Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

nexus6 posted:

Management guru who came up with the idea of tracking everyone at all times and projecting their faces and current tasks on the wall just requested that everyone install the company's project management app on their phones. Not company phones, our personal phones.

And make sure to accept when it asks if it can access your microphone, camera, ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I work for a family owned MSP, our benefits are actually really good (I get some of the best health insurance out there), I'm also paid a mostly decent wage, but it's an MSP so yeah...

I'm going to take a benefits hit anywhere I go, most likely, but sanity and stress reduction will be worth it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

xzzy posted:

I ask myself this every morning when I have to log in to it.

Remedy was bad, but it wasn't this painful.
I really liked the ServiceNow build at my last job. It's a shitshow at my current post. It's not just ServiceNow, it's the brain(lessness) behind the implementation. We're using the dumbest resolution categories I've ever seen: Resolved Permanently, Resolved Through Workaround, Not Resolved, Resolved By User.

What if the workaround is the permanent solution? What if there's no reproducible problem? Does Not Resolved mean "I didn't do my job" or "User never called back" or "Product behavior as intended, there is no fix"? I have no idea what metrics they're trying to get.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Not pissing me off: We are closed Monday for VJ day and I always forget this is a thing. I was reminded with "are we all set with phones to go to %other site% on Monday?"

Pissing me off: Lowtax added some web 1.0 lovely cursor to the forums. e: Lowtax changed it back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good Afternoon,

Our culture is an amazing culture, one that supports work-life balance. With that said, it is important that we take time to rest, relax and rejuvenate periodically throughout the year. We should be encouraging our team members to take that time that they have earned to do just that.

We would like to remind you that all regular part-time and full-time associates who accrue PTO should plan on taking their time taking or scheduling their time now rather than waiting until the end of the year. Our policy states that only 16 hours can be carried over from calendar year to calendar year, and that any time over and above that would be forfeited. We would hate to see our associates lose out on this time as they have so rightfully earned.

Please take a moment to review your team’s PTO balances. If an associate has PTO that is scheduled, it will not show in this report as “Taken”, it will show in “Available” until that time has passed and it has been paid out. Also keep in mind that we want all to have an opportunity to spend holidays and special occasions with family and friends so make sure to plan ahead when approving PTO during these times so we still are meeting needs of business. As leaders we also want to be cognizant of how we cover our areas as a leadership team and provide that same opportunity to our peers.

OUR CULTURE IS AMAZING. NOW TAKE YOUR loving DAYS OFF BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS. PEONS.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Getting tapped to go to Ignite this year, we’ll probably book next week (lol prices).

Gotta review that per diem policy to see how it can be abused.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is there even hotel space left that's not miles away at this point?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob Morales posted:

OUR CULTURE IS AMAZING. NOW TAKE YOUR loving DAYS OFF BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS. PEONS.

This sounds like something that would've gotten sent out at $OLDJOB, including the "only 16 hours roll over, gently caress off" bit.

It didn't help that we basically ran a skeleton crew and any PTO basically had to be covered by a manager, and until he left about 6 months before I got laid off, I actually liked my manager so I felt kinda guilty (not guilty enough to not use it, mind) about taking PTO.

Luckily new job is A) actually staffed and B) has an actually usable unlimited PTO scheme. No payouts will suck but teammates have already been out for 2+ weeks at a go and have more scheduled, so it's definitely not "you can but you shouldn't", at least as far as i can tell. It's nice. :shobon:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

devmd01 posted:

Getting tapped to go to Ignite this year, we’ll probably book next week (lol prices).

Gotta review that per diem policy to see how it can be abused.

Was about to say you're probably SOL on hotels at this point, but I still see 2 available in the approved list. (I'm at one of those because I didn't get approval until a little over a month ago...)

Stay at the Cabana Bay and be walking distance away from the all you can eat and drink after-party at Universal!!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 10, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Also keep in mind that we want all to have an opportunity to spend holidays and special occasions with family and friends so make sure to plan ahead when approving PTO during these times so we still are meeting needs of business

The first and second half of this sentence don't belong together. It's like one of those mentalist tricks where you say "Can I skip to the front of the line for the photocopier, because I need to make some copies".

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Macaroni posted:

I really liked the ServiceNow build at my last job. It's a shitshow at my current post. It's not just ServiceNow, it's the brain(lessness) behind the implementation. We're using the dumbest resolution categories I've ever seen: Resolved Permanently, Resolved Through Workaround, Not Resolved, Resolved By User.

What if the workaround is the permanent solution? What if there's no reproducible problem? Does Not Resolved mean "I didn't do my job" or "User never called back" or "Product behavior as intended, there is no fix"? I have no idea what metrics they're trying to get.

Do you work where I work?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Unused PTO here is "assigned by manager". So anything you don't use your manager decides what days you are taking off.

Say you get 14 days off, you use 10 of them. Next year you still get all 14, but your manager assigns you the 4 days you didn't use last year for a total of 18. It works out well since it the people that never take days off are now forced to take days off and stop being a massive ball of stress that's terrible to be around. I like the policy because it forces the co-workers that would never take time off to take some off. There isn't a guy that hasn't had a day off in 32 years and is ready to punch everyone in the face.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

pixaal posted:

There isn't a guy that hasn't had a day off in 32 years and is ready to punch everyone in the face.

You just know that his wife and lovely kids are the reason he's in the office 20 hours a day, he's so desperate to avoid them that he'd rather stay at work full time. Boss makes him take a week of PTO and he's gonna feature on one of those A&E murder documentaries in a few years.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You just know that his wife and lovely kids are the reason he's in the office 20 hours a day, he's so desperate to avoid them that he'd rather stay at work full time. Boss makes him take a week of PTO and he's gonna feature on one of those A&E murder documentaries in a few years.

He doesn't have to tell them he has the day off then. If they are going to be in the house leave at normal hours and do something out. If the wife has full financial access and cash would be a red flag sit in a parking lot all day listen to the radio / audio books and play cellphone games / Nintendo Switch. Anything is better than not taking your days off. I know everyplace has someone like this, and I've never understood it. If you hate your home life so much, it's time to part ways, especially if the other option is murder / suicide.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

PBS posted:

Do you work where I work?
I dunno, do I? Sent you a PM.

If you do work here and I ever heaped abuse on you, consider this a preemptive apology. :unsmith: (If you're reading this thread, you're probably not the type of person I would've heaped abuse upon.)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

pixaal posted:

He doesn't have to tell them he has the day off then. If they are going to be in the house leave at normal hours and do something out. If the wife has full financial access and cash would be a red flag sit in a parking lot all day listen to the radio / audio books and play cellphone games / Nintendo Switch. Anything is better than not taking your days off. I know everyplace has someone like this, and I've never understood it. If you hate your home life so much, it's time to part ways, especially if the other option is murder / suicide.

Depends on the situation, he might be in a bad marriage where he hosed up & did something dumb his wife could use against him to rake him over the coals in a divorce. I had an uncle in a marriage like that where he cheated on his wife, she found out but he couldn't afford to divorce her, so her "revenge" was spending more money than he made & putting their family into bankruptcy, costing them most of what they had. She eventually passed away from diabetes complications (didn't listen to her doctor & steadily got worse) but by then my uncle was so damaged he was trying to steal or find other illegal ways to get money to pay all the debt.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

xzzy posted:

That's when you get into malicious compliance territory, spend all day tracking the time you spent tracking your time.

Thats funny an all. Until you are 5 months into needing to do that poo poo every day which is the case where I work.
They apparently needed to track what we do to justify additional staff, got approval, and then just didn't hire.

Interviews, staff chosen, no final sign off making good prospective people jerk around for months until they gave up.
Meanwhile we are still putting poo poo into excel sheets and emailing them out three times a day.

A few of us, knowing they aren't actually even looking at them started not sending them.
Three weeks later some dickhead manager noticed the lack of a paperclip and drama ensued.

So on it goes and if I'm honest I'm doing about 30% less work than before. As it needs to be spaced out to give the illusion of constant activity.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

fist4jesus posted:

Thats funny an all. Until you are 5 months into needing to do that poo poo every day which is the case where I work.
They apparently needed to track what we do to justify additional staff, got approval, and then just didn't hire.

