Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The speech from the podcast about the Transformers movie and how each film is a reboot of the franchise it's in and that implies that we really are reaching the cultural singularity and that Goonies VS SAW is going to happen in some form also applies to the Resident Evil movies.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

he's an international treasure and we'll speak no more of this

https://youtu.be/CLL90q3as4M

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

1st AD posted:

Naw, the one scene in RE5 where Wesker is in the Oval Office owns and is worth the existence of the entire series.

motherfucker gets killed by a door in 6.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Some more loving around with the randomiser and:

Well that's loving terrifying.

Guess I'm dead then.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Guess I'm dead then.

Oh lord that’s rooftop variant in close quarters isn’t it? :wtc:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

that mod is reminding me of this fun RE4 mod I discovered at the beginning of summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxVxzLiGk8U&t=465s

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Spiffster posted:

Oh lord that’s rooftop variant in close quarters isn’t it? :wtc:

Yes indeed and if you come back after getting the armour key then the zombie that bursts through the balcony door is another rooftop variant bringing the total in that room to *four*.

Trying to get a link to another randomizer that Carcinogen was showing off the other day because it's a door randomizer so instead of going out into the cemetery from the main hall you end up in Black Tiger's room and lol get hosed. You'd probably have to draw a map as you went so that you could vaguely remember where everything is.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yes indeed and if you come back after getting the armour key then the zombie that bursts through the balcony door is another rooftop variant bringing the total in that room to *four*.

Trying to get a link to another randomizer that Carcinogen was showing off the other day because it's a door randomizer so instead of going out into the cemetery from the main hall you end up in Black Tiger's room and lol get hosed. You'd probably have to draw a map as you went so that you could vaguely remember where everything is.

It's the same randomiser as the item and enemy one. Just get the latest version http://benn-gaming.co.uk/rerandomizer.html , following the development on twitter has been interesting.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Aces High posted:

that mod is reminding me of this fun RE4 mod I discovered at the beginning of summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxVxzLiGk8U&t=465s

This is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azDm_LD0SrA&t=2770s

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Hel posted:

It's the same randomiser as the item and enemy one. Just get the latest version http://benn-gaming.co.uk/rerandomizer.html , following the development on twitter has been interesting.

I better start following that Twitter account then, thanks for the heads up!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Came across some tidbit that the original shared some code with Goof Troop for the SNES, and

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/resident_evil_nearly_got_its_start_on_the_snes

quote:

If we had actually completed it on the SNES, I’m sure it would have been considerably different. For example, it was originally set in a place that had nothing to do with reality – more of a hellish place.

I didn't know this was in existence either. Or that it was available, rather.
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

Seems better than what we ended up with.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 30, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Eurgh, that dumb garbage Romero script starring Chris 'Dances With Bears' Redfield also filling in for Doctor Doolittle. What poo poo. As crummy as the movie we got turned out (with ever-worsening sequels full of the dumbest loving poo poo like Wesker losing to a door), I think it was the lesser of two Evils (hur hur) simply for avoiding the trap of trying to write the game as a movie.

codo27 posted:

the original shared some code with Goof Troop for the SNES

Interesting article to see where RE sort-of began, but oh no it's that loving can of Goof Troop worms again!

I've seen this "fact" about the first RE "using a (heavily) modified Goof Troop engine" being thrown around numerous times but never any actual evidence provided with it, or even anything to determine exactly what code was shared between them. For this early SNES version, sure it makes a lot of sense for both of these games on one platform to then share a base engine, but when development of RE was transferred to the PlayStation and restarted with full 3D and poo poo? That statement then seems to be stretching things without providing any details, never mind that at one point development was even going in the direction of becoming a first-person shooter. To what extent was the engine modified anyway? Was most of it completely gutted out and filled in with something different? Why does this nonsense rattle my cage so much?

Because it's such a goddamn nebulous statement :v:

For reference, the Source engine is a "heavily modified" Quake engine. "Wow!", someone, somewhere is presumably saying; "They made the Quake engine capable of doing all that that stuff?" Well, yeah but no, not really, since it was all effectively blown out and rewritten to the point where it's not even close to the Quake engine anymore; aside from the most basic bits and pieces there's hardly any original Quake code in it! Nobody says "Half-Life 2 runs on a heavily modified Quake engine", because the vast majority of the engine is entirely new and has nothing to do with what made Quake tick. Same goes for RE, because in what way does it look or feel anywhere close to Goof Troop? The screen fading between rooms?! Oh come on!

