Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BIG DETAILED BREAKDOWN HERE: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/13/17671928/primary-elections-2018-wisconsin-minnesota-connecticut-vermont

Listing off the major races of note here:

Wisconsin
  • Governor Scott Walker is our target, and we're voting on who will oppose him in November:
    • Tony Evers, the state school superintendent. Evers has a big lead in the very limited polling we have so far. This primary is still completely up in the air.
    • Mahlon Mitchell, a former Madison firefighter, union president of the PFFA, and all-around swell guy
    • Kelda Roys, former state legislature and minority chair, and all-around swell lady
    • Madison mayor Paul Soglin, state senator Kathleen Vinehout, political activist Mike McCabe
  • The Republicans are attempting to oust Senator Tammy Baldwin, and their candidates Leah Vukmir and Kevin Nicholson are attacking each other over not loving Trump enough. Vukmir wasn't an early Trump supporter, while Nicholson is a former Democrat. Tammy is probably safe in November.
  • IRON STACHE and his primary opponent Cathy Myers, running to try to take WI-01, Paul Ryan's seat, from the Republicans.

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/889604618224893952

Minnesota
  • For State Attorney General, the candidates Keith Ellison, Debra Hilstrom, and Tom Foley, Matt Pelikan, and Mike Rothman.
    • Ellison has been accused of domestic violence by an ex-girlfriend.
  • Senator Tina Smith, the appointed replacement for Al Franken, is being primaried by Richard Painter, a former Bush administration official and #resistance darling. State senator Karin Housley and dental technician Bob Anderson are running in the Republican primary to oppose Smith in November.
  • Governor Mark Dayton is retiring, and the Democratic candidates to replace him are Representative Tim Walz, state rep. Erin Murphy, and state AG Lori Swanson. Republican candidates are failed presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty and former Dayton opponent Jeff Johnson.

Vermont
  • The Democrats are running to nominate someone to unseat the incumbent governor Phil Scott:
    • Christine Hallquist, a former electric co-op executive. If she wins she will be the first transgender nominee for governor.
    • Ethan Sonneborn, a 14-year-old, Brenda Siegel, director of the Southern Vermont Dance Festival, James Ehlers, environmental activist, and as a write-in candidate state senator John Rodgers

Connecticut
  • The incumbent governor Daniel Malloy isn't seeking re-election, and the Republicans are trying to flip this seat.
    • Republican candidates: Business executives Bob Stefanowski and David Stemerman and mayor Mark Boughton
    • Democratic candidates: Bridgeport mayor Joe Ganim and "business leader" Neil Lamont who has received the endorsement of the state party. Lamont successfully primaried Lieberman in 2006 but lost the general against Lieberman when he ran as an independent.

There are more races than just these, refer to the above Vox article for the other state legislative seats and congressional seats.

Upcoming primaries:

Xelkelvos posted:

Here's a better list of forthcoming primaries that I ripped from WaPo

code:
Alaska			August 21
Wyoming			August 21

Arizona			August 28
Florida			August 28

Massachusetts		September 4
Delaware		September 6
New Hampshire		September 11
Rhode Island		September 12

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Big Beef City posted:

Is there a live results/updating site?

I know there was for the OK race and have been for others and I hate to be that guy. Could it get posted and added to the OP maybe? Then there won't be more of me.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 02:35 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
man gently caress Richard painter

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Iron never lies

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For any other Wisconsinites, this will be my ballot when I leave to go vote in a little bit:

Gov: Mahlon Mitchell
Lt Gov: Mandela Barnes
Sec State: Arvina Martin

The other races are uncontested for my district so who cares. The candidates for both Lt Gov and SecState are all pretty OK so I'm not too concerned who ends up winning these nominations, but for governor I think Mitchell has the best shot at stirring up enough excitement to beat Walker in November. Plus I've met Mahlon before and he's really a great person. Evers is decent but I'm reminded way too much of Barrett and Burke and how "safe" and unthrilling of candidates they were, and I'm not sure the blue wave will be strong enough to push Evers past Walker. We'll see what happens tonight after the polls close, though.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
RON PAUL 2008

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Let's see how this goes.

e: Walker has been wailing about this for months now. Since he's the slickest horror/politician to happen in WI in a hundred years, that's probably a good thing.

e2: Cathy Myers isn't actually that bad as far as I know, but Ironstache seems to have sucked up all the energy and oxygen in the room, so he seems like a more likely winner in Nov.

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Aug 14, 2018

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I'm legit excited to see how the Iron Stache vs Not Iron Stache race goes but I can't find any recent polls

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm legit excited to see how the Iron Stache vs Not Iron Stache race goes but I can't find any recent polls

what i could find

quote:

Public polling in the race is hard to come by, but a July poll from Congressional Leadership Fund, a super PAC aligned with Ryan, found Myers with a 1-point lead. A third of those surveyed were undecided.

e: I'm still trying to parse the Ing loss (which was devastating) but this is another match-up btw a nationally known and funded candidate versus a candidate endorsed by local organizations oriented towards women causes. If Myers wins here, consider it another notch of Indivisible, whose decentralized push for women candidates is the overwhelmingly understated story of 2018.

