Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

People can (and in some cases rightly) bash Tesla but this is the thing that really does my brain in - Tesla knew from the absolute get go that unless you could drive a EV from coast to coast like a normal ICE, EV's were dead in the water... and thence actually went and put some thought and effort into that issue. It's seems like the other car makers are half arsing what is in reality the most important issue with EV's and Tesla will continue for the next few years to STILL be the only EV maker that gets it.

Wether car makers like it or not, EV's are thing that are here to stay so wouldnt you kinda want to make sure range anxiety isn't a thing, even if it is to steal sales from the EV upstart?

Sure there is a market for the Tesla sort of EV but I think there is also a market for smaller, cheaper, short range cars too.

A bunch of small, cheap hatchbacks and crossovers still get sold and I don't see many people driving them coast to coast even if it is completely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three Olives posted:

Because consumers are idiots, the average person that can afford a new electric car does not have a massive commute or really drive that much at all much less cross country. Range anxiety is not a technical problem, it’s an education problem not solved by sticking fast chargers out in the middle of nowhere.

Reaaaaaaally? Then please tell me why Tesla put chargers in the middle of nowhere?

Oh thats right, because Tesla as I said worked out that EV's were going nowhere unless range anxiety could be answered without handwaving about "education".

"Can I drive my Tesla across bumfuck empty without worry?"
"Why yes you can, here is our network of high speed chargers!"
"Well okay then, I'll buy one even tho I'll never leave San-Fran!"

See how it works in the real world? Handwave all you want about education but in reality the answer is infrastructure.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

dissss posted:

Sure there is a market for the Tesla sort of EV but I think there is also a market for smaller, cheaper, short range cars too.

A bunch of small, cheap hatchbacks and crossovers still get sold and I don't see many people driving them coast to coast even if it is completely possible.

I'd keep an eye on this: https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/25/honda-to-revive-the-fit-electric-with-186-miles-of-range-sub-20000-price-tag/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It should be pointed out that Tesla will cut you off from their superchargers after you use them too many times.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It should be pointed out that Tesla will cut you off from their superchargers after you use them too many times.

"for your own protection"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

80 mile range would be plenty. Oh wait a minute that's 40 miles in the cold. 30 miles, years later. 20 miles, years later. Etc. I'm totally getting a Bolt though it comes in chartreuse. How can I say no to that?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Reaaaaaaally? Then please tell me why Tesla put chargers in the middle of nowhere?

Oh thats right, because Tesla as I said worked out that EV's were going nowhere unless range anxiety could be answered without handwaving about "education".

"Can I drive my Tesla across bumfuck empty without worry?"
"Why yes you can, here is our network of high speed chargers!"
"Well okay then, I'll buy one even tho I'll never leave San-Fran!"

See how it works in the real world? Handwave all you want about education but in reality the answer is infrastructure.

And yet they put none of them in urban areas where you might actually need a rapid charger. You are giving Tesla an awful lot of credit for their supposed forward looking thinking and business smarts when while their cars may be "cool" they are burning through cash like a tire fire.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you talking about people that were using them as their only method of charging?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Duck and Cover posted:

80 mile range would be plenty. Oh wait a minute that's 40 in the cold. 30 years later. 20 years later. Etc. I'm totally getting a Bolt though it comes in chartreuse. How can I say no to that?

I don't think many current model cars are going to last 20 years regardless of what they run on - once integrated systems like infotainment and SRS start going wrong they're simply not going to be possible to keep on the road for reasonable amounts of money.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Name an example please. They have some terms and conditions about abuse, taxis etc, but no hard limit. Vlogger Bjørn Nyland has done something like 350 000 km across two cars, most of it on superchargers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Three Olives posted:

And yet they put none of them in urban areas where you might actually need a rapid charger. You are giving Tesla an awful lot of credit for their supposed forward looking thinking and business smarts when while their cars may be "cool" they are burning through cash like a tire fire.

