Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, if you're going to be handling hot peppers, always have a friend touch your penis for you

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Goons With Spoons › Hot Sauce: Always have a friend touch your penis for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did your friend at least apologize to you?

lmao

iospace posted:

This convo has been peak hot sauce thread

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Bravado Ghost Pepper + Blueberry is very good, but I cooked some chicken in it and now I can't go in the kitchen because of the fumes, whoops

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Build your strength. Inhale the vapors.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Accidentally macing yourself is just the price you pay to enjoy spicy foods.

Totally worth it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Trader Joe's sells a yuzu hot sauce that's basically yuzu kosho in vinegar, and it's very good. The bright floral flavor pairs well with cheese, green chiles, and also just about everything I've tried it on. Definitely pick up a bottle if the idea of yuzu hot sauce appeals.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Accidentally macing yourself is just the price you pay to enjoy spicy foods.

Totally worth it.

Ah yes. I remember taking half of a bottle of Melinda's Naga Jolokia to the widely opened eye as I was shaking it and the cap broke off.

I nearly got someone to drive me to the ER.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I use so much hot sauce/handle enough peppers that I end up with Wing Wang at least once a month. I think I'm probably desensitizing my dick, would not recommend. I just forget because I'm so used to it in my hands at this point.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Loutre posted:

I use so much hot sauce/handle enough peppers that I end up with Wing Wang at least once a month. I think I'm probably desensitizing my dick, would not recommend. I just forget because I'm so used to it in my hands at this point.

Why would anyone ever need any sort of endurance lubricant? Just use years of topical capsaicin!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Basic disposable gloves (like the kind a doctor uses) are actually really effective at preventing this type of thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They're useful in a lot of things around the house, to be fair.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I think I've been disrespecting jalapenos my whole life. The hot sauce I made with the ones from our garden is fantastic, I took the seeds and ribs out and it's probably a 1.5/10 on my hotness scale. Which is what I would normally rate jalapenos, sometimes they could occasionally be hotter but not a big deal. I also used them, with seeds and ribs, to make some prik nam pla and eating a sliced piece lit me the gently caress up. Like inedible on my scale of hot. I started to wonder if they were even jalapenos, I was looking online and mine looked a little darker and some had some black coloring but they looked the same. I pretty regularly eat habanero based hot sauces and this blew them out of the water.

To make sure I wasn't crazy, my brother tried them as well who's probably bigger into hot sauces than I am and he said the same thing that it's hotter than any habanero hot sauce he's had. I guess when I eat jalapeno related things they are usually pickled/fermented, don't know if that has any impact on the heat. It's hard to imagine I've been eating jalapeno things and hot sauces without any seeds most of my life.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The VAST majority of "jalapenos" sold now are the TAM variety, which is actually a cross-breed with green bell pepper, and is quite mild. They're the really big one.

If you're growing your own jalapenos and the seeds don't say that they are TAM, then they are likely REAL jalapenos, and actually quite spicy. They'll be like half the size of a TAM.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My mom's friend grows chili peppers and weed for me and he just brought over a ghost pepper plant that has two purple ones on it. Gonna look into doing a fermented sauce this time.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Also when processing jalapenos most recipes call for cooking it down and I believe cooking any pepper makes it lose some heat. (Clearly some of the capsaicin is in the air as steam and will cause irritation or straight up pepper spray clouds depending on the pepper)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Also when processing jalapenos most recipes call for cooking it down and I believe cooking any pepper makes it lose some heat. (Clearly some of the capsaicin is in the air as steam and will cause irritation or straight up pepper spray clouds depending on the pepper)

The last time that I cooked my habenero salmon I forgot that my kitchen doesn’t have a vent fan. Had to breathe through a wet towel.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It isn't technically hot sauce but Herdez guacamole salsa is delicious and the medium variety is significantly hotter than something like red / green Cholula or Valentina.

