Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
nah man we can keep it going if you like, i put that "the end" there because that sentence says all there was to my intent about calling out dumbass posts in this loving thread lol

this game truly is magic man, good heavens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
uh, content, the ostermark bowman skin for kruber looks pimp as hell with the fur hat cosmetic, you look like some badass russian border cop from the renaissance. i rock the halberd and handgun, an axe would be more accurate for the kislevite/actual russian streltsy look but it works

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 24, 2018

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arghy posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not. If you're some sort of psycho that doesn't play for loot then just play with bots alone please don't bring your insanity into QP.

This is like planetside 2's blue ops/chill ops drama. Some people play the game for different reasons but in the end this is a team game, if you're playing some strange RP game while 3 other people are playing normal ratfight then you're just gonna stress everyone out. This is why we need the improved bot mod ASAP.

if im playing champion and i have a fun game and i dont get a generals chest im some sort of psycho? it's twenty minutes spent killing rats. yall act like there has to be some kind of super-optimized playing done here when we all already have the items we want. we got all the loot we could ever need and you can just craft a new one with the massive amount of scrap. The loot doesn't make the game for me, it's just a bonus.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The thing is you're affecting everyone elses loot, i want new cosmetics, reds, illusions. If we're not trying to get all books then i'm wasting my time because i want to get all the books. I've had people who clearly didn't want to do an all book run gently caress up on purpose to spite me because i insisted on doing a full book run.

It's a team game when everyone isn't on the same page you're going to have trouble. If you have 3 people on the same page doing a full book run then 1 person joins who gets salty because they don't wanna do a full book run then you get poo poo like them purposefully eating the grim or leaving behind a tome after a drop down. I've seen it all and usually just leave the game when people casually miss the first tome/grim on purpose because i know i'm in the wrong game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tbqh leaving in potentially game breaking geometery bugs in a game full of bugs because it makes the game slightly easier sounds dumb.

They should fix their stupid design tho.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've stopped caring about chests months ago and I still go for all the books, you're a pussy if you don't

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mendrian posted:

Tbqh leaving in potentially game breaking geometery bugs in a game full of bugs because it makes the game slightly easier sounds dumb.

They should fix their stupid design tho.

Nobody on Earth exists--in a meaningful sense of that word--who says "the Chaos Warrior Ice-Capades are fine and the concept of tying unlocks to pickups in the level may or may not stand to have a revision pass given the changes in the loot scheme, but y'know what really grinds my goddamned gears? that people are able to grab the 2nd tome on Against The Grain without doubling back, being able to do that could be potentially gamebreaking"

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 24, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What I find really baffling is that apparently it was unintended for you to be able to grab them from below, and somehow it still took them half a year to patch. I figured it was kind of a shortcut for people in the know.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Nobody on Earth exists--in a meaningful sense of that word--who says "the Chaos Warrior Ice-Capades are fine and the concept of tying unlocks to pickups in the level may or may not stand to have a revision pass given the changes in the loot scheme, but y'know what really grinds my goddamned gears? that people are able to grab the 2nd tome on Against The Grain without doubling back, being able to do that could be potentially gamebreaking"

But this requires reading intent into loving patch notes.

If you were fixing level geometry bugs already, why would you not fix those?

Honesly, if you want to read anything into it, it's probably that those were the easiest bugs to fix. Which is if anything just lazy.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

What I find really baffling is that apparently it was unintended for you to be able to grab them from below, and somehow it still took them half a year to patch. I figured it was kind of a shortcut for people in the know.

Yeah i always assumed you could grab it through the walls if you knew where it was because you clearly already knew where it was so why bother slowing you down anymore. I never got why the grim in empire in flames wasn't able to be grabbed this way. It takes just as long going into the house and pinging it through the walls as someone who's good at the jumping puzzle to quickly grab it. I really enjoy the linear tomes/grims of skittergate and wish they did more of those with a few levels being absolute mazes. I'd love a level that was basically a giant depression with multiple ways to get to the bottom of the depression but at the same time you could see the entire level from the start. It would be hell to coordinate but at the same time you'd have this sense of a chase as you scurried through either the alleys or jumped over the roofs.

