Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nodosaur posted:

... so more stuff like what happened to Donna?

- Sometimes he genuinely has amnesia
- Sometimes he is pretending to have amnesia
- Sometimes he is mistaken for somebody who has amnesia
- Sometimes we mistake somebody with amnesia for him

Now don't get me wrong, the 8th Doctor audios absolutely rule and Paul McGann is great. But the amnesia is almost a running joke by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I admit, I'm unaware of how much classic stuff there is to actually watch...

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Now don't get me wrong, the 8th Doctor audios absolutely rule and Paul McGann is great. But the amnesia is almost a running joke by this point.

Where does this even come from? Because it's just so prevalent in all his audios that it feels almost like his #1 defining character trait.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nodosaur posted:

It hasn't gotten any bigger since 1989!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Almost?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I meant how much is still around and hasn't been lost and what is and isn't available for streaming

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nodosaur posted:

I meant how much is still around and hasn't been lost and what is and isn't available for streaming

Check the OP! I wrote it with you in mind.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Also, local libraries often have Classic Who DVDs!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The First Question of All Doctor Who fans when they learn about Big Finish:

Edward Mass posted:

How much are you willing to spend?
\/

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tim Burns Effect posted:

a ton of the older stories are on Spotify, although i think you still have to search "doctor who" instead of "big finish" for whatever reason

Yeah, this'd be the go. Give a few stories a go on Spotify first to see if you jive with the format and material before putting any money down.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So according to German iTunes, and assuming this international concurrent release which has been discussed, of episode 1, we're looking at a broadcast date of Sunday, October 7th...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zaroff posted:

Sunday, October 7th...

That is actually perfect for me, so I don't believe it in the slightest :tinfoil:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m gonna focus on watching the classic serials before the audio stuff. I’ll do it once I finish my rewatch of the revival series. Thanks guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Enjoy, there's some goofiness and cheap sets (especially in the 80s) but there is also a lot of tremendous stuff in there (particularly in the 60s) and the show hit a beautiful balance between creativity/popularity in the 70s to look forward to as well.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Jerusalem posted:

That is actually perfect for me, so I don't believe it in the slightest :tinfoil:

Don't tell anyone, but the BBC are now sending out cease and desists to anyone reporting this news, so they're doing a really good job of confirming it's true!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Confirmed

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1037309410408902656

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

But that's the night CW moved Supergirl to. If BBCA schedules it for 8pm, I'm going to be grouchy. :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God, we actually have THE AIRDATE :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s back! And it’s about time!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'll be sure to... drezzzzzzzz for the occasion. :smug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can’t wait for the all Master series of River Song audios.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's only a little over a month away!

There's going to be more Doctor Who in a month and two days.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The first episode is called “the Woman Who Fell to Earth”.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What if every episode title began with "The Woman Who"

The WoWho for short

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

What if every episode title began with "The Woman Who"

The WoWho for short

Doctor Who and the Woman Who

Wore Woolly Wellies

BWANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The first episode is called “the Woman Who Fell to Earth”.

That's clever as hell :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope some episode next season has a scene or a cold open or something where Thirteen happens to arrive at the Blackpool Mecca in the 1970s and pointedly turns to the camera and says, "Northern soul is rubbish."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Looking forward to the new thread title - What the gently caress, Chris Chibnall???

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hope some episode next season has a scene or a cold open or something where Thirteen happens to arrive at the Blackpool Mecca in the 1970s and pointedly turns to the camera and says, "Northern soul is rubbish."

:yeshaha:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
(Double post, but :shrug:)

https://twitter.com/Lawrence_Miles/status/1037845964596412421

Lawrence Miles good

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

We've reached a point where the fandom can be so toxic and OTT that Mad Larry is a voice of reason.

We're through the looking glass, people!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd legit watch a show that's entirely just someone turning up about a day after the Doctor and just going 'okay what the gently caress' and trying their best to help people get back to normal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cleretic posted:

I'd legit watch a show that's entirely just someone turning up about a day after the Doctor and just going 'okay what the gently caress' and trying their best to help people get back to normal.

That sounds like what Torchwood sort of was supposed to do.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

We've reached a point where the fandom can be so toxic and OTT that Mad Larry is a voice of reason.

I mean we also went from the show being "maybe there could possibly be some anti refugee subtext in this story about the invading ghosts" to the Zygon Invasion/Inversion so

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man what were they thinking with the big goofy angry eyes on the Sontaran helmets in the revival series?

I'm pretty sure they're too wide and far apart for the Sontarans to actually look out of them.

EDIT - okay they've always been like that

my point stands

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

What the hell is your problem with Lawrence Miles?

Actually, we know that - we went over that last time you brought him up. Let it go.

Nodosaur posted:

There are 26 incomplete serials out of the 155, with the most recent one being from early 1969. Of those 26, half a dozen of them have had animated reconstructions, and all of the rest have telesnaps and complete audios for recon purposes. "Incomplete" also varies between "entirely missing" to "inconsequential filler episodes missing" (looking at you, The Ice Warriors - which in my opinion is a much stronger story with a 10 minute recon summary rather than the full episodes)

All of Pertwee onwards exists, although a couple of Pertwee episodes only have black and white rather than colour available.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(looking at you, The Ice Warriors - which in my opinion is a much stronger story with a 10 minute recon summary rather than the full episodes)

Absolutely agree with this. The recon I saw with the missing episodes essentially filled in with a recap was a lot stronger than the full thing.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All of Pertwee onwards exists, although a couple of Pertwee episodes only have black and white rather than colour available.

I thought all of these had been re-released with full colour now? They did it for the Planet of the Daleks at least, and I thought they'd done it with The Ambassadors....* too.

* OF DEATH!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What the hell is your problem with Lawrence Miles?

Actually, we know that - we went over that last time you brought him up. Let it go

I mean, even as someone that very much appreciates the insight Miles often has into the show - and the humor he often shows on Twitter - he definitely got a bit grossly personal at times when talking about Moffat and Gaiman (and pretty far beyond that when he got into his unsubstantiated stuff about Gaiman and young fangirls). I certainly think his perspective has a lot to add in discussions around the show, and I'd love to see him write for the franchise again through an avenue like Big Finish, but I'd also find it hard to blame those that completely wrote him off with how he got later on into things.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Of those 26, half a dozen of them have had animated reconstructions, and all of the rest have telesnaps and complete audios for recon purposes.

Taking this chance to again pimp the audio versions of the missing episodes. They're a very engaging way to appreciate what we can no longer watch while also serving a secondary purpose of preparing one for listening to Doctor Who before they move on to Big Finish.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 7, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Instead call it Nurse When and I’m on board.

:stat:The Nurse is coming?
:wal:Yes.
:stat:When?
:wal:Yes.
:stat:Yes what?
:wal:No, When.
:stat:I don’t know, I’m asking you.

:stat::wal: oh ho ho ho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In addition to having the Doctor denigrate northern soul, the new series should also include a scene where she happens to be teaching a class comprised entirely of male nurses.

• Locked thread