Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I did a single class skald for my first character and it was awesome. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/999744617506471936 is the star of that thread

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
PoE1 rogue also had the advantage of being tied to Devil of Caroc as a companion. Rust in peace, murderbot friend.

Nice.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I did a single class skald for my first character and it was awesome. :smug:

hi5 buddy

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Some info on Seeker, Slayer, Survivor :
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/pillars-of-eternity-2-seeker-slayer-survivor-dlc

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

PoE1 rogue also had the advantage of being tied to Devil of Caroc as a companion. Rust in peace, murderbot friend.

Nice.

Nice.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

galawain streams fortnite

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bold Robot posted:

Finished the DLC last night, thought it was great overall, especially The Bridge Ablaze - very cool puzzle and an interesting look into the backstory/lore of the setting. Vatnir was a fun character and I enjoyed bringing him along for the ride. The new items are cool, though I noticed a bug where the soulbound armor and soulbound shield don’t seem to both count afflictions if you have bound both (at least I assume this is what’s happening - the armor affliction count is going up but the shield is stuck at 0).

The final fight against the dragon was a little underwhelming. The three souls chilled on the sidelines and didn’t do anything that I noticed. I kited the dragon over to the Huana guy, but I couldn’t tell if he actually attacked the dragon, so I didn’t bother kiting the dragon over to the other guys. The dragon got stuck a few times during the fight.

I've got the armour and shield both bound and yea, it definitely only increases for one at a time.
Which is bizzare, I wonder if it's intended?

Well.... that sounds really boring. What a shame.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough but I'm really more interested in seeing what they do for the third.

Hopefully a lot of dialogue solutions to quests and some Rules Lawyering resolutions like in Tyranny. I fear it might be too much in the direction of push button puzzles though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We always knew that Seeker, Slayer, Survivor was going to involve various combat games, so I am happy to hear that there will actually be a lot more story and puzzles to the DLC also.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oasx posted:

We always knew that Seeker, Slayer, Survivor was going to involve various combat games, so I am happy to hear that there will actually be a lot more story and puzzles to the DLC also.

Yeah, the good news is it's not just "lol here's an arena, kill stuff"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What bugs me is it's all confined to one island. It would be cool if the artifact hunt was more spread out so you had to go out sailing to find them and bring them back. Still, people would call that padding so this is probably the way to go. I just want more fights so enemies can attack Aloth and level up that shield I gave him

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

2house2fly posted:

What bugs me is it's all confined to one island. It would be cool if the artifact hunt was more spread out so you had to go out sailing to find them and bring them back. Still, people would call that padding so this is probably the way to go. I just want more fights so enemies can attack Aloth and level up that shield I gave him

I really hope it's that one north of Dunnage.
It's so strange that there's a big blank island.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/pillars-of-eternity-2-free-dlc-god-challenges-josh-sawyer

quote:

The game is soon to patched with the first two God Challenges in update 2.0.1 – Abydon and Skaen – and further gods, including Berath and Magran, will be added over time.
:downs:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
As a general comment, I'm digging this revival of isomorphic RPGs. Hope it keeps up and everyone at Obsidian gets rich!

So far, I've played PoE, PoEII and Tyranny and they're all great (Tyranny's level-scaling aside).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I restarted on PotD and holy poo poo this feels way more difficult than PotD in PoE1.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

As a general comment, I'm digging this revival of isomorphic RPGs. Hope it keeps up and everyone at Obsidian gets rich!

So far, I've played PoE, PoEII and Tyranny and they're all great (Tyranny's level-scaling aside).

I really enjoyed Tyranny. Sure magic is overpowered, but in a Bronze Age world with magic, how could it be any other way?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Pellisworth posted:

I restarted on PotD and holy poo poo this feels way more difficult than PotD in PoE1.

There are three fights on the first island that are just ridiculously hard, but actually all can be skipped. Once you leave the first island, you can get a ton of levels with little to no combat and the game becomes much easier.

I’m glad to hear that Josh Sawyer is still playing an important role in the development of the game and the god challenges look cool, but rope kid, I want a real, proper balance patch! There are still tons of things, like how full attacks influence weapon balance, that seem really off.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pellisworth posted:

My PotD strategy was 5 rangers with bear companions, it was pretty successful.

Sasha's Singing Scimitar 4 lyfe!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

There are still tons of things, like how full attacks influence weapon balance, that seem really off.
Nick Carver is experimenting with a change that makes dual wielding less insane on Full Attacks.

It’s not an easy thing to balance around in a way that satisfies everyone.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

rope kid posted:

Nick Carver is experimenting with a change that makes dual wielding less insane on Full Attacks.

It’s not an easy thing to balance around in a way that satisfies everyone.

That’s good to hear and I look forward to seeing what you all go with.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What makes full attacks so op as is?

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

What makes full attacks so op as is?

It's mainly that you make two attacks with no recovery in between.

The best solution would be to make full attacks made with other weapon styles do something cool.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Don’t you then get the recovery afterwards, anyway?

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Don’t you then get the recovery afterwards, anyway?

Recovery for only one weapon, specifically the off-hand weapon, so a full attack with a saber in the main hand and a dagger in the off hand would only have recovery for the dagger attack.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Then the obvious “fix” would be to just add up both recovery times to after the full attack. Or would that then swing too far the other way balance wise?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think it would be too bad balance-wise, but dual wielding is supposed to be the fastest combat style and giving it big slow attacks would go against the basic design idea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has anyone had any success with / found any workarounds for the "no random encounters" bug? I'd like to grab Griffin's Blade but I'm just not getting any random encounters this run.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

What's a full attack?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taear posted:

What's a full attack?

quote:

Full Attack is a term in Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire.

Many Abilities will state that they use either a Full or Primary Attack. When such Abilities are used, the character applies the effect through an attack with either all currently equipped weapons (Full Attack) or with their primary equipped weapon (Primary Attack).

This means that all of the statistics of the weapons still apply, including the damage and other effects that they provide.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That language around all equipped weapons always really annoyed me. I think any reasonable person reading that for the first time would assume it included weapons in other equipment slots.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I made an amaua barbarian (for the extra weapon slot) in poe1 exactly because I thought that’s what heart of fury would do.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a mod that opens up all your party members' pet slots? It'd probably be pretty cheaty since pets give bonuses now, but I still want to see Stinky Pete leading a legion of stray cats everywhere I go.

Also, I feel like I've asked this before but I can't remember, but in this playthrough I'm going New Blood Principi and I'm kinda assuming Maia and/or Pellegina will bail on me by the end. Is that a correct assumption?

Edit: What are people's thoughts on this mod? Some of the changes look worth starting a fresh run for, particularly the Mage Slayer rework.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 23, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I had absolutely no idea you used the things in other slots, my other slots are all empty.
How...do you learn that? As in when does the game tell you that?

I've just reached the end game for the second time and the Guardian is bugged. It spoke to me but didn't fight me. It started the fight but the animation didn't create the dragon. Which is nice, I guess!

And this is DLC spoilers.
I took the souls with me to Eothas and Waidwen came out and spoke to him. Unexpected and really good, definitely worth it. Although it's really poo poo that Vatnir isn't a full companion, it's like he isn't even there when you're at the end.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 23, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taear posted:

I had absolutely no idea you used the things in other slots, my other slots are all empty.
It doesn't, that's what makes the "all equipped weapons" part slightly unclear. All Full Attacks do is make you use the active effect with the primary weapon and then immediately (no recovery time) do it again with the off-hand weapon if you're dual wielding, then recovery is either just the off-hand recovery or the average, I'm not entirely sure which. If you are not dualwielding, Primary Attacks and Full Attacks are the same thing.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 23, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Taear posted:

I've just reached the end game for the second time and the Guardian is bugged. It spoke to me but didn't fight me. It started the fight but the animation didn't create the dragon. Which is nice, I guess!

The end-boss was u the whole time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

It doesn't, that's what makes the "all equipped weapons" part slightly unclear. All Full Attacks do is make you use the active effect with the primary weapon and then immediately (no recovery time) do it again with the off-hand weapon if you're dual wielding, then recovery is either just the off-hand recovery or the average, I'm not entirely sure which. If you are not dualwielding, Primary Attacks and Full Attacks are the same thing.

Oh right, that makes more sense and seems less insane. I've never dual wielded in PoE2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It is annoying that Vatnir got nothing at the end of the game. Hopefully there'll be at least a line or two for Ryona

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

I had this bug too. There was some dialog about how this was going to be an epic fight and then I walked on to the next screen.

Taear posted:

it's like he isn't even there when you're at the end.

Sidekicks were a bad idea.

User fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
QINE