Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

:drat: thats strong. 3d art looks good too.

Also a beefy spell damage roll on there for volatile dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

summoner autobomber with that and bubonic trail

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1032762042829004800

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cool ive been hoping to some sort of buff to shaper influence

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Neato, they can drop league restricted items.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sounds good. Hang on to them for better influence control for a farming strat or clear them as they come for a buff to casual pick up and go clearing.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Neversink posted the results for the survey he posted the other day.

https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/99ov7u/results_the_survey_on_looting_beamicon_features/

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2199862

Actual instant casts now :aaa:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well that's going to make Adrenaline-based shenanigans a lot easier.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Whoa, immortal call will be instant cast? I assume that applies to Vaal Immortal Call, which means it could actually be useful for a change.

Imagine using that in HC instead of a logout macro!

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 24, 2018

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Vaal Immortal Call was removed with the revamps. The existing gems would presumably be affected, but no more are dropping.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I've never played a scold's bridle build before but will this instant cast change lead to some shennanigans where you put molten shell on your mousewheel or some poo poo and just spin it for infinity damage?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I'm sure there's going to be cool downs to prevent that

Mines probably going to get a damage multiplier nerf

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

loving save some goodies for the next expansion guys.

J posted:

I've never played a scold's bridle build before but will this instant cast change lead to some shennanigans where you put molten shell on your mousewheel or some poo poo and just spin it for infinity damage?
When the spellcopter made build of the week they featured it and said "have fun for now, we're going to put in cooldowns to stop you from doing this so fast you get kicked from the server"

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
drat, this patch is going to rule

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

These instant cast poo poo seems pretty busted on first glance

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Truly instant skills opens up a whole new world of possibilities, goddamn. Imagine being able to use auras reactively. Manually popping IC before a lethal phys slam. Using a warcry while cycloning/whirling. Detonating mines while channeling. And on and on and on.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Fully instant warcries almost seals doing Guardian for me with the new Templar changes coming.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

guardian is being reworked this patch so dont make any plans with the current one

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2199882

weapon/shield/weapon effect sale this weekend with a free box if you spend points. manticore shield finally on sale!

also,

quote:

Mon: Delve Challenge Rewards.
Tue: 3.4.0 Balance Development Manifesto.
Wed: 3.4.0 Patch Notes, Passive Tree and Item Filter Information.
Thu: Showcase of the New Skill Gems (at Level 20 with 20% Quality).

also also, holy poo poo

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Whoa! I wonder if that's a prefix or a suffix?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Whoa! I wonder if that's a prefix or a suffix?

Everything good in life is a suffix, so I'm guessing this will be too

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/23/path-of-exile-review-2018

Is this review entirely lolworthy or is this how a new player still sees the game. It's been so long I can't remember.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I could see someone entirely unfamiliar with the game and the genre doing it, because there's really very little ingame help (even with the tutorial) and what help is there doesn't really help with the amount of obfuscated mechanics.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The instant casting thing is pretty necessary because PoE has a bad habit of being a one-button game. Why self buff when it reduces your ability to put out your DPS, you'd rather automate casting those buffs.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Awesome! posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2199882

weapon/shield/weapon effect sale this weekend with a free box if you spend points. manticore shield finally on sale!

also,

also also, holy poo poo

woah woah woah what the fuckkkk

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh poo poo what if golems are instant cast now?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
That abyssal socket crafting on rares looks like a pretty big power creep but with the new instant cast poo poo it might not be as big as a no brainer as imagined, especially with more instant cast skills coming in the future.

Sure, a jewel with +50 flat life and +100 flat damage is going to be juicy no matter which way you slice it but what if your build has enough damage and you're comparing it to extra movespeed (phase run), free endurance charges + taunt (enduring cry), cwdt setup, etc. These skills have practically no downside now apart from the cost of using a socket space and hitting your keyboard every few seconds. They're like flasks without charges. Many builds are socket starved or close to as it is

thats just my initial impressions. Looks hecka op though

yum fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 24, 2018

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Well that's going to make Adrenaline-based shenanigans a lot easier.

Nice, that hadn't occurred to me.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/23/path-of-exile-review-2018

Is this review entirely lolworthy or is this how a new player still sees the game. It's been so long I can't remember.

I followed a build guide and it probably took me 20ish hours to run through the campaign, and I found the later acts to be really tough to get through. If someone went in blind I can see that totally being his experience.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

That guide semi reads like someone who does not like this type of game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZenVulgarity posted:

That guide semi reads like someone who does not like this type of game

Yeah it really reads like someone doing his best to see through the fact that he doesn't enjoy the genre at all and it's just his job to play the game but he really would rather be doing something else.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I feel like instant casts were the change I was waiting for to give a whackmans a try, might finally set the bowlady down after I give this new poison rain poo poo a spin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Instant casts for certain skills is a great idea.

remember posted:

I followed a build guide and it probably took me 20ish hours to run through the campaign, and I found the later acts to be really tough to get through. If someone went in blind I can see that totally being his experience.

I looked around the internet for some ideas, and also brought some ideas from other online games I've played a lot (constitution/vitality is not a dump stat lol) and am currently level 83 I think, and still having fun. I did stumble into the most broken skill in the game right now apparently though, arc is just amazing

I think it's just the sort of game that you either love or hate, depending on how much you like to try out different and stupid things. I absolutely thrived playing stupid builds nobody else considered in ragnarok online and diablo 2, so this is extremely my cup of tea. I think my next build is going to be a melee occultist. :v:

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Just made it to maps for the first time (with someones help on the last boss)

A couple questions I have

1) How do you know what items are good, what stats should I look for?

