Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Dragonstoned posted:

Is the coin pricing this dumb in other currencies?

Aren't things supposed to be cheaper the more you buy? Why is it I can get 1500 coins for 15 bux but the 14.99 pack is only 1200 coins?

I'd raise this issue with Niantic but i fear their "solution" would be to raise the price of the 100 coins rather then make the other options cheaper.

Is that USD? Because this is the shop when I look at it, in the US:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dragonstoned posted:

Aren't things supposed to be cheaper the more you buy? Why is it I can get 1500 coins for 15 bux but the 14.99 pack is only 1200 coins?

I'd raise this issue with Niantic but i fear their "solution" would be to raise the price of the 100 coins rather then make the other options cheaper.

Phone games do that so you have uneven counts and buy more. Plus I suppose it's cheaper per coin if you buy in bulk.

It's mostly a get you to buy more tactic.

Wait those are the same wtf

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015

Dragonstoned posted:

This is also the case in my country. People are already aware about this since waay back in 2017. They thought it was temporary discount at first but turned out to be permanent, basically Niantic's marketing strategy.

Let me link you to a discussion about it with Niantic official response here

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Willsun posted:

There's no shiny Eevee from 2016 though, or 2017 for that matter... Also does lucky Pokemon have a guaranteed better IV floor? I forget if people have gotten lucky Pokemon but their IVs were garbage or not.

From the luckies I have I’d venture the IVs get rolled in the same way as a raid boss I.e. no stat below 10. That’s from a sample set of about 15 lucky Pokemon - me and my girlfriend traded basically every Eevee we caught for the extra candy and the chance of luckies.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Ziddar posted:

Is that USD? Because this is the shop when I look at it, in the US:

It's in NZD, see those prices make much more sense but I guess exchange rate fucks everything up

systemchronos posted:

This is also the case in my country. People are already aware about this since waay back in 2017. They thought it was temporary discount at first but turned out to be permanent, basically Niantic's marketing strategy.

Let me link you to a discussion about it with Niantic official response here

Ah ok, looks like I'll just have to deal with buying multiple packs of 100 coins even if it is a giant pain in the rear end.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ShakeZula posted:

Now if only I could go back in time and wait to evolve my Magikarp until I was at that stage of the Mew research, I'd be on Easy Street.

Lol I have been hoarding my magikarp, wailmer and swablu candies until I have 800. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me can't get fooled again.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Got my second Raikou tonight. One more and then I'll save stamps for the next research reward. Having a fucker of a time catching 10 ghost pokemon. One of my local parks was a Gastly nest until a few days ago and now it's all slowpokes. drat ghost types are hard to come by now.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Uh so this game is rapidly becoming unplayably broken for me. Started on Saturday when I tried to do an alolan marowak raid but the 3D model for him wasn’t loading so entering the gym would hard lock the game. Over the course of the day more and more Pokemon would have their model fail to load and be displayed as glowing balls of light, or not at all. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling with unpredictable results - often I couldn’t log on at all, sometimes it would let me in but with the same problems.

Today it seemed to be working ok this morning but twice I have wasted raid passes (yesterday and today’s free ones) starting a raid battle before being kicked out with an error 30 (hilariously Niantic’s site lists error codes; 29 and 31 are in the list but no mention of 30).

Googling shows me people with similar errors nearly a year ago but that was apparently fixed and was also on Android (I’m on iOS). Has anyone had anything similar and if so how did you fix it? I got my first EX pass for next Sunday after months of trying and now it looks like I’m not going to even be able to do it. :smith:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

back when scanners still worked and you could see spawn timers, it seemed like 15 minutes was usually how long they stuck around but i think they'd go as high as 30 minutes sometimes depending on the spawn, with rarer pokemon having shorter timers before they vanished.

I'm poo poo at coding but was one of the people often tagged when a segment of our local map want down, and had a lot of fun chasing stuff on top of that. Can definitively say:

No true 15 minute timers that I'm aware of, as mentioned before, short timers meant the map wasn't at 100%.

Vast majority were 30 minutes.

Rarer 'mons were often an hour. The first few Unowns that popped around here were an hour, but that changed around August of 2017. I assume because so many people were showing up to so many Unown all over the planet.

Pomplamoose posted:

Back when scanners worked, I remember community day spawns being shorter than normal spawns. I think the community day spawns topped out at 30 minutes, while normal spawns went up to 60 minutes.

Oh yeah. We only had three of em before the maps went down.

Untrustable posted:

Got my second Raikou tonight. One more and then I'll save stamps for the next research reward. Having a fucker of a time catching 10 ghost pokemon. One of my local parks was a Gastly nest until a few days ago and now it's all slowpokes. drat ghost types are hard to come by now.

Raikou is one of the best electric attackers. Entei isn't too shabby, but Suicune is loving awful. Plus you should have two full weeks left, so two more, no reason to skip unless you're planning to turn in on the first of Sept to get five of whatever is next.

I like my Entei, but I use Raikou way more.

Ghosts are all over late at night. I don't know how feasible it is for your to stay up til 11 or 12 and then go out, but if you can, you should encounter 10 ghosts in a half hour or so, just in a boring old non-Mt. Moon biome. Shuppets especially like to hang around hospitals at night (only if they're marked as such on OSM).

