Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I wrote up a PYF historical photos thread, would be great if y'all would fill it with some of that good stuff! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When it comes to shopping the thing that freaks people out about PA words is "buggy." The paper or plastic bags are just bags but the shopping carts are buggies to people from certain areas.

Buggy is the preferred word for shopping cart in my neck of southern Georgia.

Though it's a southern thing, but it's also an only in certain areas southern thing, the phrase "the devil is beating his wife."

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

FiftyFour posted:

If yer want er receepee fer soseegees lewk in er cewk bewk, thee sellum at powst offeece.

I teach English in Hanoi and the only thing funnier to my students than my Stoke accent is when I teach them a bit of Welsh.

You. Monster.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I was born in New Jersey where I lived for about 3 months, before spending 2 years in Colombia with my father's family. We came back to the states and moved into South Florida, but I ended up being real good at baseball and spent all my summers traveling around the south playing in showcases and tournaments. I have a very heavy jersey accent on some words like Water (woder? Something like that there's no T), I speak like paisano colombian Spanish, not like hick but I guess maybe the equivalent of a southern accent in English. It's a regional accent of someone raised around farms or country side, and in English I'll pick up a heavy heavy southern accent around baseball or if someone around me speaks with it. People have asked if I'm copying them! Awkward

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Though it's a southern thing, but it's also an only in certain areas southern thing, the phrase "the devil is beating his wife."

You'll find that parts of Pennsylvania and for instance, parts of North Carolina have similar vernacular because of Appalachia. My husband is from the mountains of NC and felt right at home in college in Pittsburgh with the way people spoke.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Accent change and pickup seems to vary a lot from person to person because I have a friend who has kept a really strong midlands accent even after several years in Brussels and France, but even before I left the UK mine was already mushing itself into this ambiguous thing that regularly gets me mistaken for an eastern European, an American or a German.

There's a youtube channel that has some really good videos on language history. The animations/images the guy uses are pretty low - quality, but he's very passionate and interesting to listen to.

Red Bones has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Sep 1, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I’d never heard the term ‘buggy’ IRT shopping carts ‘til I lived in in Savannah for awhile. Is it widespread across the South or is it a micro-region thing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Red Bones posted:

Accent change and pickup seems to vary a lot from person to person because I have a friend who has kept a really strong midlands accent even after several years in Brussels and France, but even before I left the UK mine was already mushing itself into this ambiguous thing that regularly gets me mistaken for an eastern European, an American or a German.

There's a youtube channel that has some really good videos on language history. The animations/images the guy uses are pretty low - quality, but he's very passionate and interesting to listen to.

there's also the classic example in Arnold Schwarzenegger. For some 40 years now he's been speaking English but you can tell he's Austrian.

also Korean Billy kicks rear end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6A2NqeoNnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45kApPg9r6Q

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

JnnyThndrs posted:

I’d never heard the term ‘buggy’ IRT shopping carts ‘til I lived in in Savannah for awhile. Is it widespread across the South or is it a micro-region thing?
I have a friend from Tallahassee who says "buggy", so it's at least used around there.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

I have a friend from Tallahassee who says "buggy", so it's at least used around there.

From northern Alabama to Tampa Bay, I've always heard buggy. To my mind a buggy has sides, a cart is flat.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The highest concentration of Basque outside of Basque Country in Spain is in Boise, Idaho.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I probably mentioned it in this thread before but to me it's super interesting that the the Basques and the Algonquin Mi'kmaqs had so much contact esp re whaling that it shows in their vocabulary to this day.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

there's also the classic example in Arnold Schwarzenegger.

According to Arnold himself, he can apparently speak perfect English.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sure... I'll believe it if I hear it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's kind of cool that the things that people told him would prevent him from being a big Hollywood star - his name, his impenetrably thick Austrian accent, and his impenetrably thick Austrian muscles - became his trademark.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's kind of cool that the things that people told him would prevent him from being a big Hollywood star - his name, his impenetrably thick Austrian accent, and his impenetrably thick Austrian muscles - became his trademark.

He is not a dumb man. He literally took his weaknesses and turned them into his strengths and ran it until he was one of the lesser terrible republicans politicians.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

So that means, the person with the best Arnie imitation in the world is Arnie?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was looking up an old convent in Dublin today for completely unrelated reasons, and the research led me to records of claims made for damages following from the 1916 Rising. Two sisters (actual sisters, not necessarily nun-type sisters) who were living in the convent at the time put in a claim for nearly £600 in damages arising from the looting of 7 trunks, which seemed to me to be a huge sum. The archive has a full breakdown of all the items they said were looted in the violence that followed on from the Easter Rising.

