Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

PirateBob posted:

Can I get some good beginner's advice please. What should I do/buy in my base after the first mission?

tactical recon. period.

According to reddit (ugh) in a livestream the devs said they were addressing actor for a nerf in the next patch. We’ll see. Maybe just a reduced vision cone would be a good compromise? One thing that irks me is that the computer still gets to shoot if they stumble on your guys and end up directly adjacent. I know it’s more realistic than suddenly deciding to scramble for cover on free moves a la xcom but man. gently caress eating a 85 damage shot because that prick agent decided to drop down from the third story roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

I'm far from being an expert, but I'd definitely get a Forger, so you can change agents' identities to reduce heat (as well as play dress-up with your spy barbies) and put a person working in there to give you an extra $40p/h

TK-42-1 posted:

tactical recon. period.

Already got both of those things because they sounded cool, thanks. :cool:

Why is my objective to "investigate the transcript to identify Aguirre's visitor" or something when I have already marked all the phrases on all my intel ? :confused:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Already got both of those things because they sounded cool, thanks. :cool:

Why is my objective to "investigate the transcript to identify Aguirre's visitor" or something when I have already marked all the phrases on all my intel ? :confused:

did you string matching words together until you link red ?s

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

did you string matching words together until you link red ?s

Perhaps not. I'll try that again when I'm back to base. Right now I'm stuck in a mission to stop some enemy agent who's about to increase Danger.

I was only allowed to bring 2 agents. I can kill the enemy agent and his henchmen using Breach, but then 5 enemies show up at my evacuation point + 2 guards already on the map turn hostile. How am I supposed to get out of a 2 vs 7 fight alive?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Weasling Weasel posted:

I bought this in advance because the actual spy theme is under-utilised and completely up my street, but because of the rather scathing RPS review of it I haven't played around with it at all until today. I'm enjoying what I've done so far, but what I have done so far is mostly re-start over and over and slowly improving what I'm doing as I get used to all of the opaque systems. BTW, I'm a fan of the combat so far albeit having seen so little of it because of how different it is to X-com. It's a different style of combat as you're balance focus and hiding as opposed to just flank forever and over-watch creep which you developed into with X-com after enough time. It's different enough that I don't know how to cheese it.

A couple of pointers I want to ask as I get into this with very little guide's available so far- I get the tactical upgrade which was the first thing I read on the thread and it made missions 100% easier. However, the first one I try it an informer rescue mission and it's easy as you can get 100% stealth it with the disguised agent by knocking everyone else and creeping, and I also picked off the assasin at the end by just hanging around the evac and quick sniping him with a grenade. Awesome drive by.

However, second game I've attempted I did the same thing, tactical prep and then assault, and the mission became assasinate the enemy agent instead. That became impossible because I hadn't got hthe upgrade to increase the number of field agents, and his HP was more than mine so stealth takedowns were off the table - I was able to take him out with a breach but then the remaining minions and police on the street gunned down my units before they could evac as they out numbered us 3 to 1 and I couldn't flee enough to get out of range of their pop shots. Any early tips for how you'd complete the mission? Did I set it up wrong, why was it an assinatate mission rather than just to evac the informer?

Also, what does working the investigation board actually do? The hours keep ticking down to something, but it doesn't seem to generate more intel, so I'm not sure what I'm waisting my agent doing here.

Agents working the investigating board solve pieces of intel, so they find the key words and make connections. Theoretically they can solve the files but they are so god damned slow I never saw that. Yes it's a waste.

For early missions, keep in mind I'm experienced, I only bring one disguised guy max, a lot of the time not even then, because they can't bring items. Bring med kits, any wounds healed before the end of the mission are like they never happened. Bring smoke grenades, they block sight in and out (still vulnerable to enemy grenades). Overwatch is insanely good the first two turns after combat is tripped, before mooks get their awareness up, or double up with two people doing overwatch, one strips awareness the other kills. Overwatch can trigger on multiple enemies depending on your weapon, one shot for each. The ai loves to flank and get closer, or get to better cover, sometimes it's better to over watch than shoot.