Some bright young thing has been turning churches into small lakes and roundabouts into very small parks on OSM around here. The amount of people who are dismayed at this blatent cheating is amusing.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah I barely sleep and I own my business so I don't really have a set schedule. My only issue with late night Pokemon hunting is the police always hassling me. I'm a god damned bailbondsman and it's not illegal to drive around downtown at night but in a small town the sidewalks roll up at 9 and all the traffic is PD. I'm still pissed about getting pulled over for "being parked late at night" last week.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
When do nest changes occur? Just learned there is an Abra nest near our house, but I don't think the wife and I will have time to hit it up tonight.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

pubic works project posted:

When do nest changes occur? Just learned there is an Abra nest near our house, but I don't think the wife and I will have time to hit it up tonight.

You have until next Wednesday 8pm EST.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Edward IV posted:

You have until next Wednesday 8pm EST.

okay sweet. Hopefully we'll catch enough so she can get a Kadabra and Alakazam.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Untrustable posted:

Yeah I barely sleep and I own my business so I don't really have a set schedule. My only issue with late night Pokemon hunting is the police always hassling me. I'm a god damned bailbondsman and it's not illegal to drive around downtown at night but in a small town the sidewalks roll up at 9 and all the traffic is PD. I'm still pissed about getting pulled over for "being parked late at night" last week.

Oh man, that is ridiculous. I got "pulled over" in 2017 for being parked in a church lot late a night, but I'm a small white woman and had PoGo up on my phone, so the cop was chill. Reminded me churches are private property, which I did kind of forget.

Is there any point in saying "hey, I play this game, I park so I'm not illegally driving while distracted, can you advise me on how to not waste more of your guys' time than absolutely unavoidable" or something similar? Some cops are OK. Many are not. Not sure what it's like in your town.

At least if they arrest you on bullshit charges, you can make bail :shrug:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Is there any point in saying "hey, I play this game, I park so I'm not illegally driving while distracted, can you advise me on how to not waste more of your guys' time than absolutely unavoidable" or something similar? Some cops are OK. Many are not. Not sure what it's like in your town.

I think it all depends on the cop. Okay ones would probably be able to come up with something helpful to say. Other ones are just going to be loving dicks about it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got bullied into playing this game a couple days ago can someone tell me why one of my rattattas is dark/normal and the other (and a raticate) is just normal

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's 2018. I don't see color.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

IcePhoenix posted:

I got bullied into playing this game a couple days ago can someone tell me why one of my rattattas is dark/normal and the other (and a raticate) is just normal

Pokehawaii

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

Pokemon sun / moon introduced new forms of old kanto Pokemon, including Rattata, Sandshrew, Vulpix, Raichu, and most importantly Exeggutor (among others). Niantic threw a bone to the players and released them early.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

neat, thanks

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

neat, thanks

what's your friend code, TFF-friend??

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

7858 9548 2577

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

IcePhoenix posted:

It's evolution, except more like real world Darwin evolution than pokemon evolution. Alolan pokemon are island forms of existing species that developed a new type in order to adapt to island life. A few can be found in the wild, but most of them come from yellow 7km Alolan eggs (obtainable only in gifts from friends) or raid bosses.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

7858 9548 2577

Added you

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If it’s hotter and more sunny than your usual environment just turn to ice, or become evil. That’s evolution.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hooray new friends

Teeter posted:

It's evolution, except more like real world Darwin evolution than pokemon evolution. Alolan pokemon are island forms of existing species that developed a new type in order to adapt to island life. A few can be found in the wild, but most of them come from yellow 7km Alolan eggs (obtainable only in gifts from friends) or raid bosses.

got it, I skipped a couple gens of pokemon by now I think so a lot of newer stuff is just a complete unknown to me

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 14, 2018

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Kly posted:

i completed a research task and ran from the encounter it gave me because i was busy. i thought it would let me do it later, is that not the case? i cant find

Do you already have a research encounter waiting to be redeemed? Stacking rewards will only ever add a fourth research spot. Any additional encounters get queued up and you will have to redeem the first ones in order to get through the pile.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FrensaGeran posted:

If it’s hotter and more sunny than your usual environment just turn to ice, or become evil. That’s evolution.

It does get snowy on some of the volcanoes, and the introduction of rats killed off most of the birds. A-Raticate is super fat.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
In-game notice says next community day is Sep. 22nd for Chikorita.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Willsun posted:

In-game notice says next community day is Sep. 22nd for Chikorita.

hard pass

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Yeah especially since they made it Saturday again, I'll be out for my lunch to catch a few and call it a day. For a Pokemon even less viable than Venusaur.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

got it, I skipped a couple gens of pokemon by now I think so a lot of newer stuff is just a complete unown to me

ftfy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hm... chikorita line shinies, 4/10....... no thanks......

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I'd rather have a Bulbasaur community day over Chikorita.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

pubic works project posted:

I'd rather have a Bulbasaur community day over Chikorita.

You missed it. It was the second one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
IcePhoenix I appreciate the gift you sent me.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

You missed it. It was the second one.

Ah dammit. Could have had a Venasaur by now.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fall breeze chikorita appropriate for September.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

IcePhoenix I appreciate the gift you sent me.

:tipshat:

What was in it? I heard that distance helps but I have no clue outside of that, I can't open any right now (thanks to those who sent them) because my inventory is basically always full since this is the view from my desk:

(the view from home is the opposite but hey, win some lose some)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

:tipshat:

What was in it? I heard that distance helps but I have no clue outside of that, I can't open any right now (thanks to those who sent them) because my inventory is basically always full since this is the view from my desk:

(the view from home is the opposite but hey, win some lose some)

I am very jealous.

• Locked thread