Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kia Niro charging on CCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRGgOdjXWOY

A bit faster than Kona, tapers less on the midrange but has slightly weird breakpoints. No matter. Max rate is in the low 70s, which considering the lower consumption puts it up near the Model S, certainly the 60 or 75 models, at 470 km/hour. You won't get a full hour's worth of that speed though, since it fills up and begins tapering around the half hour mark. In a real hour of charging it added 380 km range. That means a 700 km trip is doable with a 1 hour dinner break in the middle, or two half hours along the way. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Kia Niro charging on CCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRGgOdjXWOY

A bit faster than Kona, tapers less on the midrange but has slightly weird breakpoints. No matter. Max rate is in the low 70s, which considering the lower consumption puts it up near the Model S, certainly the 60 or 75 models, at 470 km/hour. You won't get a full hour's worth of that speed though, since it fills up and begins tapering around the half hour mark. In a real hour of charging it added 380 km range. That means a 700 km trip is doable with a 1 hour dinner break in the middle, or two half hours along the way. Awesome.

minus the 100kW peak at the start, it looks like an SC graph also ends up tapering like that, hitting ~60kW at ~70% full.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well poo poo, got a check engine light on my Volt on the way home tonight... Shortly after it switched to gas (been a long time since that happened). Code P2097... Looking it up it appears that GM put out a service bulletin about this code false firing on 2016-2017 Volts. They update some unit to make it stop. Mine never got that update.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/7325/17058-service-update-p2097-post-o2-trim-diagnostic-false-failing-2016-2017-chevrolet-volt

quote:

Summary: 17058 - Service Update. The post O2 trim diagnostic may falsely fail causing DTC P2097 to set, commanding a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to illuminate. The vehicle runs and functions as normal with no other symptoms. Reprogram the Drive Motor Power Inverter Unit.

Between that, the active recall I need to have done, and now needing my first oil change (after nearly 2 full years!) I guess its time to visit the dealer.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

spandexcajun posted:

I cleaned up my garage and painted it white in preperation for my Model 3. I got a poster of Nikola Tesla's induction motor patent and framed it and hung it up, along with that cool pic of Nikola Tesla sitting with lighting and his big rear end tesla coil.

I have been thinking of getting a picture of the "spaceman" roadster, with the earth in the background.

Changed my mind, I now want a print of this Elon framed and hung up in my garage!

You’re a dork

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Suqit posted:

You’re a dork

Yes? I mean, it's the same thing as hanging up an old Texaco sign or something. Makes me happy when I park in the garage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

Yes? I mean, it's the same thing as hanging up an old Texaco sign or something. Makes me happy when I park in the garage.

Nobody does this either though

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
First longer-outing review of the P3D+ model 3

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode

quote:

Model 3 with 20-inch wheels wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber, upgraded brakes, a higher top speed, sport-tuned suspension, and a carbon-fiber spoiler on the back. As spec'd, it promises zero-to-60-mph dashes in just 3.5 seconds and a 155-mph top speed
With the Model 3 Performance, the first thing you notice when selecting Track mode is that the fans kick on high before you've even started moving, working to rid the electronics and powertrain of as much heat as possible in anticipation of the abuse to come. Tesla's new thermal-management strategy allows the Model 3 Performance to run harder for longer than the company's earlier vehicles
Turn-in is sharp but not overly aggressive, and rather than coming off as an electric take on the hairy-chested Mercedes-AMG C63 or BMW M3, the Model 3 Performance feels like a normal car that happens to have the chops to keep up with those overtly masculine German sedans.
What we can't tell you at this point is what the Model 3 Performance will do on a real track. But in 40 or 50 minutes of nigh-continuous tomfoolery on the autocross course, the car never cut power, the brakes exhibited zero sign of fade, and the only casualty seemed to be 100 miles of range.

With deliveries of these starting we may see actual track times soon.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

There is a thread in this forum dedicated to it? I could walk my dog right now and point out 10 different garage like this.