Yo Tesla deserves all kinds of poo poo but their charging strategy is one thing they are peerless in. They absolutely do put superchargers in urban areas, they're just prioritizing areas that have a lot of tesla owners. The closest charger to seattle is labeled an "urban supercharger", and the planned/underconstruction chargers nearby are in malls (Bellevue, north gate, u district) and a neighborhood shopping center (Issaquah). They're starting to put them where owners live now that they have them pretty well built out where owners go.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dissss posted:

I don't think many current model cars are going to last 20 years regardless of what they run on - once integrated systems like infotainment and SRS start going wrong they're simply not going to be possible to keep on the road for reasonable amounts of money.

Well then I'll buy a new car. Problem solved! I think most people create a hypothetical situation where an electric won't work without realizing how unlikely that situation is to occur.

I should have used commas, it's not 30 years it's 30 miles in a couple years in the cold.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 5, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I can name and verify half a dozen logical urban chargers in Sydney off the top of my head and I dont have a EV let alone the aburdity of false equivalence comparing their supercharging network to anything else they do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ola posted:

Name an example please. They have some terms and conditions about abuse, taxis etc, but no hard limit. Vlogger Bjørn Nyland has done something like 350 000 km across two cars, most of it on superchargers.

The YOSPOS Tesla mockthread has a former Tesla employee tell-all, pretty horrifying.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The YOSPOS Tesla mockthread has a former Tesla employee tell-all, pretty horrifying.

Yet still no example of an owner being cutoff from charging without abusing the system to the detriment of other owners.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Speleothing posted:

Half a page of people forgetting that the Bolt exists.
The what?

dissss posted:

My GF has done multiple Cali<->Iowa and Cali<->Colorado and TX<->Chicago type trips in a loving Honda Fit. People DO do it.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 6, 2018

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
So here's a relatively light-hearted thing a Formula E reporter wrote about how easy Tesla could be hosed in Europe if someone bothered to have the right investment and strategy: https://medium.com/@piratemoggy/elon-musk-is-imploding-i-put-myself-forwards-in-his-place-96fa48b374df

Although with Mercedes announcing their new big space tank it's maybe more prescient than I initially thought.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The road trip anecdotes always get me because we all know both by data and by personal experience that the average $40k+ luxury sedan/crossover isn't driven very far often if at all. We have set this range expectation because buying gas is gross and as such we generally want to avoid it, there is no reason we should expect it to set a benchmark for the range of a car that is charged to full every night.

Is some suburban home developer in the 50s devised a system to automatically, safely and cleanly trickle 100 miles of gas into a car overnight for less money than filling up at a pump people would think you were crazy for spending a lot more money to keep a weeks worth of gas in your car because you hypothetically might want to take a road trip.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can name and verify half a dozen logical urban chargers in Sydney off the top of my head and I dont have a EV let alone the aburdity of false equivalence comparing their supercharging network to anything else they do.

That seems weird because Tesla says there is exactly one supercharger in the entirety of Sydney.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got an ad for drive-up delivery of gasoline to your cars, amazingly enough. Now that's Full Service.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Three Olives posted:

That seems weird because Tesla says there is exactly one supercharger in the entirety of Sydney.

3 in the Denver metro area (one at the service center so it doesn't show up on the website map, but is available), one in Boulder, and one in Colorado Springs. All very urban areas. 4 more planned for the Denver metro area.

When I road tripped to Wisconsin there were two in Madison, and one in Oak Creek, also urban areas, not to mention that about half the chargers along the way were also in urban areas, not just truck stops.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

[quote="Three Olives" post=""487682546"]
[/quote]

Two in service centres not listed, one in Penrith not listed (Sydney is BIG loving place), One at Eastern Creek raceway (LOL that surprised me last weekend). Non superchargers but Tesla Destination charging stations located in about 120 and growing other locations, usually Westfield shopping centers (oh wait, that's a useful).

Supercharger stations along the main freeways between Sydney to Melbourne every 200 kms, also Syd to Brisbane / Melbourne to Adelaide, Cooma and even goddamn DUBBO (thinking about bumfuck nowhere...)

Get the point yet, or you going to continue to insist Tesla haven't got this worked out?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three Olives posted:

And yet they put none of them in urban areas where you might actually need a rapid charger.

There are 3 in Toronto proper alone. They’ve been adding urban ones for more than a year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Two in service centres not listed, one in Penrith not listed (Sydney is BIG loving place), One at Eastern Creek raceway (LOL that surprised me last weekend). Non superchargers but Tesla Destination charging stations located in about 120 and growing other locations, usually Westfield shopping centers (oh wait, that's a useful).

Supercharger stations along the main freeways between Sydney to Melbourne every 200 kms, also Syd to Brisbane / Melbourne to Adelaide, Cooma and even goddamn DUBBO (thinking about bumfuck nowhere...)

Get the point yet, or you going to continue to insist Tesla haven't got this worked out?

Yes, I am aware that Tesla is finally building urban super chargers after starting to charge for their use after years of hemorrhaging cash and continuing to do so at a staggering rate while the European automakers are about to throw a fuckton of money in urban fast chargers.

My issue is people treating Tesla's little used interstate supercharger network as some sort of genius business move when there is little to no evidence that it provided any real dividends to their business which is teetering towards insolvency.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Hell there are 2x 8-bay, and 1x 12 bay SuperChargers within 55 miles of my house. And they are all on major interstate/cross city routes. How many public non-Tesla DC fast chargers (50kW or higher) are there in this same area? 3... but each only has a single CSS and Chademo connector each, and they are most definitely in urban areas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three Olives posted:

Yes, I am aware that Tesla is finally building urban super chargers

Three Olives posted:

And yet they put none of them in urban areas

Please post better.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Sweet 30+ new posts in the EV thread!

Oh, wait, it's 3olives doing the stupid "poo poo all over Tesla thing". Again.

Goons, if you did not yet figure it out 3olives is a lovely troll and disingenuous about everything, don't waist your time.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

spandexcajun posted:

Sweet 30+ new posts in the EV thread!

Oh, wait, it's 3olives doing the stupid "poo poo all over Tesla thing". Again.

Goons, if you did not yet figure it out 3olives is a lovely troll and disingenuous about everything, don't waist your time.

Uh, this is one of the places he has a pretty balanced take on things.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Total bullshit, got it.

A thing that got some negative reactions is that the 90-pack gets throttled to 95 kW or thereabouts after a certain amount of supercharging. The 85 doesn't, not sure about the 100.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Three Olives posted:

Because consumers are idiots, the average person that can afford a new electric car does not have a massive commute or really drive that much at all much less cross country. Range anxiety is not a technical problem, it’s an education problem not solved by sticking fast chargers out in the middle of nowhere.

Range anxiety is only one part of the problems EVs have to overcome. Infrastructure and cost are bigger problems. Especially in cities (where and EV makes the most sense but is the hardest to make work as a daily). It might be different in the US, but if I'd buy an EV in my country I'd be left with a car that has the interior quality/sound proofing that equivalent to a economy car. Except I'm paying 4x the money for the pleasure of driving an EV. I won't ever see any savings on fuel that will offset the huge cost compared to what a car of equal comfort/quality would get me.

I tried and loved the Renault Zoe, but unless you go for the absolute top trim with "leather" seats, it's lovely plastic and lovely fabric all over. I've never sat in a car that felt as cheap. For the same price I can get a top spec Mazda 6 and use the left over money to fuel it for years. Cars that aren't even comparable in anything except price.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Range anxiety is only one part of the problems EVs have to overcome. Infrastructure and cost are bigger problems. Especially in cities (where and EV makes the most sense but is the hardest to make work as a daily). It might be different in the US, but if I'd buy an EV in my country I'd be left with a car that has the interior quality/sound proofing that equivalent to a economy car. Except I'm paying 4x the money for the pleasure of driving an EV. I won't ever see any savings on fuel that will offset the huge cost compared to what a car of equal comfort/quality would get me.

I tried and loved the Renault Zoe, but unless you go for the absolute top trim with "leather" seats, it's lovely plastic and lovely fabric all over. I've never sat in a car that felt as cheap. For the same price I can get a top spec Mazda 6 and use the left over money to fuel it for years. Cars that aren't even comparable in anything except price.

Think of your situation as a point on a descending curve of cost. A few years ago, the economics was much worse for your case. In a few years, it will be much better.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

Think of your situation as a point on a descending curve of cost. A few years ago, the economics was much worse for your case. In a few years, it will be much better.

Which is exactly why I'm holding off on buying an EV until they become reasonably priced compared to an ICE car. Won't be buying any new ICE car neither. I'd rather save that money for when a nice EV shows up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Which is exactly why I'm holding off on buying an EV until they become reasonably priced compared to an ICE car. Won't be buying any new ICE car neither. I'd rather save that money for when a nice EV shows up.

You're basically waiting for the used market to pick up. I think EV depreciation will be quite hard once supply is high and gradually better and better models are introduced. But right now, in Norway at least, they're holding up very well since demand is so high. If you want the most economical solution, become your username. :v:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

You're basically waiting for the used market to pick up. I think EV depreciation will be quite hard once supply is high and gradually better and better models are introduced. But right now, in Norway at least, they're holding up very well since demand is so high. If you want the most economical solution, become your username. :v:

Maybe, but the cars aren't that good right now anyway. I don't mind buying something that's good and paying for it. What I don't like is overpaying for something that I won't be happy with.
I am my username, good for the health and takes less time than finding a parking spot and the having to pay for it. :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Three Olives posted:

My issue is people treating Tesla's little used interstate supercharger network as some sort of genius business move when there is little to no evidence that it provided any real dividends to their business which is teetering towards insolvency.

I don't know why I'm bothering with 3O but it was a good business decision because it provided a counter for consumers' irrational range anxiety

you are right that the vast majority of consumers do not actually need the supercharger network at all, and most only need it very occasionally, but the fact that it exists allows for a better case to be made for ev adoption. consumers' self-perceived needs aren't necessarily rational!

tesla very intelligently looked at the current market, looked at EV adoption, and made a big loving list of barriers to purchase. one of these barriers is that people are worried they will run out of electricity and be stuck somewhere. what's the better solution? tell people that "haha that's not real" or build out an infrastructure solution that gets rid of that barrier to purchase?

on the other hand they forgot to figure out a solution to one of the barriers to purchase which is "car is not delivered"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't know why I'm bothering with 3O but it was a good business decision because it provided a counter for consumers' irrational range anxiety

See the problem you start with is that Tesla is a good business, it is not, Tesla is nearly insolvent and being propped up in part by selling consumers things that do not exist and may never exist given Tesla’s finances.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Three Olives posted:

See the problem you start with is that Tesla is a good business, it is not, Tesla is nearly insolvent and being propped up in part by selling consumers things that do not exist and may never exist given Tesla’s finances.

Stop with the C-SPAM crap. Tesla are not nearly insolvent and if the guidance is even half accurate - and almost every legit report says Tesla WILL make 51,000 Model 3's so it looking highly likely, let alone the continued sales of X and S meaning Tesla is going to be producing close to 68,000 cars in Q3 - https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ - then the cash burn is going to be very much reduced in Q3 - capital costs are going to be noticably down, revenue will be up by anything close to 500 million. 2.8 Billion revenue in Model 3 alone if the average price of 56,000 USD is to be believed (and it appears ot be correct)

quote:

Figured that one out long ago. It's fun watching him dig down this time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

*Looks in his garage*

Nope. There’s still a Tesla there. It exists. I drove it to Atlanta and back. Try that in a BEV-only i3.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Three Olives posted:

being "a good business" (whatever that very nebulous term may mean to you) is not the same thing as making a good business decision

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

Counterpoint: Tesla is really good, Superchargers are really good and it's awesome how it seems to make people mad. Jealous much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A Tesla almost ran me over just now. Pack it in, Elonailures.