Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

"tricks"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wait, prosecutors are an elected position in the US?

Why the gently caress would that be an elected position.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Andrast posted:

Being an appointed position would be just as bad in certain parts of the country.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cythereal posted:

Everyone in Florida knows that Stand Your Ground exists to let white people shoot black people for little to no reason and get away with it. I can't think of a single instance of it being used to defend a minority shooting a white person.

I think that perception might have some reporting bias in it. I do remember a few mentions of cases like that in the news back when I lived in Tampa, though nothing in front-page headlines.

I dug up this credible-looking study, and for all its flaws and conspicuous failures, Stand Your Ground is mostly about white men shooting each other (and to a lesser degree, black men shooting each other). From 2005 through 2013, Florida's Stand Your Ground law was invoked in 16 white-on-black shootings and 11 black-on-white shootings. White on non-white shootings (25) slightly outnumbered non-white-on-white shootings (22), but both are pretty small compared to white-on-white shootings (94) or black-on-black shootings (53). Black defendants were actually slightly less likely to be found guilty (18.57% in court, 14.28% via plea bargain) than white defendants (21% and 15.97% respectively) or Hispanic defendants (22.22% and 14.81%), though the authors didn't find this difference to be statistically significant.

They did find one interesting significant ethnic dividing line: white defendants were more likely to open fire on unarmed victims (76%, vs 54% of black defendants and 37% of Hispanic defendants), but also more likely to be attacked as unarmed victims (74%, vs 54% and 50%), which seems to be... again, mostly white people attacking each other.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ariong posted:

Wow, she looks like a Disney villian.

have you seen what the governor of FL looks like?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Yond Cassius posted:

I think that perception might have some reporting bias in it. I do remember a few mentions of cases like that in the news back when I lived in Tampa, though nothing in front-page headlines.

I dug up this credible-looking study, and for all its flaws and conspicuous failures, Stand Your Ground is mostly about white men shooting each other (and to a lesser degree, black men shooting each other). From 2005 through 2013, Florida's Stand Your Ground law was invoked in 16 white-on-black shootings and 11 black-on-white shootings. White on non-white shootings (25) slightly outnumbered non-white-on-white shootings (22), but both are pretty small compared to white-on-white shootings (94) or black-on-black shootings (53). Black defendants were actually slightly less likely to be found guilty (18.57% in court, 14.28% via plea bargain) than white defendants (21% and 15.97% respectively) or Hispanic defendants (22.22% and 14.81%), though the authors didn't find this difference to be statistically significant.

They did find one interesting significant ethnic dividing line: white defendants were more likely to open fire on unarmed victims (76%, vs 54% of black defendants and 37% of Hispanic defendants), but also more likely to be attacked as unarmed victims (74%, vs 54% and 50%), which seems to be... again, mostly white people attacking each other.

Good thing that White people got the memo, RE: kill whitey

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Andrast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_b78GSBUs

Oh my dude. Watch this. We have such sights to show you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Andrast posted:

Some counties in the US hold elections for coroners.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Raygereio posted:

Some counties in the US hold elections for coroners.

Important position, they're the only ones that can arrest the sheriff!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hell, they got lucky. That thing could rip the entire boat to pieces with them along if it wanted.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I like the little fakeout it did.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Azhais posted:

Important position, they're the only ones that can arrest the sheriff!

But in my county, the sheriff is the coroner!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Well then he's fuckin unstoppable.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://i.imgur.com/XwKg3Zw.mp4
I'm the fire too close to everything

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Who dissects the coroner?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lurking Haro posted:

Who dissects the coroner?

You have to dissect the coroner to become the coroner :black101:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Andrast posted:

That's nothing. We elect judges, and the judges can get campaign donations, and the judges can then preside over cases involving the people who gave them the campaign donations.

and corporations are people

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tolle corpus Satanae

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

You have to dissect the coroner to become the coroner :black101:

The coroner is dead, long live the coroner.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

That's nothing. We elect judges, and the judges can get campaign donations, and the judges can then preside over cases involving the people who gave them the campaign donations.

and corporations are people

Ahaha America

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lol, the "My mouth is big enough for two of these" at the end slays me.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

vimeo has more morals then fb / twitter. @jack and zuck are nazis

Atticus_1354 posted:

That dudes missing out on some great meals if he doesnt want black people handling his food.

