Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The two levels i dont like in pd are the big sunken alien ship and the final level

But out of like 17 levels, not liking only two is pretty good id say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Villa stage freaking blew my mind as a 15 year old in 2000. You could zoom in with your sniper rifle and see the entire level, no typical N64 fog layer (at like 15fps but still)!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Another fun fact: this was thankfully fixed for the rerelease on XBLA. I was thrilled, because goddamn :psyduck:

Also, ducking again while already ducking causes your screen to go black (in multiplayer). Why? To prevent screen looking.

I never knew about that, neat.

I wonder if we'll ever see a PC emulation or remaster of the XBLA remake?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

It would've happened by now if it were happening at all.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't see any reason why it couldn't happen so it's most definitely not going to happen, not when there's exclusivity that could still sell Xbones. Short of Rare suddenly going under and Night Dive managing to wrestle the rights out from under Microsoft's rear end, I don't see it happening.

exquisite tea posted:

The Villa stage freaking blew my mind as a 15 year old in 2000. You could zoom in with your sniper rifle and see the entire level, no typical N64 fog layer (at like 15fps but still)!!

That's the one that changes your starting point based on difficulty too, isn't it? Like on lower difficulties you start up in the cliffs and have to snipe some bad guys to save a hostage negotiator, but then on Perfect Agent you're the hostage negotiator and you surprise them with a laptop gun.

Even having first watched a playthrough of that stage more than ten years after the game came out, the amount of obvious effort put into everything about Perfect Dark blew my mind, especially in context with more modern shooters that cut so many corners they couldn't even be bothered to model or texture the right side of any of the guns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah, a couple stages change considerably in Perfect Dark depending on the starting difficulty + objectives.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Perfect has so many little details like that, that modern games just refuse to incorporate out of...lack of imagination I guess? For example, you could shoot guns out of enemies hands. Also there was a coop mode where your friend could spawn as one of the enemies, with the same health, ammo, etc. hell, I’m trying to remember the last time I played an FPS where every weapon had a legit alt-function....Doom 2016 is the only one that comes to mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Even the gun reload animations in Perfect Dark have superb attention to detail. That SMG where you slide the clip through like a card reader, amazing.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Looks like it runs fine through Xenia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDmK-FRaCE

exquisite tea posted:

Even the gun reload animations in Perfect Dark have superb attention to detail. That SMG where you slide the clip through like a card reader, amazing.

After playing so much Goldeneye, I was blown away by the reload animations. You can even see their finger pull the trigger :allears:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My buddy and I used to get drunk and try Perfect Dark botmatches against a team of max level Pacifist sims. The pacifist sims refuse to kill, or let anyone else kill for that matter. Their method of accomplishing this is to run around the map at superhuman speeds, picking up all the weapons. Should you manage to grab a weapon despite this they will attempt to close the distance and slap the goddamn gun right out of your hand, dealing no damage but causing your visual display to blur and warp.

We’d compete to kill as many as we could in the time limit while struggling against our own drunkenness and the fact that our screens were a blur of orange, yellow and slapping noises. Good times.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

Looks like it runs fine through Xenia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDmK-FRaCE

TIL that Xenia exists, neat!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Kadorhal posted:

especially in context with more modern shooters that cut so many corners they couldn't even be bothered to model or texture the right side of any of the guns.

Just to go on a rant real quick, this sort of poo poo is stuff that Valve does (did :( ) and it absolutely loving infuriates me. I love Half Life 2 and its episodes but in regards to weapon animations, feel, and sound? It's like they couldn't give less of a poo poo. There's missing faces on every weapon model that you can easily see if you turn with any urgency. You can see Gordon slip the same exact shotgun shell into the breach during the reload animation without trying. The pistol doesn't eject any brass, weapons are missing sound effects, it's a complete loving mess, and that's not even touching on whatever was going on with Team Fortress 2. To say that the weapon animations were lazy in that is the understatement of the decade.

I'm very passionate about the first person view models in shooters okay??

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Wild T posted:

My buddy and I used to get drunk and try Perfect Dark botmatches against a team of max level Pacifist sims. The pacifist sims refuse to kill, or let anyone else kill for that matter. Their method of accomplishing this is to run around the map at superhuman speeds, picking up all the weapons. Should you manage to grab a weapon despite this they will attempt to close the distance and slap the goddamn gun right out of your hand, dealing no damage but causing your visual display to blur and warp.

We’d compete to kill as many as we could in the time limit while struggling against our own drunkenness and the fact that our screens were a blur of orange, yellow and slapping noises. Good times.