It's essentially a salsa verde with avocado and I've been putting it on all kinds of stuff. It's especially good as salad dressing.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Thread! Me and my girlfriend bought a $75 shipment of different hot sauces which will be arriving tomorrow. I'll make another post talking about each of them but first I have to taste them! I'm gonna make a ton of chicken wings as kind of an amateur Hot Ones lineup. What's the best way to cook a chicken wing as a hot sauce delivery system? breaded and fried or baked?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Doc Walrus posted:

Thread! Me and my girlfriend bought a $75 shipment of different hot sauces which will be arriving tomorrow. I'll make another post talking about each of them but first I have to taste them! I'm gonna make a ton of chicken wings as kind of an amateur Hot Ones lineup. What's the best way to cook a chicken wing as a hot sauce delivery system? breaded and fried or baked?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

If you follow this recipe, they are better than fried wings. Its a bit of a process. Dry the wings, toss with salt and baking powder, leave the wings uncovered over night. Bake to perfection. My wife isn't really big on wings, I make this recipe alot now because she loves how crispy and tender the wings come out after the whole process. Once baked, toss with sauce and enjoy.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

http://hostthetoast.com/baked-chicken-wings-honey-chipotle-garlic-sauce/

Similar to the recipe above, using baking soda and salt, but no need to leave them overnight.
Skip the sauce, obviously, if you are bringing your own.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhh fried wings are the best hth

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BioTech posted:

Similar to the recipe above, using baking soda and salt, but no need to leave them overnight.

Jesus christ what is with these food bloggers? I don't need to read your life's story and how it prepared you for these loving chicken wings, just make with the recipe already!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PT6A posted:

Jesus christ what is with these food bloggers? I don't need to read your life's story and how it prepared you for these loving chicken wings, just make with the recipe already!

The short answer is: without the life's story, why would you ever come back to that food blogger as opposed to any other recipe source?

For the long answer take a look here:

https://cadryskitchen.com/2018/06/06/food-blog-pet-peeves/

But you are, of course, not alone:
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2017/12/why_does_every_online_recipe_begin_with_the_preface_to_a_personal_memoir.html

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Every recipe/cookbook/food blog should be written like the Les Halles Cookbook. Recipe clearly available and unembellished (and clearly written for someone who knows what a kitchen is), asides focused, relevant and interesting.

But what did Anthony Bourdain know? He's only one of the most respected food writers of all time, I assume McFuck the Cooking Blogger knows better.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uhh fried wings are the best hth

I agree whole heartily, but I hate frying at home.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

Every recipe/cookbook/food blog should be written like the Les Halles Cookbook. Recipe clearly available and unembellished (and clearly written for someone who knows what a kitchen is), asides focused, relevant and interesting.

But what did Anthony Bourdain know? He's only one of the most respected food writers of all time, I assume McFuck the Cooking Blogger knows better.

Very few people know how to begin a piece of technical writing. Even $300 textbooks gotta ramble on about god, mother and apple pie for 20 pages before they get into anything you might want to know.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

BioTech posted:

This is the recipe I went with since I didn't have time for an overnight prep. Came out nice and crispy, but holy gently caress I never thought I'd cook chicken wings for over an hour.

:meowth:THE SAUCES::meowth:

Cafe Tequila Roasted Habanero

One of the hotter sauces I ordered, which tells you how good I am with spicy food (not very!) Tastes fantastic, like a dark roasted salsa with more of a pepper taste than a tomato taste. Thick consistency, great for dabbing. Best bottle design out of the set, too, of course.

Haitian Heat Sexy Sauce

Another pretty hot one. Also very tasty and a little fruity, but not extremely so. Surprisingly thin-- like very, very thin and drippy.

Red Amazon Pepper Sauce

Medium heat in the context of this set. Very vinegar heavy, which I like, but my girlfriend hates it as much as she hates buffalo sauce. Same texture as buffalo sauce, more or less, but with a very different peppery taste.

Big Daddy Trevi's GoatWhore: Blood For The Master
Believe me when I say this isn't hot sauce. It's a nice barbecue sauce with a silly label. Worcestershire is the major ingredient, and it tastes good for what it is. Which isn't hot sauce.

Secret Aardvark Habanero
Aardvark is the best hot sauce in this set by all metrics, but that's okay. There's a lot of great hot sauces out there and you don't have to pick Aardvark every time. But you'd be fine if you did.

Dirty Dick's Hot Sauce
Medium heat, fantastic sweet-and-spicy sauce. Same consistency as buffalo or Tabasco sauce-- thin, but not watery.

Trinidad Caribbean Pepper Sauce (Medium)
Kind of a middle ground between Red Amazon and Dirty Dick's. Good sauce, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's not a star in this lineup.

Matouk's Calypso Sauce
Medium-high heat in this set. Tastes creamy and pretty sweet, maybe sweeter than Dirty Dick's but not sugary sweet. By far the thickest sauce in this set.

Bravado Pineapple & Habanero Sauce
Girlfriend's favorite. I didn't taste it-- not a pineapple fan at all.

Speaking of which, bonus points to my girlfriend for hanging out next to the kitchen taking swigs of each hot sauce while I made the chicken. You can find all of these hot sauces, and order delivery, at Tears of Joy, an Austin TX-based hot sauce shop. Parking is such a crock of poo poo downtown that delivery might even be the cheaper choice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here's a cool video from Epicurious blind-comparing cheap vs. expensive hot sauces. Definitely worth a watch, and that guy absolutely knows his stuff.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

Here's a cool video from Epicurious blind-comparing cheap vs. expensive hot sauces. Definitely worth a watch, and that guy absolutely knows his stuff.

That was interesting, but I would have liked to see what hot sauces he was actually using.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

So where do you all go to buy hot sauces online? I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on hot sauce but it feels bad to spend $10 on a single bottle when I go to the local hispanic grocery store and pick up a couple of bottles of Yucateco or Valentina for the same price.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

AnimeIsTrash posted:

So where do you all go to buy hot sauces online? I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on hot sauce but it feels bad to spend $10 on a single bottle when I go to the local hispanic grocery store and pick up a couple of bottles of Yucateco or Valentina for the same price.

$10+ is pretty standard for good hot sauces that aren’t mass produced at the levels of Tabasco/El Yuc/etc

I’ve always ordered from Heatonist, they have awesome customer service. But even Amazon is pretty great.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
If anyone here is bottling their own sauce: can you recommend a good pH meter? I'm not trusting the pH strips i got (2.0-6.0 pH, i think) because my sauce is discoloring them more than I'd like.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

$10+ is pretty standard for good hot sauces that aren’t mass produced at the levels of Tabasco/El Yuc/etc

I’ve always ordered from Heatonist, they have awesome customer service. But even Amazon is pretty great.

not a fan of their selection and prices seem high.

look on amazon then go to the actual store's website imho

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Do any of you folks use hot sauce as part of a burger/sandwich spread, and if so which hot sauces do you favor for the task? A restaurant in town used to make burger with what the chef called a "spicy cajun spread" and it was amazing. Genuinely spicy and flavorful. Sadly, the restaurant closed down about a year ago and I've wanted to recreate the burger myself. I bought some cajun mayonnaise on a lark and dear god was that awful. I figure I should do some experimenting on my own but I'm not a hot sauce expert by any means and uncertain where to start. All I can really figure is maybe I should grab something ostensibly out of Louisana and mix it with some mayonnaise.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Homemade dill pickled green tomato relish, mayo (I like homemade or Heinz), Jay D's molasses mustard, and Camden's catsup makes a great burger spread. Add some Louisiana brand or Crystal for heat.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I assume that "spicy cajun spread" was something like remoulade? here's one recipe for it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/sauced-louisiana-remoulade-recipe.html

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thank you both for the recommendations. The remoulade in particular seems promising, and looks just like the sauce that I remember.

On a lark I actually grabbed some Crystal at the store just now. I was gonna try mixing it with some mayo and see what happens but now that I have some more qualified recommendations I’m gonna hold off and take a stab at it after another grocery run tomorrow.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

I assume that "spicy cajun spread" was something like remoulade? here's one recipe for it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/sauced-louisiana-remoulade-recipe.html

This is almost definitely the case and remoulade is basically whatever good tasting stuff mixed with mayo. Make it up as you go. Ume vinegar pickled onions? Go for it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This is almost definitely the case and remoulade is basically whatever good tasting stuff mixed with mayo. Make it up as you go. Ume vinegar pickled onions? Go for it.

I’m glad you said this because I decided to experiment prematurely. I threw together some stuff I had on hand, some mayo, Crystal (lots), chili powder, a bit of ketchup, ground black pepper, and garlic powder. It came out okay, I think maybe the safflower mayonnaise I’m using isn’t suited for what I’m trying to do. No matter how much Crystal I threw in, it just seems lack the bite I’m looking for. Maybe a different mayo and some actual cayenne pepper would help.

Honestly might try belizean heat when it comes in the mail. I know habanero isn’t a likely element but I’ve always liked adding habanero to other foods I’ve made so I feel like it might bear out

E: pretty good for dipping fries in though

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
IMO add hot sauce and Cajun seasoning.