Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

Pro tip: if he's the one paying you he already knows how much/little you're making.

Sure, doesn't mean they know what that actually means.

edit: to contribute, JD: You do deserve better. 100%. Please ask for better. How exactly you decide to do it is your call, but do it sooner rather than later, because you deserve it. If it were me, I'd just say the realities. "Hey, you promised me a raise, and while I appreciate what you've done so far, $2.25/day works out to basically $0.25/hour raise [sidenote, that's like 3%, which is a completely bullshit raise], and less than $500/year after taxes. It doesn't feel sufficient for my increased responsibilities, especially when they're being asked of me when I'm not the only lead in the kitchen. I feel like I'm worth $X to you, and that my work reflects that every day."

Get in there and fuckin' get 'em, JD. Show 'em who's the boss (hint: you're the boss, they gave you the title, they should give you the pay too).

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
thats the kind of poo poo you pull when you have an offer in writing, on the line, when for whatever reason you wanna give your current boss a last chance to gently caress you over just to prove you were right to put your resume out in the first place. even in culinary I've know folk who made that maneuver work.

you have that? fine. ultimatum to your heart's content. but never EVER do that if you're unwilling to make your work situation insanely hosed up, indefinitely.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 20, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Quick question, what kind of mixer is this at ~2:32 in the video? It's not a planetary mixer, it has 2 arms and I've never seen one like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ir5BAMz6Lc

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Man and his Hog posted:

It really is amazing I haven’t been fired from this job. It’s def the sienfeld episode with George.

I’ve been caught drinking in the bathroom, I’ve shown up drunk, I’ve no called no show, and yet I’m the main waiter.

Actually just lol.

Beyond the fact that you're an admitted attempted piece-of-poo poo rapist, this ... is not something to be proud of.

In any way.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Quick question, what kind of mixer is this at ~2:32 in the video? It's not a planetary mixer, it has 2 arms and I've never seen one like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ir5BAMz6Lc
Double arm mixer
http://elianiimpastatrici.altervista.org/eliani-double-arm-mixer.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

Beyond the fact that you're an admitted attempted piece-of-poo poo rapist, this ... is not something to be proud of.

In any way.

What are you doing in the restaurant thread Timby? Your aren't working in restaurants now?

Also yes, he's a loving rapist, but we ignore it in this thread because he has funny stories sometimes and it operates as a sorta quarantine from the rest of the forums.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks, Maestro, this is exactly the sort of slap in the face I need. Like I said, I'm a total anxiety-ridden wet noodle about things (but manages to make a stew with said noodles). These hearty pat-on-the-back posts are getting me geared up to talk to the boss tomorrow, keep 'em comin' guys.

Edit: I guess I'm just scared as poo poo that if I make a threat, they'll fire me. As it is, my husband & I are living paycheck to paycheck, so I'm in a Stockholme Syndrome of "must do what paycheck cutter says, or you will die". And I live in a biggish city, but small enough that if I piss off my boss, will I get blacklisted from any industry jobs? This is why I can't sleep at night. :(

For what it's worth, I've never even heard of anyone getting meaningfully blacklisted that wasn't a thief or constantly drugged up.

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand how people are expected to live off 9.75 an hour, I get that I live in California and pay an insane amount of rent compared to boring places, but still, at 40 hours a week that's less than 400 bucks a week.

Do you get overtime on the days you're working ten and a half hours for those last 2 and a half hours?

Frankly, they don't give a gently caress.

A 'living wage' for a single person out here in the middle of nowhere Iowa is still $10.50 an hour, and the fast food places here are up to offering $10 because unemployment has gotten low enough that they have to pay people to work.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 21, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

What are you doing in the restaurant thread Timby? Your aren't working in restaurants now?

Also yes, he's a loving rapist, but we ignore it in this thread because he has funny stories sometimes and it operates as a sorta quarantine from the rest of the forums.

There are plenty of ex-restaurant folks in this thread, myself included. We wistfully remember the glory days of (in my case) being behind a disgusting nightclub bar, 6 deep, making money hand over fist while dealing with the drunkest, dumbest customers on the planet. Then I remember I'm in my 30's now, not my early 20's, my knees and back would hate me for it (not to mention my liver), and I'm glad it stays a memory. But it's still fun to come shoot the poo poo here.

Liquid Communism posted:

A 'living wage' for a single person out here in the middle of nowhere Iowa is still $10.50 an hour, and the fast food places here are up to offering $10 because unemployment has gotten low enough that they have to pay people to work.

No kidding. I read this article in The Atlantic recently about Des Moines, which is facing nearly full employment. It even quotes a restaurant owner about him having to raise wages and offer vacation to his employees to bring people on, there are so few people out there looking for work. It's The Atlantic so they did it tactfully (and it's Iowa so he was probably polite anyway), but you can almost hear the dude muttering under his breath about how much it sucks having to actually pay people to show up, and not just bang through a stack of resumes until you find the people willing to work the hardest for the least amount of money.

quote:

Competition for workers has gone crazy, Joe McConville, who co-owns a popular chain of made-from-scratch pizza restaurants, told me. “At almost every restaurant that I’ve worked at, you always had a stack of applications waiting,” he said. “You’d call somebody up and half the time they're still looking for an extra job. That’s not happening anymore.” He said he faced a “black hole” in terms of finding more experienced twenty-something employees, and that to compete he has paid out higher wages and added vacation days.

The state has relatively low housing costs, unlike in many big cities and coastal areas. But the steep and rising cost of child care has proven particularly daunting to young workers, single mothers, and families with multiple kids, experts said. “There are are a couple of companies here that do have child care on site, though I don’t think it’s easy to get your kids in there,” said Julie Fugenschuh, the executive director of Project IOWA, a training initiative for local workers. (That is where Salmond found his leg-up into the jobs market.) “But there’s still this cliff, around $13 or $15. If you are making less than that, you can’t take a job. And we are not seeing too many companies go over it.”

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 21, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shooting Blanks posted:

There are plenty of ex-restaurant folks in this thread, myself included. We wistfully remember the glory days of (in my case) being behind a disgusting nightclub bar, 6 deep, making money hand over fist while dealing with the drunkest, dumbest customers on the planet. Then I remember I'm in my 30's now, not my early 20's, my knees and back would hate me for it (not to mention my liver), and I'm glad it stays a memory. But it's still fun to come shoot the poo poo here.

I'm ex-BOH at this point myself, because when the bakery I worked for went under, I got a lucky break to get into the tech business. My knees, back, and liver agree with yours, although I fight the temptation to run a farmers' market stall or something to keep my hand in...

That restaurant owner is pretty normal for the industry. He's looking for 'experienced mid-20's workers' and unwilling to pay them more than highschool wages because when the market was poo poo he didn't have to. Meanwhile the local building trade unions are paying apprentices ~$15 an hour to get candidates who'll stick.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 21, 2018

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it’s the same with my place. Owner doesn’t understand why we can’t keep anyone when he pays them $8-$9 an hour....

Meanwhile we our busy AF and a supreme large is like $22.99

He also did a lateral move and raised the delivery fee to loving $2.99

So now customers are telling the drivers well that $2.99 is your tip. Lmao $1.50 of that goes to the driver.

Woooo son, capitalism baby!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If I could make the money/land/equipment work, I would 100% without a doubt have a small 50 acre farm. Family are farmers, so I know the reality of it(huzzah for being cash poor!), but man, I'd make money hand over fist in the Austin market. A lovely, lean as gently caress "organic" goose runs about $90-120 at the farmers market here.

Not to poo poo on our local farmers, but almost none of them have any farming experience, no biology/veterinary/chemistry background. Most seem to think that because they managed to grow an heirloom thing without being too hosed up by aphids/grasshoppers that they are Real Farmers now!

And don't even get WillieTomg started on the local mushroom crops. Jesus Christ.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

bizwank posted:

There is always an implication, when asking for a raise, that you might leave if you don't get it. This way you proactively establish a legitimate need, an imbalance in the relationship if you will, and avoid the assumption that you're merely being greedy or flighty. It also doubles as a litmus test to see if your boss gives a poo poo about you as a person, or if they only see you as as a working unit who they will exploit for as much labor as they can for the least about of money possible.

Don't do this. You never ask for a raise because you are poor and need it. She deserves it. They promoted her and promised her a raise and didn't do it. That's bullshit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don't do this. You never ask for a raise because you are poor and need it. She deserves it. They promoted her and promised her a raise and didn't do it. That's bullshit.

This. If they want to give someone additional responsibility (in any job!) then they need to offer something in return. Direct compensation is the most obvious, especially in hospitality, but it could be any number of things.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I love how I got my raise and didn’t even ask for it.... But it was due.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You're taking what I said out of context. Obviously the "promotion" with a promised raise that never came is bullshit and they should stop doing the extra work until they get the extra pay they deserve. I was speaking to the pathetic $9 base rate that hadn't gone up in nearly a year, and a couple different ways of approaching that without sounding like they were threatening to quit.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
every bit of professional advice i've seen on raise negotiation is to clearly list what skills you bring to the team, what you've accomplished recently, what new responsibility you're planning to take on, and what you believe all of that to be worth

employers are always going to respond better when you sell yourself than when you seem to be begging

and who cares about the implicit threat that you might leave? that's the one saving grace of the industry, you can walk into any other kitchen in the region and likely as not be hired on the spot, and that's even in times when unemployment isn't at record lows.

i knew this before i left the industry from my time working in management, but in the time since i've had it driven home to an even greater degree by the white color world. even if your boss is cool and considerate and great, they are not your friend. be polite, be professional, be a team player, but don't try to be their friend and don't try to frame your communications to them through emotion

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thank you all for your help, advice, and confidence boosters on my situation. I have all the self-esteem of an area rug (even my KM has called me out for beating myself up so much), so the idea of straight-up asking for a raise is really hard. The myriad posts of "you deserve that raise, JD!" are a big help, they're genuinely making me :unsmith:. and bolstering my ability to walk into the boss's office and try to get that extra 75 cents for every hour I work.

Extra advice needed. The lead whose position I "took": called out at the first sign of a snowflake (omg it's too dangerous to drive), came in reeking of weed, and bossed around everyone else to do prep/dish while she dicked around on her phone. Yet she got a raise for all of her hours when she got bumped to lead back in the winter slump when our labor costs were through the loving roof. Do I bring this up as further evidence I deserve a raise, Y/N?
Edit: my point being, if she got a full raise with that track record, should I bring that up when explaining why I deserve one? Or is that just being petty?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 23, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thank you all for your help, advice, and confidence boosters on my situation. I have all the self-esteem of an area rug (even my KM has called me out for beating myself up so much), so the idea of straight-up asking for a raise is really hard. The myriad posts of "you deserve that raise, JD!" are a big help, they're genuinely making me :unsmith:. and bolstering my ability to walk into the boss's office and try to get that extra 75 cents for every hour I work.

Extra advice needed. The lead whose position I "took": called out at the first sign of a snowflake (omg it's too dangerous to drive), came in reeking of weed, and bossed around everyone else to do prep/dish while she dicked around on her phone. Yet she got a raise for all of her hours when she got bumped to lead back in the winter slump when our labor costs were through the loving roof. Do I bring this up as further evidence I deserve a raise, Y/N?

I wouldn't phrase it like that, but the previous lead getting a raise for all the hours they worked is certainly salient to the conversation.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't phrase it like that, but the previous lead getting a raise for all the hours they worked is certainly salient to the conversation.

Heard, thanks. :)

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Get that raise.

You deserve it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes get your raise. You're a good person Jaccqe <3.

I never have much to talk about here. But I'm tired from only 4 hours of sleep. One guy got fired recently for being lovely to people out front in the Bistro area at the hospital. And one of my other coworkers got another, better paying job, at a steak house. Him, I won't miss, he was a slacker. But I'll miss the other girl. She worked hard, and she was my counterpart on the weekends on the other side of the line for patient room service.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I told the boss the new fry cook goes to the bathroom fifteen times and doesn't wash his hands. "Oh. Keep an eye on him."