I'm DLing the beta to check out the hammer+shield so i'll give a review once i tried it out.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arghy posted:

The thing is you're affecting everyone elses loot, i want new cosmetics, reds, illusions. If we're not trying to get all books then i'm wasting my time because i want to get all the books. I've had people who clearly didn't want to do an all book run gently caress up on purpose to spite me because i insisted on doing a full book run.

It's a team game when everyone isn't on the same page you're going to have trouble. If you have 3 people on the same page doing a full book run then 1 person joins who gets salty because they don't wanna do a full book run then you get poo poo like them purposefully eating the grim or leaving behind a tome after a drop down. I've seen it all and usually just leave the game when people casually miss the first tome/grim on purpose because i know i'm in the wrong game.

so do you just quit a game and leave 3 people hanging if someone dies with a grim?

edit: i also never said I don't go for full runs, i just feel like the self-loathing in this thread keeps chugging along if you say not getting a generals chest is a waste of your precious time. the fun part is killing rats not unboxing poo poo.

Up Circle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 25, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine how much more fun the ratfights would be if bitching about xp, loadouts, and cosmetics, and specifically the stupid loving books tied to them, was gone

Again, make grims be some dumb mechanic that gives you x buff if you take the hard road on a given level, akin to getting assault rifles and autoshotguns in l4d instead of lame starting guns, instead of tying them to the omfg so important stat grind

Like who the gently caress seriously enjoys the "DWARF DWARF NO GET THE TOME DONT DROP DOWN YET?? WHO HAS THE KEY?? WAIT WHY SKIP FIRST TOME BUT GET GRIM KRUBER" poo poo that the books encourage even in a team of kitted-out 300s? They require 0 mechanical knowledge and 100% "watch the youtube video" knowledge and they're a loving tedious side-chore in the game where you run through a level hitting rats with swords. They're also absolutely nonsensical to a new player who thinks "oh cool co op ratpunching fps"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 25, 2018

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Tried the hammer+shield on ranger, only had 1 game because i crashed on the other 2 i tried. It was doing 14 body shot damage with a push attack for body shot and 22 on head shot to the armored dummy. I'd just chain charged and push attacks whenever a CW showed up, definitely felt better than the axe+shield because light attacks would handle unarmored enemies easy. The ranger nerf loving sucks balls, disengage is useless as all hell now except when you want to unload a shotgun into a boss/patrol. I did gun down 3 CW's at the end of empire in flames when a patrol spawned in our face though.

I hope they do this to all weapons, the hammer+shield definitely still isn't the meta but its close and very enjoyable to play with now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine how much more fun the ratfights would be if bitching about xp, loadouts, and cosmetics, and specifically the stupid loving books tied to them, was gone

Again, make grims be some dumb mechanic that gives you x buff if you take the hard road on a given level, akin to getting assault rifles and autoshotguns in l4d instead of lame starting guns, instead of tying them to the omfg so important stat grind

Like who the gently caress seriously enjoys the "DWARF DWARF NO GET THE TOME DONT DROP DOWN YET?? WHO HAS THE KEY?? WAIT WHY SKIP FIRST TOME BUT GET GRIM KRUBER" poo poo that the books encourage even in a team of kitted-out 300s? They require 0 mechanical knowledge and 100% "watch the youtube video" knowledge and they're a loving tedious side-chore in the game where you run through a level hitting rats with swords. They're also absolutely nonsensical to a new player who thinks "oh cool co op ratpunching fps"

The guy in question was a BH who joined into the nest and bitched constantly whenever we got a grim/tome alternating between the boss was too hard, we are getting dice at the end, who cares about loot! He stayed behind at the drop down and grabbed a healing potion leaving behind the tome to show it to us. We repayed him by vote kicking him on the lift haha hey i'm sure he enjoyed the level though.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mendrian posted:

But this requires reading intent into loving patch notes.

If you were fixing level geometry bugs already, why would you not fix those?

Honesly, if you want to read anything into it, it's probably that those were the easiest bugs to fix. Which is if anything just lazy.

See I think we agree this is ultimately a design issue. I think we ultimately agree, posturing aside, that some of those bugs made the game more enjoyable to play and that removing them made it less enjoyable. and that some other bugs make it less enjoyable.

Where we disagree is that I no longer believe FS to be competent to address the issues through a design process. they can barely perform hygiene on their own code base. they are not able to alter design frameworks, like they did with VT1.

btw Blightreaper kills people when, in fact, it should not be doing that. yeah. okay. i can see how that little detail slipped past the extremely overworked single chimpanzee compiling the Lua golem that is this game for a week. maybe they'll get to it next week. y'know. when the product ships, for money, on steam.

e; if you goonishly read this as a contention that they shouldn't address bugs *at all* i swear to loving god...

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 25, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
even if you're maxed out on loot and levels, more books is more xp and more xp is faster commendations, where you get hats...the true endgame grind

also drat i didnt roll curse resistance for nothing here, otherwise i'd get CD reduc or move speed

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
"Parry is the best trait for every melee weapon in the game."

:laffo:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I still don't understand how it works--so is it just a flat 1 second free block? do you need to time it with anything?

Goliath
Oct 22, 2007

TG: assistant director of chumpography
Yeah it's free blocks for about a second after you hit the block button. Which is nice for tanking elite hits and the incidental poo poo hits while you're push attacking. It's not flashy, but it can do a lot to pull you out of some really hairy situations. I still use swift slaying because it's more fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
push attack on kruber's sword counts as a heavy for the purposes of triggering foot knight's increased stamina regen talent right now, it's a good combo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Goliath posted:

Yeah it's free blocks for about a second after you hit the block button. Which is nice for tanking elite hits and the incidental poo poo hits while you're push attacking. It's not flashy, but it can do a lot to pull you out of some really hairy situations. I still use swift slaying because it's more fun.

i wouldn't be surprised if the folks who like parry are using AHK macros. swift slaying changes your cadence, which will screw up a macro, but conversely you can use a macro to cycle through your guard to keep parry's free blocks going, only dropping your defense for a frame or two.

this basically allows you to survive shiva-stacked enemies WAY better than you would otherwise. shiva stacks are really the only threat for truly getting hit while your guard is broken, so if you can just keep blocking forever and never get your guard broken...

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 26, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I like parry because it's fun as hell to be the dwarf getting tossed across the room by an angry spawn constantly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm actually kinda sad that they're fixing the bug where something that tosses you away just sends you flying backward in a straight line forever until you hit something that stops you.

Of course, the good news is that it will probably be back after a patch or two.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Digirat posted:

I'm actually kinda sad that they're fixing the bug where something that tosses you away just sends you flying backward in a straight line forever until you hit something that stops you.

Of course, the good news is that it will probably be back after a patch or two.

It was amazing on Fort when a troll would smash us, we'd go flying, skim off the ground and out to the river and die instantly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the funny thing about that corner fix in righteous stand is well, i think i actually like it. it's more compact so the team is forced into melee faster. i suppose i got lucky with an all melee team, if there was anyone leaning heavily on ranged they'd get swarmed super quick

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Goliath posted:

That's actually really good considering weapons like dual axes don't really benefit that much from SS but not losing a stam shield in a push attack flurry sounds awesome. I might start putting it on almost all my weapons since very rarely do i find SS useful considering you can be forced into periods of defense or pushes after it procs. It's definitely a much more reliable trait than SS and when you have a short ult cooldown to begin with. For example ranger bardin doesn't really want his ult reduced cause its a super situational lackluster ult and you really only want SS on a weapon with decent light attacks and a slow attack speed. This leaves the 2h hammer, warpick, and axe+shield really benefiting from SS while the rest of your weapon options don't really see a massive boost.

