Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Does the music get any better? That's really the only cringey part to me.

Christopher Franke was definitely hitting those synths a lot harder in Season 1. There are a few cold open stingers in there that would scare my cat. This improves almost immediately in Season 2 and keeps improving.

It feels like roughly the same progression early TNG's scores made across their first few seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Delsaber posted:

Christopher Franke was definitely hitting those synths a lot harder in Season 1. There are a few cold open stingers in there that would scare my cat. This improves almost immediately in Season 2 and keeps improving.

It feels like roughly the same progression early TNG's scores made across their first few seasons.

Christophe Franke was in Tangerine Dream, and if you want to hear what real heavy synth use is like check out the soundtracks for Sorcerer, Firestarter and The Keep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmU6hmHB9u4

The Keep actually has two OSTs. TD originally wrote 16 tracks for the movie, and while only three appear in the film those tracks are the ones on the official OST. The actual music used in the film is I think only available as a bootleg.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From the poking around I've done with Star Trek, it seems like there was a real decline in music from the original series to Next Generation to DS9. I don't know if that's cheaper cost of musical talent in the 60s, shifted priority to effects, or what, but the original series is musically vibrant and complex with themes and musical effects and weird sounds to evoke the weird future, while TNG was somewhat more simplistic but compensated with full orchestral arrangements.

And then by the time of DS9, it still was trying to use the sort of orchestral arrangements that TNG had going on, but the music felt blander and less ambitious. I think B5's music does a drat sight better than DS9, but I'd have to go back and watch more to make sure.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah I always felt that DS9's music never really matched the tone of the show. As uh, dated as B5's soundtrack may be, it was really effective in how it was used. I can clearly remember specific pieces associated with important moments in the show (especially from the ep, The Long Twilight Struggle), and the theme music in each season except maybe the fifth season all felt very iconic.

Meanwhile I literally can't remember a single piece of music from DS9.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
That sillyass riff when shadows appear always slays me, but I agree with other people's thoughts - at least B5s music strived to be distinct.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I don’t remember much DS9 music but the main theme owns.

Also Christopher Franke owns, Tangerine Dream owns, and B5 music owns.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SlothfulCobra posted:

From the poking around I've done with Star Trek, it seems like there was a real decline in music from the original series to Next Generation to DS9. I don't know if that's cheaper cost of musical talent in the 60s, shifted priority to effects, or what, but the original series is musically vibrant and complex with themes and musical effects and weird sounds to evoke the weird future, while TNG was somewhat more simplistic but compensated with full orchestral arrangements.

And then by the time of DS9, it still was trying to use the sort of orchestral arrangements that TNG had going on, but the music felt blander and less ambitious. I think B5's music does a drat sight better than DS9, but I'd have to go back and watch more to make sure.

TNG's music was consciously kept in check, especially in later seasons, by Rick Berman specifically telling them to make it more like "sonic wallpaper" than any kind of music that would draw attention to itself or be interesting in its own right.

gently caress you Rick Berman

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

I sincerely love the music in Star Trek TOS, but it's not a universal appeal and there's a broad swath of people who find it silly and unacceptably over-the-top*. Like other elements of TOS, there was definitely a push to get TNG away from that style and to have it be its own thing, which meant less bombastic and more subdued music.

Unfortunately there were producers like Rick Berman who wanted to go too far in that direction, to the point where he specifically pushed back against leitmotifs and insisted that music should not be too exciting as he felt it would take attention away from what was happening on the screen.

*to which I say, look, if you can't go over the top in space, where in the gently caress can you indulge?

edit: gently caress, beaten

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
God why is Rick Berman such a god damned stupid rear end in a top hat

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I sincerely love the music in Star Trek TOS, but it's not a universal appeal and there's a broad swath of people who find it silly and unacceptably over-the-top*. Like other elements of TOS, there was definitely a push to get TNG away from that style and to have it be its own thing, which meant less bombastic and more subdued music.

Unfortunately there were producers like Rick Berman who wanted to go too far in that direction, to the point where he specifically pushed back against leitmotifs and insisted that music should not be too exciting as he felt it would take attention away from what was happening on the screen.

*to which I say, look, if you can't go over the top in space, where in the gently caress can you indulge?

edit: gently caress, beaten

TOS was done by Alexander Courage who also did Planet of the Apes and it’s loving glorious and I will cut anyone who disagrees. :ese:

C.f. The Doomsday Machine theme and music.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

TNG's music was consciously kept in check, especially in later seasons, by Rick Berman specifically telling them to make it more like "sonic wallpaper" than any kind of music that would draw attention to itself or be interesting in its own right.

gently caress you Rick Berman

Come to think of it, I honestly couldn't tell you if Voyager actually had any music aside from its main theme.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Come to think of it, I honestly couldn't tell you if Voyager actually had any music aside from its main theme.

And the main theme/opening credits was by far the best part of Voyager.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you played the DS9 theme to me when I was sleeping I'd probably pee because that's the pee break music. "Oh, time to get up and pee if I'm gonna do that."

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Apparently I still associate the Voyager opening with the 3rd Rock from the Sun opening, because I watched it to hear the music and I immediately thought of that.

Visually similar and they were on the air at the same time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pick posted:

God why is Rick Berman such a god damned stupid rear end in a top hat

Drugs.

Grand Fromage posted:

And the main theme/opening credits was by far the best part of Voyager.

Voyager didn't deserve that opening theme.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Next Generation, and Deep Space 9 were the only good Star Treks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woah idiot, you forgot TAS

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The No Surrender, No Retreat suite is fantastic (Warning: SPOILERS up to and including season 4).

