Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who did you want to gently caress in Destiny 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Jack Kelso rules, though, and is the real hero of the game.

It was such a relief when the game shifted to Kelso. They really should've made him the main protagonist instead of just the last part of the of game

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I mean it shouldn't but since places don't have to pay serving staff real wages it's a necessary evil.

the funny thing is that tips bring in much more dosh than a "living wage" does, as restaurants have tried the whole "higher wage, no tips" thing

speaking of tips and restaurants, I miss Popcap and wish they made games again (I'm sure they made some diner related games)

edit: I wish they made games that didn't have EA's meddling. lookin' at you, Plants VS Zombies 2.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Aug 10, 2018

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So, We Happy Few was just released and while it is quite fun in places so far I have spent roughly 80% of my gametime running from massive mobs of policemen and angry old ladies, you can't do poo poo without a crowd forming and running after you.

It's also a bit on the janky side technically wise as well, framerate issues, texture pop ins and audio glitches.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The game is a sexless, bloodless work laced with low-calibre Joss "Cheats-On-Wife" Whedon quips.

Oh, yeah, the Nathan Fillion character is SO loving ANNOYING. The writing is kinda meh overall, but that robot really takes the cake.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CordlessPen posted:

Oh, yeah, the Nathan Fillion character is SO loving ANNOYING. The writing is kinda meh overall, but that robot really takes the cake.

I have good news for you then when Forsaken launches.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A lotta games do "The Chosen One" thing and it doesn't really bother me. I can't recall an instance where it hosed up a game since it's usually just main story driver. The game plays the same and, I mean, what's the point of playing if your character's whole deal is "I'm a shrubber named Roger"?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Pfft, everyone knows that pazaak is the real fake videogame cardgame. Mostly because it was just blackjack with a handful of modified cards you could play to adjust your total on the fly.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Played Detroit: Become Human through for the first time and am enjoying the game (despite its flaws) and I have one complaint that is UNFORGIVABLE.
Spoilers for Kara's storyline
I got the best ending for Kara of not sacrificing anyone to get past the border. So Kara and Alice are hugging it out and Luther is just standing there, despite having the 'family' title under his name. Let me hug my robo-husband drat you!
:argh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

A lotta games do "The Chosen One" thing and it doesn't really bother me. I can't recall an instance where it hosed up a game since it's usually just main story driver. The game plays the same and, I mean, what's the point of playing if your character's whole deal is "I'm a shrubber named Roger"?

Some people really value just being a random guy who just becomes a legend out of nowhere rather than having some kind of cosmic relevance from the get-go. I can take it or leave it too, it doesn't really bother me personally. But I intentionally aim for unrealistic games anyway so it's not like that would break the story for me.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BiggerBoat posted:

One of my favorite D&D characters I ever made was a big fat 40-year-old innkeeper who wanted to go on adventures, and his favorite sub-goal was he was always looking for other cultures a baked goods and beers recipes to learn and bring home to his inn.

Another dude I made had the explicit, stated goal of wanting to earn enough money to buy a boat. After 5 levels of adventuring, he had enough to buy and crew a double-master schooner, and he did so and left the campaign and I made a new dude. Our DM even had him show up like a year later as an npc with a rich merchant fleet he had built up.

Stakes can be anything, and sometimes a more grounded focus can elevate the gravitas.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see a Chosen One mix with actual game mechanics rather than just being a narrative device. "How did you get here so fast? You ran?! It's six loving miles! And you haven't eaten anything in three weeks?!"

Doing regular player character poo poo like that is downright superheroic. Why not lean into it?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I like the random person who isn't the Chosen One being a hero. It's a fun little thing, but on that same ticket, I don't really care if I am the Chosen One.

Speaking of D&D characters, I once played a Minotaur who had been a farmer. He decided he wanted to punch demons, instead of tending crops, and that's why he was there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OutOfPrint posted:

I'd love to see a Chosen One mix with actual game mechanics rather than just being a narrative device. "How did you get here so fast? You ran?! It's six loving miles! And you haven't eaten anything in three weeks?!"

Doing regular player character poo poo like that is downright superheroic. Why not lean into it?

KotOR 2 basically says one of the reasons the protagonist is special is because they can earn XP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Chosen One narratives are so common in video games because it can otherwise be hard to justify spending 50 hours with random nobodies who can somehow kickflip the poo poo out of the evil empire despite all being plucky 17 year olds. Other forms of media can take on a much wider scope, but in an interactive medium where you can directly control a character, who wouldn't want to play as the most interesting and important people in that world? It doesn't bother me too much but I do appreciate games that can also celebrate the mundane.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If the plot isn't following the most important person around... why isn't it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

Coming back from hunting, you deposit 18 dead wolves and two bears with the butcher and ask them to carve this into food, head to the inn and fall asleep, only to immediately regain your health and grow your leg back as well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
These Super Mario Bros games keep leaning on the Chosen One narrative, why can't we get a game where you're a Goomba that can only walk back and forth forever on a single platform forever.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I can understand not liking the average Chosen One conceit ie 'only the ubermensch/captain of industry character can save us from evil'

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

As with all things, Morrowind did the Chosen One narrative the best.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

food court bailiff posted:

As with all things, Morrowind did the Chosen One narrative the best.

Dark Souls too but it's more or less the same narrative around the status.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Coming back from hunting, you deposit 18 dead wolves and two bears with the butcher and ask them to carve this into food, head to the inn and fall asleep, only to immediately regain your health and grow your leg back as well.

Meanwhile, the butcher stares in horror at the mountain of dead animals you delivered unasked onto his counter, because anyone who could kill and carry that much has to be a loving monster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Warhammer Fantasy’s Chosen One being ultimately useless but heroic, well meaning, and on the winning side is a good one too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Prophecies are great for giving a character a direction and restrictions too.

