doing whatever I want.

Unless I get a new job, then I'll just quit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sirotan posted:

I laughed at the MSP that made us hire a handyman to install a wall rack because they told us they "weren't certified" to use a power drill, but looking back that was probably one of the few smart things they did before we eventually fired them for being grossly incompetent.

If I am being honest, there are very few people I would trust with a power drill.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spog posted:

If I am being honest, there are very few people I would trust with a power drill.

Especially in our industry

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Plus I'm not drilling into some random wall in a client office, gently caress knows what I'm going to hit and who'll have liability for the damage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You guys ever run cable at a bank? They're built like...a bank. You need a hammerdrill and huge drill bits.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

You guys ever run cable at a bank? They're built like...a bank. You need a hammerdrill and huge drill bits.

I wall mounted a tv in a basement with reinforced concrete walls. A hammer drill wasn't cutting it and one hole took 20+ minutes (with some stops to let the bit cool). To finish it I ended up borrowing a rotary hammer. It was super easy with that, though!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

That's when you get into malicious compliance territory, spend all day tracking the time you spent tracking your time.

Today I spent almost half an hour entering tickets for work I did. I could have spent that time getting more actual work done, but whatever. I also made sure to log that half hour on my time sheet.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Weedle posted:

Today I spent almost half an hour entering tickets for work I did. I could have spent that time getting more actual work done, but whatever. I also made sure to log that half hour on my time sheet.

There's nothing wrong with logging tickets though, that's a good use of time, meticulously tracking time is not.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Langolas posted:

Well, why didn't you mention to them you are using a 120v setup? That's one of those key items when you look over the proposed spec sheets you have to validate yourself. Goes for servers, switches, SANs etc.

Personally I think about the power input to our server room roughly 0% of the time and we usually do server hardware refreshes every 5 years, so that 0% is spread over quite a span.

But it looks like this model also has the option for 120v PSUs so it’s just a matter of them shipping us the right parts to swap out.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I'm really annoyed that our account managers keep trying to drag me into API integration initial calls when policy is they handle those themselves because it's like 99.99999% of the time the clients IT department not reading the docs we provide them, and still asking for an engineer to get the same answers fed to them.

Waste of my loving time, everytime.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I got involved in a backend phone system upgrade at work, Indont really have anything to do with it, but I do our certificate management for our group so I got volunteered. The techs making the cert have hosed it up twice so far, they didn’t tell me that it was a multi domain cert, so I had request a new MD cert. Insend it to them, they install it and start seeing problems. Turns out their CSR was wrong, and even though I had 3 people verify the domains earlier, they were wrong.
After putting in the new cert, it takes 20 minutes to reboot this server.
I have been here 4 hours.

The real kicker is except for a single part of this, none of it is even in production. So we have to wait until 8pm to start.

Why does voice poo poo have to be so loving worthless.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Family that owns the company has all their phones through Verizon, on the company's plan. There's maybe 7-8 phones of theirs.

So whenever one of the kids wants a new phone, they use an upgrade from another line from the account. Normally they ask mom before they do this. There another 15 or so phones for the business on there.

One of the kids activated a hotspot over the last few months. Owner/CEO saw this, tried to cancel it. They charged $165 because it's still under contract. This person also used an upgrade from one of the other lines to get the hotspot for free.

They went back and forth about this for a few days. Verizon isn't budging on refunding those fees and canceling the line straight up. So now, it makes more sense to have 2 people here waste a bunch of time getting quotes from AT&T and Sprint, moving all the accounts over, all the pay the exact same monthly price for service because they don't want to pay a cancellation fee.

If she would have just handed the security of the wireless account over to a person this wouldn't have happened, but she doesn't trust anyone to do it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lmao 'the company resources keep getting abused due to a lack of security!'
'let's increase the security'
'no I don't trust anybody else to keep company resources from getting abused'

There is a special level of cognitive dissonance your owner's family is living in that is equal parts hilarious and depressing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have no idea how anybody works for anything family-owned

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Thanks Ants posted:

Worked for a family-owned MSP for 3 years, not great!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I did it once and I'll never fall for that trap again.

