Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

not a cult posted:

Get Shorty is great and I didn't expect it to be watchable at all.

Yeah it’s pretty good. Is there a new season out now? I’ve only seen the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

X-O posted:

Yeah it’s pretty good. Is there a new season out now? I’ve only seen the first one.

the new season started, 3 episodes are out
it's a weekly show, no netflixy whole-season-out-on-the-same-day shenanigans here which is a shame

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed with Wellington Paranormal, I finished the season last night and it was so much fun. Definitely deserves wider distribution

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Agreed with Wellington Paranormal, I finished the season last night and it was so much fun. Definitely deserves wider distribution

See how long before Australia claims it as it's own.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
You can add Modern Family to the list of shows that also did the iPad on a Segway gag.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Add me to the goons who like Insatiable. Just binged the whole thing this afternoon. Well Netflix has one more person completing it I guess so hopefully it gets a season 2 cause goddamn that ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I considered giving it a try until I saw it was 40-55 minutes per episode and not half an hour and I mean that’s too much for something I don’t think I’ll enjoy when I haven’t even started Pose or The Terror yet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm so these commercials that Netflix is reportedly adding are in fact skippable, they're just like the things that Prime does when you watch one of their shows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Fire TV and the ads they show before Prime shows aren’t skippable

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The moment I see an ad on Netflix is the moment I cancel my account. Fuuuck that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Fire products are half assed. I can skip the prime ads on my phone and computer browser. I think the ads are irritating.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

The moment I see an ad on Netflix is the moment I cancel my account. Fuuuck that.

Same but what's all this about?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The Fire products are half assed. I can skip the prime ads on my phone and computer browser. I think the ads are irritating.

I found a reddit post from a year ago where a guy talked to a CSR from Amazon and they said it was a mistake so either it's not fixed after a year or there's a way to do it

feedmyleg posted:

Well, these are ads for other Netflix content not for like Citibank so as long as they remain that and skippable, I'll live. I don't think that Netflix would survive putting actual ad breaks in their content.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I really really like the Fire TV besides this one ads thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I really really like the Fire TV besides this one ads thing

That's a pretty big thing imo lol

IRQ posted:

Same but what's all this about?

Netflix is currently trying out showing short, skippable promos for other Netflix Originals between episodes of shows you are bingeing. It's just a handful of users so far and it may or may not go wider in general (but if the public response has anything to do with it, it won't). BUT it was initially framed by the internet as basically, Netflix is doing unskippable ads for Centrum Silver in the middle of Stranger Things, which was a gross overexaggeration.

Remember when Hulu offered that ad free tier but for like five shows they had to show a 15 second ad before and after the show and the internet was like "OH I THOUGHT YOU SAID AD FREE YOU LIARS", it's like that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That's a pretty big thing imo lol

They’re like 15 seconds long :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh, the ones I get on prime are like a minute long

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

BUT it was initially framed by the internet as basically, Netflix is doing unskippable ads for Centrum Silver in the middle of Stranger Things, which was a gross overexaggeration.

I mean, sure, that is an exaggeration. But if I pay for your service, I don't want to see ads, full stop. I don't care what they're for.

So personally, to me, there's zero difference in seeing an ad for Centrum Silver versus seeing an ad for Girlboss.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 20, 2018

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It seems like a huge over reaction. Prime plays ads for its original content all the time and they are like 10 to 15 seconds long. If they were showing ads for Toyota or Coke, I would absolutely be complaining.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the difference, though? If I wanted a Coke, I'd buy one. If I wanted to watch Luke Cage, I'd watch it. Them putting it in front of me is a pure marketing tactic and I resent being marketed to when I'm paying for a service, no matter what is being marketed to me.

If they wanted to increase awareness of their shows, that's what discovery features are for. Anything else is gross.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Do you not watch HBO either? Everything on HBO Go/Now has pre-roll show ads before content.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blazed thru Alone Together this wknd, got to the middle of the second season.

