Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

iospace posted:

You mean like how NASA spreads out it poo poo in the US too?

yeah. both create massive opportunity for profit in their private contracting. idk what ur trying to say here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

nope. without a profit motive theres no way you're going to get people to do work. the myth of the virtuous worker who works for the people is the most hilarious garbage ever.

building rockets and exploring space isn't work. i do it in kerbal space program for fun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol please tell me how salaried employees are in any way influenced by the profit motive happening many, many layers above them. just go whole hog man.

if im a salaried government worker with no mandate to actually produce anything theres no way im gonna do any actual work. are you loving insane?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shaggar posted:

should be shot into the sun

thanks to ksp i involuntarily twitch whenever someone says this

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

if im a salaried government worker with no mandate to actually produce anything theres no way im gonna do any actual work. are you loving insane?

sounds like youre experiencing workplace alienation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

government employees are generally crazy people that believe in what they do so the take a big pay cut to do it

as opposed to say, normal computer janitors for medical insurance companies who need to be threatened constantly to do work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao you've never met a government worker in your life.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

you do know the dude in falling down worked for a contractor and not a government agency right

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

lmbo never grew out of your edgy teen phase after reading some rand, huh?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

I’m a government worker and i think it feels good to help people.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lmbo never grew out of your edgy teen phase after reading some rand, huh?

it really does sound like an insanely cynical outlook.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

shaggar man your world outlook is extremely sad and its probably making your life actively worse to be that negative about everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I only really deal with CMS so maybe my experiences are skewed by how bad they are

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

it really does sound like an insanely cynical outlook.

he works in maine for a medical company, of course hes cynical

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

shaggar man your world outlook is extremely sad and its probably making your life actively worse to be that negative about everything

your blind faith in terrible organizations you've clearly never dealt with is embarrassing and prevents any kind of actual resolution to these problems.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

he works in maine for a medical company, of course hes cynical

amazing to think that someone could work in the american medical industry and still believe in the slick efficiency of the private sector

otoh people do tend to buy into whatever bullshit they need to justify their existence

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

I only really deal with CMS so maybe my experiences are skewed by how bad they are

Hmmm yes, an agency that has been gutted by decades of GOP wanting to shut it down, so they're starving the beast.

(Assuming you're talking about the Medicare/Medicaid office here)

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
i've met government and corporate workers who are working with a subject they are passionate about and would do for free (especially in scientific research fields). also i've met government and corporate workers who don't care about the subject of their job and are just running the clock and trying to do the least necessary to not get fired. maybe its not a government vs industry issue but a result of alienation of labor under a capitalist system?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

creationist believer posted:

i've met government and corporate workers who are working with a subject they are passionate about and would do for free (especially in scientific research fields). also i've met government and corporate workers who don't care about the subject of their job and are just running the clock and trying to do the least necessary to not get fired. maybe its not a government vs industry issue but a result of alienation of labor under a capitalist system?

It's this.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

mother of god..

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

um no im pretty sure its are taxes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

you mena the truht ix somewhere in the middle???

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

President Beep posted:

um no im pretty sure its are taxes.

my taxes pay youre salary, mr president

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

iospace posted:

Hmmm yes, an agency that has been gutted by decades of GOP wanting to shut it down, so they're starving the beast.

(Assuming you're talking about the Medicare/Medicaid office here)

incorrect. CMS funding is at all time highs. They're a poorly managed organization and the only thing they're really effective at is ensuring providers are overpaid.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

incorrect. CMS funding is at all time highs.

might that also have something to do with more service consumers as boomers get older though?

e: that’s not a rhetorical question btw.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

incorrect. CMS funding is at all time highs. They're a poorly managed organization and the only thing they're really effective at is ensuring providers are overpaid.

whats cool is you can reduce the increase of a thing below inflation and claim that funding is at an all time high while still reducing its effective funding

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Shaggar posted:

psosibly because they ahve no ability to leverage their massive buying power and clientele to negotiate in bulk with providers and are required to pay more or less whatever the ******market rate****** is

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

iospace posted:

"We're getting all this money, why upgrade the LEP to the LHC?" -CERN

true story the LHC was basically europe trolling congress. They figured they could build an accelerator quicker and cheaper because they already had the tunnel. It would be smaller, less powerful but that produced way more data than the planned American one, the SSC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

The SSC was killed by congress with the argument 'you've a choice, the ISS or the SSC'. Congress chose the ISS. The LHC was still built, and found the Higgs.

The reason CERN and NASA can't be compared in terms of large scale infrastructure is because the agreement to fund a big fuckoff project at CERN can't be reneged on. They negotiate the entire cost beforehand and sign treaties with member states guaranteeing the funding for the lifetime of the project. NASA and US projects in general are stuck with the possibility of losing funding every time congress meets.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

i wonder what would happen to prices if the medicare administration was allowed to say "hey u. mr pharmaphuck. i have these tens of millions of potential customers. if you want a piece of this pie your thousand percent profit margin is gonna have to come down to a marginal extent. otherwise i'll take my business elsewhere and you can watch your sales shrivel"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Im sure people who have fun jobs might continue to do them for free if their other needs were taken care of, but that's the tiny minority of jobs. even then they're only gonna do it so long as it keeps their interest. nobody at CMS is getting all excited about claims adjudication. They do the job because they're paid to do it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

nope. without a profit motive theres no way you're going to get people to do work. the myth of the virtuous worker who works for the people is the most hilarious garbage ever.

profit is a bit different than a living wage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

might that also have something to do with more service consumers as boomers get older though?

e: that’s not a rhetorical question btw.

partially. more so it has to do with things like Medicaid expansion and the overall increase in healthcare costs.

hobbesmaster posted:

whats cool is you can reduce the increase of a thing below inflation and claim that funding is at an all time high while still reducing its effective funding

sure, but in the case of CMS their increases in funding are far beyond inflation.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

psosibly because they ahve no ability to leverage their massive buying power and clientele to negotiate in bulk with providers and are required to pay more or less whatever the ******market rate****** is

not true (for the most part). CMS pays providers significantly less than private insurers. That said they could (and should) be paying even less for a lot of procedures. you may be thinking of medications, for which CMS is not allowed to negotiate pricing.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this Tylenol costs $240 when we hand it to you but surely the costs of medication are not a problem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
CMS needs the ability to do long term planning for large structural change in the healthcare system, but they don't seem to have the internal drive to do so. idk how much of that is just incompetence and how much is shifting congressional mandates.

like yes in comes trump and they start looking at making changes to things like ACOs, but for years prior to that CMS had failed to really manage the program properly. Is CMS to blame for the poor management in the pretrump years or is trump to blame for not giving them more time to fix their issues? How long should they be allowed to fail before someone steps in?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this Tylenol costs $240 when we hand it to you but surely the costs of medication are not a problem

seriously. where is that poo poo introduced?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i wonder what would happen to prices if the medicare administration was allowed to say "hey u. mr pharmaphuck. i have these tens of millions of potential customers. if you want a piece of this pie your thousand percent profit margin is gonna have to come down to a marginal extent. otherwise i'll take my business elsewhere and you can watch your sales shrivel"

that's the big idea. they could also say "hey colton how's YOUR rapey nantucket family? Mine's doing good thanks. let's gently caress everyone over and pocket the remainder for our generational lacoste fund? sounds like a brilliant plan chap!" which is why you need to pull out the head chopper first

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it cost them $24 to administer it to ten people and the other nine are broke

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Tylenol is otc so it wouldn't be part of medicare part d. if you're talking about the cost of administering drugs in an emergency setting then yes that's one of those procedural costs that medicare needs to start pushing back on.

a good place to start w/ costs in general would be to not allow providers to bill patients at all and only accept what insurance or cms will give them. That would get them off fee for service pretty quick

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

for prescription drugs it would be pretty huge but the current medicare part d prevents it from happening. a fun fact is part d was written largely by pharmacy companies which should not be a surprise to anyone, but what is kind of fun is one of the major pharmacy backers ended up not being able to compete with other pharmacies for the contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Death to capitalism