Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I know I've got pics of the original Psygnosis 348 somewhere, as well as some weird segment from a local German news station on him because he lost like 20 stone to fit in the car, but the best I can do rn:

The second 348 which got binned:

It being raced in the 355 Challenge:

And the third one, which somebody either got dirt cheap or was an idiot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You should gently caress your ex imo

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Theophany posted:

I know I've got pics of the original Psygnosis 348 somewhere, as well as some weird segment from a local German news station on him because he lost like 20 stone to fit in the car, but the best I can do rn:

The second 348 which got binned:

It being raced in the 355 Challenge:

And the third one, which somebody either got dirt cheap or was an idiot:

Badass.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Thats cool as hell, there was a point a few years ago when you could pick up a 348 for a non insane price.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

Thats cool as hell, there was a point a few years ago when you could pick up a 348 for a non insane price.

The cheapest I remember them being was like £20,000. Testarossas were changing hands for not much more. My Dad picked up a 355 targa for £35,000, he sold it for the exact same a couple of years later and he still regrets not holding on to it because of how much they go for now. Of course, that totally ignores how loving holed he would've been paying to hold on to it.

Obligatory pics...

My 86 year old Italian Grandfather:

My 16 year old dumb rear end posing in it for prom:

My dad actually driving me to prom:

Ahh fuckit, #ForzaFerrari

E; lol this still exists, a report of the 355 Challenge round at Castle Combe. My cousin is mentioned as an end note for having the noobie O plate on his car and not killing anybody. http://archive-focgb.co.uk/events/maranello_2002/round1/report.php

Theophany fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 17, 2018

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Hello again, worst thread!

Khablam posted:

I'll wait to see how much better their tyre model is this year, apparently they've improved it a lot. 2017's is just weird - its picked a bizarre place between simulation and arcade that just feels wrong with a wheel and FFB.

I wasn't being hyperbolic when I wrote that F1 2018 is the closest any game's come to replicating the same steering feel as a proper professional DIL simulator. they did a really good job not just with the tires but also with the way the suspension is simulated.

Also, don't conflate accessible handling with being an arcade game, and extreme difficulty with somehow being a real sim. Games like Grand Prix Legends, rFactor, and the first Project Cars have led to this idea that the harder a game is, the more faithful a simulation it is. Whereas the last thing you want in a race car is something that's a total bastard to drive. Assuming it's a track they knew, anyone who's relatively competent at Gran Turismo/Forza/etc could get in a pro sim and not embarrass themselves. Where the pros stand out is in being able to find that final 3-4% in lap time, plus having done it enough that the driving shifts into the background leaving lots of spare mental capacity to work with their engineers while setting fast times etc.

Schlesische posted:

The idea behind the F50 was amazing. The execution, like so many things Ferrari tried to pull off around that time, was severely lacking.

Ferrari is on record as saying it would have been cheaper and easier to design the F50's engine from scratch than it was taking a 3.5L racing V12 and turning it into a road car engine.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 17, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Also, don't conflate accessible handling with being an arcade game, and extreme difficulty with somehow being a real sim. Games like Grand Prix Legends, rFactor, and the first Project Cars have led to this idea that the harder a game is, the more faithful a simulation it is. Whereas the last thing you want in a race car is something that's a total bastard to drive. Assuming it's a track they knew, anyone who's relatively competent at Gran Turismo/Forza/etc could get in a pro sim and not embarrass themselves. Where the pros stand out is in being able to find that final 3-4% in lap time, plus having done it enough that the driving shifts into the background leaving lots of spare mental capacity to work with their engineers while setting fast times etc.
It's like, kinda the opposite? They've made it both a sim and an accessible arcade, but it feels like the arcadey bits are just slapped on the top.
So you're getting all this feedback telling you simmy things, like 'you're understeering' so you want to start driving it like iRacing. Then, you're in a long corner and the back of the car steps out with no feedback, and the very non-sim "grid 2" style counter-lock drift model seems to kick in, then stop again.

