Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Which other creator is like Roddenberry in that the IP they're given credit for making was only good because of someone's input? The next person who comes is Rob Liefeld who came with Deadpool's name, Deadpool's costume, and gently caress-all else to do with the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Darth Walrus posted:

Are you saying they’re decoupled now?

There are so many sources for weird sex stuff that it is no longer OBLIGATORY that it gets included in sci-fi and horror because there is no other outlet for it.

They still are included, all the time, 100%, but still.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah the original Star Trek theme has lyrics (written by Roddenberry) that meant he got half the royalties despite the lyrics never being used.

Max Wilco posted:

Ohmygod, are you serious? :vince:
Yup.

And then Red Dwarf went and did it years later, except with the added twist of the gunman being JFK himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Which other creator is like Roddenberry in that the IP they're given credit for making was only good because of someone's input? The next person who comes is Rob Liefeld who came with Deadpool's name, Deadpool's costume, and gently caress-all else to do with the character.

I thought we were trying to get away from Star Wars chat? :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean wasn't deadpool originaly just some random henchmen type who was ripped off of deathstroke.

business hammocks posted:

Oh yeah, check out his failed 70s pilot Genesis II, where the heroes have to infiltrate a BDSM dungeon that the villains use to make people into their slaves:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_II_(film)

And check out his failed 70s pilot Planet Earth, where John Saxon has to infiltrate a fiendish matriarchal society where a young(er) Dr. Pulaski from TNG is head dominatrix and tortures helpless men into becoming her slaves. Also, the plot summary on the back of the dvd case literally calls her a dominatrix, so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(film)

Also John Saxon saves the day by loving her so good that she decides men are her equal.

Science fiction and super-pervy weird stuff didn’t really decouple until the internet had been around for a while.

lol, thats amusing and hosed up. i kinda want to see this.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Which other creator is like Roddenberry in that the IP they're given credit for making was only good because of someone's input?

Nightmare Before Christmas has Tim Burton's name all over it despite the fact that he never directed it and got in a bunch of slapfights with Danny Elfman over the music.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stan Lee and Bob Kane.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

khwarezm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa5gqbJ-6m0

I'm a bit astonished that EA is willing to dig in its heels so strongly on this, it makes me want to see them get smashed by the full force of the law.

Also it was pretty hilarious when 2K tried to mobilize it's 'fanbase' to fight for the right of lootboxes in their games.

I'm sure that's gonna go real well for them when other countries start legislating loot boxes too.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
IIRC a lot of instrumental TV themes have lyrics for various legal shenanigans and sometimes even legitimate reasons. Star Trek definitely isn't the only one. Like the MASH theme was part of an intentional quest to write a song with the dumbest possible lyrics, which naturally made it a #1 hit in the UK.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 13, 2018

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Acute Grill posted:

IIRC a lot of instrumental TV themes have lyrics for various legal shenanigans and sometimes even legitimate reasons. Star Trek definitely isn't the only one. Like the MASH theme was part of an intentional quest to write a song with the dumbest possible lyrics, which naturally made it a #1 hit in the UK.

Its lyrics were also partially written by a teenager which helped matters, I'd imagine. To this day I still can't believe Marilyn Manson did an honest to goodness cover of Suicide is Painless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The MASH theme has stupid lyrics because it was written for the film in which a stupid song is sung for levity during a scene while Painless commits a faux suicide. It was never intended to be an instrumental or a theme.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The lyrics were intentionally terrible, though. I dunno, maybe my perspective is skewed because literally the only memory of MASH I have is the TV theme.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2008/10/interview-joh-5.html posted:

Bob said, "All is not lost. I’ve got a 15-year-old kid who’s a total idiot." So Michael Altman, at age 15, wrote the lyrics, and then I wrote the music to them.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 13, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Stan Lee and Bob Kane.

I dunno, Bob Kane sure seemed to understand Batman’s function as the manifestation of god’s will:

“PS I guess I love my wife and children too. Whatever.”

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

nine-gear crow posted:

Mike and Rich ReView Mike’s hastily written one-page treatment pitch for that new Jean-Luc Picard show CBS is doing now that Les “Sweet Jesus I Hate Star Trek” Moonves has been #MeToo’d into oblivion. And it’s kinda sad and revealing, not gonna lie. It’s kind of a shame to see Mike falling so hard into backwards-looking nostalgia especially for a franchise that was all about moving ahead (Enterprise, JJTrek, and Discovery notwithstanding).

RLM's non-Plinkett stuff was really disillusioning and informative to me when they started doing those. Like you're getting a look past the layers of intellectualising that come into the process when you're writing a script for a character. I remember that Ghostbusters 2 commentary where they nostalgically remembered a bunch of the "great moments" from the first movie in contrast to 2, which they remembered as bad, and then almost every one of the moments they mentioned happened later in the movie.

