Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Nothing about the final boss not working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

How are u posted:

Elder Scrolls style game please. I want to examine Tekehu's glorious body in immersive 3d.

I'm afraid none of us is worthy enough to be able to gaze at Tekehu's rear end in 3D.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

The full attack nerf doesn't look to severe on paper but the way bonuses/penalties interact is weird so I dunno.

Black Jackets got a buff- they keep Constant Recovery now, it's just worse.

I'm assuming the new spells are being added to existing unique grimoires, who knows which ones.

I think the full attack nerf will actually result in a little under -55% damage dealt because of the weird math obsidian uses, but the penalty should be additive with standard bonuses. But I haven't tested it yet.

There are, in fact two new grimoires with the new spells. I don't know where they are, I just spawned them in with the console. The draconic fury spell is a really powerful buff for melee wizards that adds 15% slash and 15% burn lashes to your melee attacks and terrifies anyone that hits you in melee. But it has a really long cast time. The Equalizing burst applies 4 tier 2 afflictions, each targeting a different defense. It looks like a really cool and useful way to reliably strip down high defenses on an enemy by targeting lower ones.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Just beat the game and I have some questions about Xoti's ending.

So Xoti and Eder become lifelong friends after some of my 'gentle nudging' but then Xoti does a heel-turn and becomes Harvester the serial killer? Is there another Xoti ending? Did I do something wrong when completing her personal quest?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

You get that bad end if you tell her to keep the souls during her quest.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

How are u posted:

Elder Scrolls style game please. I want to examine Tekehu's glorious body in immersive 3d.

FPS is probably the worst possible way of doing heroic & fantasy combat (magic or martial). Don't do this ropekid.

It's perfectly fine for shooty things though, so more Fallout please. (except not with a lovely engine)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Furism posted:

FPS is probably the worst possible way of doing heroic & fantasy combat (magic or martial). Don't do this ropekid.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was awesome. :colbert:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Raygereio posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was awesome. :colbert:

To each their own I guess. Some people don't find the combat obnoxious in TES, and Skyrim sold millions so I'm probably on the wrong side of the finger. But nobody ever found a way to make a sword swing feel "right" with a KB+M or controller in first person view, in my opinion.

Furism fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 31, 2018

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Wow that Family Pride quest gets hosed six ways to Sunday if you don't immediately do the peace negotiations huh. They can sit in their stupid mansions crying about murdering each other forever for all I loving care after the amount of time I spent trying to get that meeting to trigger to no avail

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Furism posted:

And yet somehow, Wizardry 8 owns bones

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Helical Nightmares posted:

So Xoti and Eder become lifelong friends after some of my 'gentle nudging' but then Xoti does a heel-turn and becomes Harvester the serial killer? Is there another Xoti ending? Did I do something wrong when completing her personal quest?

That really seems like an ending that should be mutually exclusive with any relationships. I got it too and it was the only thing that really seemed out of place, which I guess is inpressive in a way considering the sheer number of possible ending states

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Wizardry 8 is a totally different sort of game from Skyrim. Combat in Wizardry 8 is turn based and tactical. I don't think anybody has ever said anything good about combat in Skyrim.

I agree that I really, really don't like 1st person for a game with a big focus on melee combat. It might be possible to make it work, but it looks awkward and rarely has much depth.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Is this Magran's Blessing shield I just found new? It was on a weapon rack near the temple of Magran in Neketaka.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Wizardry 8 is a totally different sort of game from Skyrim. Combat in Wizardry 8 is turn based and tactical. I don't think anybody has ever said anything good about combat in Skyrim.

I agree that I really, really don't like 1st person for a game with a big focus on melee combat. It might be possible to make it work, but it looks awkward and rarely has much depth.

It's very rare that it's been done at all much less well. If anyone is interested in games that attempt first person melee with panache, give a look to "Breakdown" on the original Xbox, a HUD-less "immersive" first person melee game about learning laser karate to fight interdimensional alien invaders, and "Zeno Clash" for Xbox 360 and PC, a surreal fantasy game about abusive family dynamics and punching people in the face.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Octo1 posted:

Is this Magran's Blessing shield I just found new? It was on a weapon rack near the temple of Magran in Neketaka.

screenshot?

Octo1
May 7, 2009

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/960844484162876725/3AF9F1F570F3E9EE12DC926D279DE8CD76B53CF7/

Edit: I should mention that this is the beta branch

Octo1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 31, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah that's new. And *dandy* for a fire spec priest.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t think that was even one of the new items listed in the patch notes?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh that's really nice. Just checking, but those kind of "counts as offhand weapon" items will benefit from both two-weapon fighting and the shield bonus one, right?

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
I just got the cipher ability that grants the Brilliant inspiration and it's hilarious on an ascendent and priest. You get free cipher spells forever because the priest keeps getting free salvation of times, which basically means everyone gets infinite duration buffs. I know late game the difficulty breaks, but I didn't expecy your characters to be literally invincible with level 7 spells

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Free Triangle posted:

I just got the cipher ability that grants the Brilliant inspiration and it's hilarious on an ascendent and priest. You get free cipher spells forever because the priest keeps getting free salvation of times, which basically means everyone gets infinite duration buffs. I know late game the difficulty breaks, but I didn't expecy your characters to be literally invincible with level 7 spells

SHHH they read this forum they'll see

The only flaw is that it's currently hard to set up the scripting so you automatically cast salvation of time on the cipher whenever he's ascended

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How do Paladins play? I'm planning on doing one as a melee run through. I'm not sure if they're best multi or pure. I've heard multi is better since their best abilities are mostly frontloaded.

I know Crusaders and Heralds are supposed to be really good. It will be a Shield Bearer of St. Eclga, I know that much. And will probably actually use a shield because roleplay and such and also I like shields.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Paladins are strongest as tanks but they also provide light light party buffing and stronger single-target heals / buffs. If you want to emphasize buffing, multi with chanter. If you want an ultratank, multi with fighter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Basic Chunnel posted:

Paladins are strongest as tanks but they also provide light light party buffing and stronger single-target heals / buffs. If you want to emphasize buffing, multi with chanter. If you want an ultratank, multi with fighter.

Paladin / wizard is the best tank in the game if you build it right; wizards double gives +40 deflection till you are hit, but with a paladin / wiz you can stack defenses high enough to never get hit at all.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Paladin / wizard is the best tank in the game if you build it right; wizards double gives +40 deflection till you are hit, but with a paladin / wiz you can stack defenses high enough to never get hit at all.

And if you can get defensive mindweb going it's fun for the whole party.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

SHHH they read this forum they'll see

The only flaw is that it's currently hard to set up the scripting so you automatically cast salvation of time on the cipher whenever he's ascended

Thinking more about it, the broken part isn't just giving the ascended cipher infinite spells, but the priest getting infinite spells. On its own barring deaths door and salvation of time is strong, but when the priest can just arbitrarily extend ancestors mind, then everyone in the party is just forever immune to death.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Seems like the obvious solution is to give the buff duration increase diminishing returns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think the problem is that the brilliant inspiration itself needs a redesign.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
loving lol Tekehu's saucy sex stories if you pursue his romance

"..firing a cannon across her portside and leaving the magnificent vessel crippled in the water."

Tekehu is a pretty fun/funny character.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Finally got around to beast of winter - seems a bit overtuned, I can't land any of my attacks against the things there, plus mobs spawning in once the battle starts is never fun. I tried taking the non-companions as suggested but had to ditch them for my A team. Also gently caress traps forever. :argh:

The setpieces are great though, and I really liked the bridge segment. Edit: Anyone know how I drain the water in the "sunken crown" area?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 2, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Avalerion posted:

Finally got around to beast of winter - seems a bit overtuned, I can't land any of my attacks against the things there, plus mobs spawning in once the battle starts is never fun. I tried taking the non-companions as suggested but had to ditch them for my A team. Also gently caress traps forever. :argh:

Having super high mechanics on your main character as well as someone with good perception (such as Vatnir or Maia) is a must.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
So there's quite a lot of limited use magic items in both PoE1 and PoE2 and in a recent (?) patch all summons are limited as well. Do you actually end up using these or do you fall back the standard of "might need it later"? If you play on PotD and know the game inside out you might save it for certain battles you know where it will be useful but playing normally at least I end up never ever using these items. Seems like a shame. I know summons were way too strong before though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Taear posted:

Having super high mechanics on your main character as well as someone with good perception (such as Vatnir or Maia) is a must.
Vatnir doesn’t have the per to see any of the traps unless you give him +per food AND get him high on sponge cake. If you don’t bring Maia The DLC is the first time the game really threatens your massive food supply stock, because you’ll be sleeping constantly to either heal injuries or to get rid of sponge cake withdrawal.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

netcat posted:

So there's quite a lot of limited use magic items in both PoE1 and PoE2 and in a recent (?) patch all summons are limited as well. Do you actually end up using these or do you fall back the standard of "might need it later"? If you play on PotD and know the game inside out you might save it for certain battles you know where it will be useful but playing normally at least I end up never ever using these items. Seems like a shame. I know summons were way too strong before though.

There's tons of summon items and even dupes of quite a few. I think I had more summon wyrm thingies then I knew what to do with by the end.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I use summons when a fight turns out to be harder or mob-ier than I bargained for. They're not broken out often but they make a difference when they are

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
I usually pop 5x summoning items on the Nemnok fight so I can actually buff

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So I'm doing some theorycrafting for a solo run, not there yet but just have been thinking about it as I'm wrapping up my first playthrough on PotD.

Race: Coastal Aumaua, Mountain Dwarf, or Wild Orlan for Might/Con/Res affliction resistance. Orlan is probably the best since you can pump Perception really high which is important for spotting traps.

Class: Paladin plus something. Paladin is almost required for the large defensive stat boosts, probably Kind Wayfarer for heals or Goldpact for the mini Ironskin. Paladin/Chanter or Paladin/Wizard seem like the best options, chanter gives you damage and healing auras which are boring but good for solo, wizard lets you pump your defenses through the roof and gives you a lot of versatility with magic. Likely generic wizard since the bonuses for specializing don't seem remotely worth losing access to two spell schools. Paladin/Devoted or Paladin/Monk might work okay too.

Gear setup: mace or hammer for penetration, maybe hatchet where penetration isn't as critical. Small or medium shield, I really like the small shield modal. You might also be able to do quarterstaff with modal, that gives you more deflection than a small or medium shield, but the huge recovery speed means you'll be slow to use abilities or spells.

Mechanics is obviously something you'd invest heavily in. I'm not sure what the most critical conversation skills are.

edit: I guess you can still cast locked spell schools from a grimoire, maybe Illusionist would be alright but I still don't think the very meager bonuses are worth losing access to two schools.

edit2: the Illusionist free Mirrored Image seems to just straight up not work, it shows as triggered in the combat log but my PC doesn't get the buff.

Also I'm not sure how wizard/paladin is supposed to work. Yeah you can get +40 deflection from Wizard's Double, but you need +70 deflection relative to enemy Accuracy to avoid hits/grazes and that's not accounting for attacks that target other defenses. It's not as much survivability as it might seem at first glance. I think a Troubadour or Beckoner chanter kit would work better.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 3, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How do you deal with vampires, int enchantment I'm guessing but those seem to be rarer than the rest.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Avalerion posted:

How do you deal with vampires, int enchantment I'm guessing but those seem to be rarer than the rest.

Talking sword gives immunity. Captain's banquet food gives immunity. Have Pallegina eat some and then punch anyone else who gets charmed. Craft up a stack of int. boost priest scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Yesterday Obsidian had a panel at PAX on how Vatnir was made - the VOD can be found here.

They also released a very brief teaser for "Seeker, Slayer, Survivor" (here) and its release date - September 25th.