Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just found out there's going to be a Tales of Vesperia PS4 remaster and I'm so loving psyched. It's not releasing until later this year, but goddamn, I'm all over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really wanted to like Psychonauts but I played it through Gametap when that still existed and between the lovely platforming, endless bugs (I got to play through Black Velvetopia with no sound and it auto-skipping all the dialogue), and Meat Circus I hated everything about it by the time I gave up. I got to do a platforming section with the camera facing into the wall the whole time at one point.

I liked the art style though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RBA Starblade posted:

I really wanted to like Psychonauts but I played it through Gametap when that still existed and between the lovely platforming, endless bugs (I got to play through Black Velvetopia with no sound and it auto-skipping all the dialogue), and Meat Circus I hated everything about it by the time I gave up. I got to do a platforming section with the camera facing into the wall the whole time at one point.

Pick up the PC version on steam, it got patched in a lot of ways including fixing up the entire endgame to make it much easier to get through.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally my favorite thing about him is that when you hit him in the real world he just goes "hmmmm yes, ouch" in that same monotone he always has. Or maybe that the hideous thing you just had to destroy was a tacky lamp.

Look at the slides of his childhood memories again

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
If you've played Psychonauts and you haven't seen the fake social media site they created for it, check it out. Make sure to check out the pictures each camper 'uploaded', as well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Absolutely bulling Rhombus of Ruin is a VR game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Watch Daisy turn out to be playable in the DLC

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd be totally down for a murderous cyberhellbunny, seriously.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I replayed Tomb Raider 2013 over the weekend and one little thing I liked is how the main theme that plays at the end of every major sequence gradually incorporates more instruments until the climax swells with this dramatic orchestral sweep.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

flatluigi posted:

Pick up the PC version on steam, it got patched in a lot of ways including fixing up the entire endgame to make it much easier to get through.

Next time it's on sale I might, I've always wondered just how much of that was because Gametap sucked.

I also played Sam and Max S1E4 on there and it convinced me to buy the whole thing so there's that. :toot:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Monster Hunter: World is like a game of Little Things that massively improve the feel of the game.

1) ITem box at camp so you can restock or empty your inventory during a quest.
2) Kitchen at-camp in case you forget to eat for your all-important food buffs.
3) Quest-giver at camp so you can chain quests.
4) Quick-travel to camp if you're not in a fight.
5) Infinite whetstones.
6) You can move while drinking a potion.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

Psychonauts is a game where everything about it is great except for the actual gameplay, sadly. Which, along with their inability to actually complete a game, is a running theme with Double Fine games in general; even Broken Age was at it's worst when it tried to do actual puzzles in the back half.

I really wish Double Fine would just become like an art/writing studio for other people's games.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Neito posted:

Monster Hunter: World is like a game of Little Things that massively improve the feel of the game.

5) Infinite whetstones.

Some of those are lost on people that came in on this game andhaven't "had the full MonHun experience", but man you're not wrong. I wasn't aware of the cook at the camp, that's super good.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Coming from Freedom Unite and "the claw", World is like comforting aftercare after a tough BDSM session.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Warbird posted:

Some of those are lost on people that came in on this game andhaven't "had the full MonHun experience", but man you're not wrong. I wasn't aware of the cook at the camp, that's super good.

I can't fathom playing an older Monster Hunter, coming from World being my first.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to think of something to contribute from the Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin VR game. It's very short (probably under 2 hours if you don't get stuck on something) but up to the standards of the first game. Aside from the James Bond rip intro sequence and the alien replicator that can produce Eddie's jacket from Brutal Legend, the funniest bit to me wasn't actually in the game- it's from the promo website, which says the Rhombus of Ruin is "as deadly as two Bermuda Triangles back to back!"

...which is exactly what it is. Because that's the shape of a rhombus.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Guy Mann posted:

Psychonauts is a game where everything about it is great except for the actual gameplay, sadly. Which, along with their inability to actually complete a game, is a running theme with Double Fine games in general; even Broken Age was at it's worst when it tried to do actual puzzles in the back half.

I really wish Double Fine would just become like an art/writing studio for other people's games.

I actually thought Psychonauts was a pretty solid-to-decent platformer up until the Meat Circus, which caused extreme rage in me. Even then it only took a few tries in one sitting to nail it. It's like Zelda, it's all-ages but it's designed to be accessible to kids so it's not that hard.

But yeah they've poo poo the bed forever after, and I really wished they'd do more work with Scott C, the guy who designed all the Pyschonauts characters:

https://www.scottc.com/story/#/psychonauts-1/

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I called it a day at the Meat Circus and never touched the game again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't fathom playing an older Monster Hunter, coming from World being my first.

You know how some people get their jollies from having their balls stepped on? That but giant lizards and the worst camera controls ever devised.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

ffs you have dedicated stick for a camera. I had to buy an accessory for my 3DS to get the world's worst joystick nub or use a literal mouse nipple thingy on the 3DSi or whatever. Don't even get me started on using the touchpad for camera controls. We're talking Kid Icharus level stuff here.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, all that talk about Psychonauts and no mention of the fact there's a sequel in active development (if there was then sorry!)? Its original release date (third quarter of this year) was delayed, but they are working on it as far as I know, and I figure it's too big a name for them to pull a DF-9.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Tales of Berseria has wonderful costume attachments you can slap on your characters, and I'm loving it. I just got a pirate guy, and with his slicked back hairstyle and the sunglasses, I have a magic using Wesker on my team.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I called it a day at the Meat Circus and never touched the game again.

That was the last level and...Yeah that wasn't all that fun to play. The last boss was also pretty anticlimactic in how easy it was. I think that's why some people don't remember it well. The ending was a fart. I enjoyed the rest of the game but boy howdy was the meat circus a good idea with a shorty implementation.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It's like night and day. You had to legit hunt down the monsters, hit them with paintballs (which you can only carry a (large but) limited amount of) to track them, there was no lockon, no NPC companion, 40+ second load times between zones, whetstones were one-time-use items that you could only carry a limited number of, using potions/drinks left you vulnerable, and that's not even counting the wall of Sensei (aka Kuropeco), the first vaguely tough monster in the game.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I got a physical copy of the original in the UK back in 2005. If I remember it barely made it to any shelves in the UK, but I got the (only) copy from a little independent games store that imported lots of their stuff from the USA to get it earlier.

Still one of my favourite games. Milkman level is probably one of the best levels in gaming, and it was pretty mind-blowing back then. I also never completed it. I got to the Meat Circus and couldn't do it and eventually gave up. I was a pretty dogged at games back then so that says a lot.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

It's like night and day. You had to legit hunt down the monsters, hit them with paintballs (which you can only carry a (large but) limited amount of) to track them, there was no lockon, no NPC companion, 40+ second load times between zones, whetstones were one-time-use items that you could only carry a limited number of, using potions/drinks left you vulnerable, and that's not even counting the wall of Sensei (aka Kuropeco), the first vaguely tough monster in the game.

What game did you play with 40 second load times? I often used to dodge into a loading screen to get myself a small 5 second break to get my bearings under monster duress, but 40 seconds seems ludicrous.

And the downside to potions while walking is that the animation is sloooooow. I love cancelling half my potion becasue i had to dodge away, whereas in the older games, you chugged the potion, got health instantly, and flexed for a second. If the monster hit you in that time, you at least already got the health boost and didn't waste the potion, and all in all the animation was over way faster.
Takes for-loving-ever to chug a simple antidote in MHW and you don't even get the partial benefit if you have to cancel it mid-way like with health potions

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It really is knowing where to chug.
Sometimes right under a monsters belly after an attack is the best place.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

HenryEx posted:

What game did you play with 40 second load times? I often used to dodge into a loading screen to get myself a small 5 second break to get my bearings under monster duress, but 40 seconds seems ludicrous.

Maybe time is just exagerating my memory. I just remember the MHFU load times being obnoxious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neito posted:

5) Infinite whetstones.

I dunno, praising Monster Hunter for adding these is like having a party for a 30 year old man not making GBS threads his pants. Like, it’s great that it’s there but that kind of thing should be (and by and large has been for years) the standard.

I enjoy MHW now that it’s clicking for me, but good lord is that a backwards-rear end series in a lot of ways.