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Aug 14, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

as far as I know the main difference between them is that Bryce is all aboard the abolish ice train where as Cathy is concerned about security so go Bryce. Hopefully he won't be another Ing who had more tweets than gotv

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh lol my polling place turned out to be the church I attended as a kid. The old ladies stared at my piss tape hat but didn't say anything. I was 40th to vote in my ward.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

so which ones (if any) are non-succ?

i want to believe in the iron

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Amy Klobuchar, the other Senator from Minnesota (this may be her literal campaign motto), is also in today's primary. Her primary challengers include a convicted murderer and some other people. She's probably not going anywhere.

Also, Keith Ellison's old congressional seat is up for grabs. Whoever wins the Democratic primary here will probably win the election. There's a few good people in the running here, though I'm really pulling for Ilhan Omar.

Hennepin County (Minneapolis) sheriff's election is actually noteworthy too, as the current incumbent is an ICE-collaborating piece of trash, and the guy looking to replace him is running on not being an ICE-collaborating piece of trash.

And yeah, gently caress Richard Painter.

Dec 26, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

man gently caress Richard painter

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Feranon posted:

he was a huge fan of louise mensch and other #resistance succ poo poo

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feranon posted:

BERNIE

SANDERS

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

gently caress to richard painter

and gently caress yes Ilhan

also vote erin

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

None of these cadidates are pure enough for me
NO VOTE

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Feranon posted:

He got arrested for a DUI in 1998 so he is cool as hell imo

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

He got arrested for a DUI in 1998 so he is cool as hell imo

From what I understand, this only helps your chances of getting elected in Wisconsin?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

docbeard posted:

Amy Klobuchar, the other Senator from Minnesota (this may be her literal campaign motto), is also in today's primary. Her primary challengers include a convicted murderer and some other people. She's probably not going anywhere.

Also, Keith Ellison's old congressional seat is up for grabs. Whoever wins the Democratic primary here will probably win the election. There's a few good people in the running here, though I'm really pulling for Ilhan Omar.

Hennepin County (Minneapolis) sheriff's election is actually noteworthy too, as the current incumbent is an ICE-collaborating piece of trash, and the guy looking to replace him is running on not being an ICE-collaborating piece of trash.

And yeah, gently caress Richard Painter.

I was heavily considering Patricia Torres Ray but I dont want to hurt the chances of a progressive getting in, so going with the crowd on Omar.

whats with all the crazy people running?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

UrbicaMortis posted:

From what I understand, this only helps your chances of getting elected in Wisconsin?

DUIs were only very recently made a felony in Wisconsin -- and that's only after your third offense.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Raptor1033 posted:

I was heavily considering Patricia Torres Ray but I dont want to hurt the chances of a progressive getting in, so going with the crowd on Omar.

whats with all the crazy people running?

Ray seems really good too. Really, Drake's the only one I don't like at all in that race.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I just wish there was ranked choice voting for primaries too, that would neatly solve my quandary.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

I just wish there was ranked choice voting for primaries too, that would neatly solve my quandary.

If there was Ranked choice voting, then you might as well make it a Jungle Primary.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

gently caress EM UP RANDY

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oh man what if cathy wins

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ACK!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/1029432581761183745

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
just texted forgetful CT friend & they already voted for the convicted felon

lmao that state is hopeless

Patheticut

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wynona Dryder posted:

Patheticut

here's an article about joe ganim's many crimes

https://splinternews.com/will-connecticut-democrats-really-vote-for-this-extreme-1828330959

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
let's go the fukkin iron stasche

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1029473512782749698

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

DO IT RANDY MY BOY

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

DONT LET ME DOWN RANDY U PIECE OF poo poo
I LOVE U RANDY

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
How competitive is the MN-5 House primary?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wynona Dryder posted:

Patheticut

We really should kick it out of New England.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Barry Convex posted:

How competitive is the MN-5 House primary?

I dont believe theres been a single poll but going off of lawn signs in minneapolis Ilhan has a good shot

which is good because she owns

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

When do we find out results

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
It's going to be interesting to see if Keith Ellison wins, since the allegations have kind of blown over for now and no one else has any name recognition.

Either way Omar and Murphy are going to win and I will not have nightmares like I did after 2016 please god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
In CT and i voted this morning, binches. Did not vote for that fuckin' crook, Ganim. He was literally in prison for 7 years and now is the mayor of Bridgeport or whatever. Jesus christ.

Also voted for something something Zimmerman, as we could use another woman of color in office. The treasurer and the attorney general vote I just guessed cuz i hadn't heard of any of them. :shrug: Thanks for reading!

• Locked thread