Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Selachian posted:

Just finished my binge rewatch (in my wife's case, first time watch) last night with "Objects in Motion," "Objects at Rest," and "Sleeping in Light" last night. Needless to say, there was way too much dust in the ol' living room.

I seriously think the back half of season 5 is even stronger than most of season 4. It's just such an emotionally satisfying journey at that point, maybe with the exception of incel Lennier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sleeping in Liiiiiight :qq:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tragedienne posted:

That being said, it seems like 80% of the time Security opens fire with a PPG, they then check the target's pulse, and confirm they are dead. Is the PPG just that consistently lethal? Do they not have lower settings, or something less lethal?

It's not meant to be a non-lethal weapon, the only reason they don't use bullets is because they don't want to accidentally puncture the hull. It's not an energy weapon. It fires little blobs of super-heated helium plasma.

hope and vaseline posted:

I seriously think the back half of season 5 is even stronger than most of season 4. It's just such an emotionally satisfying journey at that point, maybe with the exception of incel Lennier.

I don't think that's the right term. Lennier didn't hate all women for rejecting him, he was in love with a specific woman who loved a different man.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Since there are a number of goons checking out B5 for the first time or doing a rewatch this seems like an excellent time to mention my podcast, The Name of the Pod. It’s an episode by episode discussion of issues and themes, not so much a recap. We’re just starting season 3. People seem to like it, I dunno.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-name-of-the-pod-a-babylon-5-podcast/id1244239639?mt=2

https://overcast.fm/+JPEQCCfkA

https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's not meant to be a non-lethal weapon, the only reason they don't use bullets is because they don't want to accidentally puncture the hull. It's not an energy weapon. It fires little blobs of super-heated helium plasma.

I guess it depends on whether you think something can only be an energy weapon if it directly transmits EM radiation/radioactive particles to the target, or if a contact transmission medium is acceptable. Is a stun gun an energy weapon? What about a taser? Would a super powerful hair dryer count, or only if it was a Martian heat ray and the hot air blast was incidental?

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

head58 posted:

Since there are a number of goons checking out B5 for the first time or doing a rewatch this seems like an excellent time to mention my podcast, The Name of the Pod. It’s an episode by episode discussion of issues and themes, not so much a recap. We’re just starting season 3. People seem to like it, I dunno.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-name-of-the-pod-a-babylon-5-podcast/id1244239639?mt=2

https://overcast.fm/+JPEQCCfkA

https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod/

Gonna check this out now that The Audio Guide to Babylon 5 is about to wrap up...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tragedienne posted:

That being said, it seems like 80% of the time Security opens fire with a PPG, they then check the target's pulse, and confirm they are dead. Is the PPG just that consistently lethal? Do they not have lower settings, or something less lethal?

No lower power less-lethal mode to a PPG, very deliberately.

When JMS used to chat with fans on Usenet, he was fond of making GBS threads on Star Trek's phasers by saying that "Stun settings are for people who can't commit."

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 25, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No lower power less-lethal mode to a PPG, bery deliberately.

When JMS used to chat with fans on Usenet, he was fond of making GBS threads on Star Trek's phasers by saying that "Stun settings are for people who can't commit."

I mean that's not only fair but also pretty representative of when you should choose to shoot someone

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tragedienne posted:

It's just a sensible police thing, to make sure the suspect's actually dead and not about to sit up and shoot them in the back or make a break for it the moment Security looks away.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

McSpanky posted:

I guess it depends on whether you think something can only be an energy weapon if it directly transmits EM radiation/radioactive particles to the target, or if a contact transmission medium is acceptable. Is a stun gun an energy weapon? What about a taser? Would a super powerful hair dryer count, or only if it was a Martian heat ray and the hot air blast was incidental?

All right, fine, it is not a directed energy weapon. It is not pure energy, it fires projectiles made of solid matter. Energetic matter, but not pure energy. A blob of superheated plasma doesn't have a "stun" setting, and one impacting your body is probably going to ruin your whole day. The power they usually use it on is most likely the lower setting because you get off fewer shots the more power you use per shot.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

All right, fine, it is not a directed energy weapon. It is not pure energy, it fires projectiles made of solid matter. Energetic matter, but not pure energy. A blob of superheated plasma doesn't have a "stun" setting, and one impacting your body is probably going to ruin your whole day. The power they usually use it on is most likely the lower setting because you get off fewer shots the more power you use per shot.

I'd definitely class a plasma gun as a DEW. Much like I wouldn't call a particle beam a kinetic weapon.
Sure, the plasma isn't only energy, but the plasma is the directing bit of directed energy weapon, if you will.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

I don't think that's the right term. Lennier didn't hate all women for rejecting him, he was in love with a specific woman who loved a different man.

One who he dedicated his life to, who in turn had eyes for a worthy but lesser species.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's also the military grade PPGs we see occasionally. They're the "forget wounding, we're frying tonight!" option.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

B5 guns were a revelation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

There's also the military grade PPGs we see occasionally. They're the "forget wounding, we're frying tonight!" option.

The PPG's do canonically have variable settings according to JMS, it's just that they start at "cauterize" and go up to "well-done".

They'll also melt through bulkheads and airlock hatches with sustained fire, which is a lot of heat to throw around.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Am I misremembering but don't a few main characters get shot with them throughout the series? I know, plot armour wins out, but it would indicate that it's not always fatal. I think I also recall an autopsy report from someone killed with one, it sounded quite grisly...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marmaduke! posted:

Am I misremembering but don't a few main characters get shot with them throughout the series? I know, plot armour wins out, but it would indicate that it's not always fatal. I think I also recall an autopsy report from someone killed with one, it sounded quite grisly...

Low-power is fatal in the same way a small-calibre bullet can be fatal; It's all about where it actually hits you. Because it's a plasma weapon it has to burn through skin and muscle to get anything vital, and it's not going to leave a lot of internal bleeding the way a bullet would even if it hit an artery. A PPG set to full-power is going to fry its way right into your torso, organs and all, and that is going to ruin your day regardless of where it hits.

Plus the main cast and security officers tend to actually use body armor most of the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Low-power is fatal in the same way a small-calibre bullet can be fatal; It's all about where it actually hits you. Because it's a plasma weapon it has to burn through skin and muscle to get anything vital, and it's not going to leave a lot of internal bleeding the way a bullet would even if it hit an artery. A PPG set to full-power is going to fry its way right into your torso, organs and all, and that is going to ruin your day regardless of where it hits.

Plus the main cast and security officers tend to actually use body armor most of the time.

Garibaldi gets shot in the back with a PPG and would have died without the alien healing machine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Almost half way through season 5, and I am going to just pretend none of this is canon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Almost half way through season 5, and I am going to just pretend none of this is canon.

If you're still in the telepath arc, just hang in until it's over. Things get much better once it's done. And you will know exactly when it's finished.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're still in the telepath arc, just hang in until it's over. Things get much better once it's done. And you will know exactly when it's finished.

The telepath arc is horrible, but what really pisses me off is G'Kar being a body guard to Londo. :/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

The telepath arc is horrible, but what really pisses me off is G'Kar being a body guard to Londo. :/

Then you've missed the whole point of their arc; In a sick kind of way, G'Kar is now the only person Londo can trust. If G'Kar was going to kill him, it'd be face-to-face rather than some underhanded scheme.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then you've missed the whole point of their arc; In a sick kind of way, G'Kar is now the only person Londo can trust. If G'Kar was going to kill him, it'd be face-to-face rather than some underhanded scheme.

That's such bullshit. G'Kar would never go along with being a body guard. It makes absolutely no sense. Plus in season 5, Zack Allen learns absolutely nothing from his him in the Night Watch and goes back to being a space nazi.

I refuse to accept G'Kar and Londos relationship in season 5 makes sense and isn't just bullshit fan pandering. It literally just happens out of the blue.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 25, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I said come in! posted:

Plus in season 5, Zack Allen learns absolutely nothing from his him in the Night Watch and goes back to being a space nazi.

I mean he was always a cop

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also Londo knows exactly how, where and when G'Kar is going to kill him. Just not why.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

That's such bullshit. G'Kar would never go along with being a body guard. It makes absolutely no sense. Plus in season 5, Zack Allen learns absolutely nothing from his him in the Night Watch and goes back to being a space nazi.

I refuse to accept G'Kar and Londos relationship in season 5 makes sense and isn't just bullshit fan pandering. It literally just happens out of the blue.

Then you missed the whole part of G'Kar's arc in season 3 as well.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

G'kar was bodyguard was just weird to me because G'kar just has so much going on.

Like in between authoring critical documents for the alliance, and being an elder statesman and revolutionary figure twice over for his people now he's gotta follow Londo around.

I'm mid season 5 and just wrapped up the Byron storyline, but what ever happend to Ta'Lon?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Just because characters on screen say G'Kar is a bodyguard doesn't mean he's a bodyguard. Precisely how many attempts on Londo's life has he foiled? How many had there been before he took the "job" and how many since? How is this "bodyguard" armed? Do either of the two characters seem to take that duty seriously?

He is Londo's "bodyguard" because that offers a convenient excuse for him to remain in Londo's presence at all times. (After a certain point that won't work any more, of course.) And it sounds like you're blaming S5 for something we saw in S4: a complex relationship building between the two characters that moves from an alliance of convenience to a real friendship. "I will sign my name... but not on the same page. You understand that..." Granted, the process could have played out a little longer if S4 hadn't gotten somewhat compressed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

jerry seinfel posted:

G'kar was bodyguard was just weird to me because G'kar just has so much going on.

Like in between authoring critical documents for the alliance, and being an elder statesman and revolutionary figure twice over for his people now he's gotta follow Londo around.

I'm mid season 5 and just wrapped up the Byron storyline, but what ever happend to Ta'Lon?

You'll find out soon!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then you missed the whole part of G'Kar's arc in season 3 as well.

I didn't miss anything.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I said come in! posted:

I didn't miss anything.

That's not what you said in your earlier posts

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Londo and G'Kar stuck in the elevator is now my most favorite sci-fi thing of the 90s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Londo and G'Kar stuck in the elevator is now my most favorite sci-fi thing of the 90s.

You and ... I'd wager just about everyone who has seen B5 :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

And really all the other decades in human history.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

HELLO! Can anyone HEAR me?

I can hear you...

:laugh:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Season 3 gettin' real :stare:

Show is great. But I totally was too young to "get" it when it broadcast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

My sister got addicted to SF aged about 7 when she came home from school and I was watching my videos of S1.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Same, it's bizarre to me that my parents had me watching it during its original broadcast since I'm still only in my 20s today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
My sticker arrived a little while back. Thanks again Pick! :yayclod: