Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah lol apparently it's actually tracked and attached to your employee ID now and guests / contractors / anyone who's not actually an employee isn't allowed to eat there.

they did give him a free hat though, so there's... that... :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

i don't quite buy the "no technical limit" bit, thermal cycling and vibration are a bitch. i mean i don't doubt that reusing the first stage is a good idea, or that they're saving money on the whole thing, i'm just real suspicious because i don't trust musk or spacex to tell the whole story on, well, anything really. hell even their launch footage is really strictly controlled and edited down, more so than even commercial atlas / delta launches. there's quite a bit the public doesn't get to see, it's weird
I mean no limit found as of yet, every engine has come back well enough so far, obviously everything had a limit though. It's all govt contracts so it's not like they need to start cutting corners esp because any failures will drop the price of future reuses, there's no cost incentive to push the limits

I love the idea of a space bouncy castle but that company... even the sanitized carefully edited wikipedia page makes bigelow sound like a rich wastrel throwing money at a pipe dream. I still can't believe what started out as a patent holding company actually made a thing that's attached to the iss, even provisionally

It'd be pretty funny if the vaunted manned mars mission had to use ULA because they needed the extra fairing size over the falcon

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 5, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

guess what field she’s in

i'm guessing it's pretty small

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he was straightup attacking a research scientist lady a few weeks ago because she had “nano” in her twitter bio

guess what field she’s in

Corn? Wheat maybe?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/rusteenh/status/1000143217235451904

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bhodi posted:

the SSME refirb cost was essentially the same as building a new engine from scratch. It was the most finally tuned piece of equipment humanity has ever created and is likely the most efficient rocket motor that will ever exist, but reusable it was not

towards the end of the program they were finally getting to the point where they could probably have started running the engines a few launches in a row before having to do a teardown and rebuild.

that said even if they built a perfectly reusable SSME, the manpower costs of tile inspection and refurbing the hydrazine thrusters and rebuilding every other must-work component would still be eating them alive. the payroll alone for orbiter inspection and maintenance was over a billion dollars a year.

although even then the unit cost* of a space shuttle mission wasn't really significantly bigger than Titan IV or Delta IV Heavy, and the payload capacity was roughly equivalent, except with Shuttle you also got a crew of astronauts and a canadarm up at the same time.

*as compared to total program cost, which includes initial development, as well as the stand-down periods after Challenger and Columbia were lost

Bhodi posted:

ULA is turbo hosed and is the poster child for government contractor excess as well as a company dinosaur unable to change when the world shifts underneath them, all they can do is hold tighter to what they still have and try to sabotage what they don't because their executives have lived their entire lives in a no-bid bubble that started in the 60's, they literally do not know how to innovate or compete, they only started designing a reusable rocket in response to spacex and... let's just say it's not going well

they're the rim of rocketry

at least ULA has a great track record on successfully getting satellites into orbit. the russian program is a shambles; they loving nose-dived a Proton into the ground a few years ago (great way to blast a shitload of hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide all over the place!) and their upper stages keep loving up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol get hosed lonny

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the russian program is a shambles; they loving nose-dived a Proton into the ground a few years ago (great way to blast a shitload of hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide all over the place!) and their upper stages keep loving up.

was that the one where a tech hammered the gyroscope in upside down?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Please stop using "nano" when when referring to Musky. I'm sure it's just a coincidence he's spending his time making giants steel cylinders, but what I'm saying is he has a nanopeen and is very sensitive about it. That's why re wants to be able to recharge his "rockets."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sorry mang, internet canon from grimes via ms. banks is the musky fellow has a huge hog.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Oh, hey, I've heard of him: he's "into" death-sticks?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jabor posted:

they have some actually talented engineers and have mostly limited musk to just being the money-man instead of having active involvement, so overall they're probably alright

apparently the working conditions are kind of lovely though

elon musk, being a web developer, thinks that the only things that he is not qualified for are brain surgery and rocket science. therefore he has not interfiered as much on the operation of spacex

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Oh, hey, I've heard of him: he's "into" death-sticks?

wonder what lonny thinks of the prequels

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bhodi posted:

ULA is turbo hosed and is the poster child for government contractor excess as well as a company dinosaur unable to change when the world shifts underneath them, all they can do is hold tighter to what they still have and try to sabotage what they don't because their executives have lived their entire lives in a no-bid bubble that started in the 60's, they literally do not know how to innovate or compete, they only started designing a reusable rocket in response to spacex and... let's just say it's not going well

they're the rim of rocketry

I'd say ULA is not in a good position, but their big thing is their track record in an industry where a great track record is the biggest thing. This isn't the cell phone industry where some Jobs fan off the street doesn't care that his phone doesn't work all the time. They're not turbo hosed yet, but they need to make changes to avoid fall behind too far.