Tell a lie, I did it once before that and it was totally fine, but probably because there were no adult children in the picture.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Me: "Here is a completed application for a building pass as requested"
Them: "Sorry this has been filled out on the wrong form, the correct form and instructions can be found on <link to page I got the form from>"
Me: "Yeah that's where I got the form from, if you look there you'll see it.."
Them: "I'm pleased to say your application for a building pass was successful"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I worked for a family owned MSP for nearly two years. They expected all employees to become "members of the family" and continue working solely for the success of the company, and ignore their personal success.

They acted like I betrayed them and was ruining Christmas by leaving for a job with more responsibilities, better benefits (as in they offered benefits), and 12k more a year. How dare I abandon them when massive changes to the organization were right around the corner that would greatly benefit everybody, didn't I have faith in their success???

(they still haven't reorged 3 years later)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I was once asked "where do your loyalties lie?" in the middle of a full-team meeting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I worked at a awesome family-owned company about 10 years ago. Then they got bought out by a multi-national conglomerate, so we got health insurance but they ruined everything else.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I work at a family-owned MSP currently.

Our 7am Monday meetings were usually a shouting match between the owner, his son, and his nephew. The nephew quit recently though, so our meetings aren't too terrible now - only somewhat.

e. I spent most of the week trying to figure out why our Duo implementation for one of our clients wasn't working as expected. I took over the project from the owner, who had set up the Duo Access Server and bound it to the local AD DC, leaving the rest to me.

Among other issues, the DAG was trying to match usernames to the sAMAcccountName attribute.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 10, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was once asked "where do your loyalties lie?" in the middle of a full-team meeting.

Look them hard in the eye and slowly respond "where do YOUR loyalties lie?"

For best effect try this on the CEO but be sure to have new employment lined up.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

To myself, always to myself, and never EVER to a company I have zero equity in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Actuarial Fables posted:

I work at a family-owned MSP currently.

Our 7am Monday meetings were usually a shouting match between the owner, his son, and his nephew. The nephew quit recently though, so our meetings aren't too terrible now - only somewhat.

I had a meeting with a father-son team that ended up with a 'did too!' argument between them.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
loving Service Now just ate my work notes on a ticket not 1 but 4 times and refused to let me change the assignment. Thankfully after recreating them for the 2nd attempt I saved a copy. This is my first job using it but it is so terrible. I don’t understand how people pay money for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

loving Service Now just ate my work notes on a ticket not 1 but 4 times and refused to let me change the assignment. Thankfully after recreating them for the 2nd attempt I saved a copy. This is my first job using it but it is so terrible. I don’t understand how people pay money for it.

I ask myself this every morning when I have to log in to it.

Remedy was bad, but it wasn't this painful.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

For best effect try this on the CEO but be sure to have new employment lined up.

That's who was asking.

ratbert90 posted:

To myself, always to myself, and never EVER to a company I have zero equity in.

This was the truth, of course, but not the answer he wanted and thus not the answer I gave.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

If you have to bring up loyalty then you probably don’t have any yourself.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Management guru who came up with the idea of tracking everyone at all times and projecting their faces and current tasks on the wall just requested that everyone install the company's project management app on their phones. Not company phones, our personal phones.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think it was in response to me interviewing with another organisation where I'd put in an application 6 months prior, it being one of those types of places.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

This was the truth, of course, but not the answer he wanted and thus not the answer I gave.

I told my ex manager that I didn’t own the product because I had no equity in the company. Ex being the operative word. :v:

poo poo not pissing me off: Traveling to San Diego for two weeks for my quarterly “work with your coworkers” time.

Discover has 5% cash back on restaurants this week and I have a 25$/meal per diem (50$ if a coworker is with me). Gonna get a massive amount of cash back rolled up in the next two weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

nexus6 posted:

Management guru who came up with the idea of tracking everyone at all times and projecting their faces and current tasks on the wall just requested that everyone install the company's project management app on their phones. Not company phones, our personal phones.

They cannot force you to install it on your personal phone unless it's spelled out in the job posting / terms. Same as you can't expect an employee to use their car to go to home depot or anywhere else without it being a requirement. They need to compensate you for the use of your personal items.

Fill the phone up with pictures then say you don't have the space to install the program and wont delete anything because it's too important and so will need a company phone if they want you to have it.