Plinkett had always been these opinions and half-remembered fragments of films they hadn't seen in a while or thought about much, conglomerated into some sense of critical analysis. It was simply presented better. And when you realise the difference between making a decent video and actually having a point, a lot of things start to fall into place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hbomberguy posted:

Plinkett had always been these opinions and half-remembered fragments of films they hadn't seen in a while or thought about much, conglomerated into some sense of critical analysis.

lmfao you are loving delusional

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

RLM's non-Plinkett stuff was really disillusioning and informative to me when they started doing those. Like you're getting a look past the layers of intellectualising that come into the process when you're writing a script for a character. I remember that Ghostbusters 2 commentary where they nostalgically remembered a bunch of the "great moments" from the first movie in contrast to 2, which they remembered as bad, and then almost every one of the moments they mentioned happened later in the movie.

Plinkett had always been these opinions and half-remembered fragments of films they hadn't seen in a while or thought about much, conglomerated into some sense of critical analysis. It was simply presented better. And when you realise the difference between making a decent video and actually having a point, a lot of things start to fall into place.

We get it, you vape. love the prequels.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Mike and Rich ReView Mike’s hastily written one-page treatment pitch for that new Jean-Luc Picard show CBS is doing now that Les “Sweet Jesus I Hate Star Trek” Moonves has been #MeToo’d into oblivion. And it’s kinda sad and revealing, not gonna lie. It’s kind of a shame to see Mike falling so hard into backwards-looking nostalgia especially for a franchise that was all about moving ahead (Enterprise, JJTrek, and Discovery notwithstanding).

I wouldn't call a show whose only premise and selling point is the old guy from that show from the 80s is back, to be moving ahead. Besides much of early TNG were recycling old TOS and Phase II scripts and the TNG films were stuck in a weird Revenge rut.

I think its fair to fall back on TNG nostlagia when thats what this new show will be built upon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plinkett is unfunny, but those videos are just them doing basic script workshop exercises with the prequels and describing how they as film students would have responded to seeing the script, at least the first ones. They definitely get lazy around maybe the new star trek movies. But they have a basic logic behind them. I’m pretty sure the Episode I video has footage of them doing a workshop activity on Episode I in their screenwriting class.

Even the kind of lazy “there’s a room on the spaceship that’s only there to open a small door into space?” from that one tng movie review is pointing out something they probably teach you in early screenwriting classes, something like “don’t abandon the logic of your setting for the sake of emotional beats unless you have a good reason.”

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Plinkett had always been these opinions and half-remembered fragments of films they hadn't seen in a while or thought about much, conglomerated into some sense of critical analysis.

Sounds eerily familiar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Weirder than thinking the prequels are good - to me - is the idea of disagreeing with the claim that Plinkett isn't a well structured critique of a film that sets out a hypothesis and progresses toward examining the fundamental flaws that make up the entire sequence of people talk until action scene introducing toy but largely a series of individual rebukes of the film(s) that owes its notability to happening to have a technical veneer lent to echoing the inarticulated emotional conclusions of its waiting audience.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I’m fuckin mad bout Star Wars!!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mike Stoklassa is stuck in the angry irony phase of the internet circa 2003, but has a beautiful earnest optimism butterfly within him that he is afraid to let burst out of his chest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nine-gear crow posted:

Enterprise, JJTrek and Discovery is the entirety of the franchise for the past 15 years. Doing a story set post-TNG moves the franchise forward more than yet another version of "let's meet the Klingons for the first time".

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ghostlight posted:

Weirder than thinking the prequels are good - to me - is the idea of disagreeing with the claim that Plinkett isn't a well structured critique of a film that sets out a hypothesis and progresses toward examining the fundamental flaws that make up the entire sequence of people talk until action scene introducing toy but largely a series of individual rebukes of the film(s) that owes its notability to happening to have a technical veneer lent to echoing the inarticulated emotional conclusions of its waiting audience.

Hmm, yes, hmm.

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't know what you mean by 'moving forward' in this context, Enterprise, Discovery and especially JJTrek all suffer from the same issues of being stuck as prequels to the Trek timeline that rely off of heavy references of the more recognizable tropes related to the series. They are also basically the entire franchise for the last 20 years.