Though the Falcon Heavy effectively getting shelved after one launch helps ULA here.

e: the rocketry industry reminds me of the locomotive industry, in a weird way: customers are going to put a premium on reliability because a failure is worse than a slow train (or smaller load). When EMD released the SD50, it was massively unreliable, which killed the company's reputation as a whole almost instantly, even if it was one generation removed from the SD40-2, one of the best locomotives of all time. ULA is more expensive, but they aren't doing anything bold that could ruin the rockets, for now.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 5, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

they have a few unique technologies that put them ahead but they all trace their roots back to NASA projects and technology transfers, and a huge chunk of their money (something like 60% iirc) is literally just money NASA gives them. internally it's got a turbo-lovely toxic corporate culture according to people who used to work there. from what my dad's seen they do everything "correctly" (though they have their own dumb way of doing everything of course) and it sounds like it's a less dysfunctional tesla factory. however recently they stopped letting him eat at the employee restaurant for free so his opinion of the place has soured :v:

its amazing how all with all that toxic poo poo they're still way better than modern nasa

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
NASA is constrained by the fact that they have to do what Congress tells them to do, including kludging together a big rocket out of as many old Shuttle contractors as possible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

the SSME refirb cost was essentially the same as building a new engine from scratch. It was the most finally tuned piece of equipment humanity has ever created and is likely the most efficient rocket motor that will ever exist, but reusable it was not

lmao @ the idea that reusing the SSME was due to anything other than grift. its a nobid contract to "save are jerbs" at poorly run contractor outfits. the shuttle was a fantastically lovely design and everyone who had anything to do with its approval or continued support should be shot into the sun.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NASA is constrained by the fact that they have to do what Congress tells them to do, including kludging together a big rocket out of as many old Shuttle contractors as possible

yeah its almost like government is not the best way to handle this.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the shuttle was a fantastically lovely design and everyone who had anything to do with its approval or continued support should be shot into the sun.

ok everybody load in, it's time for the final directive

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

lmao @ the idea that reusing the SSME was due to anything other than grift. its a nobid contract to "save are jerbs" at poorly run contractor outfits.

so, the entire american aerospace industry, then? :v:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

yeah its almost like government is not the best way to handle this.

you'll note that the common thread in both cases is private enterprise

imagine, if you will, a government space program not beholden to the unholy grift machine that is the public-private partnership

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. the government its really bad at a lot of stuff and the stuff they're the worst at also turns out the be the most expensive. weird coincidence.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

you'll note that the common thread in both cases is private enterprise

imagine, if you will, a government space program not beholden to the unholy grift machine that is the public-private partnership

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I lust for the days where NASA was given a giant blank check.

It gave us the F-1 engine and all that it entailed.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then the fight would be over which state gets the slow and bloated government run aerospace company.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hawaii, because it's closest to the equator.

Oh, right, that doesn't work because logistics would be hot rear end. Why not Florida!

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

then the fight would be over which state gets the slow and bloated government run aerospace company.

now remove the notion of a profit motive

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
now its even more wasteful than ever since theres no reason to actually do anything.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"we don't need to actually build this rocket since we still get paid" - nasa, basically

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

now its even more wasteful than ever since theres no reason to actually do anything.

:thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"We're getting all this money, why upgrade the LEP to the LHC?" -CERN

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a ton of private entities got paid to build the LHC and its components

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Shaggar posted:

"we don't need to actually build this rocket since we still get paid" - nasa, basically

wrong! wrong wrong wrong!!:mad:!!!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

a ton of private entities got paid to build the LHC and its components

You mean like how NASA spreads out it poo poo in the US too?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:emo:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

don’t let yourself get shaggared, friend. he’s very adept.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

nope. without a profit motive theres no way you're going to get people to do work. the myth of the virtuous worker who works for the people is the most hilarious garbage ever.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

President Beep posted:

don’t let yourself get shaggared, friend. he’s very adept.

is that anything like getting haggard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

nope. without a profit motive theres no way you're going to get people to do work. the myth of the virtuous worker who works for the people is the most hilarious garbage ever.

lol please tell me how salaried employees are in any way influenced by the profit motive happening many, many layers above them. just go whole hog man.