Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fezz posted:

Charlie Brown looking motherfuckers.

I was this close to attaching a picture of charlie brown to my post. Maybe that's the main reason I dislike it? The visual similarity? I don't hate Chuck, though. Maybe it's the huge white vest over the solid color suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I know it's supposed to be the teeth of the Ginga/Galacta-beasts but it absolutely does not read like that.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Several different links in the replies including one by the original tweeter, it's not particularly hard to find.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh man that master Morpher rules

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And now my alarm for tomorrow morning is 5-4-1.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was a really good episode! Good story economy, legit surprising moments I never in a million years thought I'd see the falconzord, good action and fun lore building. The existence of something called a master Morpher is brilliant and basically explains away all past and present plotholes with episodes like this.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 29, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder if Power Rangers would've taken off like it did if we started on something like Liveman or Jetman.

Power Rangers success is like
60% green ranger arc
20% dinosaurs
10% suits look rad
10% Ron wasserman

Might need a little bit of a tweak but like uhh

Really the green ranger poo poo is the main culprit for success

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That was a really good episode! Good story economy, legit surprising moments I never in a million years thought I'd see the falconzord, good action and fun lore building. The existence of something called a master Morpher is brilliant and basically explains away all past and present plotholes with episodes like this.

and in a good nod to Boom They called Tommy's son JJ for the upcoming Soul of the Dragon book

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As popular as the Green Ranger was, the show was a massive success long before he showed up. I still remember how hard it was just to find any PR merchandise on store shelves as a kid.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The show was absolutely popular before the Green Ranger, but it did propel the show into the stratosphere for sure.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
That was an awesome anniversary episode. Maybe I’ll start caring about Ninja Steele again? Also I am glad that Tommy/Kat not confirmed. I choose to believe that Zedd was annoyed about the Machine Empire and zapped Kimberly’s letter to make it into a “Dear John” letter because Lord Zedd was petty af.

Did Trent really not do or say anything out of the suit? That was kinda funny. Even Rocky got a couple lines.

Edit: Also I need that Master Morpher in my life. Hasbros get on that!

Morby fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 29, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't followed Power Rangers since SPD, beyond the Boom! comics because those are very good, but I had to check Youtube for the Master Morpher thing and that was super neat. I hope he does have his Turbo powers in there too even if he didn't show them, just for completion's sake.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I would legit buy two Master Morphers if they were ~$100. One to play with and one to display would be awesome.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there any way to watch the special aside from on tv? Does it go up on a website tomorrow or anything?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Morby posted:

I would legit buy two Master Morphers if they were ~$100. One to play with and one to display would be awesome.

The fact that they opted to use the original Morpher design leads me to believe that Hasbro probably has plans to use the Legacy Morpher and repaint/resticker it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

As popular as the Green Ranger was, the show was a massive success long before he showed up. I still remember how hard it was just to find any PR merchandise on store shelves as a kid.

Oh, man. And you think toy scalping can be bad today. (It can, but still.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also when the gently caress did Wes start getting played by Rob Lowe

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, man. And you think toy scalping can be bad today. (It can, but still.)

Today's kids will never know what it's like to have their parents get into a fist fight in the middle of Toysrus just so their kid can have an awesome Christmas.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Is there any way to watch the special aside from on tv? Does it go up on a website tomorrow or anything?

Can you imagine what it must be like to be Tommy Oliver, going to the gym daily and practicing your martial arts and just working on all those motions?

Episode was so much better than Megaforce, my god

Still could've really used the breathing room of a 2-parter, though. There was a lot of stuff really packed into 22 minutes there.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I am disappointed that a lot of the Rangers were there and didn’t do/say much, but compromises had to be made to fit into a 22 min time slot I’m sure. It’s probably why they couldn’t have more than one Ranger per season and couldn’t rep every single one (in addition to the show still not being union and, therefore, the actors probably spent more than they made to film). It was also successful in the sense that it sold me a toy. I want that morpher. I didn’t give a gently caress about the bike in Forever Red, but I need that morpher. Legendary Battle was severely disappointing, but this was really fun and made 0 sense and I am ok with that. Also maybe I’ll care about Ninja Steel again? Or at least these two episodes in this arc of Ninja Steel? I have been really out of the loop with this season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently there COULD be an extended cut of the episode floating around somewhere.

Mateo linked me something quite nice

https://www.facebook.com/PowerRangersNow/videos/1901172409952571/UzpfSTI2OTI0MTIwMzE4ODY3NzpWSzoxOTAxMTcyNDA5OTUyNTcx/

That just

gently caress

I love this dumb thing so much

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Burkion posted:

Apparently there COULD be an extended cut of the episode floating around somewhere.

Mateo linked me something quite nice

https://www.facebook.com/PowerRangersNow/videos/1901172409952571/UzpfSTI2OTI0MTIwMzE4ODY3NzpWSzoxOTAxMTcyNDA5OTUyNTcx/

That just

gently caress

I love this dumb thing so much

it's also on youtube I have discovered in case people don;t want to watch it on facebook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2gzf-5yQRo

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 29, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

mateo360 posted:

it's also on youtube I have discovered in case people don;t want to watch it on facebook.