Why can't you goof off? Because destiny says so. Why do you have to go that way? Fate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In general a generic “this is how we beat the big bad” prophecy is fine with me but “you special bloodline means only you have the right to decide the morals of this world” is something I loathe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Dark Souls too but it's more or less the same narrative around the status.

This is seriously one of my favorite things about Dark Souls, it doesn't even wait a full hour before punching you in the gut with "Oh. Another one?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

This is seriously one of my favorite things about Dark Souls, it doesn't even wait a full hour before punching you in the gut with "Oh. Another one?"

For how sick I was with people talking about them non-stop, I agree. It's nice to just have people expect you to fail rather than demand you prove your competency all the time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Prophecies are great for giving a character a direction and restrictions too.

Why can't you goof off? Because destiny says so. Why do you have to go that way? Fate.

Or just play Golden Sun(don't, it's bad) tell everyone to gently caress off, walk away and let the world go to ruin.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mostly don't like the Chosen One thing in games that market themselves as having a ton of choice what character you want to play. Cause... then you kinda don't.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I realise I'm posting a lot about Yakuza 0, it's a great game but it's got a lot of aspects to it, some of which aren't great.

The batting minigame is pretty poo poo. If you react within the (really short) time window, the ball goes exactly where you aim, if you miss, it's out. There's no nuance there and it's just boring.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Chosen One narratives work best with blank slate characters who need an external motivation to interact with the world. It's lazy, but it works.

Personally, I prefer a good ol' fashioned revenge story or engaging mystery, but that typically involves playing a pre-existing character rather than a blank slate, and Chosen Ones make for an easier plot.

So basically FO:NV roolz, FO3 droolz.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

I too am ambivalent about the trope, but this does make me think of all of those terrible tabletop games that expect characters to begin as poor, stupid, useless, ugly nobodies and toil away until they might someday earn the privilege of awkwardly swinging a stick at some rats before dying instantly.

OutOfPrint posted:

This was City of Heroes, kinda. By default you ran faster than cars (okay the cars were kinda slow), could survive any fall, and baseline enemies were all thugs with guns which proved you could shrug off bullets pretty well.

OutOfPrint posted:

Chosen One narratives work best with blank slate characters who need an external motivation to interact with the world. It's lazy, but it works.

Personally, I prefer a good ol' fashioned revenge story or engaging mystery, but that typically involves playing a pre-existing character rather than a blank slate, and Chosen Ones make for an easier plot.

So basically FO:NV roolz, FO3 droolz.

F3 would've been much better if it leaned into your dad's character and what might make him abandon you and leave without warning, building up the mystery of his disappearance, etc. Though really any linear narrative is going to struggle due to how Bethesda designs their open worlds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Walton Simons posted:

I realise I'm posting a lot about Yakuza 0, it's a great game but it's got a lot of aspects to it, some of which aren't great.

The batting minigame is pretty poo poo. If you react within the (really short) time window, the ball goes exactly where you aim, if you miss, it's out. There's no nuance there and it's just boring.

6 replaced it with a standard sports game aim at the ball mechanic, and instead of targets it’s a single/double/triple/home run. It’s much better for it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

Witcher 2 manages to do both - you're not the chosen one, you're just some random dude who gets sucked into stuff bigger than them.

Despite that, you're still an undeniable badass, and people periodically get freaked out by you. "You killed them all? They should keep men like you isolated!"

And then 3 turns into the tired old "save the world whilst being the exact dead centre of the universe", with the very minor twist that you're not the chosen one, you're just her dad.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I really like Dragons Crown, but yeesh the screen is terribly cluttered with spell effects everywhere. Friendlies and enemies use the same effects too, so sometimes it feels as if I'm rolling dice on whether or not I die.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Witcher 2 manages to do both - you're not the chosen one, you're just some random dude who gets sucked into stuff bigger than them.

Despite that, you're still an undeniable badass, and people periodically get freaked out by you. "You killed them all? They should keep men like you isolated!"

And then 3 turns into the tired old "save the world whilst being the exact dead centre of the universe", with the very minor twist that you're not the chosen one, you're just her dad.

I mean, 98% of the game is Geralt looking for Ciri and protecting her from the Wild Hunt, the Winter thing only comes up at the very end.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Spellbound Kingdoms literally has Chosen One as a class and it's pretty awesome. You end up with a legion of dedicated followers endgame with bonuses if you go to war for your destiny.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So I decided to try playing quake champions because its free and even if a free to play game is awful i can usually get a hour or two of fun out of it, and then it instantly annoys me by telling my I cant use the nickname I want to by saying "the nickname entered is incorrect" not invalid or taken but that its just straight up wrong. Its such a stupid little thing but i'm already going into the game with a little more hate than I expected to. Worst part is if a name is taken it does tell ya, so apparently people just can't be called zoig.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

John Murdoch posted:

I too am ambivalent about the trope, but this does make me think of all of those terrible tabletop games that expect characters to begin as poor, stupid, useless, ugly nobodies and toil away until they might someday earn the privilege of awkwardly swinging a stick at some rats before dying instantly.

I think it's worse in table top games because, in my experience, almost every player wants to be Captain Badass and regail us with their super cool backstory and poo poo. Usually everyone wants the limelight. That's why i always liked to DM smaller groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

The more I read about Destiny 2 the more I believe that they only ever wanted to make 1 Destiny game and are consciously doing a poo poo job on their contracted sequels

Someone at work told me Destiny 1 has more players than Destiny 2 at this point. No idea if that's true but I find it believable.