Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Well, Batman got $300 from my group, I’m sure we could swing $250 for Power Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, an episode that I edited while sleep deprived.

"1 2 3 4 Red" really got me, nice work.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Goldar and Rito steal a drat motorcycle.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I know they’re the absolute dumbest
But the shape zords are probably my favorite of the whole show

They’re so stupid and great

Also you all should give Wiz Liz some Patreon money

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Holy poo poo I remember when this episode first aired. My cable cut out right after the Jason reveal.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was at a friend's house and we were sure it would be Tommy's brother

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Can anyone help me figure out if this character exists/what Power Rangers series he appeared in?

I recall there being a Power Ranger that had long frizzy blond hair, and giant alien ears. Sound familiar?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

roffels posted:

Can anyone help me figure out if this character exists/what Power Rangers series he appeared in?

I recall there being a Power Ranger that had long frizzy blond hair, and giant alien ears. Sound familiar?

Okay so, this is a shot from the darkest corner of television history. Are you possibly talking about Radu from Space Cases?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You are perhaps thinking of Radu from Space Cases.

He was a coed/rival of a character played by Walter Jones.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

SpazmasterX posted:

Okay so, this is a shot from the darkest corner of television history. Are you possibly talking about Radu from Space Cases?

I'd bet money on that being it. Walter Jones was in it as well, which probably conflated the memories.

e:well, beaten, but that's what I get for trying to find a picture of the hosed up ear.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My guess was going to be one of the Alien Rangers.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh god, yep, that's it. How embarrassing! Thank you for solving the mystery.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

Its more or less a one-way tie-in. Hyper Force references shattered grid, but the comics don't really reference Hyper. Other than the rangers showing up in the art.

Okay I have to clarify this a little Now...at least two of the hyperforce rangers get lines in MMPR issue 30

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A bit late to the convo, but the only thing I really don't like about Lightspeed is Joel's attempts to woo Ms Fairweather is pretty creepy, in a modern context.

Like, sure, it's 50% "it was the nineties" and 50% "Joel is constantly clowned on for the attempt", but it's still pretty gross.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

A bit late to the convo, but the only thing I really don't like about Lightspeed is Joel's attempts to woo Ms Fairweather is pretty creepy, in a modern context.

Like, sure, it's 50% "it was the nineties" and 50% "Joel is constantly clowned on for the attempt", but it's still pretty gross.

Yeah...revisiting stuff like that in 2018 makes me feel a little bad. Not power rangers....but one of my other favorite franchises, Han straight up sexually assaults Leia in Empire Strikes Back. That plays SO much differently in 2018 than 1980.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm up to episode 8, and Joel technically has only actually asked her out once so far and took no for an explanation. The only really suspect thing so far was he had a drat framed photo of her in his bedroom. Creepy as hell!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

roffels posted:

Oh god, yep, that's it. How embarrassing! Thank you for solving the mystery.

In fairness, Space Cases was really fuckin rad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I'm up to episode 8, and Joel technically has only actually asked her out once so far and took no for an explanation. The only really suspect thing so far was he had a drat framed photo of her in his bedroom. Creepy as hell!

It's borderline creepy, but it's largely played as almost cartoonish iirc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it's very cartoonish. It's shorthand for kids to understand "oh he has a crush" if that was the first episode they watched

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

It's borderline creepy, but it's largely played as almost cartoonish iirc.

Yeah, it's one of those things where you know how the writers meant for the show (whose audiences are young and stupid) to be seen, in the 90s... but still, goddamnit, Joel.

You're a relatively C-list celebrity and a Power Ranger. You can move on pretty easily.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Yeah it's very cartoonish. It's shorthand for kids to understand "oh he has a crush" if that was the first episode they watched

And they make it really clear over the course of the season that his wooing of Ms. Fairweather is not unwelcome. I’m about 4 episodes from the end and there are several times where the interest is obviously mutual. This isn’t Jake/Gia.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

And they make it really clear over the course of the season that his wooing of Ms. Fairweather is not unwelcome. I’m about 4 episodes from the end and there are several times where the interest is obviously mutual. This isn’t Jake/Gia.

She seems receptive, but something Wacky keeps coming up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

Okay I have to clarify this a little Now...at least two of the hyperforce rangers get lines in MMPR issue 30

It's such a waste that Hyperforce Yellow gets a line but it isn't with Bulk. They should have both of them meet,

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been watching Hyperforce (I guess now because I don't need to) and I have to say Cristina Vee as Hyper Black was pretty impressive when she was turning against the team for reasons. Like, completely stone cold about it. I know she's an actor and all, but even the CR guys will break character a little.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Zordon chooses regicide.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

She seems receptive, but something Wacky keeps coming up.