Why are so many goons to cool for school now? Everything does not have to suck.

Like, this is the EV thread and well over half the post are about how terrible Teslas are from people who have never driven one. Lighten up, the EV revolution is finally here and it's pretty cool. It's ok to like things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

There is a thread in this forum dedicated to it? I could walk my dog right now and point out 10 different garage like this.

Why are so many goons to cool for school now? Everything does not have to suck.

Like, this is the EV thread and well over half the post are about how terrible Teslas are from people who have never driven one. Lighten up, the EV revolution is finally here and it's pretty cool. It's ok to like things.

You're drifting into creepy cult of personality stuff with giant posters of Elon Musk.

Stick to pictures of inanimate objects, like a giant supercharger or a closeup of the Tesla emblem or something.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Deteriorata posted:

You're drifting into creepy cult of personality stuff with giant posters of Elon Musk.

Stick to pictures of inanimate objects, like a giant supercharger or a closeup of the Tesla emblem or something.

I don't have any posters of Elon Musk, I have one poster of Nikola Tesla. I made a joke about hanging up a print out of Elon toking up on the Joe Rogan podcast because it's silly as hell.

WTF is it with anti Tesla people and just flat out making poo poo up?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

I don't have any posters of Elon Musk, I have one poster of Nikola Tesla. I made a joke about hanging up a print out of Elon toking up on the Joe Rogan podcast because it's silly as hell.

WTF is it with anti Tesla people and just flat out making poo poo up?

What is it with Tesla people accusing everyone else of being anti-Tesla.

You said you wanted the picture. You wrote it like you were serious.Then you defended it as a completely normal thing to do.

You apparently thought it was a joke, I did not.

Assuming you were making a serious statement, it creeped me out and seemed cultish. That is all.

Now that we know that you're not actually going to hang it, we're cool. I apologize for missing :thejoke:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
More NiroChat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYWWtUNykA

500km (310 miles) on a charge with a price in the mid 30s is no joke. Since it and the Hyundai Kona Electric share a platform and software, the advertised mileage on these (240) would seem to be conservative.

Nero is coming "late 2018", the kona in "early 2019" so the only remaining questions are will they make them in any volume and will they actually market them or will they be a sideshow at dealers like the bolt.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

:lol: This was sarcastic, right?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Qwijib0 posted:

500km (310 miles) on a charge with a price in the mid 30s is no joke. Since it and the Hyundai Kona Electric share a platform and software, the advertised mileage on these (240) would seem to be conservative.

I thought the Kona was significantly smaller and is on a different platform?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

:lol: This was sarcastic, right?

Yeah there are definitely tons of people with a Texaco sign in their garage. I myself have a Shell V-Power NITRO+ pump in my garage. It doesn’t work but sometimes I like to sit out there with it watching SEC football games with my cardboard George W Bush whispering, “Mission accomplished” on every completion

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Qwijib0 posted:

First longer-outing review of the P3D+ model 3

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode

With deliveries of these starting we may see actual track times soon.

A coworker takes delivery of his (not a + to my knowledge, so no track mode,) on the 12th, I'll worm some seat time out of him and report back. (I let him drive my 3 right after I got it.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dissss posted:

I thought the Kona was significantly smaller and is on a different platform?

I don't know about platform or not, but they certainly share a lot, like battery packs, software, buttons, levers etc.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Disclaimer: I've owned 5 EVs and driven them daily for the last decade. I'm an EV and Tesla fanatic that should be ignored by the more enlightened posters in this thread.

Decided to breathe a little life into Roadster 1, while waiting for #2 :rms:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmyn3qoBrFh

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Powershift posted:

This is the back end of ford's all electric "Mach 1" which might be called the Model E.

I thought the Ford trademark claim on "E Model/Model E" had to do with the Econoline van and its variants.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They can change it to whatever.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Too good not to share.

(shamelessly stolen from a friend on Facebook)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 8, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e: forget about it!

