Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

.Z. posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on a vacuum chamber sealer to buy? Whatever Vacmaster fits my budget?

I have the VP120 and it is all kinds of awesome. The lid is plastic but it’s held up for I think nearly ten years now. Zero maintenance so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No idea but I remember someone saying to get the oil free kind because they are lower maintenance I believe.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have the VP120 and it is all kinds of awesome. The lid is plastic but it’s held up for I think nearly ten years now. Zero maintenance so far.

Cool thanks for the info. Will take a look at the VP120.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just did my second ever sous vide steak. Rib eye marinated 4 hours in 1/4 cup soy sauce 3 Tbsp sunflower oil 1 minced garlic 1 tsp ground cumin 1/2 tsp dried oregano.

I did the Kenji method of cast iron + heat gun and oh my god you guys

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Might be old news, but here's a heads up that some Walmarts have an immersion heater clearanced down to $19 - https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=992671284

I grabbed two - one for myself, and one to give as a Christmas present (as long as it's not trash, of course). Mine's heating up a batch of water right now, I'm excited to try out a test porkchop at 144f!

Trip report: hell yeah

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 12, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Sentient Data posted:

Might be old news, but here's a heads up that some Walmarts have an immersion heater clearanced down to $19 - https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=992671284

I grabbed two - one for myself, and one to give as a Christmas present (as long as it's not trash, of course). Mine's heating up a batch of water right now, I'm excited to try out a test porkchop at 144f!

Trip report: hell yeah

drat. Mine had it but it's still $49

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm looking to adopt a slow cooker eye of round roast to sous vide. We usually use the liquid in the slow cooker as a kind of weak, lovely jous. Normally I would just find a recipe specifically for this, but my wife already prepped ingredients for the slow cooker and our schedules conspired to make it inconvenient to use the slow cooker. So I suggested just puddling it and stashing it in the fridge until Sunday when we'll reheat it for dinner.

So here's what normally goes in the cooker:

The roast
Rosemary, salt, pepper
Roughly chopped onion
Minced garlic
Beef stock
Bay leaf
Peppercorns
Worcestershire sauce

I feel like some of this stuff wouldn't be great to have in the bag for a 24hr+ cook, like the onions and garlic. And other things might be ok in the bag but might not work as they would in the slow cooker recipe like the Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, and beef stock.

So my plan is to rub the roast with spices, sear it, bag it and cook it and save all the rest to be used with bag juices for jous on Sunday.

That sound ok? Or should I just toss it all in the bag and it'll be fine?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’d personally put it all in the bag, subbing garlic powder for the minced.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah guess I could. I just figured the onion would turn to mush, but maybe that's not a bad thing and would add more flavor to the juices. Was planning to strain it anyway so mush shouldn't be a big deal. Think I should put in the beef stock? Or just add some as necessary to the bag juices later in?

I was thinking I'd do 134° for medium rare like I do for chuck roast. One thing I really hate about this recipe is how over cooked the beef ends up so it's all dry and flaky instead of moist and sliceable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don’t need to put the stock in, I don’t think. The meat won’t lose much moisture because it’s sealed, and you don’t need it as a heat-transfer medium.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I was kind of thinking it would help distribute some of the flavor from the bay leaf and peppercorns since they'd otherwise just be stuck to a spot on the roast. But I guess there'll be juices in the bag eventually to serve that purpose and I'll just make sure to rotate it occasionally.

Enough overthinking a simple recipe, I'm gonna bag this thing up. Thanks for your input!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You’re a monster if you don’t cherish the presence of dissolved onions in sauce.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

So, yeah, I'm in love with the one two punch of SV and a hot sear. I've done pork chops, cheap steak, chicken breast, and potatoes. What's some less conventional stuff (not just different types of meat) to try out?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

So, yeah, I'm in love with the one two punch of SV and a hot sear. I've done pork chops, cheap steak, chicken breast, and potatoes. What's some less conventional stuff (not just different types of meat) to try out?

Carrots.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

turnips, carrots, asparagus are all excellent sous vide

Also I like to use it to make dulce de leche from condensed milk. You can just plop a sealed can in for a while and let the magic happen.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Eggs do eggs there's so many cool SV things you can do with eggs that you cannot do with any other way of cooking

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I love how the epitome of bad cooking revolves around boomers boiling the poo poo out of food, but that I'm thrilled at the thought of bagging some veggies then tossing them in slightly cooler water for a while

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah guess I could. I just figured the onion would turn to mush, but maybe that's not a bad thing and would add more flavor to the juices. Was planning to strain it anyway so mush shouldn't be a big deal. Think I should put in the beef stock? Or just add some as necessary to the bag juices later in?

I was thinking I'd do 134° for medium rare like I do for chuck roast. One thing I really hate about this recipe is how over cooked the beef ends up so it's all dry and flaky instead of moist and sliceable.

I would cook the onion first, the thing is you have to really think about how your not getting a temperature high enough for caramelization.

Possibly toast your spices beforehand also.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does braising usually get hot enough to caramelize onions? I’m not going to argue against toasting spices basically ever, but it doesn’t seem like something that’s lost from the original.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Braising is usually too wet to caramelize onions (maxing out at 212F). You need Maillard reactions to properly caramelize.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/01/toasted-cream.html

Has anyone tried making 'toasted' cream in the sous vide? I'm really intrigued, although I can't work out what I'd actually do with it because I tend to not use cream very often.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Too late for all that. The onions and spices wouldn't have been caramelized or toasted in the slow cooker recipe either, so this is more "authentic". Definitely good ideas for next time though. I'm sure it'll turn out fine though and honestly hope my wife likes it enough to do it this way now instead of in the slow cooker.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

My four year old daughter requests that I make these on a regular basis. They're so good.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I made 48h sous vide lamb shoulder last night; it's become my go-to sous vide dish, because the texture just becomes unbelievably soft. I hosed up though, and used dried rosemary because I forgot to buy fresh.

Heads up: this is a bad idea. Dried rosemary is a gently caress to clean off the meat and if you miss one small clump when you sear the meat you wind up with a mouthful of hot loving garbage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe in a little cheesecloth sachet would work?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe in a little cheesecloth sachet would work?
Yeah next time I'm using dried anything in a SV, it's going in its own packet instead of just dropped in the bag. I'll happily gently caress up, but I'm not gunna do it without learning how to not gently caress up so bad next time.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Thirding or whatever that carrot recipe. Also good is corn; just drop the cobb in the bag with a couple pats of butter. I don't care for corn personally but my wife thinks it is great in the sous vide.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finally doing whole chicken sous vide. Got a nice, fairly small one. Part of the point was being able to just put the vacuumed bird straight in from the store, but it came in a box this time. Seasoned with smoked chili salt, bagged up very nice, gut opening facing out of the bag.

Fit my PID-controlled rice cooker ok, but it did float a bit. There's still a void inside the rib cage, with some trace chicken atmosphere, that's displacing water and causing some buoyancy.

My trusty kitchen stone weighed it down nicely. My first thought was stuffing it with something, but it's way too small for a whole lemon and lemon wedges would just leak juice and cause problems with sealing.

Having thought it through, I'm not worried about the inside insulating. It will be in there for 8-10 hours at 152F and it'll cook from the outside in. There's little if any air in the middle to cool down the water's heating effort.

The only thing that matters is will it be tasty? Will cool it down, then broil in the oven, planning to finish in good time before the backup pizza delivery closes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I would've thought that spatchcocking it would remove the air bubble and let it all cook evenly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I would've thought that spatchcocking it would remove the air bubble and let it all cook evenly.

Maybe, but it would be harder to fit in my rice cooker. I think it will cook evenly anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Maybe, but it would be harder to fit in my rice cooker. I think it will cook evenly anyway.

Woops. The remaining air expanded with heat and inflated the bag slightly. My stone is still keeping it weighed down and I moved the bag a bit so the air is moved above the surface. But a pepperoni supreme is looking more likely.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No pizza needed. Just under nine hours cooking time and the bird was slightly overdone if anything. Stringy, dry-ish breast, very nice thighs. Someone scared of undercooked chicken would be pleased.

Will do same temp, six hours next time. Just wish I had a grill to finish it properly on both sides.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Ola posted:

After you take out the spine, the bird still holds it's original shape and some additional work is required to get it flat, so it could work still. Cutting it all the way in half may be a good idea. Seems like it would be easier to sear off too.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i dont know why you'd sous vide a whole chicken. different parts benefit from different textures.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Whalley posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/01/toasted-cream.html

Has anyone tried making 'toasted' cream in the sous vide? I'm really intrigued, although I can't work out what I'd actually do with it because I tend to not use cream very often.

I done did it once. I think I had to throw half of it out due to not enough use cases before it went off.

Good in not-fruity milk punch style recipes, but too toasty for much else. "Nah" to white Russians. It made coffee different but not better. I disagree with the "toffee" descriptor, it was basically cream that tasted like toast.

If it had been eggnog season I'd have tried that. I don't cook steak enough to do a pan sauce as they suggest, and no way was I attempting ice cream with that flavor.

I did the highest end of the time range, so if you try I'd do middle or lower end. Might be more subtle and thus mixable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

i dont know why you'd sous vide a whole chicken. different parts benefit from different textures.

Why would you roast a whole chicken?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

When you roast a chicken the different parts finish at different temps...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

When you roast a chicken the different parts finish at different temps...

A fair point, Mr Appropriate Username.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
I want to start making poke, but I don’t have easy or affordable access to sushi-grade (surely a loaded term) fish. Looking at the SE guide to SV salmon, it sounds like doing it at 105 F gives a texture “like firm sashimi.” So theoretically I could buy Costco salmon, vizzle it, and still end up with something akin to poke, even if the fish isn’t raw. I would probably have to chill it immediately after cooking?

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Anyone tried doing
salmon that low? It seems like such a low temp that it seems weird that it would be food-safe. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I also don’t want to get worms or die of some fish-related disease.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fuckwolf posted:

I want to start making poke, but I don’t have easy or affordable access to sushi-grade (surely a loaded term) fish. Looking at the SE guide to SV salmon, it sounds like doing it at 105 F gives a texture “like firm sashimi.” So theoretically I could buy Costco salmon, vizzle it, and still end up with something akin to poke, even if the fish isn’t raw. I would probably have to chill it immediately after cooking?

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Anyone tried doing
salmon that low? It seems like such a low temp that it seems weird that it would be food-safe. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I also don’t want to get worms or die of some fish-related disease.

I guess it might be more safe than raw? Or maybe not? Particularly if you freeze it first to kill any parasites, if it hasn't been already. But "sushi-grade" refers mostly to the quality of the cut, like there's no bone, scale or gristle, not that it's edible or parasitic or some such. There's no bone and gristle in sashimi, just pure and pretty flesh. But the entire fish is as safe to eat as the nicest cuts of the top loin. If you get a whole frozen fish you can just thaw it and cut it yourself for practice. Vizzling at 105F wouldn't achieve much in terms of food safety or quality. I like a hot sear and a raw center.

Try to figure out what sort of fish are available to you and if it's safe to eat them raw. Farmed fish are generally safer than wild because they live more sheltered lives, get more anti parasitic drugs and go straight into the production chain. Often they are frozen straight away and thawed before going on display in the supermarket. If it's safe to eat raw, do whatever you want, eat it like a grizzly bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah I mean I use salmon from Aldi and eat it raw. Follow the serious eats for the recipe with toasted macadamia nuts salmon poke and it's incredible. Haven't died yet.