Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lobok posted:

MJ. I thought at first you meant Betty but then you edited your post and it sounded more like MJ.

no, I mean Betty. There's not really much she contributes to the mythos now that Ned Leeds is dead and Spidey has had over a dozen former love interests, there's multiple Bugle reporters, and so on and so forther. It makes sense to consolidate her traits into more significant characters like MJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

achillesforever6 posted:

Uhhhhhhhh Iron Man 3 was a movie directed by Shane Black, it was actually really good

I like Shane Black too, but IM3 is polarizing AF and there's no real point in arguing over it.

(Although I really would've liked to have seen the earlier version when Maya was the one behind the fake Mandarin, rather than Killian.)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Iron Man 2 was the bad one, Iron Man 3 was really good

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

VolticSurge posted:

It had one of the worst child performances since Phantom Menace. And the plot required nearly everyone to be stupid for it to happen. Why did they let the Iron Patriot onboard AIR FORCE loving ONE when he wasn't acting like Rhodes at all? Don't they have secret handshakes/code-words for this kind of thing?

Rhodes turned into an entirely different person between movies and no one seemed to notice

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Harley was one of the best parts of Iron Man 3 and I cannot understand comparing him to Anakin from The Phantom Menace

I think people just hate kids

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Again, EVERY. GAME. should have photo mode. Like it should be a mandatory thing now. Mario Odyssey had it, Horizon Zero Dawn had it, God of War, Spiderman, No Man's Sky, Breath of the Wild, apparently Witcher 3 got one at some point, Smash Bros will sort of have one.

Photo mode should be an industry standard from now on

Also new game+. Those two alone can breathe a lot of life into a game.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wanderer posted:

In fairness, Peter says straight-up in one of those scenes that Otto got in bed with AIM, Advanced Idea Mechanics. I don't think they're in the MCU yet aside from "Agents of SHIELD," but they're an organization of evil super-scientists. With them in his corner, he could've leapfrogged a lot of his development time in a very short period.

Huh, weird. Must have totally blanked on the aim thing when it came up. Thanks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

at first I was worried that the game kept throwing "melee increased by 10%" upgrades at me with levelups but the combat on Spectacular and the ever-growing stock of baddies that evolve along with you is great. I can never go back to Arkham and its "one at a time fellas" fighting. I loving love that you get dumped in so many diverse arenas and EVERYONE just comes at you constantly, really enhances that feeling of being agile and quick as poo poo, just being the total Spider-Man and zipping around everything because it's pretty much a mandate in the heat of things.

Also this game did the unthinkable and saddled a new and incredibly badass design for (30% of the game spoiler) Tombstone. Even his character bio hypes him up SO goddamn well.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

DLC Inc posted:

Also this game did the unthinkable and saddled a new and incredibly badass design for (30% of the game spoiler) Tombstone. Even his character bio hypes him up SO goddamn well.

The version of the character from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon was pretty badass as well. And for extra badass he's voiced by Keith David AKA Goliath from the Gargoyles cartoon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

. Actress is a poor fit for a character who's supposed to be in Peter's world. Such an awkward career for developing plots that eventually always lead to crime and the underworld. There are only so many sleazy producers.

You obviously don't follow Hollywood news. Harvey Weinstein hired loving ex Mossad guys to stalk Rose McGowan, tell me that doesn't sound like an 80s Spider-Man B plot?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol this entire city is like a day from dying from pollution and disease

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VolticSurge posted:

The version of the character from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon was pretty badass as well. And for extra badass he's voiced by Keith David AKA Goliath from the Gargoyles cartoon.

Only for the first episode, then he gets replaced by the still great voice but not as awesome Kevin Michael Richardson.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

sexpig by night posted:

this is the first time a non-comic MJ felt 'right'. She's cool, she genuinely cares deeply for Pete but also is very sick of spending her life worrying if he's gonna get gutted by some guy in a weird costume every night, and she can be kinda a badass herself too. Also the actress doing her is very good too.

Laura Bailey is excellent in everything she does, I wouldn't have known it was her if she hadn't mentioned it on Critical Role and her Twitter feed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the only "hard" one is the sable base and thats mostly because its "long" and you have to find the right path.

fisk is like 98% muscle and trains every day. i think he is one of the strongest unaltered humans in the marvel universe.

Probably the source I'm most familiar with is the spider-man saturday morning cartoon growing up and I swear in that it was just 99% spidey calling him a fatass. I looked up some more recent comic book pics and they made him way more intimidating lol

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Rirse posted:

Only for the first episode, then he gets replaced by the still great voice but not as awesome Kevin Michael Richardson.

I didn't even notice the switch honestly. Richardson's got range.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Having just finished the side missions involving him, I'm going to second that holy poo poo Tombstone is awesome in this. One of his missions is named after a Tom Waits... uh... I won't say a song, a Tom Waits thing. Also "You got a mean left hook. Can't wait for the rematch." Give me more of this duuuude oh my gooood

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really liked how the game introduced Peter and MJ's relationship. Bailey and Lowenthal did a great job selling how awkward it is between the two of them.

The Stan Lee cameo at the end got a good laugh out of me as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Once I got some speed boost abilities, traveling from harlem to the battery takes no time. I feel like this is going to be assassians creed where I do all the side stuff before touching main story missions, but as the whole map is available from the start I can just do everything then do the story.

I heard the Wall Street Bull is replaced by Lockjaw, but I looked everywhere in wall street and couldn't find it.
Also I saw a photo on FB of someone posting in front of a mural of Ms Marvel, and I'm curious where that is

I stayed up way later than I should just to get all the towers, which are all pretty easy and as I said, its pretty fast to get around once you get used to web swinging.

I need to remember to hit hide UI when I take pictures

If this is supposed to be the first in a Marvel Game Universe, I can't wait to see whats next. Bring on the Squirrel Girl game! Actually, I'm hoping DLC does add some other street level friendly heroes as guests. I mean there's squirrels already running around in the game!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The one thing bugging me about combat is that batman pinballed faster than Spidey at high combo. Like he would do a somersault mule kick 20 meters into some clown while Spidey will just throw a roundhouse at nothing a lot of the time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Rirse posted:

Pretty sure this gives away the spoiler. :v: But I'm excited anyway.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I swear to god, this characterization and set up with Otto was originally supposed to be for Curt Conners.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ytlaya posted:

lol this entire city is like a day from dying from pollution and disease

It's kind of true. There's this awesome book called The World Without Us that talks about what happens to what we've built if all of humanity were to simply vanish one day, and New York is one of the most precarious cities on the planet because so much of it is built on marshland. There are really old pumps under the city that have to run 24-7 to keep water out of the foundations, and if they stop, the city would start taking heavy water damage almost immediately.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

I swear to god, this characterization and set up with Otto was originally supposed to be for Curt Conners.

Lizard is implied to already exist because people dress up as him, along with Mysterio and Electro for Halloween.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

JBP posted:

Lizard is implied to already exist because people dress up as him, along with Mysterio and Electro for Halloween.

And you find items in backpacks related to them.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

(I’ve been ignoring the story for the goddamn collectibles)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

JBP posted:

Also one of the backpacks has a vial of Lizard's blood and the narration implies attempts to cure him initially succeeded but failed in the end

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Am I just missing a way to rotate stickers in photo mode, or is it really not in there?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does anyone else have the problem with Shocker where all they can hear in their head is Michael Keaton saying "ooooh I'm the Shocker! I shock people!" every time that character comes up?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

JBP posted:

The one thing bugging me about combat is that batman pinballed faster than Spidey at high combo. Like he would do a somersault mule kick 20 meters into some clown while Spidey will just throw a roundhouse at nothing a lot of the time.

I really like this combat and while I loved the Batman games, I'm starting to prefer this.

While this shares the same core combat of one attack button mixed up with gadgets and a combo system, there are some fairly big differences.

Batman always has someone locked on and will rubber band to them further and further away as your combo climbs but that's key to the entire system in that game. Combo in Batman is everything, your damage and finishers are both heavily reliant on the combo going up and chaining the melee into one single martial arts dance.

In Spider-Man I don't feel the Combo count is anywhere near as central to the design as it is in Batman. If you lose your Combo here, you keep your accumulated progress towards finishing moves and healing (a key difference). It just doesn't seem as needed to keep the flow going as I can move in, take out a few guys and swing round a corner to get ready for the next couple.

Because of the lack of rubber banding towards targets it means I'm in control all the time. In Spider-Man I have to choose where to move in order to attack and I have to be more situationally aware than in Batman. Batman's primary defence is the counter which means he's always doing damage in defence while Spidey can't even counter so it's more about bouncing around, never getting hit at all.

The lack of i-frames during wind up animations doesn't bother me much at all, it just means I need to be situationally aware and time things right. Most of the wind up type moves can be done in the air anyway keeping verticality as a bonus except when one of those figures with the whips is lurking about.

Nailing perfect dodges with the insta finish upgrade is really important too as it turns gun guys from annoying as gently caress into free KO's. The stun from it is really important crowd control as well as it stops the Brutes in their tracks while you clean up their buddies.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I can do so many rad things in combat because I'm not rubber banded to the enemies that I never could in Batman. I'm webbing enemies to walls more than beating them up which feels incredibly Spidey.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wish #NYCWallCrawler was real. Oh man it's so great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I agree with all of that, it's more that he doesn't really leap at stuff and the zipline feels a touch slow (plus you get shot). On the other hand I've taken to web swinging around and then launching lightning strikes with gadgets and poo poo while throwing missiles back at into people's faces which is 2000x more exciting than batman. Swing kicking a mook off a building then swinging around and attacking the mob from behind with a web grenade and a zip kick into the middle is loving awesome.

E: also use the wall leap attack. That was my solution to not feeling like a deadly pinball.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I wish #NYCWallCrawler was real. Oh man it's so great.

Yeah, I love it. When I saw posters concerned about Spidey's sanity after witnessing him chase after a pigeon I laughed my rear end off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do you get anything currently from buying the DLC add-on, or is it just for the future missions?

JBP posted:

I agree with all of that, it's more that he doesn't really leap at stuff and the zipline feels a touch slow (plus you get shot). l.

The web attack is basically the replacement for the "auto-leaping during melee" thing other games have. You're supposed to web attack enemies after comboing other enemies (hitting triangle will generally just make you web attack someone nearby I think, so I'll do an air combo to an enemy and then web attack another enemy and repeat the process).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 9, 2018

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

This game loving rules.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Grey Fox posted:

This game loving rules.

I love all the different suits in this game but I always end up changing back to one of red and blue ones after a bit. Its like my brain just rejects the others and needs the iconic colours or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Funky Valentine posted:

It’s more that they took ock’s original origin story, which was a super smart dude who always had some underlying mental poo poo gets his brain hosed up that he becomes a evil super villain mixed with the second rami movie.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I do feel like a bunch of the costumes are either super shiny armor, ______ on black, the original+fiddly bits, or some combination thereof. They're cool, but few of them come close to Spider-Punk Ben Reilly's tacky hoodie the original.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Friendly Fire posted:

I love all the different suits in this game but I always end up changing back to one of red and blue ones after a bit. Its like my brain just rejects the others and needs the iconic colours or something.

I loved 2099 as a kid for some reason so I'm having fun with that suit. Also the power is funny as hell.

I also like iron spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This game is just fun as hell.