Also for early missions, try to have your two highest HP agents alternate going, better chance to out HP the enemy agent for a stealth takedown.

Fearless is probably the single best early game combat perk. Being able to dodge tank in the face of automatic rifles is a life saver.

Survivor on an already high HP agent is the best stealth perk, extra HP for stealth agent takedowns. Actor is second, and only second because a lot of missions you can scout around agents without disguises, let alone the actor perk.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knobb Manwich posted:

Agents working the investigating board solve pieces of intel, so they find the key words and make connections. Theoretically they can solve the files but they are so god damned slow I never saw that. Yes it's a waste.

One thing I've discovered is that it can be handy to set up an agent on intel just so that they can do a bit of the legwork for you while you're still gathering info. You aren't going to solve them until you've collected all but maybe the last 1-2 pieces of intel, so you can pretty much leave a file alone until you reach that point - by having your agents work analytics in the meantime, they'll at least pre-solve a few of the connections for you by the time you do go in to resolve it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

PirateBob posted:

Perhaps not. I'll try that again when I'm back to base. Right now I'm stuck in a mission to stop some enemy agent who's about to increase Danger.

I was only allowed to bring 2 agents. I can kill the enemy agent and his henchmen using Breach, but then 5 enemies show up at my evacuation point + 2 guards already on the map turn hostile. How am I supposed to get out of a 2 vs 7 fight alive?

Frag grenades on the reinforcements, smoke grenades to hide your guys for a few turns, generous use of overwatch on their arrival to thin their numbers. Always expect some damage, so always bring some medkits. If you're not on hard, stealth out any other guards on the map first. Possibly wait for enemy reinforcements to arrive and then call evac somewhere else. Sprint past the enemy reinforcements into the escape zone if you have to, just smile, wave and leave. A compromised evac is only extra danger on your hideout, don't be afraid to play for time if it's a choice between compromised evac or getting wrecked.

e: contact tactics training for the blinding laser ability, it's small awareness cost and can shut down enemy overwatch.

My attitude towards the game shifted when I realised planning to 100% stealth missions is setting yourself up to get reamed in combat. Now I plan for combat every time, and if stealth doesn't break that's just swell. Frags and smoke are so god damned good, don't leave home without them.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I've discovered is that it can be handy to set up an agent on intel just so that they can do a bit of the legwork for you while you're still gathering info. You aren't going to solve them until you've collected all but maybe the last 1-2 pieces of intel, so you can pretty much leave a file alone until you reach that point - by having your agents work analytics in the meantime, they'll at least pre-solve a few of the connections for you by the time you do go in to resolve it.

For some reason it triggers me greatly how they set up the board, and how they rearrange any board you've personally worked on to be a cluster gently caress. I like to pull out intel one by one and make connections as I see them.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Knobb Manwich posted:

Frag grenades on the reinforcements, smoke grenades to hide your guys for a few turns, generous use of overwatch on their arrival to thin their numbers. Always expect some damage, so always bring some medkits. If you're not on hard, stealth out any other guards on the map first. Possibly wait for enemy reinforcements to arrive and then call evac somewhere else. Sprint past the enemy reinforcements into the escape zone if you have to, just smile, wave and leave. A compromised evac is only extra danger on your hideout, don't be afraid to play for time if it's a choice between compromised evac or getting wrecked.

e: contact tactics training for the blinding laser ability, it's small awareness cost and can shut down enemy overwatch.

My attitude towards the game shifted when I realised planning to 100% stealth missions is setting yourself up to get reamed in combat. Now I plan for combat every time, and if stealth doesn't break that's just swell. Frags and smoke are so god damned good, don't leave home without them.

Thanks! I'm playing on medium, but when I stealth out a guard beforehand, I get some message about a guard not reporting in?

Do I have to do these missions when an enemy agent is about to increase my danger? How much of a danger is danger? :D

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Thanks! I'm playing on medium, but when I stealth out a guard beforehand, I get some message about a guard not reporting in?

