Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Keldulas posted:

One thing that's baffling me is that they make a big hubbub about coffee shops in this game, but the coffees themselves are so lazy. Two of those coffees are literally just the beans and nothing else, and Enchanted Hat already pointed out the rose water deal. Why are so many of the recipes just one ingredient?

It really does seem very lazy. Recipes aside, I do appreciate that they tried to add something new and kinda different to Restaurant Empire. It's just that there's only so much you can really do with coffee beans. At least with the mixed drinks, we get some new and bizarre stuff like the milk and orange juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Given the listing, I would not be surprised if the prep method for the French Apple Tart is to import them from France.

"I've been waiting three days for THIS?"
"It was fresh when you order it."

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
I'd also like to point out that the ingredients in the Green Tea Lemonade amount to less than a quarter cup of liquid, so less than two ounces. So either you're paying $6 for a single shot, or it's VERY watered down.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Enchanted Hat posted:

It really does seem very lazy. Recipes aside, I do appreciate that they tried to add something new and kinda different to Restaurant Empire. It's just that there's only so much you can really do with coffee beans. At least with the mixed drinks, we get some new and bizarre stuff like the milk and orange juice.

I get that, but it's weird that they don't even try to put spice amounts in them either. No sugar, no cinnamon, no nothing. Where's the spirit of the cinnamon dessert?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Keldulas posted:

One thing that's baffling me is that they make a big hubbub about coffee shops in this game, but the coffees themselves are so lazy. Two of those coffees are literally just the beans and nothing else, and Enchanted Hat already pointed out the rose water deal. Why are so many of the recipes just one ingredient?

I think water is still being used, but the developers removed water from the recipe cards because those only show the ingredients you pay for and I guess water is "free". Otherwise I haven't seen water or ice used in any of the recipes.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think water is still being used, but the developers removed water from the recipe cards because those only show the ingredients you pay for and I guess water is "free". Otherwise I haven't seen water or ice used in any of the recipes.

There's water in the french apple tart, for example, though! :psyduck:

Logic has no place in the realm of Restaurant Empire, I guess.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that's a recipe from the last game, so it might be they just decide to skip on the water for new recipes for reasons?

lpmerson
Apr 1, 2016
If we get to build/name a custom restaurant like in the first game, then I suggest we call it ABOMINATION and fill it with the ugliest, most clashing poo poo we can find and serve it with terrible quality.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But that's every restaurant? :confused:

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Not the naming part, no.

lpmerson posted:

I suggest we call it ARMAND'S FINAL ABOMINATION

ftfy

Even on the slimmest of off-chances it turns out to be a Delia-run coffee shop, since there's no loving way Armand would abide by a major venture that wasn't all about him.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Snorb posted:

Maybe it's me, but a grilled feta cheese sandwich with ham and/or bacon doesn't really sound all that bad. (Full disclosure: Is not really sure if feta will melt when grilled.)

it's only a bad idea because feta is a substandard cheese to use in a sandwich. if i were being forced to combine ham, bacon, and feta cheese somehow my first thought is salad

also i noticed this

one of the ingredients of lemonade is... lemonade :geno:

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 10, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

luxury handset posted:

As recipes in this game go, this one's pretty on target.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its not that bad aside from "to make lemonade, first add lemonade" and what exactly half of an orange zest peel is

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

All of you talking about that weird feta bacon ham thing and nobody noticing that the BLT has feta on it for some weird-rear end reason

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

luxury handset posted:

Three entire teaspoons of it too, wow! There's more tea leaf and zest in it than lemonade.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's portion control and shrinkflation taken to the extreme. Armand is looking out for both his customer's waistlines and his bottom line.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

someone awful. posted:

All of you talking about that weird feta bacon ham thing and nobody noticing that the BLT has feta on it for some weird-rear end reason

More horrifyingly, it has as much feta as bread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This LP makes me happy and baffled in equal measure.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Enchanted Hat posted:

Well umm, I gotta go…

Ok… I'll see you later?

Yeah. Bye hon.

So, seeing as how Armand is French, will there be an option to 'threesome' it up with wifey and heiress?

:pervert:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Episode 5: Where it all began

Over there… yep, that's good.

Now move that other light a little more to the left… ok a little more… more… now stop, that's great!

And that last one on the right; tilt that down a little bit, around ten more degrees… Perfect!

Alright boys, I think that's it. Good job everyone! The stage looks great!

So you ok working at seven 'til nine?

Sure, no problem

Alright, I'll see you tonight then.

You got it.

Nice of Robert from the last game to come help us set up the stage. We can now hire entertainers!

It's a bad idea.

This screen shows how our restaurant's rating is calculated. Getting a higher restaurant rating is important, and entertainers contribute to that, so you'd think that they would be quite useful. However, entertainers barely make any difference at all to the rating calculation.

The restaurant's overall rating is a combination of your food, service and environment ratings, from which the game then deducts your price and complaints ratings. These factors are all weighted differently in the calculation, and the thing with the lowest weighting of all is the environment factor. The environment rating itself is a combination of your decoration, comfort, exterior and view and live performance ratings, with live performances being weighted the least out of all of these. So your live performance rating makes the smallest contribution to the least important factor in calculating your restaurant rating. At the same time, setting up stages for live performances takes up a lot of space in your restaurant which could have accommodated more paying guests, and you have to pay performers several times more than your productive employees. Basically, performers are worthless leeches that will drag you down and barely do anything for your restaurant.

HOWEVER, I have this strange feeling that I should not ignore live performers, and that I should try to make sure that I have access to the very best live performers if I don't want to have to restart a mission with a really bullshit mission objective far later in the game. Just a hunch. So welcome aboard, performers!

Treize à Table is boringly ordinary at the moment. I'm going to move some tables around and try to optimise the layout, but I'll keep the default walls, floor and tables until we can have a vote about it.

There we go. Like a factory!

Shortly after we open for business, this management consultant tries to sell me a ticket to her lecture on business productivity. The only thing notable about this is that I had to click through four dialogue boxes before I could tell her to go away.

After getting rid of the management consultant, I get called to another table. What'll they want to sell us this time?

I've read about your restaurant in the papers Armand, and I must say the food is everything they say it is. I like it very much…

It's always a pleasure to hear from a satisfied customer.

Only a customer, Armand? I'm hoping I'm more than that to you… a friend perhaps?

I had a feeling today that a very important patron was coming in tonight…

I tease, I tease... So, kidding aside. How are you Armand?

It has been very hectic lately I should say. Managing a successful restaurant is tiring work no?

It is the price of success wouldn't you say?

I must confess I'm especially happy now, since you've finally had a chance to taste my cooking.

Haha… yes well, I'm glad I've finally been able to drop by as well.

How was your trip by the way?

…oh, you know, the usual. I'm required to attend these formal functions every now and then. Hobnob with tycoons and movie stars. It's all very superficial…

…but you need to do it to get any work done.

That's right. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining. I live a privileged life. It's just that, sometimes, it can get a little too much, and the spotlight can be overwhelming at times.

Which is why I enjoy being here so much…

It's a joy for me to hear you say that, Michele.

Ah shoot, I don't want to eat and run, but…

…and I do have a kitchen to attend to. So… I'll see you around?

Hopefully not too long… Here's my number in case you feel the urge to call.

Maybe we could meet up again sometime…

I would like that.

Armand, I don't think becoming a TV personality has been good for you.

Anyway, I noticed at this point that we got a new batch of recipes from our recipe research. It seems the game sometimes doesn't tell you if you earn the recipes in a month where you transition to a new mission.

This is our new French dessert, strawberry lasagne. Delicious.

On the other hand, this new American dessert recipe for gin soufflé* sounds more promising.

*Sloe gin soufflé does not contain sloe fruit or gin.

Green tea with milk? Iced green tea with milk?

Continuing the proud tradition of mixing things with very low pH values with milk is the pineapple cooler.

This is amazingly profitable for a coffee shop recipe, so I'm not even going to make fun of it.

After I return to Treize à Table, George decides to pay us a visit.

Armand, my good man! I just got the latest word on the show.

You have good news?

Well we hit our numbers so…

…that’s a good thing right?

We're managing! So yes, that is a good thing. And that's something I can't say for the other shows on our timeslot.

What's our next game plan then?

Well we just keep on plugging that's what. We'll hit our stride eventually. But you'll need to keep up the charm and perform even better. The next few weeks will be crucial to the show's survival…

Alright then. Thanks for coming over George.

We're adequate! :toot:

Now that we've set up a stage for performances, guests will start trying to hook us up with their friends' worthless garage bands and improv groups and Juilliard-trained violinists. Pfft. BUT, because of my newfound respect for stage performers, I enthusiastically take the guest up on his offer.

It turned out to be a good call. The violinist isn't any better than the pianist, but he does charge $7 less per hour!

A guest sells me this recipe for $16,875. That does not look like a scone.

I also buy this cranberry tea recipe. At least this contains cranberries (but not tea).

Guests are really throwing recipes at me today. This one was $40,500! It's got a nice quality rating, but the gross profit per serving is only $2.02. What's even the point.

It's the end of the month, and I'm failing the mission objectives. I briefly wonder why before I realise that I never actually told the performers to come perform at the restaurant. I tell the violinist to start showing up at six.