Bah, I say. BAH.

That rant aside, remember a while back when we were talking about other remasters and remakes from Capcom and I mentioned how I'd be all over a remaster of Onimusha? My wish came true! :allears:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

That rant aside, remember a while back when we were talking about other remasters and remakes from Capcom and I mentioned how I'd be all over a remaster of Onimusha? My wish came true! :allears:

I'm glad Capcom is finally bringing back these titles, especially the ones that never got a PC port.

Really hope they do Viewtiful Joe next! If killer7 gets one I think those games should as well :colbert:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I want Goof Twoop to be developed on the MT Framework engine.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Also make Pete extremely ripped to shreds like RE5 Chris.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I'm surprised no one posted this.

Capcom streamed some RE2make gameplay today, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/303718140

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Anonymous Robot posted:

I want Goof Twoop to be developed on the MT Framework engine.
Goof Troop: Revelations.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Also make Pete extremely ripped to shreds like RE5 Chris.
Chris was an even bigger lump of sentient raw muscle in RE6, we just never got to see him hit giant monsters in the face because contractually he wasn't allowed to; new boy & part-time WWE superman Jake was filling that role. Chris could probably have punched the Moon away in RE6 if he had to, before they went ahead and super-nerfed him in RE7.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

I'm surprised no one posted this.

Capcom streamed some RE2make gameplay today, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/303718140

Jeez, I know it's a demo but 0 fps on ps4 pro is kinda rough. Maybe if Leon's hair didn't move around so needlessly with every move

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

codo27 posted:

Jeez, I know it's a demo but 0 fps on ps4 pro is kinda rough.

Trying to parse this, I'm not sure what you mean by this? 0 fps? No first person view mode?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's weird seeing Leon just opening doors and the next room is already there, instead of having a loading screen.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Capcom, I will pay $10 for a door screen DLC

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Trying to parse this, I'm not sure what you mean by this? 0 fps? No first person view mode?

Frames per second, means the game is chugging hard and freezing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Frames per second, means the game is chugging hard and freezing.

He's specifically playing the E3 demo. It's bad PR, but it means they've got problems with that particular vertical slice. It'll get ironed out. I don't think the game's gone gold yet.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Considering RE7 runs nice and smooth on the original PS4 I doubt the remake will have any serious issues. I mean we are still fighting monsters in narrow hallways its not exactly a resource hog like open world games.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 31, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
And I'm not worried about the PC port honestly, Capcom seems to get that their actually not something you can phone home. God the Dead Rising port was perfect...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
capcom is usually (but not always) quite good with pc ports

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

framerate on the ps4 looks fine from that twitch, the hell is wrong with your eyes. i loaded it up expecting 10fps and freezes and lmao, i swear some of you have got bugs in your brain.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 31, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Once you got a SUPER l337 AMAZING LOW LATENCY G SYNC monitor everything else just looks like trash. Anything below a clean 60+ is painful to me now.

Anyway I still think the Romero script is better. I dont even remember anything about the first RE movie besides the lasers and that I was pretty sure you could see Mila's vag or at least pubes when she woke up in that medical room or whatever the hell. So disappointed I never did rewatch or watch the sequels.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

codo27 posted:

Once you got a SUPER l337 AMAZING LOW LATENCY G SYNC monitor everything else just looks like trash. Anything below a clean 60+ is painful to me now.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Aww what a happy looking snail!