Do I have to do these missions when an enemy agent is about to increase my danger? How much of a danger is danger? :D

Yes, once a certain number of guards/civilians are knocked out enemy agent will start to move looking for them. The number is different for different difficulty, I believe it's 2 for hard and 3 for medium. Enemy agent can comb through the level quickly but if you are on medium you can hide the body or prepare overwatch to gun the enemy agent down if needed.

You can see your current danger value on the top right of the map view. All danger do is that it'll force you to pay money to move your safehouse every once in awhile. It's annoying and can get costly but nothing game ending.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 28, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

pedro0930 posted:

Yes, once a certain number of guards/civilians are knocked out enemy agent will start to move looking for them. The number is different for different difficulty, I believe it's 2 for hard and 3 for medium. Enemy agent can comb through the level quickly but if you are on medium you can hide the body or prepare overwatch to gun the enemy agent down if needed.

The key here is that only enemy AGENTS go on high alert. Regular guards will continue their standard patrol routes. So once you deal with those agents there's no extra alarm or anything.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

PirateBob posted:

Usually enemy recons will tell you how much they're going to increase your danger by, when you click on the icon on the map and you get the interrupt, tail, recon and assault options, above that is a red message saying how much danger you'll get if the mission completes.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key here is that only enemy AGENTS go on high alert. Regular guards will continue their standard patrol routes. So once you deal with those agents there's no extra alarm or anything.

Yeah, this. I play on hard now and find stealth a lot more enjoyable because of it. I don't touch any civs or enemy guards until I've located the enemy agents and determined if I can take them down with stealth. If I can, fantastic, I do, and then I work on dismantling the other guards/civs that are protecting each other until I can do what I need to. If I can't, that's where it gets fun, and when I'm very glad I brought a bunch of grenades and guns bigger than smgs.

e: one thing with stealth is that it is extremely rare for a guard or civ to move from one room to another. At best an agent will patrol around a corridor or inside one particular room. Usually if you see a room is empty, it will stay that way and is safe to move in to and hide in.

e: another thing, line of sight range is fixed. It's 6 squares for mooks and 8 squares of agents. If you are 7 squares away from a guard, standing completely in the open, they won't see you. Learn their patrol routes and what they can see from there. You can often hide deep in rooms from guards patrolling outside.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 28, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sorry to double post but I just noticed I had a 500mb update, but no patch notes on any of the usual channels. Anyone got any info about it?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Oh man, what a mission. I had to assassinate an enemy agent, so I send in my actor to scout. Turns out the enemy agent has: Survivor for extra HP, Fearless so she can't be suppressed, another perk that makes her survive an attack that otherwise would kill her, plus some other stuff. My two agents are low level, because they need the experience. They are up against a beast of an agent. What to do?

So, I place my scout just outside the door to the enemy agent's office in the chemical plant, sneak the other shooter through the restricted area to the opposite door between guard patrols and do a silent breach with suppressed SMGs. Took every shot we had to mow down that tanky agent, but no alarms or anything. Suppressors rule. The enemy guards were nearby, but facing away from the action. Then we looted the room and exfiltrated without anyone knowing we were there. Textbook assassination.

Using the whole team and not just the actor is more tense. I really hope the devs connect the language ability to the actor perk so that the enemy agents would sometimes ask a question in the local language when you get close and if you don't have the correct language you'd lose your cover. That would fix most of what's overpowered with the actor perk.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Isn't it a bit weird that the player characters can be total window haters without arousing any suspicion?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also for most non plot missions, you can call in evac before you finish your objectives. If you know you have to go loud to kill the enemy agent, having your evac sitting at the escape point as soon as you get there makes it alot easier to evac under fire

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Also for most non plot missions, you can call in evac before you finish your objectives. If you know you have to go loud to kill the enemy agent, having your evac sitting at the escape point as soon as you get there makes it alot easier to evac under fire

Yeah, you don't want to kick it off too soon though, lest it becomes compromised. But you're right; for instance just last night when I completed my most recent mission, I managed to pull all three agents plus an ex-KGB informer to the evac point both one turn before the evac was compromised and one turn before a rocket (fired from a helicopter) would've hit the evac point, where most of my guys were huddling.
That evac 'van pulling away' scene would've been quite interesting, if it reflected the explosions that would've been going off around it, as it reversed out of its park! :v:

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

PirateBob posted:

Isn't it a bit weird that the player characters can be total window haters without arousing any suspicion?