Okay. :shrek:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Your boss is going to have a blast when you get shut down and quarantined for giving someone hepatitis!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Edit: my point being, if she got a full raise with that track record, should I bring that up when explaining why I deserve one? Or is that just being petty?
You got sort of promoted in a halfsies kind of way, yeah? But it sounds like you’re being treated as if it’s a full-time thing.

“Hey boss. Half the time I’m getting paid for my promotion and half the time I’m not. But I’m getting treated as if I’ve been promoted all the time. This doesn’t work for me - how about you make me promoted all the time and pay me for it all the time? It’s a role I want and here’s a list of reasons I’m good at it which is why you should do it.”

Dress it up or dress it down as needed for your boss. If the answer is no and you don’t get a legit good reason, think hard about looking for a better place to work. Edit: general job advice, not specific kitchen job advice.

So a big tech company is moving into a bunch of floors at my building - full buildouts. One floor has a brand new big tech company kitchen, and everything drains down to a big 4’x4’x8’ grease trap. Located on the second floor in a closet in the middle of office space. A closet designed without an exhaust fan. Hmmmmmmmm.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
They'll have to add one, fire inspector won't approve use of equipment if the grease trap doesn't have proper ventilation/aeration. Ours didn't have enough, and had to be modified before we would be allowed to use the kitchens.

e: Can we legalize marijuana already, by the way? I'm ready to make mountains of cash from developing and selling edibles. At $30 for 100mg of THC, I'd make around $1500 net profit per oz of bud. Not to mention the profit margins on shake.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 25, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm, I fail to see any problems with that idea. :thunk:
Nope, none at all. :hmmyes:

Also yes legalize weed, gay space weed or otherwise.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've never seen so many grown rear end people get so pissed off since our restaurant went strawless a few weeks ago.

Good god almighty white people lose it over the dumbest poo poo.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Field Mousepad posted:

I've never seen so many grown rear end people get so pissed off since our restaurant went strawless a few weeks ago.

I mean, it disproportionately effects disabled people and doesn't really do anything about plastic waste (most plastic in the ocean is from commercial fishing nets) but go off

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
We use acrylic straws that we wash and reuse, and we've heard zero complaints. They're also like ten cents apiece so if one gets stolen or bent or whatever it's not a big deal at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

poop dood posted:

We use acrylic straws that we wash and reuse, and we've heard zero complaints. They're also like ten cents apiece so if one gets stolen or bent or whatever it's not a big deal at all.

Wow, an owner that actually doesn't sweat the small stuff in terms of items and will shell out?

What country are you in?

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Field Mousepad posted:

We switched to paper straws and woooo boy did we get backlash. This is the south. The turtles lost.

We switching back to plastic. I’m sorry turtle 🐢

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

number 1 snake fan posted:

I mean, it disproportionately effects disabled people and doesn't really do anything about plastic waste (most plastic in the ocean is from commercial fishing nets) but go off

Assuming you didn't already know this. White people, namely right wingers, are going nuts over the straw ban because it OWNS THE LIBS. Because allegedly we hate plastic straws.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate small children

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iospace posted:

I hate small children

I don't, loving despise their parents though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skwirl posted:

I don't, loving despise their parents though.

As I walked up to my car today from the store 2 little shits left alone in the car next to me threw multiple pieces of chewed gum against my car door from their car and started laughing.

I wanted to wait for the parents to come out and start screaming at them. Instead I just told the kids that doing that isn't funny and left.

I wasn't mad at the kids. I was livid at the loving parents.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Oh hell no, with me. That’s me kicking those little shits parents car, harassing the kids, or calling the cops for leaving children unattended in a car.

Probably best you did none of that though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
People who want the sauce on the side should be beaten into submission.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Animal-Mother posted:

People who want the sauce on the side should be beaten into submission.

What about sauce on the side and the sandwich?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Guys now I am the annoying customer asking whether you take American Express

Being out of the industry is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

number 1 snake fan posted:

Without getting into the weeds, the "disproportionately effects disabled people" is a bullshit whataboutism from the right wing and its proxies, who are ignoring that all straw ban laws have exceptions for people who need straws. Although straws are a small amount of plastic waste by volume, they pose specific fragmentation and hazard issues that other larger sources don't.