Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh hey I was looking for that

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
10mm?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Those vice grip pliers being used to pull the wrench out are my #1 go-to and by far the most used tool in my kit.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Customer: "Hey you can put a plug in that, right? That tire only has a couple hundred miles on it."

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The indie shop I buy tires from has a fishbowl full of poo poo they've pulled out of tires on the counter beside the till. The usual nails, bolts, and such, but also a foot of 5/16" allthread, a pair of pliers, a deer antler, and other weird poo poo. No 10mm wrenches, though. Probably because the mechanics (they do general repair and tires) keep them to replace their lost ones.

Otoh, I may have converted to Discount Tire -- I got something stuck in the tire of my current car a week after I bought it from my aunt for the price of the fairly-new tires she got there, and since they have a road hazard warranty, I figured I may as well abuse it instead of paying $10 for the indie shop to patch it. I told them my aunt's name, and they did it for free.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Why not just post the video from /r/justrolledintotheshop?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Cause watching the video felt like a waste of time and bandwidth.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Don't sign your posts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Chillbro Baggins posted:

The indie shop I buy tires from has a fishbowl full of poo poo they've pulled out of tires on the counter beside the till. The usual nails, bolts, and such, but also a foot of 5/16" allthread, a pair of pliers, a deer antler, and other weird poo poo. No 10mm wrenches, though. Probably because the mechanics (they do general repair and tires) keep them to replace their lost ones.

Otoh, I may have converted to Discount Tire -- I got something stuck in the tire of my current car a week after I bought it from my aunt for the price of the fairly-new tires she got there, and since they have a road hazard warranty, I figured I may as well abuse it instead of paying $10 for the indie shop to patch it. I told them my aunt's name, and they did it for free.

FYI, Discount will fix any flat for free, even if you didn't get the tire from them. They'll usually try to discourage you a bit if you didn't get it there, but they do have a policy of repairing flats for anybody, no charge, so long as the tire isn't damaged from bring driven on low, and the typical rules for repairing a flat that every tire shop follows.

They did me a big solid a few weeks ago - went in with an unrepairable flat. They prorated the tire, even though the tires came with the car, based on the tread depth. It's a tire that they carry (and, I suspect, possibly exclusive to them?). Saved me about $40. Also let me add road hazard to the now 1 remaining tire that came with the car - possibly a wasted :10bux:, but their road hazard normally pays for itself with at least 1 new tire out of every set I buy. I've been going to them for about 20 years now; every time I go elsewhere, I regret it in one way or another.

I hate the company itself because of their CEO and their political leanings, but they're a pretty textbook example of how to do customer service right.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I would always repair a flat for free at the dealership I worked at in the early 2000s. It was basically always a nail or a screw or something, and as long as you satisfied the rules for being fixable it was 6 minutes of my time and a handshake and they went away with a super positive experience.

Also, when I was running the service department on a Saturday morning, it was a great way to get them to drop back in after lunch time (just before close) with a case of beer or a bottle of scotch or something to fuel my Saturday night. One time an older lady brought me a case of Wild Turkey premix cans, she was welcome any time to get a tire fixed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

I hate the company itself because of their CEO and their political leanings, but they're a pretty textbook example of how to do customer service right.

Well the CEO died, hopefully they'll leave the lovely Arizona politics with him.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

STR posted:

the typical rules for repairing a flat that every tire shop follows.

Lol.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

eddiewalker posted:

At least get a better frame then.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Schwab has never verified my purchase before fixing a puncture that I'm aware of. They do pull up my account and see I've bought a bunch of tires from them, but it's not like they verify the exact tire I drag in is on the list of purchases.

I mean maybe they do and I don't see it, but I get the distinct idea the guys doing the patching don't care because it would double the amount of time they spend on my tire, and they have poo poo to do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

badday.jpg

Also, you can see how bad the smoke is here.

Also love the whole "hands on hips 'what the gently caress is all this poo poo'" pose

Don't worry though, it has since been towed outside of the enviroment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Into another environment?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Also love the whole "hands on hips 'what the gently caress is all this poo poo'" pose

*wheel falls off*

"better check under the hood, that's where things get fixed, right?"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

*wheel falls off*

yeah lemme see if i can fix this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hmm, looks like I'm all out of... carburetor.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Into another environment?
:v:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Memento posted:

*wheel falls off*

"Stay in the car, hon, I'll go out and <flips sunglasses down> take a look."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fine, the rules every nationwide chain shop claim they're supposed to follow. Better? :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Memento posted:

*wheel falls off*

That's exactly what I was thinking. Dude, you're problem isn't under the hood - it's currently in front of it, previously behind the steering wheel.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Darchangel posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Dude, you're problem isn't under the hood - it's currently in front of it, previously behind the steering wheel.