And if you're really weirded out by B5's music, just wait until you hear the music used for "A Call to Arms" and Crusade.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Voyager didn't deserve that opening theme.

Absolutely. It's like they put all their creative effort (by hiring Jerry Goldsmith :v:) into making those amazing opening credits and said, "Well, good work, gang. Let's take the next 7 years off."

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Absolutely. It's like they put all their creative effort (by hiring Jerry Goldsmith :v:) into making those amazing opening credits and said, "Well, good work, gang. Let's take the next 7 years off."

More than 7, considering Enterprise's opening theme.

Or Enterprise in general.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wish all sci-fi TV would do the B5 thing and roll an entirely new opening credits sequence every season.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My wife is sad that Claudia Christian isn't in season 5. I guess she gave WB the cold shoulder for the season and just outright ignored them when they needed to know if she wanted to be back?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Do any shows even do an opening theme anymore? Pretty much everything has just like a sting over a logo anymore I think.

I guess The Orville does a theme, maybe that will be updated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Do any shows even do an opening theme anymore? Pretty much everything has just like a sting over a logo anymore I think.

HBO does amazing openings. My favorite is Westworld. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkHuRROPfk

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

GLOW has one of the best current opening themes but I guess it's not conducive to binge watching so Netflix only shows it on the first episode of each season..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HqErTHlDMg

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

My wife is sad that Claudia Christian isn't in season 5. I guess she gave WB the cold shoulder for the season and just outright ignored them when they needed to know if she wanted to be back?

There's a longer "three-edged sword" version of the story, but the gist is that she wanted a few episodes off to do a movie but wanted to get paid for them. This would have meant being forced to give raises to the rest of the cast, and the show got S5 via going cheap.

Christian's agent decided to play hardball, figuring she was indispensible. By the time it became clear how very wrong that was, both Christian and JMS were pissed at each other and the possibility of working things out became nil.

I should probably add that the agent decided to play hardball at the last possible minute, leaving no time to negotiate even if that had been possible.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Voltron Legendary Defender's theme is stuck in my head. If you mean network TV, I have no idea. Person of Interest had a theme song, with narration describing the premise of the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

V-Men posted:

Voltron Legendary Defender's theme is stuck in my head. If you mean network TV, I have no idea. Person of Interest had a theme song, with narration describing the premise of the show.

The only problem with the Voltron: Legendary Defenders opening credits is they're now incorrect and outdated for every single character dynamic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Most shows still have a theme. They just have a full credits version and a sting version. Elementary is a good example: there's the main credits with the Heath Robinson mousetrap and the principal cast list, and the sting with a couple of bars of the theme and the shot of the New York skyline where the principal cast are named rapidly before the guest stars.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

V-Men posted:

Yeah, Person of Interest came to mind after I posted that. I haven't watched a lot of current shows lately so my sample size is probably skewed. I was thinking more in the vein of Lost, Agents of SHIELD, Once Upon a Time. Now that I post that it seems like it's more just a thing on ABC.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Halfway thru season 2 (Londo noooo :ohdear:) and I gotta say the music is growing on me :buddy:

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqqqgixNq8

It gets various updates through the series, always the same music though.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Halfway thru season 2 (Londo noooo :ohdear:) and I gotta say the music is growing on me :buddy:

I really really didn’t like the season 1 music at the time of airing. By the end of season 2 I was loving sold. By the end of season 3 it’s doing heavier lifting than pretty much the rest of the show. Don’t read this poo poo The climax of the season 3 finale is pretty much the best build to “this whole thing has gone to poo poo” ever

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

J33uk posted:

I really really didn’t like the season 1 music at the time of airing. By the end of season 2 I was loving sold. By the end of season 3 it’s doing heavier lifting than pretty much the rest of the show. Don’t read this poo poo The climax of the season 3 finale is pretty much the best build to “this whole thing has gone to poo poo” ever

Yeah, I was gonna post, that -- watching Babylon 5 for the first time, as a kid -- the Season 3 finale was the first time I sat up and paid attention to what incidental music could do during television.

I think the season 3 finale stands out in how cinematic and self-consciously epic television could be as well, compared to what its peers were creating. Is there anything comparable in scope to the kinds of set pieces this show was producing, at least back then?

Edit: Maybe Xena, I think that's the only other series that gets anywhere near as close.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: Maybe Xena, I think that's the only other series that gets anywhere near as close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUma9jogBDU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

That sequence always puts me in mind of Holst.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bieeanshee posted:

That sequence always puts me in mind of Holst.

That's because it rips off "Mars, Bringer of War" quite shamelessly.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That was when Ron Jones was scoring TNG, before being fired because he refused to follow Rick Berman's edict that music should be bland and unnoticeable.

gently caress you, Rick Berman.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Oh hey morden got a haircut

Zooty zoot zoot!

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
I'm doing a full rewatch since it's on Amazon Prime, and I have not seen it since I was a kid. Up to Season 3, and this show was so ahead of it times in terms of pacing, and seeding plot threads early on, with a slow burn towards a satisfying payoff.

Loving it even more than I did back then, with a new appreciation for Sinclair (was not a fan of him when I was younger).

That being said, it seems like 80% of the time Security opens fire with a PPG, they then check the target's pulse, and confirm they are dead. Is the PPG just that consistently lethal? Do they not have lower settings, or something less lethal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished my binge rewatch (in my wife's case, first time watch) last night with "Objects in Motion," "Objects at Rest," and "Sleeping in Light" last night. Needless to say, there was way too much dust in the ol' living room.