Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Hey guys, I found a terrible McMansion near me.

roofs on roofs on roofs on roofs

e: oh wow, just around the corner is another roof fiesta

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It was supersaturated, so it started forming crystals spontaneously.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Counterpoint:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bad Munki posted:

Counterpoint:

That's an odd placement for the roll holder. If it were in a normal place, you could pivot around it as you turned around to sit down.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

MH Knights posted:

I have a DeForest near me as well (WI). Also an Oregon (Or-reh-gone).

GreenNight posted:

Yeah there are a few WI goons itt.

Yeah, same area. Hey guys.

MH Knights posted:

Hopefully everyone is keeping as dry as possible and not having to deal with wet/moldy construction.

I have to replace a bunch of basement flooring but got away light. I live up in the hills and am about 100 feet in elevation higher than the creek that flooded (and like a mile away) out here so a lot of people got hit way worse than I did. A house down the road from me lost a huge chunk of its foundation and is getting torn down and not replaced because no flood insurance.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Counterpoint:

Needs a "NO FAT CHICKS" sticker.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

This is the roof equivalent of putting a funky hat on to try and make yourself seem interesting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

there wolf posted:

This is the roof equivalent of putting a funky hat on to try and make yourself seem interesting.

The more I look at it, the weirder it seems.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 6, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

there wolf posted:

Oh, man, it's hard to describe the vague feeling of discomfort in my abdomen that house elicits.

Wait, I just did.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It looks like its going to sidle off the right side while staring you in the eyes the entire time.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It was supersaturated, so it started forming crystals spontaneously.
More likely it started as a larger well-formed house but was partially redissolved/etched by later hydrothermal fluids:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fixed it

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The slight asymmetry of the peak is still painful. Perhaps even more so.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The slight asymmetry of the peak is still painful. Perhaps even more so.

Oh, that slight asymmetry is the problem? Guess I have some work to do before I'm a real internet architect. Lemme fix it.

How's this?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just make it flat then you have a cool roof deck for sweet parties

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tunicate posted:

Oh, that slight asymmetry is the problem? Guess I have some work to do before I'm a real internet architect. Lemme fix it.

How's this?

Unironically better than the original.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Just make it flat then you have a cool roof deck for sweet parties

Nobody stops the party house

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Groverception

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That does look like a campus adjacent rental house now

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
just bulldoze it and start again.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

You hosed me up again

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Atlanta/421-Morgan-Pl-SE-30317/home/23834225

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm disappointed they didn't extend the theme to the mailbox.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Especially not witches

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I would legit live in this house (and make a secret hidden door to get onto the sloped side-porch fragment).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Do y'all want the listings when I find this crap? They're usually not that interesting inside or I'd post that. Here's a pretty ugly renovation to make up for it. Half a million dollars and it's all yours.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

am I doing this right?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I know it's probably weird grading, but the whole thing appears to be settling to the left.

On the other hand, the left side of the front porch slab seems to be perpetually damp.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like it :blush: Staggered roofs are pretty common around here but they usually have a high vertical offset to make loft space.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hence why I turned around, stopped, and got out to shoot it. The houses across the street are...more modest

No wonder it's abandoned then. No one who buys a house like that wants to look at a bunch of peons across the street.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Selachian posted:

No wonder it's abandoned then. No one who buys a house like that wants to look at a bunch of peons across the street.

We encountered kinda the inverse of this during our house hunt - some cool old stone house from the 20s that ended up being surrounded by dumpy little 60s ranches. I say inverse because the big old house came first and got screwed later, while the McMansion developer screwed himself first by plopping the drat house down in the middle of some little ranches. That kind of house type mismatch screws you over for comps/property value and whatnot and is why you generally want a house that is average or below average in size/quality/condition for the neighborhood.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. The idiots that built the addition on my house used a novel way of attaching flex duct to the rigid plenum.... a single sheet metal screw and a couple wraps of duct tape.

This likely explains why the addition is so much hotter.. we're actually air conditioning the attic.

Now I get to cut more holes in the ceiling so I can actually get to the ductwork.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

If they added another storey on the left side and put windows on the new wall and I’d allow the weirdness over the front door.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Straight Outta C-SPAM

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

am I doing this right?

:golfclap:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I really like inventive uses for garage doors.

Hopefully you like beer, too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I can't wait to catch my toe on a pocket and break my neck.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

extravadanza posted:

Hey guys, I found a terrible McMansion near me.

roofs on roofs on roofs on roofs

e: oh wow, just around the corner is another roof fiesta

I'm the little old ranch house next door to each of these.

I wonder if other little old ranch houses were torn down to make room for the McMansions and their ginormous useless lawns.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Just south of them there's a whole drat colony.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not a rich man, can someone explain the little roundabout/ traffic island type deal these houses have on their driveways?

I'm assuming the house on the right was built first, so the house to the left of it needed one that was bigger.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm not a rich man, can someone explain the little roundabout/ traffic island type deal these houses have on their driveways?

Well you wouldn't want your guests having to BACK out of your driveway, would you? Everyone know reversing is for the lower classes.