Charles Young comes to do a set, and I quickly realise why he's $7 cheaper than the pianist. I don't know the name of the piece that he's playing, but it's on the level of Itsy Bitsy Spider.

But our guests were impressed, and we pass the mission!

Now we need to do something about Treize à Table

These are the wall, floor and table options for the restaurant. The top row of tables are fine, the ones from G onward are awful, so picking one of those might make things challenging for me.

Treize à Table has a huge number of tapestries and paintings we can use. Since this restaurant was in Restaurant Empire 1, I still have all the old edited tapestries and paintings from the old LP, but I figured it'd be fun to try some new stuff this time!

And here are the unique floor-mounted decorations.

Thread poll: what décor should we have in Treize à Table?

Vote on wall, floor and table design. For example, to vote for wall type C, floor type D and table type B, vote "CDB". The winning combination will be whatever has the most votes when I play the next mission. Also, let me know if you want me to add any of the floor or wall decorations.

Enchanted Hat fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 12, 2018

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Here are the texture files for the Treize à Table paintings and tapestries!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
CDI for maximum migraine.

We need a shrine to ourselves, a tapestry flanked by muscly busts and cherubs pointing at it from both three sides.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 12, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

To be fair to green tea and milk Starbucks sells Matcha Green Tea Lattes, which can be ordered iced so its not that crazy.

As for Lemonade clearly its a few spoons of countrytime lemonade mix.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Someone needs to grab that Napoleon Crossing the Alps and shop Armand's head onto it, and then stick it on one of the tapestry sized wall decorations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Get rid of the whipped cream and add some tapioca/other toppings, and it’s basically boba. Which is extremely good. :shobon: can’t speak to the ratios used in-game though.

I feel like our war tapestries from the first game should make a return.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
BBB for maximum orbs.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

EBK is clearly the thing to hit the news and signalboost our ratings.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Man, Restaurant Empire 2 is just all about throwing in badly thought-out gimmicks. Sheesh.

One thing I will both compliment and condemn it for is Armand's interactions with Michele. It's actually a reasonably good build-up to a romantic interest that we didn't get last game with Delia since they're both independent people with their own lives and the conversation flow is actually decent.

Only.... the stupid fucker is already married now due to getting the 'prize' last game. Cmon, seriously?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
CDJ seems like just the thing for us.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Can we surround the performer with wine racks so that the music is coming from a hidden, muffled room? Or, failing that, make sure that he's surrounded by the privacy screens so none of the patrons need to look at his busted rear end busker face?

Also, ECK.

I support that. Eat faster, rubes. Time is money.
|
V

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 12, 2018

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
I have no opinion on the wallpaper or tables but I do think you should fill the place with grandfather clocks to ensure that guests realize how much of Armand's valuable time they're wasting. As many grandfather clocks as possible.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Enchanted Hat posted:

Hopefully not too long… Here's my number in case you feel the urge to call.

Maybe we could meet up again sometime…

I would like that.

What are you waiting for Armand? An engraved invitation to Pound Town?

He’s a French celebrity chef, so, this is expected behavior, non?

Enchanted Hat posted:

Thread poll: what décor should we have in Treize à Table?

Vote: E, D, H for maximum Eating In A Bathroom!!!

Also, mermaid fountains and fireplaces at every table! Because Water and Fire are the best combo cooking elements!

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

WampaPartyEX posted:

I have no opinion on the wallpaper or tables but I do think you should fill the place with grandfather clocks to ensure that guests realize how much of Armand's valuable time they're wasting. As many grandfather clocks as possible.

Seconded. Bring on the clocks!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

WampaPartyEX posted:

I second this idea, but do combine it with the earlier suggestion of the Armand-Shrine.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

To be fair to green tea and milk Starbucks sells Matcha Green Tea Lattes, which can be ordered iced so its not that crazy.

Nondevor posted:

Get rid of the whipped cream and add some tapioca/other toppings, and it’s basically boba. Which is extremely good. :shobon: can’t speak to the ratios used in-game though.

That sounds outrageous. Anyone asking for milk in their green tea is getting thrown out of my cafés. :colbert:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Armand's whole world got turned upside down by Michelle:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A salad made with 1 head of lettuce and half a tomato, plus a bunch of meat and cheese.

Thats not a salad, thats a burger missing its buns!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's a deconstructed hamburger salad. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

What if, instead of a head of lettuce, it's just one leaf. It's a weird rear end wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

bunnyofdoom posted:

What if, instead of a head of lettuce, it's just one leaf. It's a weird rear end wrap.

It's a weird, rear end wrap.

:o: