Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have been doing this for almost twenty years and i have nothing to show for it but a pile of money

uhh and some p dope shoes, too, right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

prisoner of waffles posted:

uhh and some p dope shoes, too, right???

no, the shoes are only in order to get the money

they have no other purpose

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have been doing this for almost twenty years and i have nothing to show for it but a pile of money

consulting.txt

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Greatest accomplishment is code for "a recent project you found difficult and solved a lot of problems".

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

qhat posted:

Greatest accomplishment is code for "a recent project you found difficult and solved a lot of problems".
i tried that answer approach during my amazon on-site and the dude was like really, that's your greatest accomplishment?

basically f amazon though.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Diva Cupcake posted:

i tried that answer approach during my amazon on-site and the dude was like really, that's your greatest accomplishment?

Sounds like the question had a positive outcome.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol thats such a dick thing for him to say

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol everything I've ever heard about Amazon's interview process is loving horrible. glad to hear that's still going

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my greatest accomplishment is very different from the work i am most proud of and i am personally much more invested in the latter tbh

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

basically f amazon

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am on the opposite side of the interview process for the first time in my life. knowing what it’s like now, it is extremely hard to take seriously. what a joke.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I am on the opposite side of the interview process for the first time in my life. knowing what it’s like now, it is extremely hard to take seriously. what a joke.

you now understand why people say not to take rejections personally

tech interviews are basically a giant rng

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Pollyanna posted:

:yossame:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

i hope you begin to appreciate how hard it is to actually screen talent and make sure you hire good people

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

We once passed on a guy because our PM didn't like the way he asked "so what do YOU do". She thought he was implying that it was unusual for a woman to be in technology. She was new to the team at the time and we didn't wanna mansplain to her that he's probably just a weird guy, so we passed on him (later we found out she is pretty easily offended by that sort of thing and that he probably didn't mean anything by it).

So there you go, 3-4 hours of interviewing brought down by one weird inflection during some filler chat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ADINSX posted:

We once passed on a guy because our PM didn't like the way he asked "so what do YOU do". She thought he was implying that it was unusual for a woman to be in technology. She was new to the team at the time and we didn't wanna mansplain to her that he's probably just a weird guy, so we passed on him (later we found out she is pretty easily offended by that sort of thing and that he probably didn’t mean anything by it).

So there you go, 3-4 hours of interviewing brought down by one weird inflection during some filler chat.

later you learned that women notice the constant microaggresions men are blissfully unaware of

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Arcsech posted:

you now understand why people say not to take rejections personally

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jit bull transpile posted:

later you learned that women notice the constant microaggresions men are blissfully unaware of

Let's just pretend that assuming a man in particular is a sexist pig because of a slight intonation of voice is something other than outright sexual discrimination.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

My wife works in the industry so I hear about it all the time; and its something I try to be very mindful of. With that in mind, sometimes people are just insecure, and having worked with her a little longer at this point, I think it was probably the latter.

At any rate, my point is no matter how he intended the comment, thats how it was interpreted and thats what sunk his interview.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

meatpotato posted:

no, the shoes are only in order to get the money

they have no other purpose

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
let me just say that the people working on tv shows earn their loving money, no questions
let the record also show that the catering is almost worth working for free

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Achmed Jones posted:

those are both dope and are the kind of thing I want to hear about in interviews, especially if the alternative is yet another crud app or similar

unfucking a production line is p sweet though, you chose correctly imo

aw, thanks :)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
also jobspring really knows how to hire bright ones

i emailed the contact at jobspring saturday evening to reschedule my monday meeting to friday since i was called for a tv show all week and he replied and confirmed

this morning i get a few emails and linkedin messages from the same guy asking where i am, if i still plan on coming, etc.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pollyanna posted:

ive interviewed like 15 people in the past few month, and yeah. there's really no need to be nervous in an interview because the person interviewing you isn't even paying attention in the first place.

Bloody posted:

my greatest accomplishment is very different from the work i am most proud of and i am personally much more invested in the latter tbh

my greatest accomplishment is convincing people to pay me despite the fact that im a big dumbass who learned how to program on youtube. this isn't the best thing to say in an interview.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no one would work in engineering if slights against product management were disqualifying

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TimWinter posted:

Are shameless job postings welcome? I guess if you're here and want to work for DataRobot hit me up because we're hiring an insane number of engineers all of a sudden.

that sounds way more interesting than anything I'm qualified for but I sent you the sad excuse of the thing I use for a resume anyways

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

ADINSX posted:

We once passed on a guy because our PM didn't like the way he asked "so what do YOU do". She thought he was implying that it was unusual for a woman to be in technology.

a candidate shouldn't really have occasion to ask this question, as the interviewer should introduce herself and provide background context about her role first thing. unless, that is, the candidate asks that immediately, before the interviewer has an opportunity to introduce herself, in which case he's clearly an rear end in a top hat. alternately, if the interviewer didn't properly introduce herself, then a pointed request for a proper introduction is merited.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PokeJoe posted:

ive interviewed like 15 people in the past few month, and yeah. there's really no need to be nervous in an interview because the person interviewing you isn't even paying attention in the first place.

my greatest accomplishment is convincing people to pay me despite the fact that im a big dumbass who learned how to program on youtube. this isn't the best thing to say in an interview.

is hiring scientists turned programmers a good idea? maybe

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
i just did my first onsite of the season on friday and got told today no offer. two more onsites this week which hopefully go better.

what i am finding this time around is that its weirdly difficult to keep other applications and preparation going in the midst of onsites. especially on the days themselves - i probably should have done some more legwork after i got home on friday to try to line more stuff up for this week but its just so draining

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Pollyanna posted:

fond memories of my frequent interviewer days, which ranged from "oh god we just need bodies to fill seats is the candidate alive and unlikely to spontaneously die in the next 30 minutes" to being slightly more selective, which was the same except 60 minutes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

is hiring scientists turned programmers a good idea? maybe

the number of dipshits from physics labs we end up hiring who we have to teach what git is tells me it's more of a maybe no

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
As an interviewer I def listen to what candidates are saying cos after all I could end up working with them, otoh some are nervous nellies and don’t say anything :shrug:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
“Maybe if I don’t say anything at all the interviewer will have to hire me by default” well that did work once but the conditions were exceptional and I regretted it severely

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just find it funny that we say we want a literal clone of someone else on our team (meaning their domain knowledge of our systems and stuff you only know by being there) and then turn around and say “if they can’t solve knight’s tour in 30 minutes they’re a pass”

like do we want people or what

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
yeah don't hire for domain expertise unless it's a niche area or you're hiring for deep knowledge in a well known area

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the poor dude came from a place where he was stuck optimizing sql queries all day and now we’re going to assess him on ability to grok entire overcomplicated systems each with their own development group and act as a team liaison+knowledge center because we have a bus factor of like 1.5

I am not confident in our process, yet we need people (what kind of people? what will their responsibilities be? etc.)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

like do we want people or what

If you did you wouldn't whiteboard knight's tour.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

to be fair to us (I guess) it’s a subset of knights tour i.e. “get the shortest list of moves that takes you to the pawn” which is bfs

I hate graph theory/search questions tho so I’m biased

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What are people's opinions of non-compsci grads with little experience but with a "diploma" from some random 10 week programming boot camp? I usually just throw the resume directly in the bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
it seems like a good cheap way to fill chairs for javascript jobs but i wouldn't expect them to be able to do anything else right away