My favorite little thing in that game is the special ammo option for the heavy bowgun that turns it into a goddamn heavy machine gun. So satisfying.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

HenryEx posted:

And the downside to potions while walking is that the animation is sloooooow. I love cancelling half my potion becasue i had to dodge away, whereas in the older games, you chugged the potion, got health instantly, and flexed for a second. If the monster hit you in that time, you at least already got the health boost and didn't waste the potion, and all in all the animation was over way faster.
Takes for-loving-ever to chug a simple antidote in MHW and you don't even get the partial benefit if you have to cancel it mid-way like with health potions

Prey has around 20 seconds, maybe more, loading times between sections on the Ps4. I'd check my twitter any time I had to transition between areas.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Somersaulting through the air and bringing a giant hammer down on the head of a dragon is one of the best feelings ever.

Say what you will about Monster Hunter, but once you get the hang of it few games make you feel more bad rear end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

Somersaulting through the air and bringing a giant hammer down on the head of a dragon is one of the best feelings ever.

Say what you will about Monster Hunter, but once you get the hang of it few games make you feel more bad rear end.

I killed a dragon by tricking him into breaking a dam. The water pushed him off the mountain we were fighting on and I jumped after with the falling strike. And then he died before my next combo finished

Edit: Turf wars. Just every single one is fantastic.

Double edit: the guy with flash bang eyes. He has so much fun just running up when you're fighting something else, flash banging everything, and walking away.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Playing Mad Max, I couldn't stop laughing when I attacked a camp in the middle of a storm and spotted the War Crier spinning madly in the wind. I

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

Playing Mad Max, I couldn't stop laughing when I attacked a camp in the middle of a storm and spotted the War Crier spinning madly in the wind. I

Try killing everyone in an arena except the war crier, it’s hilarious.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I'm playing Cosmic Star Heroine which just came out on Switch (it's been out for a while on Steam) and I'm blown away by how well they thought the combat mechanics through. It feels like turn-based Chrono Trigger, but:
- most of your skills are only usable once until you spend a turn to defend and recharge. Every character is quite diverse between damage, healing and support, but you need to think about which attacks and heals to use when.
- your characters hit Hyper Mode every couple of turns. The UI makes it very easy to tell when it will happen, and it's important, because it causes your action for the turn to have a double effect. Timing damage buffs so they line up for your Big Turn when you use a finisher feels great.
- status effects are not random. Enemies and allies have a set amount of ailment resistance that works like hit points, and usually you can get through it in one of two infliction attempts. Some enemies are immune to statuses (mostly stuff like robots being immune to poison) but it's always pretty clear. It also works with the Hyper Mode mechanic, because a hyperboosted ailment will almost certainly hit or at least chew through the bulk of the resistance so the next attack will finish the job.

The game's not that hard, but it does reward reading all your attack tooltips and thinking how they fit into your general strategy. It's tone is also refreshingly bubbly and fun. It's just a bunch of tiny things that add up. :3:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Do boardgames count? I just got my Darkroot Basin expansion for the Dark Souls game and it comes with cards in 5 different languages. It's just a neat little thing that will never be useful for me but hey why not.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

As I mentioned in the complaining about video games, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has a lot of problems but I like the efforts that it has made to link itself to OG Deus Ex. Getting to see Bobby P:age and Joseph Manderly in all their baby faced glory is pretty cool.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Aithon posted:

- status effects are not random. Enemies and allies have a set amount of ailment resistance that works like hit points, and usually you can get through it in one of two infliction attempts.

You know how sometimes you read about a feature in a game and think "that's such a better way of doing it, everything should do it this way from now on"? This is one of those times for me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

biosterous posted:

You know how sometimes you read about a feature in a game and think "that's such a better way of doing it, everything should do it this way from now on"? This is one of those times for me.

This is how Dark Souls does it. Wish all games with status ailments that aren't automatic did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

This is how Dark Souls does it. Wish all games with status ailments that aren't automatic did it.

Fallout 4's crit button is the one good thing I can say about it. I really wish more games would reduce the amount of RNG that can potentially determine whether or not you win or lose an encounter.