Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wish Dixon could achieve the status of the platonic journeyman solid writer instead of real life human shitstain. Either that or he should have retired after the 90's ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Numero6 posted:

Reminder, he did this comic:

what the actual gently caress

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The first year of the Ultraverse was almost universally loved. I remember some of them being quite hard to find because a lot of speculators thought they might get hot like certain Image and Valiant comics. Prime was referred to as "Captain Marvel done right" by a few reviewers.

I wonder what Mantra would be like today. 'Guy wakes up in woman's body.'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder what Mantra would be like today. 'Guy wakes up in woman's body.'

Ugh. It was pretty bad from what I remember, I doubt the concept would work well today.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Reading most of the old Ultraverse stuff from the perspective of someone who wasn't around to experience it at the time, it comes off as like...extremely "bog standard sci-fi writer plays with outre concepts in a superhero universe". Like apart from the intensely unsettling pedophile subtext Prime is loaded with, the gender swap stuff in Mantra comes off very much like a retro sci-fi writer trying to write about gender politics from the viewpoint of an extremely straight man. Like Lukasz/Mantra is constantly like, "this female body is so weak! But at least I can use my feminine wiles to charm men!".

Also it's pretty pervy and Mantra/Lukasz is constantly winding up in these BDSM-esque scenarios where he's being captured by slavers in not-Gor, or the villain is trying to rape him. To some extent I think that this is trying to do a "how the other half lives" story where a macho guy is forced to contend with sexism, but it's also gigantically fetishy to a level that quickly becomes unignorable. There's a fair amount of dialogue to the effect of, "wow, I have tits, how crazy, I keep thinking about my tits and high heels and bra, and these magical outfits I keep finding myself dressed up in are so revealing! Oops! How embarrassing for me!".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, at least Firearm was good?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Numero6 posted:

LOL

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

AnonSpore posted:

what the actual gently caress

Yeah. Miller's been a running gag/edit target in the D&D political cartoons thread for years because of that. That's not even the worst one.

Edge & Christian posted:

This is hardly Chuck Dixon's really dismaying, "no need to bother searching for dog whistles in an old Punisher or Robin comic to prove he's a chud" comic project.

I knew he was all in on the alt-right before now, but the fact that he appears to be involved in all of these projects, regardless of the flimsiness of the stated book, is vaguely unsettling. It's like that D&C guy has his phylactery, so now Dixon has to lend his name to whatever fever dream shows up on a crowdfunding site.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Numero6 posted:

I love the speed lines as he whips out the Yugioh cards for his unassailable logic attack. They also forgot the next panel where everyone reminds him that, yes, he is a retard because he's trying to dispute evolution by talking about Yugioh cards.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

joehonkie posted:

I love the speed lines as he whips out the Yugioh cards for his unassailable logic attack. They also forgot the next panel where everyone reminds him that, yes, he is a retard because he's trying to dispute evolution by talking about Yugioh cards.

This comic reminds me of that Bill Nye Ken Ham debates about creationism where Ken just kept making these ridiculous assumptions and then using those assumptions to come to "logical" conclusions to support his argument. Then the camera goes to Bill Nye and you could see he was just slowly dying inside.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 16, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The first year of the Ultraverse was almost universally loved. I remember some of them being quite hard to find because a lot of speculators thought they might get hot like certain Image and Valiant comics. Prime was referred to as "Captain Marvel done right" by a few reviewers.

Alan Moore had a strong run on it, right? That probably helped.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the only thing surprising about the Dixon thing is that anyone's surprised

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Numero6 posted:

I... I don't get what point he's trying to spin here. Creationists always manage to look like they ran in and out of a library screaming GODDIDIT so the devil wouldn't make them too smart.

Is he arguing that fossils of the same species are mold-perfect copies because Satan has a machine that makes them?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here's the follow-up cartoon

And the very I'M NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS BUT COME ON, OBAMA'S GONNA GET SHOT IN THE FACE :heh: cartoon

The above came hot on the heels of weeks of OBAMA THE RACIST AMERICA-DAMNING WEATHER UNDERGROUND TERRORIST MARXIST ABORTION LOVING FASCIST TOTALITARIAN ANTI-AMERICAN KENYAN USURPER OVERLORD HERE TO DESTROY ALL THAT IS GOOD AND AMERICAN AND WHITE cartoons, and he was shocked anyone took this an an anti-Obama cartoon and not as his sincere concern that America isn't ready for a President of Color perhaps it's you all who are the racists, something to think about...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Alan Moore had a strong run on it, right? That probably helped.
He never touched any Ultraverse books IIRC. He had a good run WildCATS and a great run on Supreme during the 1990s, but no Ultraverse.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Edge & Christian posted:

Here's the follow-up cartoon

You see, I am calm and collected while my strawman antagonist is angry and losing his cool because he cannot debate my rock-solid unshakable logic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am the historian that only trusts a single unverified source for everything.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

am the historian that only trusts a single unverified source for everything.
Ummmm many cultures have records of a flood!

Which means all of those cultures were entirely wiped out and killed by the Biblical Flood.

Which means Noah was real, and he made fossils.

Wrap it up, historailures.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I am the historian that only trusts a single unverified source for everything.