I like that the spies can take shortcuts like the Kool-Aid Man. Oh yeah!

If you maintain stealth you can keep the van ready in the extraction zone without compromise. Of course I just had some random civilian mess things up and had to shoot my way out after an otherwise smooth operation.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
It doesn't actually matter that much even if evac becomes compromised. It's just single +40 danger even if the van stands there for 10 turns. Learned that when I called evac too early on assassination mission and enemies spawned directly on top the evac zone. Had to lead them on a goose chase across the map before getting back to evac zone.

Nowadays I wait after the reinforcements have spawned before calling the evac or just shoot everyone.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

According to reddit (ugh) in a livestream the devs said they were addressing actor for a nerf in the next patch. We’ll see. Maybe just a reduced vision cone would be a good compromise?
Working with what the game already has setup, what if your agent takes an Awareness loss if you get in view of an enemy/Agent. If your Awareness runs out you get busted. Actor removes Awareness loss from generic enemy seeing you.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Makes sense - and doing stuff like opening crates and doors, using computers, could cost awareness so it draws attention.

I'd probably do something to awareness regen during stealth because it's still going to be the same if you wait them out a bit.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 28, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Not a bad idea. It doesn't regen while disguised so if you run around and get all the goodies first then you wont have enough to make it to the agent and it lowers with every turn youre in their vision.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Been playing this a fair bit in the CIA campaign.
A few thoughts:
I love this game, but I have only played the game with the 1.0.4 patched ranges so keep that in mind.

Using the pistol's ability to shoot and then move is...very good.

Conversely, assault rifles do an absolute ridiculous amount of damage, but spraying at someone just to sink their awareness is a super valid strategy if you follow it up with a Headshot from a different agent.

Breaking line of sight with enemy dudes is both really important and also pretty hard with the lean out mechanics being what they are.

Grenades are huge game changers. They will weaken agents for an easy takedown and one shot most mooks, even the armored ones.

Don't forget that you can spend some AP/FP on an agent, activate a different one and then finish spending it later.

Tactical Spotting increases the amount of awareness that the enemy dudes have to spend to dodge, which can render them unable to dodge headshots, which themselves ignore the damage reduction from cover. I was able to spot>headshot>move to an objective and grab it with a basic agent, which helps the action economy a ton.

Additional thoughts: Actor is probably the best perk. Expert Marksman is also really really good in my opinion too.

I also figured out that as long as your agents are not busy with something or on a plane, you can warp them to any assault, I thought I had to send them to that specific city before I could use them on a mission, but that's not true afaik.

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 29, 2018

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Finally beat the game. It's a bit too long for my taste since its content is not as rich as XCOM and you only start to face interesting enemy at the very end of the game. Some of the late game enemy types are pretty bullshit like most of the grenadier type enemy (no save against grenade, and all the grenade do very high damage or other nasty effect) and sniper (if you are out of awareness, you die, although it seems enemy sniper cannot do regular shot?). Granted most of the time the enemy doesn't really get a chance to attack. Your agent just scale to become so powerful by the end.

Can anyone spoil the true ending or tell me what's different in extended mode?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the best perk out of max awareness +20 and damage threshold +6?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

PirateBob posted:

If you have fearless more awareness is probably better. DT is more useful if you can stack it, but early on you don't have much option. Actually DT is more useful if you can consistently dodge attack in your engagement so having high awareness, low dodge cost, and fearless is probably needed before worrying about DT makes sense.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 29, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

PirateBob posted:

If it was a filthy disguise wearer I'd probably go with +6 DT. Every scrap of DT on those guys is useful.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks guys.

