Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But he makes internet videos so that makes him racially white!

This is what internet politics has devolved to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

It makes going back and rewatching Chronicle hella hard between him and Josh Trank. It’s like “how did something this good come out of two utter monsters?” At this point I’m glad both their careers are toast and there will never be a Chronicle 2 or 3 because fuuuuck Max Landis and Josh Trank.

I’m standing by the idea that Trank did nothing wrong and the whole thing was a studio hit piece like the ones thrown at Lord and Miller.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm hesitant to draw equivalence between "was a lovely boss when thrown into a very stressful blockbuster production with very little prior experience on that scale" and "straight up rapist"

Unless there's something worse about Trank out there

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

But he makes internet videos so that makes him racially white!

This is what internet politics has devolved to.

also what internet politics devolved to: one dude saying a thing being taken as if it's a genuine trend

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sexpig by night posted:

also what internet politics devolved to: one dude saying a thing being taken as if it's a genuine trend

Yeah this is obviously just one dude with an axe to grind, I wouldn’t read much into it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

khwarezm posted:

Oh also, according to her most recent Patreon video she actually worked in Disneyland for some time and talks about how she was so into it that other workers were burning out around her while she was still going strong.

She's really, unironically into the whole the Disney galaxy, so I find it pretty impressive that she can step back and note how loving weird it all is too.

id work at disney world. at least the weather would be mostly sunny and meet interesting people.

business hammocks posted:

She was more savage to Max Landis’ face on that Star Wars hype show she did for ign(?) than any of the RLM guys have ever been when he wasn’t there (although not savage enough, obviously).

Max Landis’ total disappearance from reality has been a really underappreciated aspect of 2018. There are fewer remaining signs of him than there are of the third act of his dad’s segment for the Twilight Zone movie.

i have brought this up before but my girlfriends moms boyfriend was really good friends with him in college. he said he was nice but he basicaly had super bipolar(i forget actual term but it was brain chemical imbalance) and he would go from happy and cool to loving punching you in the face. they haven't talked in years because landis wanted go nuts on one of boyfriends exs and they split after that. they did get their family cat from him. apperently it was a stray that landis found and wanted to give to a girl but she didn't want it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah, he and OtherJoe loving got detained in Customs ( he was flying back from Canada ) and thier white friend AJ got waved though and told if he waited for them he'd be detained too. So they missed thier flight.

The next day they also got detained in customs, but only for 15 minutes or something instead of hours and made thier flight.

Just a few days back he had his Twitter explode at him for daring to say that the howling over SJWs is silly and achieving nothing good, and held his ground calling the chuds snowflakes.

Joe's only sometimes my jam, but he's alright in my book.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yahtzee has never used that unironically though maybe he walked back in recent years I haven’t watched his stuff in a while.

Well, he capped off his review of Kingdom Come like this:

Yahtzee posted:

I reserve the biggest and most suffocating bollocks for those twats I saw on the Steam discussion forums praising its obnoxious qualities and asking the devs not to change the save system because if they did, then "plebs" might get into it. gently caress you, toffee-nosed PC Master Race shitheads! I wish I'd named you something else now, like the "PC Gaming Dick-Slurp All-Stars"!

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

OmanyteJackson posted:

You know that's bullshit, Joe's done videos about how he gets racially profiled and harrased by cops. To say that he somehow became white because his channel is popular is either disingenuous or just loving stupid.

The Cops and Airport Security aren't the same as his web audience TBF.
White Latinos are a thing and he looks white enough IMHO for people to view him as such even if he's not

Daskin is still wrong on his impressions of him mind but whiteness and race is more looser than one might think.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 22, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

My dude, its the internet. One guy saying something has a very, *very* good chance of being massively echo'd by many others.

Utritum posted:

Well, he capped off his review of Kingdom Come like this:

:discourse:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Maggie Mae Fish talks about Rugrats and empathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKpo5n9bAQ

I'm really liking her videos and I hope she rises to the same levels as Lindsay Ellis.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OmanyteJackson posted:

You know that's bullshit, Joe's done videos about how he gets racially profiled and harrased by cops. To say that he somehow became white because his channel is popular is either disingenuous or just loving stupid.
That's fine, but my point was that 'white' is an even more nebulous subjective cultural category than 'black'. Many hispanics are white-passing, and some people (although probably not many Americans) consider hispanics in general to be 'white', regardless of police profiling. I'm not commenting on Joe's heritage because that's his business, I'm commenting on the twitterer's usage of the term to lump Joe in with a bunch of men of perceived social privilege that are 'clearly' not black or asian.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rockit posted:

White Latinos are a thing and he looks white enough IMHO for people to view him as such even if he's not

Daskin is still wrong on his impressions of him mind but whiteness and race is more looser than one might think.
In what world does Joe look white? Is this that thing where south Italians are white supremacists, despite being swarthy enough that any Texan would call them Arabs?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghostlight posted:

That's fine, but my point was that 'white' is an even more nebulous subjective cultural category than 'black'. Many hispanics are white-passing, and some people (although probably not many Americans) consider hispanics in general to be 'white', regardless of police profiling. I'm not commenting on Joe's heritage because that's his business, I'm commenting on the twitterer's usage of the term to lump Joe in with a bunch of men of perceived social privilege that are 'clearly' not black or asian.

Yeah that’s really really bullshit.

The person just used the term as a gotcha and didn’t really think about it to hard.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rockit posted:

my point is that he's brown enough to be racially profiled so doesn't matter if he's not brown enough to trigger your white flight.

Ghostlight posted:

Whiteness is only a mystery to white people. Just because someone is white-passing according to you doesn't make them white. There are many black people who are as light skinned as joe, that doesn't make them non-black and it certainly doesn't make them white either.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OmanyteJackson posted:

Whiteness is only a mystery to white people. Just because someone is white-passing according to you doesn't make them white. There are many black people who are as light skinned as joe, that doesn't make them non-black and it certainly doesn't make them white either.
Once again, I was not commenting at all in any capacity about Joe personally, whether about his race, his heritage, or passing of the same.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

This is definitely the appropriate thread for discourse on whiteness, I totally have faith that any of the posters here are qualified to weigh in on such a nuanced and fraught topic.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

In what world does Joe look white? Is this that thing where south Italians are white supremacists, despite being swarthy enough that any Texan would call them Arabs?

Pretty much from what I gathered. I didn't say i agree with that assessment just that others might.

OmanyteJackson posted:

my point is that he's brown enough to be racially profiled so doesn't matter if he's not brown enough to trigger your white flight.
Cops aren't the only ones with opinions on what socially constructed box a person can fit in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Thompsons posted:

Maybe I'm kind of missing the broader point but why is he including Angry Joe in his list of Condescending White Guy Critics, he never struck me as being condescending at all and he's also obviously not a white guy.

I was going to point that out, since I saw he mentioned Angry Joe, and I'm like, "I'm pretty sure Joe's Puerto Rican, so I don't know what this guy's on"

Loosely related, here's a GamaSutra article that's been getting a little flak. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/324698/Meet_some_of_the_indie_devs_quietly_pushing_the_JRPG_genre_forward.php

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, I’m really glad I stopped watching Cr1tikal’s videos months ago. I noticed the same pattern you did back in like late March of “Holy poo poo, this guy seems to be inviting a LOT of objectively horrible people on to his jokey hangout podcast, what’s up with that?” Glad to see he’s not at all contrite about it and doubling down on paling around with the alt-right—actually no, it’s sad to see someone who seemed actually apolitical get South Park’d into defending outright ghouls.

At this point, I think standard practice now to just assume that every big video game-adjacent YouTuber is an alt-right monster until they prove otherwise, and even then, verify with it at least three sources.

I haven't really followed Cr1tikal's stuff, aside from one-off videos here and there. It wasn't until I watched a few videos and started going through the uploads that I saw the podcast guests. That said, I still like the guy, and he can still come up with some good similes, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWpRjCEqkUA

Getting on camera, though, ruined the mystique that his deadpan voice and delivery created.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point, I think standard practice now to just assume that every big video game-adjacent YouTuber is an alt-right monster until they prove otherwise, and even then, verify with it at least three sources.

How about no.

edit: HERE WE, HERE WE, HERE WE loving GO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7frUqB1Sbs

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 22, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
arguing about whether or not a person looks white is not a good look in the year of our lord 2018. even if AJ looked like freshly fallen snow, if he's got at least one latino parent he can be latino.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Well, someone besmirched 'white guys', gotta post endlessly about it! Oh and also, this one guy isn't white, they are a swarthy non-white!" -A genius.

