Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this the one where he gets nearly entirely occupied and triggers revolt events on himself so the rebels take the land back from the Ottomans, he ends up at like -2 stability, and all of his allies get peaced out but he still wins in the end? (I'm asking because I dont have two hours to sit and watch the whole thing).

It's DDRJake, so the assumption that he has multiple 40 year wars against the Ottomans is completely valid, though the circumstances would probably be exactly the same. This is the one where he's Aq Quyunlu, however that's spelled, and yes, basically, that's the plot.

Wafflecopper posted:

Completely unrelated, Ottomans dead before 1600 with no player interference. I have no idea what happened. I haven't seen the Ottomans fail in a few games and I don't think I've ever seen them die so fast. All I know is I was playing Orissa and I saw Mamluk colonies popping up in Indonesia, so I took a look at Turkey to see what was going on. It was mostly unrevealed still but I could see Albania had Constantinople. Later when I noticed the map had opened up I took another look:

So close to AI Sultanate of Rum

sloshmonger fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Completely unrelated, Ottomans dead before 1600 with no player interference. I have no idea what happened. I haven't seen the Ottomans fail in a few games and I don't think I've ever seen them die so fast. All I know is I was playing Orissa and I saw Mamluk colonies popping up in Indonesia, so I took a look at Turkey to see what was going on. It was mostly unrevealed still but I could see Albania had Constantinople. Later when I noticed the map had opened up I took another look:

If the Ottomans lose Edirne and Constantinople early on, it basically sends them down an irreversible death spiral. I knew Albania could get lucky with Skanderbeg, but that's pretty crazy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fuf posted:

Thanks for the tips and DDRJake recommendation. So with the forts, do you destroy the inland ones as you expand? Even on low maintenance seems like it could get expensive very fast.

Destroying inland forts means that any one of your border forts falling would be a disaster, and it also makes rebels a lot harder to deal with. I don't destroy forts unless they overlap ZOCs or they're not protecting anything important.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

That Albania...
:cryingenver:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm the remnant of Venice scattered across a couple islands in the Med

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i rarely delete forts unless i’m some tiny country dying for that 1 ducat a month or if i feel they’re too close together. they’re pretty good at keeping rebels from going buck wild

i also rarely build forts

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Destroying inland forts means that any one of your border forts falling would be a disaster, and it also makes rebels a lot harder to deal with. I don't destroy forts unless they overlap ZOCs or they're not protecting anything important.

Ahh, now I see how you got into all that debt in the Sweden - Denmark war.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I'm sure letting Denmark and Norway and all their OPM allies trample all over my poo poo would have been better.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

forts own

they're pretty drat expensive as a 15th century second-rate power though

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I nearly always delete forts except for at chokepoints and on my capital, at least in the early game.

admittedly sometimes I end up regretting it

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I usually work on the basis of "is this region worth fortifying or not" and if yes I fort it up good. I almost never build forts on no-attacker-penalty provinces.

Useless forts (prime example: Shirvan fort) get mercilessly deleted.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sloshmonger posted:

So close to AI Sultanate of Rum

Turkey/Greece is a total thunderdome, Constantinople has changed hands several times now

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 20, 2018

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Turkey/Greece is a total thunderdome, Constantinople has changed hands several times now

France, Russia, and Ottomans dead/dying?
:golfclap:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
:yeshaha:

Russia is looking weak, you might end up with them becoming the Revolutionary target like my game!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I am a frequent fort deleter. It really depends on the geography of your country and whether or not you expect to ever lose a defensive siege. In a lot of campaigns, you should never lose a siege, otherwise things have gone horribly wrong. I'll allow for some depth in my fort setup, but anything more than two layers of forts in your most vital regions is way overkill. If that's not enough, then you're doing warfare wrong on a fundamental level.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

forts are too expensive, and they're always going to be too expensive because later on you need better forts to get the same effectiveness. maintain them at borders, at chokepoints, and on important big islands like honshu or java; the money you'd spend on further depth is better off spent anywhere else unless you're seriously expecting a war to the death with ming or the ottomans

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Wafflecopper posted:

Dat Rum...
Also Spain and the Commonwealth and Sweden.

Anecdotally, I've seen this kind of crazyness happen somewhat often while playing far away from Europe. Is it something about the CPU being prioritised for the player's benefit?

e: I do worry about the future of Greater Albania, though :ohdear:

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 20, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jazerus posted:

and on important big islands like honshu or java;

If you’re based in Japan/Indonesia/archipelago of choice I don’t think you really need to do that even. Your fleets and armies should be on hand to deal with problems that close to home. it’s mostly handy for a Euro with trade companies, so as to frustrate attempts to snipe your colonies on the sly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jazerus posted:

forts are too expensive, and they're always going to be too expensive because later on you need better forts to get the same effectiveness. maintain them at borders, at chokepoints, and on important big islands like honshu or java; the money you'd spend on further depth is better off spent anywhere else unless you're seriously expecting a war to the death with ming or the ottomans

Counterpoint: a properly placed level 2 fort will always stop an enemy army no matter what. It may not be for long, but sometimes all you need is a month or two to get your own forces into position. A level 2 fort always gives you the defender bonus too, and that can make the difference between winning or losing the battle. You don't need level 8 forts covering all your provinces, but having some level 2s to keep your valuable core territory from being occupied and devastated to poo poo in the event of a catastrophic failure is a good insurance policy.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I delete all my forts because no one ever attacks me anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i mostly keep forts around for when i’m trucking with 100+% overextension and suddenly the peaceful content citizens of the empire in the middle of nowhere want “freedom” and “sovereignty”

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I normally keep forts unless they overlap. However it depends on how poor of a nation I start with. My latest game is Theodoro, and there the half ducat per month is a lot more useful for armies, missionaries and advisors. It does suck with rebellions though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jazerus posted:

The issue with the war to the death thing is that it generally means you will have to siege back a lot of your forts as well...

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Military tradition is good, forts are good.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

uPen posted:

Military tradition is good, forts are good.

This dude gets it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
A chicken in every pot and a fort in every province!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Your enemies can't take any of your forts if you never have any in the first place :thunk:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Your enemies can't take any of your forts if you never have any in the first place :thunk:

*extremely pontic steppe voice*

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really wish the bigger forts were drastically more expensive so investing in a fort would be a serious consideration rather than something you put somewhere in every state lategame. From what I've read about major forts, they were a huuuuuge undertaking to siege and something you could not bypass . Right now we have the "cannot bypass" in a way (if there isnt an unbroken line of forts you are still okay, because supply lines arent a thing) but forts seem like they are a dime a dozen and each one takes years to siege.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

To make it very simple, medieval fortification methods proved fatally vulnerable to cannon, so people switched to making star forts instead. These could be astonishingly effective at repelling superior forces and has been theorized to be at the root of a major shift in how warfare was conducted in the 16th and 17th centuries. To again simplify greatly, this theory says that in this period warfare became less about pitched battle and more about besieging these forts. Later with the development of more powerful artillery like mortars, these forts themselves became vulnerable and obsolete and the focus of war shifted back towards the battlefield (think Napoleon). Up to you (or the devs) to decide how seriously all this should be taken — the theory is known as the Military Revolution if you want to learn more about it.

Forts shouldn’t all take years to siege though (in terms of how they actually function, not in terms of historical accuracy), not in the present state of the game. Artillery Barrage is extremely good and should be used at virtually any unpromising siege. It pays for itself, so to speak.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 22, 2018

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Playing Portugal for the first time and just got the navigator achievement. Got it in september 1499 so it was a bit close, mainly because I had to get an Indien province through warfare and Maldives was allied with Pasai. I managed to finish a siege of Pasai's capital just in time to peace them out and take Maldives.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jazerus posted:

smh if you're playing a game where you aren't expecting a war to the death with ming or the ottomans

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

Forts shouldn’t all take years to siege though (in terms of how they actually function, not in terms of historical accuracy), not in the present state of the game. Artillery Barrage is extremely good and should be used at virtually any unpromising siege. It pays for itself, so to speak.

It's loving amazing and probably the #1 reason why I always have military focus on.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm so bad at becoming Emperor, I keep doing dumb things and then going "oh... right." Brandenburg -> Prussia game a year ago, get Emperor, shortly after go Protestant, oops. This time I managed to take an event to get a female heir, then she became ruler, which apparently makes you ineligible.

Oh well, joke's on them, she's a 6/5/6.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You need to take a special decision to have a Holy Roman Empress. Can only do it if you are emperor with above 25 IA, positive prestige, female heir, and 90 legit.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought that was unique to Austria?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I thought that was unique to Austria?

The way I recall it, it used to be an event with low MTTH that fired whenever Austria was emperor and had female heir, but the requirement for it to be Austria was removed when the event was replaced with a decision. Could be wrong though. I haven’t played in the HRE for a couple months.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's funny because the opposite happens to me, I like want to go protestant or do some other poo poo and suddenly I am loving emperor without knowing it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally beat the game! :toot:

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

I finally beat the game! :toot:

:smug:

You really should try Iron Man sometime.