Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Arrrg I just totally messed up one of those shared coder pad screens. Oh well.

meatpotato posted:

I’m about to mess one up in five minutes

hahah, turns out that they still want me for an in person interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

hahah, turns out that they still want me for an in person interview.

It's nice when interviewers know that their tests suck

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

still woulda been nice not to gently caress up, but i hosed up so catastrophically that i dont really mind.
like, did you accidentally start talking about goat loving or something? how could it be that bad?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Diva Cupcake posted:

like, did you accidentally start talking about goat loving or something? how could it be that bad?

it was real dumb. i chose to try and solve the problem in scala because it's what i was the most comfortable with of the given languages, but the problem they wanted me to solve was incredibly imperative and i confused the gently caress out of myself trying to write imperative scala, basically.

also i completely forget everything i know about programming when i'm in the middle of a coding session.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

also i completely forget everything i know about programming when i'm in the middle of a coding session.

yeah, likewise...

first technical phone interview in a few years: i didn't do great, but i didn't outright fail. I struggled to remember some some C++ stuff but remembered and fixed it however i probably looked goofy.

the guy didn't leave much time for yospos canonical reverse interview questions and cut me off before i could finish, so hmm. a few red flags, sounds like a pretty typical (disorganized) startup.

get this, their interview process is:
technical phone screen (one hour)
another technical phone screen (one hour)
day onsite of several one hour one-on-one interviews
another onsite where you give a one hour presentation about a technical subject to a panel (~20-30 minutes presenting, ~30 minutes Q/A)
take-home project

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
q not e

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That's too much work for an interview

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
agreed, but it's just bonus interview practice for me, somebody who needs to practice interviewing

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

wow that's a lot of effort to work at a startup

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Having to take multiple days off is a red flag for me.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Chiming in with the chorus of "give me a loving break thats too much stuff". Two technical phone screens and a loving presentation? They're out of their mind if they think they're gonna get anyone with actual responsibilities at their current job.

At the other end of the spectrum, I recently did a phone screen with microsoft (one of their cloud teams) and it was a very reasonable tech phone screen and now they want me to come in... and I guess after that its yes/no? Very bullshit free so far compared to the process I've heard about at the other big shops.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

ADINSX posted:

Probably; but at least they gave you a bit more. If I suspect I'm underpaid, I've had success in the past by talking to my manager and saying 'I know I screwed up negotiating when hired and would like a raise to compensate'. Obviously depends on the company policy/culture/how much they need you, etc.

Congrats anyway, if nothing else you'll know better next time.

I feel like i'm in the correct ballpark at least from my palz that work there.

Joke's on them they could have offered half as much and I would have said yes yes yes.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

meatpotato posted:

I’m about to mess one up in five minutes

i did really well on mine, and we had a great time although it was nerve wracking having three people staring me down.
i was able to spin the questions that they were asking into things that were relevant to their business and that got a lot of happy noises.

i wouldn't have done really well if i hadn't spent a lot of time practicing on my own and roleplaying it out in my head.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ultravoices posted:

I feel like i'm in the correct ballpark at least from my palz that work there.

Joke's on them they could have offered half as much and I would have said yes yes yes.

Well thats great, severely underpaying someone just means they're gonna be pissed when they find out what they really should have been making, so good for them thinking long term. Hope it works out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fiedler posted:

some people insist that their team doesn't suck, but the general consensus is, "you don't want to work for amazon"
Yeah, a good friend of mine works for them and he has completely drunk the kool-aide. Posted this big old "well, actually..." thing on facebook about warehouse safety and got kind of bent out of shape a little when I 1) pointed out that as a computer toucher, he's coddled in ways that warehouse people never even dreamed of and it's a bit like the difference between being John Travolta and some poor gently caress in the Sea Org 2) pointed out that it's seriously the only real job he's ever had and 3) I repeatedly referred to Jeff Bezos as Jefe Kisses.

There was another one that was even more into taking the "ure" out of "corporate culture", but apparently she did a lot of time at Apple so she's practically to the manner born.

