Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Work is being done to make the E90 DCT adaptable to other engines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone else have feet that go stupid sometimes for no reason? Some days it feels like I can't shift smoothly even if my life depended on it.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Trambopaline posted:

I've been getting sick of driving my crappy CVT honda civic and i think it might be time to get something that I would find a hell of a lot more rewarding to drive to get my jollies day to day. I mostly do a 50km round commute with most of it highway and a lot on a bunch of surface streets which gets into some pretty painful stop start. I don't do that much hauling but I will do some odd 500+ km road trips to visit people around the country. I've been driving a bunch and I don't think I would mind wrestling with a manual for commuting since I've done it with a motorcycle and it doesn't particularly drive me nuts.

Everyone else I know drives golfs if they are a bit spendier with their cars and the whole DSG puts me off or drive corollas, and I'm trying to get away from the whole econobox situation and I feel like i'm going around in circles in trying to get my next car but I'm like 75% sure it's going to be a hot hatch.

I've seen some Holden (Opel in Europe i think?) VXR's roughly in my budget and I like their lines a bit more than the focii. I might test drive some fiestas as well but there's a bit of a lack of them now that the new generation is about to drop. Does anyone know much about the VXR's? I suppose more practical life living with one since the reviews are always more breathless motorjournalism. The windows do look tiny. I'm sure sightlines for parking must be abysmal.

I test drove a 2015(maybe 16??) VXR when I was looking for my car and found it a combination of really dull and pretty uncomfortable. 20in wheels were stock, and on the roads around here it just made it terrible. The sighlines are as bad as you thought, and the whole thing just felt like a giant brick. For what it's worth I ended up buying a FiST and I'm pretty happy with it!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Isn't DSG the kind of gearbox that you shouldn't own outside of warranty?

they seem to be pretty reliable actually, just gotta make sure you change the fluid as required every 30 or 40k

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

The only wet DCT I'm aware of that's "sensitive" is the early GT-R.

Did they actually fix it, or did they just take launch away?

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Larrymer posted:

Why does the dsg put you off?

Basically

KakerMix posted:

If it's anything like me DSGs are missing some fundamental enjoyment that I get out of true manuals.

I don't know. I wonder if it's 7 years of driving something with a CVT doing my head in but i just like the tactile feeling of clutching in and out and getting the gear shifts right. I do wonder if it's the sequential spoiling me on my motorcycle but I am finding a CVT terminally boring. I may be overcompensating and may regret a manual once I really face a bunch of traffic.

I have driven an Audi A1 and I definitely agree that out of Auto's the DSG's are the most gratifying but given what I feel about motorcycle shifting i really don't mind being a bit slower and working a bit harder to do my own shifting and getting the satisfaction when I get it right.

I might end up taking the "best RWD manual I can afford" advice later on but will let you know if I catch the hot hatch bug test driving.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 30, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can buy a brand new stick civic with an old school 4 banger that has 150 hp for $18k brand new with zero ish interest financing. It is fantastic to shift so smooth. The engine is not direct injected so probably run until you die.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Trambopaline posted:

Basically

I don't know. I wonder if it's 7 years of driving something with a CVT doing my head in but i just like the tactile feeling of clutching in and out and getting the gear shifts right. I do wonder if it's the sequential spoiling me on my motorcycle but I am finding a CVT terminally boring. I may be overcompensating and may regret a manual once I really face a bunch of traffic.

Fair enough. CVTs aren't great in the fun department which I'd agree, but I wouldn't compare one to the DSG. But if you drove it and don't like it, that's cool. Not trying to convince you otherwise.

Traffic was always annoying with a manual to me, and I pretty much just get on the highway to go to/from work anymore anyway, so my ~driving engagement~ is fine letting the car do it. :v: For a fun car/track car or whatever I'd definitely choose a manual. If you're trying to check all the boxes (DD/track/whatever) with one car, then yeah go with whatever feels right my dude.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 30, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

fknlo posted:

I will say that there have been multiple GTI's with a G60 swap with the lysholm supercharger that I absolutely loved. So much whine.

Maybe that's what I heard last week. I heard the whine, saw a GTI go by, but I can't be sure if that was the car or not as I was window up/AC blasting. Didn't see anything else around I would've suspected as the source.

Is that a non-unicorn mod or was I just hearing something else entirely?

Car-sound related - also had a beater go by (I forget what exactly it was now) straining along with the loudest BOV I've ever heard.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BraveUlysses posted:

they seem to be pretty reliable actually, just gotta make sure you change the fluid as required every 30 or 40k

Ah I see. Is this scheduled maintenance or are they sticking with the "lifetime oil" malarky in DSGs as well and owners figured this out?

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah I see. Is this scheduled maintenance or are they sticking with the "lifetime oil" malarky in DSGs as well and owners figured this out?

Every 40k is the recommended

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

Maybe that's what I heard last week. I heard the whine, saw a GTI go by, but I can't be sure if that was the car or not as I was window up/AC blasting. Didn't see anything else around I would've suspected as the source.

Is that a non-unicorn mod or was I just hearing something else entirely?

It's not super common, but there are a few out there. I think the mk2 GTI had a factory g60 option in Europe? Bahn Brenner also made a kit for the 2.0 that would sound similar.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
An asshat totalled my '14 fiST about two weeks ago, and I just slid behind a brand new one. And they drive completely different.

This new one is so much smoother doing literally everything. It revs much easier, clutch is lighter, feels faster on the butt dyno. Turns in like a laser guided (bottle)rocket. Is this something that can be explained away as 4 years of general refinement, or was the old one a poo poo heap?

Which is bothersome, because the old one was still the most fun practical vehicle I've ever had.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

An asshat totalled my '14 fiST about two weeks ago, and I just slid behind a brand new one. And they drive completely different.

This new one is so much smoother doing literally everything. It revs much easier, clutch is lighter, feels faster on the butt dyno. Turns in like a laser guided (bottle)rocket. Is this something that can be explained away as 4 years of general refinement, or was the old one a poo poo heap?

Which is bothersome, because the old one was still the most fun practical vehicle I've ever had.

Tires any different?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^that was my first thought but they don't always knock it out of the park in the first year, either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So now that my mk7 is fully paid off...I think it's time for that glorious Clubsport S muffler and a stage 1 tune. Anyone know if the dsg TCU upgrade is really worth the money?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
2016+ FiST models hand a handful of improvements. Suspension refinement, better radiator, a few other minor things.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I think the rear motor mount was improved on the later models, I forget when the change happened, IIRC sometime '15 or '16. That'd definitely have an impact on driving feel.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Tires any different?

Yeah, went from the oem garbage all seasons to the potenza summer tires. Definitely changes things a bunch, I'm a convert. Here's hoping it stays warm enough in Virginia to run them year round.

It really is just all around a better car, and about the same amount of improvement as going from a ratty integra to the old fiesta.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i like integras :smithfrog:

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Yeah, went from the oem garbage all seasons to the potenza summer tires. Definitely changes things a bunch, I'm a convert. Here's hoping it stays warm enough in Virginia to run them year round.

It really is just all around a better car, and about the same amount of improvement as going from a ratty integra to the old fiesta.

Where abouts in VA? I run summers year round on my FoST and I live in NoVA, it can get a bit squirrely in the winter but I just consider that a fun bonus. I just got used to doing it with my RWD cars for years so why change what isn't broke.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Where abouts in VA? I run summers year round on my FoST and I live in NoVA, it can get a bit squirrely in the winter but I just consider that a fun bonus. I just got used to doing it with my RWD cars for years so why change what isn't broke.

I'm also in NoVA and not looking forward to the CTR in snow. :smithfrog:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
We sure have a lot of NoVA people in here...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

We sure have a lot of NoVA people in here...

I spend enough time in my car I want something fun to be in.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Portsmouth, now. I'm in a "white people hood" as the girlfriend calls it. A bunch of my neighbors have fun cars, this one crazy gently caress who's wife drives a white wrx, he himself has a mustang gt, and their garage has a supercharged, meth injected something that I haven't checked out yet.

Another neighbor wants to buy back my wrecked FiST, as a cheap rally car.

It's good to hear that I don't really have to worry about summer tires down here, squirrelly is fun as heck.

I like integras too, sneaky. I'm slowly tidying up my old one under the guise of selling it. I'm never selling it. The wife doesn't particularly care, thankfully.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my rsx-s was my first fun car.

then i did dumb things to an integra and wrecked it on a track.

im fond of them.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Hell yeah :hfive: have a blue b18b coupe, decided I loved them, bought another with my brother in law and helped him put an h22 in it. It died a warriors death on the track too. drat fool missed third and put it in first going 50ish. So much fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's good to hear that I don't really have to worry about summer tires down here, squirrelly is fun as heck.

Until you need to get up a hill.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Worst case scenario go on the forums/FB groups/CL/etc and buy a set of winter tires/wheels from someone else and swap em on if it gets bad enough outside. There's always people selling sets after totalling their car/selling it/needing money/etc. I got a set of stock FoST wheels with brand new winter tires on them for $450 from someone in a FB group locally who sold their car and just wanted the tires out of the garage. I've never actually put them on the car because we didn't get bad enough snow to need them last season but I do have them in case.

Much preferable to having some half-assed all seasons that suck in the snow, suck in the rain, suck in the dry, etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What was the threshold of needing winter tires again? I’m pretty sure NC is Summer Tires all year territory.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
40f. NC gets too cold for about 4 months, depending on where you are exactly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not an all season tires advocate at all but NC is a pretty good use case. I used to run winter tires on my 1-series down there but it was certainly overkill and they didn't perform great when it got warm.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I ran summers on my WRX year round in Orlando and mornings where it was just above freezing the tires sucked. The newer summer favoring all season are perfect for NC.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Running out of equipment space in the FiST so I finally caved and put my old cargo basket on with some Rola corssbars. It looks kinda goofy and I know it's the worst place to add weight to a car, but it's that or no more Fiesta for me.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I run Sottozeroes on the Golf R from November through about April and I really like them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

100% Dundee posted:

There were a couple times this past winter that went from single digits to 50+ within a couple days. I just want it to pick a drat climate zone and stay there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There were a couple times this past winter that went from single digits to 50+ within a couple days. I just want it to pick a drat climate zone and stay there.

Oh, you also live in Indiana?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wrar posted:

40f. NC gets too cold for about 4 months, depending on where you are exactly.

I’m down by Charlotte so it doesn’t get wild like the mountains. Though it does go below 40 pretty regularly in the winter. Guess I’ll get all seasons then.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've never had an issue with summer tires in cold conditions. I'm sure RE71's turn into hockey pucks, but my PSS's handle it pretty drat well. I don't switch to my winters until it's going to snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

I've never had an issue with summer tires in cold conditions. I'm sure RE71's turn into hockey pucks, but my PSS's handle it pretty drat well. I don't switch to my winters until it's going to snow.

yeah I bought blizzaks for the rs and had them on way too early it was so miserable. I just keep the pss on until there is actually supposed to be snow on the ground and I have to drive somewhere.