The full entry is here:

http://centenaries.nationalarchives.ie/reels/plic/PLIC_1_2628.pdf

Why did they have so many dresses? - I counted 47 at least, that seems like an awful lot for even fairly wealthy people at the time.
Why did they have them in storage? - If they were living full-time in the convent, surely they were nuns, so why not sell/give away their old dresses?
Everything was bought in the US, so were they irish-americans who came home to the old country to become nuns, or were they Americans who just really wanted to be nuns in Ireland?
I am a dummy, the convent wasn't just a convent, it was run as a home for Aged and Virtuous Single Women, so presumably the Creamer sisters retired to live there in pious comfort.

Plus they were only approved for £210 in damages so either they got ripped off or the Board thought they were boosting the value of the stolen items, which isn't very nunly.
The only census records online are for 1901 and 1911 and I don't see their names on them which might mean they weren't in the country at that time, or maybe they were recorded under their new Nun names.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Sep 3, 2018

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

$10 in 1916 had the same buying power as $239 today. gently caress if I'm paying $239 for two large boxes of breakfast.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
to be fair insurance fraud ranks very low in the sins when it comes to early 20th century Irish nuns

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tashilicious posted:

He is not a dumb man. He literally took his weaknesses and turned them into his strengths and ran it until he was one of the lesser terrible republicans politicians.

His autobiography was a really interesting read

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

$10 in 1916 had the same buying power as $239 today. gently caress if I'm paying $239 for two large boxes of breakfast.

Enjoy your sawdust flakes then, this was pre FDA and I'mma get my large breakfast boxes in full.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

How much breakfast is in one box, anyway?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

How much breakfast is in one box, anyway?

Eight.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Pshh like three, tops.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Pookah posted:

I was looking up an old convent in Dublin today for completely unrelated reasons, and the research led me to records of claims made for damages following from the 1916 Rising. Two sisters (actual sisters, not necessarily nun-type sisters) who were living in the convent at the time put in a claim for nearly £600 in damages arising from the looting of 7 trunks, which seemed to me to be a huge sum. The archive has a full breakdown of all the items they said were looted in the violence that followed on from the Easter Rising.

The full entry is here:

http://centenaries.nationalarchives.ie/reels/plic/PLIC_1_2628.pdf

Why did they have so many dresses? - I counted 47 at least, that seems like an awful lot for even fairly wealthy people at the time.
Why did they have them in storage? - If they were living full-time in the convent, surely they were nuns, so why not sell/give away their old dresses?
Everything was bought in the US, so were they irish-americans who came home to the old country to become nuns, or were they Americans who just really wanted to be nuns in Ireland?
I am a dummy, the convent wasn't just a convent, it was run as a home for Aged and Virtuous Single Women, so presumably the Creamer sisters retired to live there in pious comfort.

Plus they were only approved for £210 in damages so either they got ripped off or the Board thought they were boosting the value of the stolen items, which isn't very nunly.
The only census records online are for 1901 and 1911 and I don't see their names on them which might mean they weren't in the country at that time, or maybe they were recorded under their new Nun names.

They probably kept every dress they ever owned. In 1916 it wasn't unusual for a lady of what we would call upper middle class to change her dress several times a day, depending on her activities. Some of the trims mentioned are very expensive, so again it wasn't unusual to salvage what they could from an old dress to add to a new one. My French-Canadian great-aunts used to do this, as well as saving every button they could from old or worn clothes. Buttons and trim could, and often still do, easily cost more than the fabric used for the clothes which they adorned.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Khazar-khum posted:

They probably kept every dress they ever owned. In 1916 it wasn't unusual for a lady of what we would call upper middle class to change her dress several times a day, depending on her activities. Some of the trims mentioned are very expensive, so again it wasn't unusual to salvage what they could from an old dress to add to a new one. My French-Canadian great-aunts used to do this, as well as saving every button they could from old or worn clothes. Buttons and trim could, and often still do, easily cost more than the fabric used for the clothes which they adorned.

Now that I think about it - the stuff that's listed was just what they had put away in storage; they must have had full wardrobes of other clothes with them in the convent/rest home - they must have been very comfortably-off. If I remember correctly, it was pretty traditional for well-off single women to retire to convents to live as paying-guests. They'd get the best of everything, so it'd be more like a nice residential hotel with nuns than any kind of lifelong penitential existence.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Some of the letters say that the Misses now reside at St. Joseph's Asylum, Portland Row, Dublin. Google says the full name St. Joseph's Asylum for Aged and Virtuous Single Women. Is that the convent you were researching or did they move?

Definitely sounds like a place for rich spinsters. They couldn't very well become housekeepers!

(speaking of, ads for housekeepers were often a form of personals; a single man or widower would hire a housekeeper for 6 months and if they hit it off/didn't hate each other, they got married)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

Schwarzenegger is one of the savviest businessmen of his generation of actors. When he came to the US at the age of 21, he had the modern equivalent of $200,000 from saving and investing his bodybuilding winnings. He invested in gyms, mail order training equipment and supplement businesses, and even started a bricklaying company with a friend in Los Angeles where they advertised themselves as "specialty European bricklayers" with double their original price to encourage rich people to hire them. After he got into real estate, he became a millionaire before he was 30.

He became an actor because he wanted to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Arnie's gimmick is basically a circus strongman that he leveraged into stardom because it's a surprisingly versatile niche. Probably not a coincidence that his first role was Hercules. (in an amazingly bad movie, but still)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Arnie's gimmick is basically a circus strongman that he leveraged into stardom because it's a surprisingly versatile niche. Probably not a coincidence that his first role was Hercules. (in an amazingly bad movie, but still)

Calling him just a "circus strongman" is vastly underselling his achievements as an athelete and in the field of fitness

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
A circus strongman who knows what people will pay for, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He is also really charismatic (within his acting niche) and knows how to play to his strengths. He's also funny when he makes the effort.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ancient Greece didn’t have a word for homosexual. Tossin salads was normal.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What about scrambling eggs?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

ChocNitty posted:

Ancient Greece didn’t have a word for homosexual. Tossin salads was normal.

historiography is dead. long live buzzfeed's "welcome to your world" stories, edition 17: Greece vs The Guy From 300

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

bony tony posted:

What about scrambling eggs?

They're calling again

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bony tony posted:

He is also really charismatic (within his acting niche) and knows how to play to his strengths. He's also funny when he makes the effort.

I don't think you can underestimate Arnie's charisma. I had to interview him a couple of years ago and even being generally pretty eh about celebrities he's got this weird aura that makes you like him. You can totally see why he became a politician.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I was reading an article about how the official lists of German WWI casualties have been fully digitised by volunteers and stumbled upon what is probably the weirdest casualty of the war:

Casualty List, p. 18,961 posted:

Reserve first lieutenant Bertram von Lekow, 156th Infantery Regiment [in German East Africa, i.e. today's Tanzania], born August 15th, 1879 in Zapplau [a small village in Lower Silesia] - while laying down telegraph wire, he was badly wounded by a rhinoceros.

I tried to find out more about that guy. Sadly no details about the rhino story, but von Lekow was born into one of East Germany's numerous noble families that owned large tracts of land in the parts of the empire east of the Elbe river. In his case, his family had owned Zapplau castle since 1827, together with about 1.2 square miles of land surrounding it (the family had owned its namesake, Lekow in today's NW Poland, for at least five centuries before finally selling it in 1828). Von Lekow later owned a plantation in what is today NE Tanzania, where he was friends with painter and author Ernst Vollbehr (who would later go on to become one of Hitler's favourite painters and an enthusiastic Nazi). Von Lekow survived his unfortunate rhino encounter and remained in Tanzania even after Germany lost the war and the colony of German East Africa was formally taken over by the British. He seems to still have been alive in 1957, when a petition in his support was sent to the United Nations. Unfortunately I don't know why he needed support - maybe he got in trouble with the British colonial authorities, or it was one of the many hundreds of petitions reaching the UN in support of Tanzanian independence?

In any case, the von Lekows are still around in Africa, with probably their best-known descendent being Maia von Lekow, a Kenyan jazz musician. Her album "Drift" is on Spotify if you wanna give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VuKGL1xdSg

I gathered all this information without leaving my chair even once. Ain't the internet grand? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It'd be more weird if he didn't get hurt by a rhino.