Actual content:
Defunctland - Interview w/ Former Club Disney Employee Sean "Captaining a Sinking Steamboat" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_LTcqeEDpM

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 22, 2018

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Impermanent posted:

arguing about whether or not a person looks white is not a good look in the year of our lord 2018. even if AJ looked like freshly fallen snow, if he's got at least one latino parent he can be latino.
More like whether or not someone looks a certain way to other people but fair point.
Going down on the twitter thread Daskin does think there's a distinction to be made from Angry Joe but he's still grouped for a reason.
https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1031946218044358656

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Who gives a gently caress about logan Paul and why would anyone keep posting videos about him jesus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BobbyK posted:

Who gives a gently caress about logan Paul and why would anyone keep posting videos about him jesus

He’s one of the biggest YouTuber influencers around and children worship him and BUY THAT MERCH

Logan Paul is an important figure regardless how much you want to hear about him.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Just post the after fight compilation of his face hopefully getting railed, nobody wants to hear the shitstain talk.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well I'm watching this interview now and frankly it's unmissable but hey, gently caress me for posting about Internet Personalities in the Internet Personality thread instead of some twitter tweetstorm naecunt.

EDIT: Tbh the main reason why I posted is because frankly, Geordie's content is better than anybody else's on the entire website. It's literally not even close and I'll happily champion his success. He gets more out of a guy like Logan Paul than any other person on YouTube could.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 22, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kim Justice posted:

Well I'm watching this interview now and frankly it's unmissable but hey, gently caress me for posting about Internet Personalities in the Internet Personality thread instead of some twitter tweetstorm naecunt.

I want to know about this so thank you

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

The twitter user is a YouTube Video essayist with 109k subs. He kinda does fit here.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Rockit posted:

The twitter user is a YouTube Video essayist with 109k subs. He kinda does fit here.

Well, ok. I just don't react well when suddenly I get GRRRR for posting things that, I dunno, might be different than endless talk about dumb comic book movies or whatever. It's bollocks frankly.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Everyone shut the gently caress up and take a deep breath.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Well, ok. I just don't react well when suddenly I get GRRRR for posting things that, I dunno, might be different than endless talk about dumb comic book movies or whatever. It's bollocks frankly.

Fair enough then.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

rudecyrus posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up and take a deep breath.

The Paul’s are valid topics.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Innuendo Studios guy calling someone condescending is a bit funny. Love his work, but he should have some idea of how his Academic Video Voice comes off

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Maggie Mae Fish talks about Rugrats and empathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKpo5n9bAQ

I'm really liking her videos and I hope she rises to the same levels as Lindsay Ellis.

Nice light Lacan use there. It’s hard to pull that off. It’s nice to see her pulling a network together with Mikey and Queer Kid Stuff too—more superteams/a bigger superteam can build a stronger cultural front against the youtube nazis. I see some nice overlap in approach and sensibility with Poparena’s Nick Knacks, too. Maybe you could do some collaboration once you’re into the nicktoons era.

I could never handle Rugrats because of the jumpy, squiggly Klasky Csupo animation style, but this is a really thoughtful take that makes me want to check it out. I never would have thought that it had such a deliberate mission. I did know a guy in college who had fragmented memories of having a Jewish grandfather which he figured out came from confused memories of watching Rugrats.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

CelticPredator posted:

He’s one of the biggest YouTuber influencers around and children worship him and BUY THAT MERCH

Logan Paul is an important figure regardless how much you want to hear about him.

It's kind of fascinating how crazy high celebrity-status "Influencers" and YouTubers in general are with post-millennials. I understand in retrospect how it happened (~Parasocial Relationships~), but I legit did not realize how stupidly huge Internet Personalities got until, like, TanaCon.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 22, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean I can see it, when I was a kid I thought Doug Walker was the peak of comedy. I'm not as pessimistic about the gen-z kids and there youtube's, most of them will probably develop taste out of sheer boredom. in 5 years Logan Paul will only be remembered with an equally nostalgic and ironic attachment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

"Well, someone besmirched 'white guys', gotta post endlessly about it! Oh and also, this one guy isn't white, they are a swarthy non-white!" -A genius.

Actual content:
Defunctland - Interview w/ Former Club Disney Employee Sean "Captaining a Sinking Steamboat" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_LTcqeEDpM

Lol that somehow you try to make a joke but just look massively racist.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
@ Joe and call him a whitey. Report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I grew up with garbage cartoons cynically designed to sell toys, and today I’m a socialist who hates television and toys, so I feel like youtube garbage might eventually inoculate kids against parasocial effects to a degree greater than their parents have reached, like how I hate and can smell pandering marketing attempts while boomers endlessly fall for them.