I just finished the season (literally an hour and a half ago). She asks him out the second to last episode.

Side note, LSR is a fun season and I really dig its ending. The Aqua Base was too pure and good for this world.

Also is anyone else at PMC? If our Hasbros change anything about how PMC happens or works, I just want them to make poo poo more efficient and organized. The new digs are really, really nice though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Morby posted:

I just finished the season (literally an hour and a half ago). She asks him out the second to last episode.

Side note, LSR is a fun season and I really dig its ending. The Aqua Base was too pure and good for this world.

Also is anyone else at PMC? If our Hasbros change anything about how PMC happens or works, I just want them to make poo poo more efficient and organized. The new digs are really, really nice though.

You should watch GoGoV now that you've finished LSR

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

You should watch GoGoV now that you've finished LSR

I think you’re right. I’m at this weird place where I have watched more Power Rangers than Sentai at this point. I need to get back on that. I’m in the midst of Carranger and Shinkenger but I want to see GoBusters before Beast Morphers happens. I’ll definitely add GoGo V to the list.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will warn, GoGoV's Red is nowhere near as balls in as Carter.

Carter is just the best Red Ranger.

He's about the only one that tries to self sacrifice himself, what three times? without being self destructive

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Morby posted:

I think you’re right. I’m at this weird place where I have watched more Power Rangers than Sentai at this point. I need to get back on that. I’m in the midst of Carranger and Shinkenger but I want to see GoBusters before Beast Morphers happens. I’ll definitely add GoGo V to the list.

The show is currently available for streaming on ShoutFactoryTV along with every Sentai from Zyuranger through Gingaman. GoGoV is a pretty decent show in and of itself to be honest.

Burkion posted:

I will warn, GoGoV's Red is nowhere near as balls in as Carter.

Carter is just the best Red Ranger.

He's about the only one that tries to self sacrifice himself, what three times? without being self destructive

He's got his moments though (that one scene where the Red blows up a monster at point blank range is from GoGoV for example).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 17, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do keep meaning to ask what are the best Sentai seasons Shout! Factory has available. I'm looking at Timeranger and Jetman thus far.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I do keep meaning to ask what are the best Sentai seasons Shout! Factory has available. I'm looking at Timeranger and Jetman thus far.

I love the hell out of Zyuranger, personally.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Carranger and Megaranger are some of my favorite seasons. Kakuranger, GoGoV and Gingaman aren't bad choices either.

Dairanger is ok, the only things I liked about Zyuranger were the designs, the villains and two of the rangers (Goushi and Burai), Jetman has it's moments but it doesn't help that I hate all of the characters except Ako and Raita (though that robot guy from the villains camp was kind of cool too), and if you watched Power Rangers Wild Force you've basically seen Gaoranger already (minus all the Master Org stuff that is).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 18, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm randomly rewatching Akibaranger episode 11, and I just love the massive wrecking ball it decides to take to the doubled fourth wall.

This show would never, ever work here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm randomly rewatching Akibaranger episode 11, and I just love the massive wrecking ball it decides to take to the doubled fourth wall.

This show would never, ever work here.

I'm not entirely sure the show even could work here. Content aside there is very little usable morphed footage that doesn't feature an unmasked human actor at some point. It'd probably be easier to just to do a straight dub of the show rather than trying to give it the PR treatment. That said, I do hope Shout Factory decides to release it over here one day (you could probably fit both seasons onto a single DVD pack).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 18, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Convention exclusive variant covers let us get a look at how Drakkon has evolved over the event:

He’s got no more weapon at his side
The wavy pattern on whatever-creature-the-helmet-is now has spread to the crown of the head (this is probably a Jungle Fury reference, since their helmets do that)
The pointy object is developing a shape at the top
All the green is gone but he’s still got lots and lots of red.
As a zyu/dai helmet the shape around the visor supposed to be representative of whatever his zord would be. It’s now black with red eyes, a very large gold brow, and gold whiskers.

I mean at this point I’m more surprised if they do anything else.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 18, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Honestly I'm just impressed with how they made "Evil Tommy! ...again!" into a good storyline. I'm not big into comics but this one has made me track them all down.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm curious what the "cost" of using the Wizard of Deception was.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, I forgot about Louie Kaboom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/CNET/status/1030892242494517248?s=19