Interviews, staff chosen, no final sign off making good prospective people jerk around for months until they gave up.
Meanwhile we are still putting poo poo into excel sheets and emailing them out three times a day.

A few of us, knowing they aren't actually even looking at them started not sending them.
Three weeks later some dickhead manager noticed the lack of a paperclip and drama ensued.

So on it goes and if I'm honest I'm doing about 30% less work than before. As it needs to be spaced out to give the illusion of constant activity.

A couple positions ago we had to punch in/out and then justify why we only worked 9-5 or if we stayed late justify that as well via weekly spreadsheets that were never reviewed. By the time I left that position I would sit at my desk reading until exactly 9. If people asked me questions I would tell them to wait. I then went home at exactly 5.

The managers were absolute garbage. I got a poor performance review because I didn’t work as much overtime as someone in a completely different position with completely different responsibilities.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Macaroni posted:

Does it even matter? Is anyone going to go back to the "workaround" tickets and find better solutions for them? Why even track this if it's considered resolved?

People seek information because it's available, regardless of whether it's actionable in any way. Complete waste of time.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I'm slowly but surely getting fed-up with both of my colleagues refusing to do anything that reeks of a command-line interface.

The worst thing is that I'm not even a trained IT-professional and they're both loaded with certificates, I learn as I go on and they just look at letters and numbers and go "it hard, you do".

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The good part is that you’re going to go a lot farther than them if you’re willing to do all of the CLI work and they refuse to leave the GUI.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
At one point we had a senior software engineer who refused to leave the GUI. I don't know how that man functioned.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

buttchugging adderall posted:

At one point we had a senior software engineer who refused to leave the GUI. I don't know how that man functioned.

Probably by using one of the many really excellent GUIs that are available to write software with. You can go a long, long way as a dev and still avoid the command line (and without twisting yourself into a pretzel to do it). That's probably because the hard part about development isn't actually writing or compiling the code, it's the design and debugging.

That said, it's silly to stubbornly dig heels in when the CLI pops up as the objectively best choice for something. Most of our value as computer touchers comes from our ability to learn and solve hard problems, and if someone isn't willing to do that anymore they're going to be stuck in helpdesk forever.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Che Delilas posted:

Probably by using one of the many really excellent GUIs that are available to write software with. You can go a long, long way as a dev and still avoid the command line (and without twisting yourself into a pretzel to do it). That's probably because the hard part about development isn't actually writing or compiling the code, it's the design and debugging.

That said, it's silly to stubbornly dig heels in when the CLI pops up as the objectively best choice for something. Most of our value as computer touchers comes from our ability to learn and solve hard problems, and if someone isn't willing to do that anymore they're going to be stuck in helpdesk forever.

This man wasted countless man-hours on manually doing something using a bad GUI workflow that took me 5 minutes to automate away into a terminal command.

I know you can get really far using just a GUI as a software engineer, I heavily use GUI tools for my workflow, but this man was legitimately afraid of terminal.app in ways that left me very confused.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

buttchugging adderall posted:

This man wasted countless man-hours on manually doing something using a bad GUI workflow that took me 5 minutes to automate away into a terminal command.

I know you can get really far using just a GUI as a software engineer, I heavily use GUI tools for my workflow, but this man was legitimately afraid of terminal.app in ways that left me very confused.

Yeah, that's taking it to far for sure.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

You guys ever run cable at a bank? They're built like...a bank. You need a hammerdrill and huge drill bits.

I had the joyful project of arranging 1300 prison cells to be cabled up ealier this year... it was surprisingly ok.

I don’t have a lot of experience with ticketing metrics - the main thing I think management (aka my boss) uses it for is to justify staffing levels, he said as long as we document about 70% of our time no questions will be asked. I don’t think I’m supposed to know that but I know I’m trusted.

Our sites are pretty big, so we are allowed to say the time we spent might have been “picked phone up, logged call, was a bit weird so visited user, walked back to desk, spoke to supplier to order some part” all inclusive

So what might look like “why did you spend an hour on that job” is often reasonable

We wouldn’t use resolution time in the event of a complaint as the go to metric to be fair

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

I had the joyful project of arranging 1300 prison cells to be cabled up ealier this year... it was surprisingly ok.

So, cat6 or..?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The good part is that you’re going to go a lot farther than them if you’re willing to do all of the CLI work and they refuse to leave the GUI.

Their big drawback is that they're both the little nephew that "was good with computers" and never moved beyond that mentality.
They love taking apart workstations and spend a lot of time on individual problems, but do nothing that you might describe as "enterprise thinking".

One of them got approval from our IT director to fix 50 broken screens (10+ years old) with a fix he found on reddit.
We don't need those 50 screens, the guy just ordered a pile of 4k screens and we can barely fit those in storage.

But it looks as if he's saving money, so he gets the go ahead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your IT director is also culpable here, they should be the one who brings the business sense into the discussions

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

So, cat6 or..?
cat5e off the top of my head

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LET'S START MONDAY OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT

SSL cert at our hosted payroll/timeclock expired.

PSST ITS AUGUST 13TH

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Your IT director is also culpable here, they should be the one who brings the business sense into the discussions

Well, He's the type of Director has been described to death in this and other threads. Good (for given value of good) technical hand that gets promoted because he's been around for so long (and at one point only one of 2 IT people in the building).
So, stuck in his ways and pretty much nowhere else to go...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Well, He's the type of Director has been described to death in this and other threads. Good (for given value of good) technical hand that gets promoted because he's been around for so long (and at one point only one of 2 IT people in the building).
So, stuck in his ways and pretty much nowhere else to go...

I've come to the realisation that I dodged a bullet after being promoted to my level of incompetency that I managed to pull my head out of my rear end long enough to see it, and have since backed down to where I'm a very valuable member of the team rather than someone who just about justifies their continued employment.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
email from boss: hey can you email me some numbers
boss: (read receipt requested)
email from me: sure no problem *sends numbers*
email from boss: thanks

boss at meeting later: I've noticed that a lot of my read receipt requests are not being responded to, these are very important

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

guppy posted:

Does it even matter? Is anyone going to go back to the "workaround" tickets and find better solutions for them? Why even track this if it's considered resolved?

People seek information because it's available, regardless of whether it's actionable in any way. Complete waste of time.
Exactly. The categories at my last job were actually meaningful, something like: Resolved - Software Issue; Resolved - Hardware Issue; Resolved - User Error; Closed for Lack of Response; Closed - Unable to Reproduce; Closed - No Error/Working as Intended. It was kind of handy to glance over a user history and see that they have 20 tickets closed as user errors and working as intended, then treat them with the appropriate kid gloves. Also gave me justification for increased training/outreach if a particular feature was resulting in a lot of user error.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

nominal posted:

email from boss: hey can you email me some numbers
email from me: sure no problem *sends numbers*
email from boss: thanks

boss at meeting later: I've noticed that a lot of my read receipt requests are not being responded to, these are very important

Even better, we had somebody who set a default of always sending a read receipt.

Somebody then hit the "read" button on a few dozen emails all at the same time, and spammed her inbox with the receipt confirmations.

She asked helpdesk to do something to stop this from ever happening again, because she can't possibly work under these conditions and it took a 'long time!' to clean up her inbox before she could start working again.

The suggestion to turn off default read receipts was immediately rejected.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I received an email requesting some data from my boss so I forwarded it to my boss who sat on it all weekend before emailing the data back...to me :effort:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I turned off read receipt responses on my first day. If anyone has a problem with it, they've never said anything to me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanatosian posted:

I turned off read receipt responses on my first day. If anyone has a problem with it, they've never said anything to me.

I set a standing meeting daily for my lunch hour on my first day along with ending my work day earlier than I actually leave so that the calendar looks like it's unavailable. #outlookhacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kensei posted:

standing meeting daily for my lunch hour

I do this too, but the downside is that I'm actually kinda flexible about when I take my lunch hour so long as I take it, but "flexible on times" is not something that calendar systems tend to support.