You are not alone in this.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just went to an in person tech screen. Pretty sure I flunked it, they asked me to whiteboard an algorithm to serialise a binary tree structure (not a binary search tree, just any unsorted binary tree) and one to deserialise it into the same structure. I got there in the end but there was a lot of prompting. Also not sure if the company culture is really my thing anyway though, but I would've been interested in seeing the salary they offer.

qhat fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 5, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Just went to an in person tech screen. Pretty sure I flunked it, they asked me to whiteboard an algorithm to serialise a binary tree structure (not a binary search tree, just any unsorted binary tree) and one to deserialise it into the same structure. I got there in the end but there was a lot of prompting. Also not sure if the company culture is really my thing anyway though, but I would've been interested in seeing the salary they offer.

ooh, did you have it read and write depth first so you always had the parent of the node you were reading or writing one up the stack?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jit bull transpile posted:

ooh, did you have it read and write depth first so you always had the parent of the node you were reading or writing one up the stack?

ugh gently caress, my first thought was to do it breadth first like an array representation of a binary tree but this is obviously the answer

how the gently caress am i employed?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it never comes up at most people’s jobs

they just wanted an in order tree traversal?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

ugh gently caress, my first thought was to do it breadth first like an array representation of a binary tree but this is obviously the answer

how the gently caress am i employed?

I mean, your answer is right if you can assume array backing and serde directly from and to that storage. but if you're assuming a generic api where all you have is get and set for left and right I can't think of a better way than dfs

but also like nobody's job depends on poo poo like this, don't feel bad. dumb code golf like this is like being good at bar trivia. it's not indicative of anything but my old job being boring and giving me too much time to implement algos for fun.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

And what kind of silly poo poo does the company actually do?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

qhat posted:

you should've asked if this was a good starting place

code:
@Value
public class BinaryTree<T> {
  private final T value;
  private final BinaryTree<T> left;
  private final BinaryTree<T> right;
}
then wrote

code:
@Value
public class BinaryTree<T extends Serializable> implements Serializable {
  private static final long serialVersionUID = 1234567890L;

private final T value;
}

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FamDav posted:

you should've asked if this was a good starting place

code:
@Value
public class BinaryTree<T> {
  private final T value;
}
then wrote

code:
@Value
public class BinaryTree<T extends Serializable> implements Serializable {
  private static final long serialVersionUID = 1234567890L;

private final T value;
}

in Java you're fine but I think in .net you need to implement the actual serialize function when you contain fields that aren't standard types. probably a good way to get rejected by someone who's team literal about the specific platform they use.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
alternatively ask if this is a good definition of a binary tree

code:
// b_tree.proto
message Tree {
  Any value = 1;
  Tree left = 2;
  Tree right = 3;
}
then write

code:
public class BinaryTree<T extends Message> {
  private final BTree.Tree tree;
  private final Class<? extends T> clazz;

public BinaryTree(final T value, final BinaryTree left, final BinaryTree right) {
    this(value.getClass(), BTree.Tree.newBuilder()
        .setValue(Any.pack(value))
        .setLeft(left.left)
        .setRight(right.right)
        .build());
  }

private BinaryTree(final Class<T> clazz, final BTree.Tree tree) {
    this.clazz = clazz;
    this.tree = tree;
  }

public T getValue() {
    return tree.getValue().unpack(clazz);
  }

public BinaryTree<T> getLeft() {
    return new BinaryTree<>(clazz, tree.left);
  }

public BinaryTree<T> getRight() {
    return new BinaryTree<>(clazz, tree.right);
  }

public static <T> BinaryTree<T> unpack(final Class<T> clazz, final byte[] input) throws Exception {
    return new BinaryTree<>(clazz, BTree.Tree.parseFrom(input));
  }

public byte[] pack() {
    return tree.toByteArray();
  }
}

FamDav fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 5, 2018

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

in Java you're fine but I think in .net you need to implement the actual serialize function when you contain fields that aren't standard types. probably a good way to get rejected by someone who's team literal about the specific platform they use.

considering thats not valid c# and this is the standard for defining a class serializable by any conforming jvm i dont really get your comment