OTOH, a hood up is a good "this vehicle is broken down and isn't going anywhere soon" signal. (But doesn't explain staring into the engine bay)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

joat mon posted:

(But doesn't explain staring into the engine bay)

It's a reasonable cover while you facepalm and thing "gently caress, what now?"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

joat mon posted:

OTOH, a hood up is a good "this vehicle is broken down and isn't going anywhere soon" signal. (But doesn't explain staring into the engine bay)

Hood up is req'd by law in Alberta, at least it was when I got my learners a couple decades ago.

And if the hood's up, it's a good place to call for help while avoiding everyone's evil looks as they pass you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Step 1: Open the hood
Step 2: put your hands on your hips as if you're carefully analyzing what's under there
Step 3: lean engine the engine bay, putting your face in any crevice you can fit it
Step 4: cry, a lot.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

Step 2: put your hands on your hips as if you're carefully analyzing what's under there
Step 3: lean engine the engine bay, putting your face in any crevice you can fit it
Step 4: cry, a lot.

That's what I did when my clutch's slave cylinder died in traffic. I also genuinely considered turning my engine off every time I would need to shift

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Put it in first, starter motor, switched to second when things cough-over rinse and repeat to autozone.

E: *requires a cable-clutch subaru

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Darchangel posted:

Why not take the opportunity to fix those little nagging issues? Wheel falls off? Might as well replace the plugs and fluid if you’ve got time on the hard shoulder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

AND PULL YOUR KNEES IN TIIIIIIIGHT

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

The Door Frame posted:

That's what I did when my clutch's slave cylinder died in traffic. I also genuinely considered turning my engine off every time I would need to shift

Why turn it off? Just float 'em, you only need the clutch to get moving.

Also I had the clutch cable break in my subaru in rush hour traffic driving through Hardford on i84. Since I had another 6 hours to go I robbed the cables off my mountain bike, wrapped them up into something a bit stronger than a bike cable, and made a new clutch cable. I didn't think the starter would last the rest of the drive abusing it like that...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Back in the 90s I was with a mate in a suzuki carry van when the clutch failed. He just tried to blip the throttle and rev match when changing gears. Having to come to a full stop sucked though - just stall it and then put it into first and use the starter to get going again.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

you don't need a grinder for aluminum anyway because it's so soft. a disc sander will do just fine

yeah you literally use a scotch-brite disc for surface profiling and fine shaping and what's essentially a disc made of tougher sandpaper for more rough shaping, on a normal angle grinder with a backing wheel

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Fo3 posted:

Back in the 90s I was with a mate in a suzuki carry van when the clutch failed. He just tried to blip the throttle and rev match when changing gears. Having to come to a full stop sucked though - just stall it and then put it into first and use the starter to get going again.

I did this a lot.

In my first car - it was missing the front motor mount, and most of the engine-to-transmission bolts were gone or sheared off. The engine and transmission were just kinda leaning together. One day it was just too much and the clutch pushrod bent itself.

I drove it another 150 miles after that. Used the starter to get going at lights and then floating all other shifting. I drove it from Denver to Colorado Springs and then up 24 past woodland park.

To this day I'll still float shifts in any manual car I'm driving. It's really easy- my clutches last forever!

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

sandoz posted:

yeah you literally use a scotch-brite disc for surface profiling and fine shaping and what's essentially a disc made of tougher sandpaper for more rough shaping, on a normal angle grinder with a backing wheel

also this is why i cringe whenever I see the Project Binky guys working with aluminum lol

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

0toShifty posted:

I did this a lot.

In my first car - it was missing the front motor mount, and most of the engine-to-transmission bolts were gone or sheared off. The engine and transmission were just kinda leaning together. One day it was just too much and the clutch pushrod bent itself.

I drove it another 150 miles after that. Used the starter to get going at lights and then floating all other shifting. I drove it from Denver to Colorado Springs and then up 24 past woodland park.

To this day I'll still float shifts in any manual car I'm driving. It's really easy- my clutches last forever!

The Evo X used a plastic master cylinder for the clutch. I was at a track with a guy with a heavily modified one when it popped. Drove home no problem starting at each top light.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 17, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wanted to say something about crankwalk, but the Evo X isn't a 4g63 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

The Evo X used a plastic master cylinder for the clutch. I was at a track with a guy with a heavily modified one when it popped. Drove home no problem starting at each top light.

Lots of cars do.

Dannywilson posted:

Put it in first, starter motor, switched to second when things cough

chrisgt posted:

Why turn it off? Just float 'em, you only need the clutch to get moving.

This is what I did when I broke the clutch pedal (.... plastic pedal, WTF GM). Used the starter to get it moving, then shifted without the clutch.

I did this for several days. That starter was a drat trooper.