Is the +HP perk (Survivor?) incredibly rare or something? I savescummed a bunch of times but never saw it.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

PirateBob posted:

Thanks guys.

Is the +HP perk (Survivor?) incredibly rare or something? I savescummed a bunch of times but never saw it.

Survivor keeps showing up pretty often, it's just that there are so many perks out there.

Kids, don't drink and spy. After having some whiskey I misclicked and opened up combat right in the start of a base assault. Air strikes, enemy swarms, oh boy. Fought my way through it though, so maybe it was all ok in the end? This game is fun even when you gently caress up.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
New patch is out, Actor now reduces detection range instead of making you undetectable by enemy agents. Also other things, see here for more.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 29, 2018

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

beats for junkies posted:

New patch is out, Actor now reduces detection range instead of making you undetectable by enemy agents. Also other things, see here for more.

Are the quirks generally worked out by now to the point where this is a good purchase or would it be good to hang on for a while longer?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Are the quirks generally worked out by now to the point where this is a good purchase or would it be good to hang on for a while longer?

I'd but it again. Is fun. Especially if you like the general tactical shooter genre and especially if you like cold war era spy stories.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

I'm not the best person to ask, since I was looking forward to the game for a while and bought it pretty much as soon as it was available, but they have been diligent about patching it for both bugfixing and changing stuff to make for a better game (the LOS stuff was addressed almost immediately, and it was one of the biggest complaints I saw).

I've been telling people that it feels like a $20-25 game, if that makes any sense, but I heartily recommend it if you like Cold War Spy stuff and turn-based missions (not necessarily combat, since you want to avoid open fighting as much as possible). Also, one of your base facilities is an MKULTRA lab, where you can interrogate, brainwash, and convert enemy agents (either immediately or through control phrases so they turn against their team and join yours).

I'm only in Chapter 3: The Manchurian Connection (CIA story), but have not seen anything referencing or resembling Acoustic Kitty yet. That's probably my biggest complaint about the game right now, so I'd say it's in a pretty good place. :)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

is there any way to see what compounds agents already have? either i’m blond or dumb.

It’s way better mechanically than launch. And there’s been 5 patches in like two weeks? All of them addressing big issues. There’s still some jankiness with the UI sometimes on the strat layer that causes crashes but it’s maybe once every couple of days at most and usually when a bunch of stuff pops at once.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The game is pretty tight, just unbalanced at launch. If you like spy noir it's excellent. I've been pretending it's The Americans: The Game.

Also once you stop playing it like XCom 2011, and learn the systems and how to be effective, it's really fun and rewarding.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

is there any way to see what compounds agents already have? either i’m blond or dumb.

Not that I have seen. The only way you can really tell is to kind of infer by which ones you're still allowed to give them (although you can't really tell if it's not displayed either because they already have it, or because it's been blocked by another compound). I'm hoping they patch this in at some point since it's pretty common to see new agents come in with random compounds already applied.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

My KGB game on Normal is in its victory lap stage, mostly buoyed by powerful sniper rifles, tranq darts that stun, Expert Marksman perk and Easy Kill training (kills on stunned enemies refund AP and FP). Agent Kodiak can maneuver, single shot stun/kill multiple enemies in quick succession, get points back and maneuver again as many times as she needs. Enemy reinforcements are swept aside in a volley of snap shots.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gyshall posted:

The game is pretty tight, just unbalanced at launch. If you like spy noir it's excellent. I've been pretending it's The Americans: The Game.

Also once you stop playing it like XCom 2011, and learn the systems and how to be effective, it's really fun and rewarding.

I'll be honest, I generally hate spy noir, and I still enjoyed the heck out of the game.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

People feel differently about paying different amounts for different games but ive paid more and got less many times in my years of gaming. If the setting interests you at all id say its a buy and theres been like three big patches in a couple weeks and a discord where you can communicate with devs so its far from abandoned

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I spend way too much time getting each mission as close to perfect as possible... I probably spend an hour on each. Which is okay except I'm progressing through the story very slowly :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Actor change is good. Makes the shopping trip more interesting.