I've heard other people suggest it feels like they built a lateral grip slider and tweaked it til it "looked" right instead of simulating how tyres lose grip. This kinda tracks with my own experience. This is most noticable in F1 2017 because in every other situation these cars have all the extra grip the 2017 regulations gave them. It's like they just realised their driving model didn't work at all with extra grip and added this wishy-washy traction in to give it some arcade difficulty.
I think they balanced around people using traction control + a controller and just left the rest not working. In fairness this is their core audience I suppose.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I stopped buying in to that series after it felt like they were tossing a coin each year to decide whether the handling was going to be good for gamepads or good for steering wheel setups.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

F1 2018: Well done gonzo

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool doc about the f40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX-kgJuzxU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Please put that in the OP!

Gonzo you are on a roll of excellent life choices right now. Keep it up.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pretty cool taking your dad to prom ha ha ha

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hah, i can't believe it got out of the factory with the steering wheel installed on the wrong side.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've posted this before but what a car the F40 is. The shift at 1:05 is beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYYA2jE3Ze0

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Great, what am I supposed to do about this erection now? :mad:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

track day bro! posted:

Sounds like you can get Aldi best stuff from there!

No. But they’re just a lidl ahead of the competition.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Ferrari: Ehh, do it yourself

edit: that doc is cool, thanks gozno

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 18, 2018

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

still processing how much worse f1 will be next year

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Lmao

mrfart posted:

No. But they’re just a lidl ahead of the competition.

:shuckyes:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ostentatious posted:

still processing how much worse f1 will be next year

It will be the same. It's always the same

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Actually it will be better because instead of being annoyed that McLaren is wasting Alonso's talent with their terrible car we can just laugh at Sainz and whichever other idiot they bring in to the 2nd seat while they get their careers destroyed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Actually it will be better because instead of being annoyed that McLaren is wasting Alonso's talent with their terrible car we can just laugh at Sainz and whichever other idiot they bring in to the 2nd seat while they get their careers destroyed

McLaren Will Rise

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Still McLaren Rises

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

(10 years from now) McLaren still rising, albeit almost imperceptibly slowly

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Weren't they on a podium in early 2014? It's amazing the nose dive they've taken. Right after Lewis left. Lewis is the Babe Ruth to McLaren's Red Sox

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If williams had their act together this year, McLaren would be a distant and hilarious last, perhaps fighting it out with Toro Rosso and Ericsson

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Weren't they on a podium in early 2014? It's amazing the nose dive they've taken. Right after Lewis left. Lewis is the Babe Ruth to McLaren's Red Sox

That was the flukiest podium of all time. Monteiro deserved his podium more than McLaren did in Melbourne 2014.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

If williams had their act together this year

Stroll would've been on the podium already. Thankfully y'all are gonna eat some major turds next year when he's in some competently built machinery.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Theophany posted:

Stroll would've been on the podium already. Thankfully y'all are gonna eat some major turds next year when he's in some competently built machinery.

The ambulance, after he bins the force india in the first corner in Melbourne.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Did you know that Lance Stroll
a) was the youngest rookie ever to take an F1 podium?
b) was the youngest F1 driver ever to start on the front row?
c) will double Daniel Ricciardo's points total in 2019?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That was the flukiest podium of all time. Monteiro deserved his podium more than McLaren did in Melbourne 2014.

I dunno. Redbull was blatantly, obviously cheating.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
During the F3000 round at Enna in 1992, Rubens Barrichello collided with a service vehicle during the race somehow, injuring himself. Then the ambulance he was put in crashed on the way to the hospital.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's almost as bad as the time Toto Wolff tried jumping springfield gorge to show his son how dumb it was.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just FYI, Worst Thread Posters who frequently lament how bad Nico Hulkenberg is: Predditors frequently point out that if you removed the big three teams from F1, The Hulk would be leading the championship

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

I wish I never bought you the strollvatar.
How wonderful the thread would be now if I didn't help bootstrap that gimmick.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Just FYI, Worst Thread Posters who frequently lament how bad Nico Hulkenberg is: Predditors frequently point out that if you removed the big three teams from F1, The Hulk would be leading the championship

This assumes a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yes if you exist in a reality where everything is different, Hulkenberg is a winner