It's a small show where the few featured characters never grow or change, or even really get out of the single home set that all the episodes take place in.

Regardless of that, it's a weirdly addictive piece of media. The female lead is entertainingly off-beat and a weird twist on a old idea (the supporting zany character of the main lead, but this time the show is entirely about her) and the male lead, who took a lot longer to warm up to due to his complete lack of acting or emoting skills, is funny in his complete and self accepting hopelessness.

There's no stakes, nothing really begging to watch this, other than watching co-dependent funny people rag on other people, and mostly, on themselves. A nice laid back thing to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Do you not watch HBO either? Everything on HBO Go/Now has pre-roll show ads before content.

Hm. This is fair. I suppose it was different in my mind because HBO's originals tend to be things that I'm excited about and interested in, and Netflix's originals tend to be a bunch of terrible bullshit I don't care about or want to see. I suppose the former isn't long for the world now, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doesn't Netflix run a trailer for a show suggestion when you finish binging a series?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Escobarbarian posted:

Even 1 second of an ad is unacceptable. I'm loving done with advertising as a revenue model.

Rhyno posted:

Doesn't Netflix run a trailer for a show suggestion when you finish binging a series?

No, it minimizes the credits and instead of the "skip to next" there's just like a "You might also like" thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
September is almost upon us, does anyone know what wonders and horrors the new TV season should behold for us?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muscles like this! posted:

"Perhaps it could perk up my poor tuckered dong" is the perfect Matt Berry line.

I just learned that they're wanting to make a fourth season of Toast of London, which Netflix for some reason thought I would despise.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have ad-free Hulu, Netflix, and PBS Passport for 90% of my shows and when I do have to watch OTA content I get super irrationally annoyed by any commercials. I can't believe how many ads I used to watch. IMO if you have a paywall, you shouldn't have ads. One or the other, don't be greedy. Of course they're gonna be greedy anyway.

Edit: The other 10% is UKTV and I don't get annoyed by their ads. I think it's because they're for poo poo that I can't buy so my brain just doesn't care. Also holy poo poo they're obsessed with vacuums over there.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 20, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:same:

And I used to get so annoyed when my dad muted every commercial break when I was a kid. Sorry dad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lurdiak posted:

Even 1 second of an ad is unacceptable. I'm loving done with advertising as a revenue model.

No, it minimizes the credits and instead of the "skip to next" there's just like a "You might also like" thing.

But its not really a revenue model when its your content...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iron Crowned posted:

September is almost upon us, does anyone know what wonders and horrors the new TV season should behold for us?

More identikit shows based around professions everyone in their right mind is well and truly tired of, I expect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Excited to not watch the six episodes that air of whatever Fox future cop show debuts this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Iron Crowned posted:

See thread title. Everything was cancelled.

In all seriousness though, I don't have anything new I'm planning on watching this year. There was nothing at any of the upfronts that got my interest.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It was handy how hollylolly did the 2017-2018 Fall Network Schedule thread but they appear to have exerted themselves too hard and died right after posting the op.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Surprised there isn't a procedural about using crowd sourcing to help prosecutors put away criminals and/or firemen fight fires more effectively.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll do what I do every September. DVR a bunch of new poo poo, never get around to watching it, letting it add up, and then deleting it and deciding I'll just binge stream it if it has a second season and I'm still interested.

Like im just working through Cloak and Dagger now, have Legion and 12 Monkeys in my DVR, and still haven't watched LAST season of Better Call Saul. I'm not ready for new shows.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

I have a Fire TV and the ads they show before Prime shows aren’t skippable

Can you not just tap the fast forward button to skip them? That works on the Fire TV Stick at least.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm just hoping that somehow they kill off the Sheldon character in Young Sheldon. It'd be a really great show without him. It really feels like they had a great show and shoehorned him in just to keep the BBT cash cow going. Totally different feel and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think they're skippable on mine but they're all like 15 seconds so they're over before I can really react.

It just means I had the songs for Jack Ryan and that Hugh Grant show in my head for weeks.