2) I tried a Tornado deadshot dead eye this league, Do they offer a tanky life leach build for a tank? (I know patch notes arent yet either so builds are up in the air still)

3) Is map farming effective or will I have to drop out of maps to farm more maps to go back in?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Turd Herder posted:

2) I tried a Tornado deadshot dead eye this league, Do they offer a tanky life leach build for a tank? (I know patch notes arent yet either so builds are up in the air still)

3) Is map farming effective or will I have to drop out of maps to farm more maps to go back in?

1) You don't
2)
3) Do you mean getting map drops? They're semi-sustainable. You won't run out, though you're likely to have to slowly drop down a few tiers until you get a rash of good drops. Invite Zana to your hideout; she sells some you can use if you run low. You can also buy them via trade, which is what a lot of us end up doing if we run out of the current tier we're at.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Turd Herder posted:

Low tier maps (1-5) rain from the sky, you won't have to drop out of maps. Even mid tier maps (6-10) are very common. In the short run sometimes you can have some bad luck and have to drop down a tier or two, but you won't ever have to drop out of maps entirely. Note that high maps (tiers 11-16) are a different ballgame, and 15s/16s are not meant to be sustained.

Regarding a tanky build, do you mean a tanky deadeye? Or a tanky anything. "Tanky" is a really broad term in this game and could mean a lot of things.

As far as figuring out what items are good, here's a blurb I wrote a while back about that.

J posted:

For pricing most things, http://poe.ninja/ is really useful. Select your league in the top right. For unique items, if it has variable stat rolls, check and see how good yours is. Turn on advanced tooltips in the options and press ALT while moused over the item to see the roll ranges. For some items this greatly influences the price, and poe.ninja will only show you the price of what lovely ones are selling for so you'll have to click through to poe.trade and see what good rolls are going for.

Pricing rare items is an art form and there is a ton that could be written about it. But at the end of the day, 99% of the rares you pick up are garbage. The ones that are sellable probably aren't worth much. Valuable stuff you basically have to check poe.trade and search for similar items, and make a judgement call about how you price your item. As the league goes on, the bare minimum for what is "sellable" increases as well. You can sell stuff on the opening weekend that becomes vendor trash on the 2nd weekend. Also the current league mods, and popular builds of the time, will greatly influence the value of things. That said, here's some quick, rough guidelines as to what to look for when trying to figure out at a glance if something is valuable.

Weapons - You want the damage mods to synchronize and to generally all be of the same type of damage. 250 physical dps + 100 elemental dps is not anywhere near as good as 350 physical dps because most builds focus on scaling 1 or the other but not both. For physical weapons, increased phys% damage, Added X-Y physical damage, and attack speed are king. For elemental attack weapons, added X-Y fire/lightning/cold damage and attack speed are king. For caster weapons, spell damage/elemental damage and cast speed are almost always good. As a general rule for any weapon, critical strike chance and critical strike multiplier are very good as well. Note that critical strike chance and critical strike chance for spells are 2 different mods!

Body armor - Rare body armor has a ton of competition. There aren't that many mods in the pool to roll, so getting good life/resist rolls isn't too hard. There are many good uniques, and inexpensive divination card sets that reward 6 link white body armors. Slap an essence that gives max life on one of those and you have a very serviceable item for cheap. Realistically you could go the entire league without picking up a single rare body armor and not miss out on anything. That said, you want BIG life/resists on these, along with either high armor/evasion/ES depending on the base.

Boots - Movement speed is everything on boots. Much like armor, there aren't too many mods in the pool, so getting good life/resists rolls is pretty easy. The movement speed is what will make or break the price on these. Boots with no movement speed are drat near unsellable even if their other stats are amazing.

Belts - Life, resists, elemental damage with attacks, flask effect duration, flask charges gained are what you want here.

Gloves - Life, resists, attack speed, X-Y physical damage, and mana leech are all useful mods here.

Helm - Life, resists, big armor/evasion/ES depending on the base. +2 minion helms have potential on ES bases.

Rings/Amulets - Unlike all the other armor slots above, jewelry can roll a lot more offensive stats in addition to the usual life/resists. The base type also is significant - coral amulets are garbage, onyx amulets are good. Paua rings aren't good, diamond rings are. While life/resists are still great on jewelry (especially the +all resists mod which only counts as 1 mod), that alone typically won't make something too valuable unless the rolls are just huge. Flat physical/elemental damage, attack/cast speed, elemental damage with attacks, cold/fire/lightning damage are what can really balloon the value of these items in conjunction with some life/resists.

Note that on any item, a big strength/dex/int roll can be a game changer on the price. There are builds that want to stack stats and want stats in every slot. Then there are builds that are stat starved and just need 24 more dex to run some really important gem and all of a sudden your otherwise decent item that happens to have 30 dex on it is now looking a lot more appealing.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Map farming quickly becomes self sustaining, higher tier maps are difficult to sustain but it happens eventually.

Plenty of tanky melee builds, that won't change much this patch.

Good items is something that comes with time, hard to generalize what makes stuff worth trading.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Whats the suggested amount of +% life these days? Im probably going to do a sword and shield build with idk frost blades or something since its hard to gently caress those builds up

e: and is armor good now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Whats the suggested amount of +% life these days? Im probably going to do a sword and shield build with idk frost blades or something since its hard to gently caress those builds up

e: and is armor good now??

Armour has always been good, but you need to use it as part of a layer of defenses (flasks, endurance charges, evasion, dodge, phys-to-ele conversion etc). I'm a HC player that likes to go tanky, so I usually go for 200%+ life on normal life builds, 220%+ on melee life builds and 170% ish on MoM builds.