It's odd to see cartoons from opposite day.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Out of context, "there's a good chance that the Great Flood has its roots in a real life ancient, given similar legends from cultures around the globe" is actually pretty solid. But yeah, that logical conclusion wouldn't be "the bible's version of the events are right".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

Reading most of the old Ultraverse stuff from the perspective of someone who wasn't around to experience it at the time, it comes off as like...extremely "bog standard sci-fi writer plays with outre concepts in a superhero universe". Like apart from the intensely unsettling pedophile subtext Prime is loaded with, the gender swap stuff in Mantra comes off very much like a retro sci-fi writer trying to write about gender politics from the viewpoint of an extremely straight man. Like Lukasz/Mantra is constantly like, "this female body is so weak! But at least I can use my feminine wiles to charm men!".

Also it's pretty pervy and Mantra/Lukasz is constantly winding up in these BDSM-esque scenarios where he's being captured by slavers in not-Gor, or the villain is trying to rape him. To some extent I think that this is trying to do a "how the other half lives" story where a macho guy is forced to contend with sexism, but it's also gigantically fetishy to a level that quickly becomes unignorable. There's a fair amount of dialogue to the effect of, "wow, I have tits, how crazy, I keep thinking about my tits and high heels and bra, and these magical outfits I keep finding myself dressed up in are so revealing! Oops! How embarrassing for me!".

Yeah, I had a go at looking up some old panels. One of the first things Lukasz does is spitefully wish Warstrike had a woman's body that was weak and soft. And then he starts to get off a little on just how soft. It's kind of like one of those terrible gender-bending webcomics.

Huh. Written by Mike Barr. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I... I don't get what point he's trying to spin here. Creationists always manage to look like they ran in and out of a library screaming GODDIDIT so the devil wouldn't make them too smart.

Is he arguing that fossils of the same species are mold-perfect copies because Satan has a machine that makes them?
So, the fossil record argument is that we have large numbers of a finite number of species and that intermediary species are often missing, and like to back this up with a quote from Darwin himself. The problem there is that Darwin was, of course, lacking the much larger record that exists now, and ignores that we have record of plenty of "transitional" species, as well as that defining a separate species can be fuzzy in itself. It's largely that we have a handful of very large fossil finds because the conditions to actually fossilize an animal are relatively unlikely. Creationists also like to dangle out facts that once in awhile evolution researchers make mistakes (see the coelacanth) as evidence that obviously evolution is all just made up!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

davidspackage posted:

So he's referring to an actual thing. The fossil record tends to cluster around discrete species rather than providing a smooth gradation between transitional forms. In is example. You are much more likely to find another copy of the Allosaurus Yu-gi-oh card than one of it's descendants like a Fukuiraptor. And we haven't found on of the transitions between the two at all.

Now obviously this isn't because evolution is a lie, and the Flood killed all the dinosaurs. It's because A) the process of fossilization is not random you need to die and get buried in mud such that your bones get replaced by minerals in the water over a long period of time) and B) evolution is not a smooth process, but proceeds in fits and starts due to changing environmental conditions/competition from other new species.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I realized last night that that isn't even how TCGs work and that made me angrier than the casual use of retard

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That comic is terrible but who the gently caress cares what Mike Miller thinks. Guy has 1800 twitter followers and I'm betting his comics get more play when people make fun of them than when people buy into them. Even the Nazis don't care what Mike Miller thinks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Has DC finally booted Mike Miller? I noticed I haven't had the displeasure of seeing his name on Injustice in a few months.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Has DC finally booted Mike Miller? I noticed I haven't had the displeasure of seeing his name on Injustice in a few months.

I don't know if he's been blacklisted, but April was his last time on Injustice 2 as far as I can tell.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jordan7hm posted:

That comic is terrible but who the gently caress cares what Mike Miller thinks. Guy has 1800 twitter followers and I'm betting his comics get more play when people make fun of them than when people buy into them. Even the Nazis don't care what Mike Miller thinks.

He's funny as poo poo

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Calling this a non sequitur would be an insult to non sequiturs.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know if he's been blacklisted, but April was his last time on Injustice 2 as far as I can tell.

What did he do for Injustice 2?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Patrick Spens posted:

What did he do for Injustice 2?

Penciled some issues.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dawgstar posted:

Penciled some issues.

With those "mad" art skills and "superior logic", I'm shocked he didn't do the whole book. (Sarcasm)

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Adrienne Resha has written about the J. Scott Campbell Experience: https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2018/08/about-those-j-scott-campbell-x-men-black-covers-social-media-discourse-in-the-blue-age-of-comics/

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Is she getting upset with sexy/unrealistic women on magazine covers designed to sell to women?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

That’s absolutely not what the piece was written about.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wonder what J. Scott Campbell has taken from all this.

https://twitter.com/JScottCampbell/status/1029499096623710210

Aha. I see. Hmm. Well.

What a poo poo head.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The only silver lining to that is his response in the comments where people are like "awesome now vote Trump and join Comicsgate!" and as badly as he's handled the rest, Campbell at least goes "nah" to that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

The only silver lining to that is his response in the comments where people are like "awesome now vote Trump and join Comicsgate!" and as badly as he's handled the rest, Campbell at least goes "nah" to that.

A sliver of hope for the future, at least.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Edge & Christian posted:

People can be gently caress ups on things without being totally irredeemable. True story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Out of context, "there's a good chance that the Great Flood has its roots in a real life ancient, given similar legends from cultures around the globe" is actually pretty solid. But yeah, that logical conclusion wouldn't be "the bible's version of the events are right".

If they did not start with that... bold assumption, there would be hellfire involved, and no one wants that.

• Locked thread