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 8, 2018

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are right that the vast majority of consumers do not actually need the supercharger network at all, and most only need it very occasionally, but the fact that it exists allows for a better case to be made for ev adoption. consumers' self-perceived needs aren't necessarily rational!

tesla very intelligently looked at the current market, looked at EV adoption, and made a big loving list of barriers to purchase. one of these barriers is that people are worried they will run out of electricity and be stuck somewhere. what's the better solution? tell people that "haha that's not real" or build out an infrastructure solution that gets rid of that barrier to purchase?

There's also the matter that according to climate scientists, keeping the planet in not-to-terrible shape will require essentially abandoning fossil fuels altogether. This means that the minority of people who regularly drive outside the range of entry-level EVs would need to go electric. And if making it possible for them to do so also makes it easier to get everyone else into electric cars, that's a nice bonus. It's not like they'd be wasting their money, either - a battery which is rarely drained below 50% will last longer than one routinely used to its full potential.

eeenmachine posted:

Some professional test driver talked about his experience driving a 2020 Roadster prototype, claiming that it does indeed perform as advertised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcI-5AzPlr8

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

eeenmachine posted:

Disclaimer: I've owned 5 EVs and driven them daily for the last decade. I'm an EV and Tesla fanatic that should be ignored by the more enlightened posters in this thread.

That's a great color for that car! Looks awesome!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Is there a way to suggest changes to the model 3 software other than tweeting at Musk?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Hello I just bought a 2013 Nissan Leaf. Would anyone have any recommendations for a great at home charger?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Clipper Creek

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Adding Juicebox, OpenEVSE (available as a kit or assembled) are also good options. ChargePoint and Siemens also make them, but they tend to be more expensive.

Personally I have a basic ClipperCreek 3.6kW unit. Had I known about OpenEVSE at the time I probably would have went that way to get the monitoring features.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Another EV research facility starting up in Silicon Valley. This one from Harley-Davidson.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/265038/harley-announces-high-tech-silicon-valley-research-facility/ posted:

It's been a pretty busy month or so for Harley-Davidson. First the company dropped a bomb on the motoring world with the announcement of new, decidedly non-Harley products like the Pan American, the Streetfighter, and the LiveWire. Then there was the 115th anniversary party, the new CVO bikes, plans for storefront-based brand outreach, the unveiling of the bonkers FXDR 114—all kinds of crazy stuff. Now, not content to rest on its laurels, the Motor Company just dropped some electrifying news on us about a new research and development facility in NorCal.
I apologize for the lack of Elon Musk in this post.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Costco was running a $70 discount on the Siemens one. My wife got an older Juicebox (no wifi or smart grid poo poo) and it's been reliable. Just make sure you buy the right version (in-wall wired or plug-in) and that the plug is the same as whatever you get installed since there are a few form factors.

The car she has can do in-vehicle charge scheduling, so paying more for a charger that could do so didn't make sense to us.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Nice I'm soon to buy a Shock Chevy Bolt. It's really kind of a shame how rare colors are when buying a car.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Duck and Cover posted:

Nice I'm soon to buy a Shock Chevy Bolt. It's really kind of a shame how rare colors are when buying a car.

First time I've heard of that color option, that is awesome. Should be an option on every EV!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

There's also the matter that according to climate scientists, keeping the planet in not-to-terrible shape will require essentially abandoning fossil fuels altogether. This means that the minority of people who regularly drive outside the range of entry-level EVs would need to go electric.

It's either shift off of fossil fuels, or invest heavily in carbon capture and storage tech. In other words, you can keep your ICE car, so long as you pay the carbon offset tax for every gallon of fuel you burn, or else install some fancy doodad that captures the exhaust and stores in in some onboard tank or something.

(Realistically, we need both, because there's already too much CO2 in the atmosphere)

But the fundamental problem of climate change is that stopping it requires altruistic behavior on a global scale. It is always cheaper, easier, and more effective, at a local scale, to pollute than to not pollute.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's either shift off of fossil fuels, or invest heavily in carbon capture and storage tech. In other words, you can keep your ICE car, so long as you pay the carbon offset tax for every gallon of fuel you burn, or else install some fancy doodad that captures the exhaust and stores in in some onboard tank or something.

(Realistically, we need both, because there's already too much CO2 in the atmosphere)

Is there any possibility that it would ever be cost-effective to develop carbon capture devices for individual cars? I mean, you'd probably have to empty the CO2 tank about as often as you fill the gas tank, and we're already making steady progress towards there being no excuse for any motorist to stick with internal combustion.

quote:

But the fundamental problem of climate change is that stopping it requires altruistic behavior on a global scale. It is always cheaper, easier, and more effective, at a local scale, to pollute than to not pollute.

Likewise, it's usually more effective to develop technology to let people stop polluting within the framework of their existing lifestyle than it is to get them to make even modest sacrifices for the sake of the environment.

Especially when you consider that people often can't be bothered to discriminate between stuff that actually does good and stuff that provides some pathetic illusion of doing good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

Is there any possibility that it would ever be cost-effective to develop carbon capture devices for individual cars? I mean, you'd probably have to empty the CO2 tank about as often as you fill the gas tank, and we're already making steady progress towards there being no excuse for any motorist to stick with internal combustion.

I don't think this is likely for consumer cars, not that I know much of anything about carbon capture and storage. It's remotely possible it'd be feasible for larger vehicles. Converting a 40-ton big rig to battery power sounds like a challenge to me. Not insurmountable, but expensive, in terms of the amount of batteries needed to get any useful range, the amount of time spent charging those batteries vs. moving the truck (and therefore making money), and the additional weight (thus reduced hauling capacity) imposed by using batteries instead of fossil fuels. These are all solvable problems, but they'll take time, and in the intermediary period we may see alternative approaches.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Likewise, it's usually more effective to develop technology to let people stop polluting within the framework of their existing lifestyle than it is to get them to make even modest sacrifices for the sake of the environment.

Especially when you consider that people often can't be bothered to discriminate between stuff that actually does good and stuff that provides some pathetic illusion of doing good.

Carbon capture for individual cars seems extremely unlikely. If the technology were developed and cheap, you'd still run into human behavior problems with it. People get having to put gas into a car, they're not going to want to take stuff out regularly.

If the CC device fills up, what then? Does the car stop working? That will result in people dumping it by the side of the road rather than in an approved container. If the car will continue to run with it full, it will never be emptied. There may be ways around this tendency, but it starts to get rather Rube Goldberg-esque.

I think the easier way is go with bio or renewable fuels - either derived from plants or processes that create liquid fuels from CO2 from the air. That way the atmosphere itself becomes the CC device and the carbon gets recycled without increasing the net level.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Non plant matter(*) CCS is pretty much a load of poo poo that will take decades to make commercial (IF it can be at all) and a common talking point by fossil fuel lobbyists to insist that the damage done by the fossil fuel industry could be mitigated or negated pinky swear!

(*) If you plant a shitload of trees very fast and hope they grow very fast, that's the only vaguely viable CCS.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Carbon capture at the generation site, EV for the road. Far far far more efficient than trying to capture on individual cars. And aside from costs getting people to switch to EV mostly just takes education and getting them to test drive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Carbon capture for individual cars seems extremely unlikely. If the technology were developed and cheap, you'd still run into human behavior problems with it. People get having to put gas into a car, they're not going to want to take stuff out regularly.

If the CC device fills up, what then? Does the car stop working? That will result in people dumping it by the side of the road rather than in an approved container. If the car will continue to run with it full, it will never be emptied. There may be ways around this tendency, but it starts to get rather Rube Goldberg-esque.

I think the easier way is go with bio or renewable fuels - either derived from plants or processes that create liquid fuels from CO2 from the air. That way the atmosphere itself becomes the CC device and the carbon gets recycled without increasing the net level.

Treat it like running out of DEF in a diesel.