I definitely have to try this. The variety of bots they give you is amazing.
I don't remember how I did it (couldn't figure out how to recreate it on XBLA), but back when I played it on the N64, I had a team of sims mimicking my every move. I'd have them pick up remote mines and we'd all throw them down and kill the framerate and everyone nearby with massive explosions

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wild T posted:

our screens were a blur of orange, yellow and slapping noises

:pisstape:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just to go on a rant real quick, this sort of poo poo is stuff that Valve does (did :( ) and it absolutely loving infuriates me. I love Half Life 2 and its episodes but in regards to weapon animations, feel, and sound? It's like they couldn't give less of a poo poo. There's missing faces on every weapon model that you can easily see if you turn with any urgency. You can see Gordon slip the same exact shotgun shell into the breach during the reload animation without trying. The pistol doesn't eject any brass, weapons are missing sound effects, it's a complete loving mess, and that's not even touching on whatever was going on with Team Fortress 2. To say that the weapon animations were lazy in that is the understatement of the decade.

I'm very passionate about the first person view models in shooters okay??

This is why this owns so much

https://youtu.be/pBbcRhDCbcM

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I already know I have strange opinions compared to the vast majority of people, but I actually preferred Goldeneye. Perfect Dark had way better production values and its multiplayer was better by default by virtue of including AI bots to fight when you have no IRL friends to play against (not being an afterthought that was shoved into the game unannounced at the last month of development also helps), but I didn't care for the volume of "get spotted and instantly fail the mission" objectives that you had as early as Chicago, even on the easiest difficulty settings, while Goldeneye tended to save those for higher difficulties (instead, getting spotted just spawned infinite enemies there, and you could generally fight through that no problem on Agent difficulty). I sorta already went into detail about that in an earlier post in here, though...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Obviously they're referring to KISS: Psycho Circus. Let us all contribute and each receive our hallowed copy of KISS: Psycho Circus.
Funnily enough, I bought myself a copy of that a few months ago. It's of that particular frustrating quality where it's so close to being excellent but a few obvious issues hold it back. For instance, we're talking issues like having infinite spawning enemies come out of an infinite-enemy-spawner that you have to kill to stem the tide (which in and of itself isn't a problem, but the spawner spawns enemies at roughly the same rate that your shotgun-equivalent fires at, so I end up wasting a lot of time shooting down the enemy it spawns instead of focusing on the spawner). Perhaps more urgently, those flying ball things whose attack is incredibly damaging and seemingly almost impossible to dodge if you have no cover to get behind, so naturally they're introduced in a battle with three of them covering different corners of a circular arena where your only cover is a single pillar in the center which only covers at most two of them at once. I'm also not fond of the fat lady enemies who throw their own body fat at you; the concept is sound enough, but the body fat blobs then become sentient and jump at you 3-4 times before finally dying of their own accord, are really difficult to shoot down promptly (especially if you're not using the machine-gun equivalent), and do obscene amounts of damage if they touch you (which is very likely to do given the difficulty in shooting them down - also given the rate at which the lady is ripping said blobs out of her gut, by the time you do shoot one down, there's already another to contend with).

Despite all that, it occasionally has some very striking set pieces - like the part in the purple guy's campaign where you wind up on an enlarged bookcase, at about the size of a mouse, or when you're fighting around a cathedral of sorts. The combat also feels strangely satisfying against enemies that aren't the two I mentioned prior (well, maybe not the clowns whose legs are a unicycle and who shoot fire at you, either, though they're not as annoying); it feels very Quake-like, which is kinda weird since it doesn't even have traditional guns to work with (whatever your Celestial's melee weapon is, then a whip, a machine gun equivalent, a shotgun equivalent, a rocket launcher equivalent that's kinda so-so, and then a Celestial-specific BFG-of-sorts). It sort of ends up being worth playing regardless, just with some rough edges that make you hate it while you love it. It's very strange.

I expect I'd get still more out of it if I had any familiarity with KISS beyond "yup, that is a band that exists, with the four guys wearing fancy face paint and Gene Simmons and stuff."

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 17, 2018

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

c0burn posted:

Titanfall 2 is just so good. I still tell all my friends they should play it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the Killzone ganes have their highs and lows but their weapon designs and animations are top notch

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

c0burn posted:

It's true and you should say it. Quality weapon animations are just wonderful. So much love and care was put into them and it shoooows. Honestly it's one of the reasons why I've never been a big fan of FPSs that have full body awareness (like where the whole body is modeled and the camera is mounted where the head would be). You just can't have quality weapon animations like that. The difference between Wolfenstein The New Order and The New Colossus is nuts. In TNC I can rarely tell what the gently caress BJ is doing with the hatchet, I just know a Nazi died, which, y'know, it's beautiful, but like where's the PIZZAZZ? Where's the OOMPH? Same with Duke Nukem Forever. The weapons felt weird and floaty because....they were.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

I already know I have strange opinions compared to the vast majority of people, but I actually preferred Goldeneye. Perfect Dark had way better production values and its multiplayer was better by default by virtue of including AI bots to fight when you have no IRL friends to play against (not being an afterthought that was shoved into the game unannounced at the last month of development also helps), but I didn't care for the volume of "get spotted and instantly fail the mission" objectives that you had as early as Chicago, even on the easiest difficulty settings, while Goldeneye tended to save those for higher difficulties (instead, getting spotted just spawned infinite enemies there, and you could generally fight through that no problem on Agent difficulty). I sorta already went into detail about that in an earlier post in here, though...

It's been a long time since I played Goldeneye but I remember it being worse about "get spotted and fail instantly". Perfect Dark has a bunch of levels where killing the wrong people will fail the mission -- generally, any noncombatants -- and a few where letting an alarm go off will be a fail (but you can stop that by killing enemies that see you before they can make it to the alarm), but the only ones I can think of that are outright "someone sees you doing the wrong thing -> mission failure" are Area 51: Rescue and Air Base: Espionage, when you're disguised as the lab tech or stewardess.

Chicago: Stealth does have that rear end in a top hat security robot, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sometimes you can fail the entire mission by throwing some critical device two inches to the left of where it should have gone instead of like you know, just nudging it a little ways.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I had that happen when I first started replaying the dam level in ge. The bug gets thrown in an arc and I was just at an inopportune spot and it landed just above where it needed to on the button and I failed the mission lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wrath of Cronos got an update at the end of last month and works again! Grab wrathofcronosr2d2.pk3 from here: https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=wrathofcronos&order=date_desc

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Shadow Hog posted:

but I didn't care for the volume of "get spotted and instantly fail the mission" objectives that you had as early as Chicago, even on the easiest difficulty settings
IIRC Chicago wasn't one of those missions. I think it only failed when someone set off an alarm or you killed a civilian. The fastest way to complete that misson is just to run out guns blazing before anyone can hit the alarm, which was in an easy to guard spot near the end of the level. Even having that patrolling sentry spot you was fine as long as you could run fast enough to not get hit
There were those few missions where you couldn't attack people while disguised though, and whenever the mission allowed you take the disguise off wasn't always straightforward.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finished Half-Life: Echoes. It starts a bit slow (you only have a crowbar for way longer than I would have liked) but really ramps up. The environments are top-notch, and set-pieces are pretty fun to watch take place. You can tell that he's really pushing the engine, because I was dropping frames while looking in certain directions on certain maps.

Some of the locations in the back half of the mod are really cool, and visually interesting. Overall, I liked it a lot!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Finished Half-Life: Echoes. It starts a bit slow (you only have a crowbar for way longer than I would have liked) but really ramps up. The environments are top-notch, and set-pieces are pretty fun to watch take place. You can tell that he's really pushing the engine, because I was dropping frames while looking in certain directions on certain maps.

Some of the locations in the back half of the mod are really cool, and visually interesting. Overall, I liked it a lot!

The intro scared me way more than I thought Half-Life was still capable of

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Fallom posted:

The intro scared me way more than I thought Half-Life was still capable of

That loving Mr. Friendly spooked me, especially when I'd be in the vents and hear it again.

The Bold Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 18, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Half-Life Echoes.

Needs more head crabs in inopportune locations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MariusLecter posted:

Half-Life Echoes.

Needs more head crabs in inopportune locations.

I've seen a few people say this on different forums, and the only location I can think of where I found the headcrabs annoying was in a room that was partially flooded (think ankle or shin deep) and that was because you couldn't see the headcrabs under the water. I thought that was kinda cheap.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've seen a few people say this on different forums, and the only location I can think of where I found the headcrabs annoying was in a room that was partially flooded (think ankle or shin deep) and that was because you couldn't see the headcrabs under the water. I thought that was kinda cheap.

haha drat I just played that part. I'm really enjoying the mod

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Wild T posted:

Same except with max level FistSims and the weapons set 50/50 good guns/tranquilizers. FistSims only use melee so if one got close enough you're either getting disarmed or one shot killed by the tranqulizer

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Booourns posted:

Same except with max level FistSims and the weapons set 50/50 good guns/tranquilizers. FistSims only use melee so if one got close enough you're either getting disarmed or one shot killed by the tranqulizer

Lethal Injection! I never thought of that. Throw in combat knives and you’ve got a real party.

:holymoley:

Wild T fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 18, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wild T posted:

Lethal Injection! I never thought of that. Throw in combat knives and you’ve got a real party.

FistSims, 50/50 mix of cloaking devices and tranquilizer guns. :getin:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have no particular reason to play Perfect Dark on 1964 with Rock Solid from Conker's Bad Fur Day's on repeat as the background music, and yet, here I am.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Perfect Dark rules, despite it having a JRPG name

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The actual meaning of the name is really dumb though. Like if she had a more normal name it would just be Perfect Johnson or something

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

The actual meaning of the name is really dumb though. Like if she had a more normal name it would just be Perfect Johnson or something

i didn't know they named a game after my cock

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i didn't know they named a game after my cock

He said perfect not festering

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Perfect Dark was heavily influences by Ghost in the Shell and other anime of the time, so the name was meant to evoke a goofy Japanese English title.

For the longest time, the actual Japanese title was Aka to Kuro (Red & Black), hence all the red/black imagery in the marketing, even after they decided to stick with Perfect Dark worldwide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Joanna looks different in the Japanese version too.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Perfect Dark rules, despite it having a JRPG name

No, this is a lame JRPG name:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 19, 2018