This is because all the weapon traits are honestly garbage and drastically need rebalancing.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

finally played the new maps and they're, like, fine. the city setting gave me a kinda VT1 feeling, which is actually refreshing since VT2 doesn't have many city maps; and both had some neat (and annoying) setpieces and scenery

neither of them blew me away like VT1's DLC did, sadly, but im glad for more map variety regardless

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Patch should be hitting today, right? I'm curious.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
tomorrow iirc, same time as the dlc drops

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dev said they got most of the bugs in the DLC but i wonder what they'll miss. There's also a massive amount of hidden changes i can't wait until they get tallied.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Huh. I had basically given up hope of ever getting any more reds in this game other than copies of the same red handgun over and over again.... hell, I'd mostly given up on this game in general. Got talked into a couple of runs with a friend tonight though, and finally just got a red Charm. Kitted out with Power Versus Chaos and Power Versus Infantry, no less, which I'm thinking is probably the best I can possibly do in that slot anyway. Nice!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Is it really that hard (or necessary) to get reds? I've mostly been rerolling items and upgrading them with all the scrap I've gotten from other items, but I only play casually until friends buy this game on sale. I live in a region that sells it dirt cheap, atm.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 28, 2018

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Reds are not necessary - gear is absolutely, positively no replacement for skill in this game. Not even close. That being said, once you hit level 30, reds are basically your only prospect for continuing to improve.... and they can make it easier to hit certain breakpoints, like killing small fry in two hits instead of three on Legend.

They're pretty goddamn hard to get in my experience, but the real problem isn't actually getting reds - it's getting the reds you want. Like I mentioned, I've gotten like four red handguns, a red sword + shield, and a red mace.... of which , only the first red handgun was useful.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Backhand posted:

Huh. I had basically given up hope of ever getting any more reds in this game other than copies of the same red handgun over and over again.... hell, I'd mostly given up on this game in general. Got talked into a couple of runs with a friend tonight though, and finally just got a red Charm. Kitted out with Power Versus Chaos and Power Versus Infantry, no less, which I'm thinking is probably the best I can possibly do in that slot anyway. Nice!

Yeah I had started into Champ months ago, and only had two reds to show for it so far. Since doing the beta branch (10 days ago?) I've gotten four more - I think they must have increased red drop rates. Haven't touched Legend yet, so this was all Champ.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Reds can really ease the suffering when you want to try new builds but thats about it. I got insanely lucky on salty and rolled a ton of max stat items which are basically reds but it took me months and thousands of dust to get 2 necklances to 20% hps/2 stam and even then one of them is loving 19%. The rolling mechanic is really loving stupid and they'll change it eventually but for now we gotta suffer the swedes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is it really that hard (or necessary) to get reds? I've mostly been rerolling items and upgrading them with all the scrap I've gotten from other items, but I only play casually until friends buy this game on sale. I live in a region that sells it dirt cheap, atm.

You'll get red necklaces, charms and trinkets sooner or later. Getting the red ranged weapon you want doesn't seem to be all that hard either, probably because there aren't that many for the game to roll.

Melee weapons, on the other hand...I have 500+ hours under my belt and I haven't found a single red melee weapon I would actually consider using, for any of the classes I play. Not one. Zero.

Reds aren't crucial, but they're cool and convenient in that you'd otherwise have to waste time rerolling an orange item until you finally approach those perfect stats.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Reds are RNG horse poo poo that they want you to go through because why else would you play a game other than having cool gear?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
... killing rattes? I mean, I get the loot impulse some have, but it's second to me to a good nice run. To each their own I guess.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Loot is nice, but only in that it allows me to fight harder rats. I really enjoy the gameplay. Also the banter, and I'm glad it looks like they're patching it to make that play more evenly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
some of the rarer banter is pretty good, there's one between bardin, kruber, and sienna where bardin panics after goading sienna on a bit too much and asks her to calm down because her hair started glowing dangerously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Never heard that one. Waiting for Kruber to finally make a move on Kerillian