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FamDav posted:

alternatively ask if this is a good definition of a binary tree

code:
// b_tree.proto
message Tree {
  Any value = 1;
  BinaryTree left = 2;
  BinaryTree right = 3;
}
then write

code:
public class BinaryTree<T extends Message> {
  private final BTree.Tree tree;
  private final Class<? extends T> clazz;

public BinaryTree(final T value, final BinaryTree left, final BinaryTree right) {
    this(value.getClass(), BTree.Tree.newBuilder()
        .setValue(Any.pack(value))
        .setLeft(left.left)
        .setRight(right.right)
        .build());
  }

private BinaryTree(final Class<? extends T> clazz, final BinaryTree tree) {
    this.clazz = clazz;
    this.tree = tree;
  }

public T getValue() {
    return tree.getValue().unpack(clazz);
  }

public BinaryTree<T> getLeft() {
    return new BinaryTree<>(clazz, tree.left);
  }

public BinaryTree<T> getRight() {
    return new BinaryTree<>(clazz, tree.right);
  }

public static <T> BinaryTree<T> unpack(final Class<T> clazz, final byte[] input) throws Exception {
    return new BinaryTree<>(clazz, BTree.Tree.parseFrom(input));
  }

public byte[] pack() throws Exception {
    return tree.toByteArray();
  }
}

OK now do it so your serialized format is just the value plus sigils for having parent or children. you know, for space efficiency. because that matters for some reason.

I assume that's the sort of dumb way the question was posed because doing it with standard library stuff is too easy for dumb whiteboard interviews and I assume he would have nailed it if the question was asked sanely enough to allow this answer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FamDav posted:

considering thats not valid c# and this is the standard for defining a class serializable by any conforming jvm i dont really get your comment

it's late and I'm trying to imagine what sort of pedantic crap came up in the interview. I haven't touched c# in a while.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

OK now do it so your serialized format is just the value plus sigils for having parent or children. you know, for space efficiency. because that matters for some reason.

I assume that's the sort of dumb way the question was posed because doing it with standard library stuff is too easy for dumb whiteboard interviews and I assume he would have nailed it if the question was asked sanely enough to allow this answer.

:thejoke:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

this is the thread for picking apart interview bs. take your nerd poo poo somewhere else *flexes jock muscles at u*

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My eventual solution was to have a non member serialize function that prints -1 if null is passed in, else print the value of the node and pass the left and right subtrees into the serialize function recursively. Deserializing is pretty trivial.

qhat fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 5, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

this is the thread for picking apart interview bs. take your nerd poo poo somewhere else *flexes jock muscles at u*
Really? I fought in the άβ/ λ λ λ wars of 1984. Didn't see you there, when our jockstraps were burning with liquid heat.

I served with Frederick "The Ogre You rear end in a top hat" Palowaksi. I knew Ogre. Ogre was a friend of mine. Jit, you are no Ogre.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

:rolleyes:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peeny Cheez posted:

Really? I fought in the άβ/ λ λ λ wars of 1984. Didn't see you there, when our jockstraps were burning with liquid heat.

I served with Frederick "The Ogre You rear end in a top hat" Palowaksi. I knew Ogre. Ogre was a friend of mine. Jit, you are no Ogre.

lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
guys I'm whacked up on ambiem so u should probably disregard everything but my original post lol

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

qhat posted:

It's nice when interviewers know that their tests suck

Lol this is apparently where I work.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

guys I'm whacked up on ambiem so u should probably disregard everything but my original post lol

“the musk defense”

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

new thread idea: "We Are The Walrus: ambienposting ONLY! (~~DON'T DOX YOURSELF YOSPOS GHOST~~~)"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

prisoner of waffles posted:

new thread idea: "We Are The Walrus: ambienposting ONLY! (~~DON'T DOX YOURSELF YOSPOS GHOST~~~)"

just me n low tax to the end of time

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

TimWinter posted:

Lol this is apparently where I work.

Ha, no this is a different place. I have a chance to fail that one tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
hey guys, know any law professor part-time doctors who would rather be a computer toucher?