Did a run with enemy/item/room rando running for RE HD Remaster. Played on Normal as Jill. Some thoughts/highlights:

• Bring a pad of paper and something to draw with. You WILL want to try and map out where all the rooms and corridors are now going. I tried it with an excel spreadsheet and it did not go so well.
  • I finished the game in about 45 minutes thanks to the seed. Stumbled across the final corridor before the helipad lift. The lift to the helipad isn't randomized because of the countdown timer starting when you put the battery in and that would be unfair. The game treated the ending as setting off the self-destruct system, no Chris rescued, and I got Barry killed on the helipad (sorry dude).
  • Thank gently caress the randomizer now includes the option to switch between lab and helipad tyrant variants instead of being stuck with just helipad. That was a death sentence in certain areas.
  • Some doors do not randomize well. The dining room hallway, leading to the west hallway with access to the tiger statue and plant room, is a bit finnicky. As is the ground floor east bathroom hallway door. I chalk it up to these doors being demolished by Hunters when you come back for mansion round 2.
  • All the keys are removed with the exception of key objects. This leads to some weird situations where you can't open the door under the stairs in the main hall unless you have both stone & metal objects, but you could randomize to the room beyond that... Which is exactly where the door to the Forrest balcony took me so I had access a safe room directly from the main hall. This brings me to the next point...
  • Just lol if you don't find a safe room that's relatively easy-access early on.

Overall pretty fun, but not for the faint of heart. I think enemy/Item is probably the sweet randomizer spot, or enemy/room.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

capcom is usually (but not always) quite good with pc ports

Counterpoint: MHW is the crappiest, most shittiest low-effort port you will ever play.

It's weird because RE7 runs on toasters and still looks & runs beautifully.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Counterpoint: MHW is the crappiest, most shittiest low-effort port you will ever play.

It's weird because RE7 runs on toasters and still looks & runs beautifully.

Isn't Monster Hunter World ported by the developers themselves because they didn't trust any of the divisions of Capcom actually experienced with PC ports to do it and as a result, you've got a low effort mess that came out months after the console release instead of a good port coming out at the same time as the console release?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Isn't Monster Hunter World ported by the developers themselves because they didn't trust any of the divisions of Capcom actually experienced with PC ports to do it and as a result, you've got a low effort mess that came out months after the console release instead of a good port coming out at the same time as the console release?

Basically yeah. It's less than low effort, there's virtually zero effort that's been put into it.

- only low texture setting works, medium and high textures don't work and as a result the console versions have greater detail especially on monsters and gear
- lightning effects spike the framerate
- elder's recess map has a hitching bug where the frame spikes exactly every 5 seconds, don't ask me why
- they claim to have 'fixed' it but mouse input still simulates joypad input
- the multiplayer is still borderline unplayable nearly a month after launch
- it's stuck at 100% CPU usage even on hex cores, with 25% of CPU time spent literally just telling the game to use different threads (this task normally takes up 1-2%, not 25%)
- loading takes twice as long if vsync is enabled, if you turn off vsync and turn off any frame caps, the loading is twice as fast
- no anti-cheat in place, so there are 1 second kills on global arena scoreboards, and Chinese players are modifying other players' inventories in their hunts, throwing away dozens of hours of work

These are off the top of my head, the port isn't just poo poo, it is a loving disgrace and a testament to what happens when a developer literally give zero fucks about their golden goose on a platform that has already sold more copies than the Xbox version.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I thought it had extra effort put into it, but that effort came from buffoons who made everything worse.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ada's design has been leaked

garbage opinion : not a huge fan and this is not only because it just screams "I'm a Spy" but also because I have some kind of weird obsession with RE characters keeping their assigned colors (blue for Jill and Leon, green for Chris, Red for Claire, Ada and Barry and so on) I know it's a very dumb thing to care about but whatever

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after they changed Claire's outfit it didn't surprise me to see Ada go through a similar revision, since in retrospect doing covert poo poo in a red dress made no sense. It made more sense in RE4 since she I assumed she dressed like that to get Carlos, a self-asserted ladies man, to work with her.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well red dress also just screams Femme Fatale so they’re keeping up with very obvious character design.

Also that coat seems tailor made to be removed very dramatically at the appropriate time.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Creamed Cormp posted:

Ada's design has been leaked

garbage opinion : not a huge fan and this is not only because it just screams "I'm a Spy" but also because I have some kind of weird obsession with RE characters keeping their assigned colors (blue for Jill and Leon, green for Chris, Red for Claire, Ada and Barry and so on) I know it's a very dumb thing to care about but whatever

Agreed. Ada always rocks red wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

Also that coat seems tailor made to be removed very dramatically at the appropriate time.

Where do you think she keeps the rocket launcher?