I’m sorry

I just

There was a broken visor scene

And they cut it?!

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Potsticker posted:

The show was absolutely popular before the Green Ranger, but it did propel the show into the stratosphere for sure.

It was a month and change between the debut and that

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I haven't seen the full episode, but I have to wonder if the Master Morpher will come into play in BM.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mateo360 posted:

I need to pirate this episode ASAP. :aaa:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Finished the finale of Shattered Grid, and if any of this surprises you I have a few bridges to sell you: Our heroes defeat Drakkon, due to part to a not-really-dead Tommy kicking his rear end and reminding him that the real reason why he's the only Evil Tommy in the multiverse is that he doesn't have friends. Then our heroes use a MacGuffin to reset the entire multiverse where none of it ever happened, with the standard comic book hint that Things Will Never Be The Same.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Count me in among the crowd of people interested in knowing how to watch this. I looked at the usual “pay to watch this tv show” sources such as Amazon and iTunes and it’s not there. I suppose it’ll be on YouTube in parts pretty soon.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hot hot Tommy on Tommy action. Very nice. I'm now legitimately interested in context for that whole thing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So the Master Morpher is essentially a Gokaiger Mobirate?

Raserys fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 29, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raserys posted:

So the Master Morpher is essentially a Gokaiger Mobirate?

It's more limited in that Tommy can only use his own powers (except Turbo's, apparently) but at the same time he doesn't need to depower anyone for it since those powers are his to begin with.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think he could use turbo but wasn't gonna do that when he's just a football field away from TJ, because he's classy.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think he could use turbo but wasn't gonna do that when he's just a football field away from TJ, because he's classy.

Shouldn't Rocky, TJ and Kat have had them too?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gemma:Hi, I'm from a world where there's only one surviving city, the rest was destroyed by machines

Ninja Steel: Oh... Ok, welcome.

Koda: Hi, I from world where dinosaur no ever go extinct

NS: Oh my god I want to go to your world!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

How do Zeo and Turbo powers even coexist? Weren't the Zeo Crystals used as the Turbo source, or am I misremembering?

Coq au Nandos posted:

Shouldn't Rocky, TJ and Kat have had them too?

Look, Rocky can walk again. He's thankful just to still be a Ranger.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Zeo Blue powers were lost to unbreak his leg. His leg's unbreakening repaired the MMPR Red morpher.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it's generally accepted now that all Morphin powers come from the Morphin grid, how those powers manifest depends on how you accessed them.

Zordon probably took the Zeo Crystal when he left and hid it somewhere, knowing that Dark Spectre was getting ready to make his move. That's likely why he had the rangers switch over to turbo powers. He never tells anyone any of this poo poo.

And if he didn't take it, it would probably belong to Divatox.

I say the Zeo Crystal likely powered their zords, new weapons they created, and the power chamber, but it was just the ranger powers themselves came from the grid, with the crystal bring advanced enough technology to access it. After having it long enough Zordon, Alpha, and Billy were able to create their own technology for morphin, as opposed to having to find a magical artifact for the same. He may have shared this data with Nasada or Captain Mitchell.

Tommy and Hayley eventually worked this out themselves and he has probably gone around giving his friends backup morphers, saving his ultimate invention, the master Morpher, for himself.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I was a little sad LightSpeed and SPD weren’t represented. I get why, but I love those seasons. Then again, seeing Gemma again was so worth it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It took until getting to the Moon Landing Rangers, but the main MMPR comic finally clicked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Read the Shattered Grid finale. It’s loaded with lots of nods to famous comic superheroes and other big events in those comics, it does feel very heavily focused on Tommy being more awesome than everyone, and you get this feeling of “he hosed up the entire franchise just to achieve THAT?” In a lot of ways, Drakkon’s end goal is pretty similar to some Sentai villains, and it’s not inappropriate. It’s just... wildly reverential to DC Comics in particular in how it gets there.

As someone that rode the Drakkon-is-Zedd train very hard, I’m sort of okay with getting nothing on that. All the usual bite the bullet consequences of a comic playing too aggressively with its own lore are invoked, including the universe trying to digest out of place people and events by changing them. I still think a page of a ranger’s skin being ripped off with energy while their armor fused onto them would be an amazing visual, but I also kind of didn’t want one of the show’s best villains being made Another Evil Tommy even though I was eager to accept it.

It was an okay issue, but if you’re an MMPR fan and not a fan of the superhero comics industry in general then #30 will be the peak of the story for you. Because this is very much a comics writer ending a big comics event in the accepted comics industry style, and not really Power Rangers as you know it.

When I saw Drakkon owned a dojo and who the instructor was, I felt like I had entered JDF’s mind.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 29, 2018