I guess he only cooks at home you cant eat out in the south if you dont want minorities handling your food. I havent been to a single restraunt or fast food place in nc sc tn where the entire back of the house wasnt black hispanic or asian. Most the entire work force except for the manager are black or hispanic.

snergle has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Aug 14, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If he's not interested in profit, then he can pay for his own video streaming website. Pull up your bootstraps Alex!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Picnic Princess posted:

If he's not interested in profit, then he can pay for his own video streaming website. Pull up your bootstraps Alex!

I'm assuming he has his own website and hosts his own videos in addition to spreading them on social media though? So the point of having them on social media is just to attract new followers as the existing ones can go to the website. But like.... has he seen vimeo? I can't think there'd be a large untapped resource of Alex Jones-type fans just browsing amateur filmmaker's videos that they put on Vimeo because YouTube always takes down their stolen music, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Picnic Princess posted:

Pull up your bootstraps Alex!

I realised the other day that I didn't know where the term 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' comes from or how it's even supposed to work (bootstraps????) so I googled it and it turns out that the original meaning was to perform an impossible task by grabbing the little loops at the back of your boots and hauling yourself up over an obstacle, pretty much exactly like Baron Munchausen getting himself and his horse out of the mud they were sinking in by grabbing his pigtail and pulling himself up and out.

I learned a thing!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bud Light is making a special shipment of beer that will never be tasted.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1029355079357411329

It has been ~600 days since the Browns last win. The Browns are purportedly a professional football team in the NFL.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

If only we could do the same to all Bud Light.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Saint Freak posted:

It has been ~600 days since the Browns last win. The Browns are purportedly a professional football team in the NFL.

The true schad will be if they do win and fans have to celebrate by drinking bud light

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Saint Freak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZndxEvFNk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
^^^e:f;b^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZndxEvFNk

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

On the one hand, I kind of want to see them win some this season.

But on the other, I really enjoyed the salty tweets from the athletes in response to the "perfect season" parade the fans held.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential, Jon Bois is an amazing storyteller. Chart Party and Pretty Good are choice watches. The whole thing.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

davebo posted:

I'm assuming he has his own website and hosts his own videos in addition to spreading them on social media though? So the point of having them on social media is just to attract new followers as the existing ones can go to the website. But like.... has he seen vimeo? I can't think there'd be a large untapped resource of Alex Jones-type fans just browsing amateur filmmaker's videos that they put on Vimeo because YouTube always takes down their stolen music, right?

:negative:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Away all Goats posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XwKg3Zw.mp4
I'm the fire too close to everything

Holy poo poo, at least he had the good sense to fireproof his.... everything before attempting whatever the hell his goal was.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Buck Wildman posted:

Holy poo poo, at least he had the good sense to fireproof his.... everything before attempting whatever the hell his goal was.

Two-face cosplay is coming along.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

iospace posted:

Tangential, Jon Bois is an amazing storyteller. Chart Party and Pretty Good are choice watches. The whole thing.

If you haven't read 17776 strap yourself in and read it

Its the best art I've seen in the last 10 years.

It will change how you view the world.

Dunno how a sports writer got so drat smart.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Who's bed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLT3CKMMc_E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
West Virginia Supreme Court is going down in flames.

quote:

Lawmakers in West Virginia have voted to impeach all four justices on the state's Supreme Court for failing to carry out their duties.

Three justices now face an impeachment trial in the Senate while a fourth announced her retirement on Tuesday.

A fifth justice resigned from the top court in July.

The judges are accused of spending hundreds of thousands of state dollars in office renovations, using state cars for personal use and overpaying judges.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45185684