Trek has been spending a lot of time caught in a self referential loop and getting more and more ground down into just another schlocky action series. At this point even if its not 'new' I would far prefer to see the franchise go back to a more thoughtful basis where it toys with philosophical sci-fi ideas and diplomatic approaches to issues instead of 'I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!', if it needs to bring back Picard for that then fine by me.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Hbomberguy posted:

see this? and people don't believe me when I call hbomb trolling

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

yeah, well, who has more youtube subscribers? checkmate dumbass

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Imo it's OK if hbomb doesn't like the bad videos

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Or does like the bad videos for that matter.

:v:

Ghostlight posted:

Push "You only consider it good cause it said what you wanted to hear, sheeple" harder. No way it'll come off as imbecelic this time.

Also jesus tits that argument from volcabulary.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

khwarezm posted:

Trek has been spending a lot of time caught in a self referential loop and getting more and more ground down into just another schlocky action series. At this point even if its not 'new' I would far prefer to see the franchise go back to a more thoughtful basis where it toys with philosophical sci-fi ideas and diplomatic approaches to issues instead of 'I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!', if it needs to bring back Picard for that then fine by me.

Of course, it could just be a series about "let's fight the Borg" over and over.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Incredible "structured critique" such as

*checks notes*

...shot-reverse-shot is bad????

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Recently youtube has been recommending me a lot of Karl Smallwood stuff and I can't quite stress how much this is "What if Cracked adapted their writing style into a single human and had him do Not-Listicles". Only jammed with a chunk of parasocial stuff what with him having constant exchanges with the camera guy. Now that sounds like I'm describing auditorial hell (and in some cases it gets really, really close to that) but for a somewhat amusing mini doc ordeal once every few days, it does the job.

Aaand the writing style gets less bad when presented in video format, somewhat helped by having a dude off camera ask him actual human questions and observations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Trek in general gets markedly better after Roddenberry dies and Maurice Hurley is fired as a writer. DS9 starts out real bland then gets crazy good in its mid-late run. And Voyager starts off decent but never really capitalizes on its premise to its full potential and reaches a quality plateau for most of its run as Rick Berman and Brannon Braga start to burn the gently caress out heading into Enterprise after doing Trek for nearly 15 years at that point while Les Moonves squirrels away behind the scenes on his yearslong campaign to finally kill Star Trek for good in between his regular job of being TV's Harvey Weinstein in terms of sexually abusing and then destroying the careers of women in the industry.

DS9 started out good and got amazing. The early seasons are a refreshing change of pace from the seek out new life and new civilizations exploration of TOS and TNG (though it still has a decent amount). The station has positioned itself at the edge of a new frontier and the galaxy is coming to it. Instead of seeing the knew and unknown through the eyes of ambassadors and scientists in the Enterprise's incarnations, it's filtered through the PoV of more common folk of a newly established hub's staff and merchants. People who aren't primarily concerned with discovery but are just trying to make a living or keep everything from falling apart around them. People who aren't exactly diplomatically equipped to deal with cultures that seem alien and even barbaric to them, like the Tosk & Hunters, a situation they managed to work out in the end, but a solution someone trained to deal with this, like Kirk or Picard, would've come up with after only ten minutes from first contact to moralizing.

Sisko's an especially well designed character for the role of an admin from the non-diplomatic branch of Starfleet just trying to keep things together since he's already lived through one newly discovered enemy invading the Alpha Quadrant, now he's got to worry if that might happen again through the wormhole and guess what, it does. He got in way over his head after he discovered the wormhole and the sum of his fears eventually came to pass, yet he was able to rise to the occasion no matter how many times things went wrong and grew as a character. If the Dominion had gone full-on invasion the day after the wormhole was opened, he wouldn't have been anywhere near ready, he'd have been like a level one MMO character trying to solo a world boss; in a sense, this is part of why people who say skip the first seasons are wrong, you only see who DS9's characters have become and miss out on how they got there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Star Trek Picard is moving forward because it has moved forward from mining TOS nostalgia to mining TNG nostalgia.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Push "You only consider it good cause it said what you wanted to hear, sheeple" harder. No way it'll come off as imbecelic this time.

Also jesus tits that argument from volcabulary.
I liked the Plinkett videos and I don't disagree with the arguments presented in them, but I think a large part of their impact was they rode a wave of existing fan dissatisfaction with the prequels by virtue of being capable of expressing how the films were bad instead of just saying they were.

I apologise, English isn't my second language.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Recently rewatched part of the prequel videos and they focus more on how the problems of the production of the film spill into the final product, TLJ video does a bit of this too. As someone who's moved back to "the prequels are good again actually" I can still see how the problems pointed out in the plinkett videos do hurt the film. It's weird to me that anyone would need to disavow a critique of a movie just to elevate it's good qualities.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I apologise, English isn't my second language.

Subtle and reserved as the US President himself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It’s okay but if your gonna try and justify it at least be coherent.

Alternatively it’s okay to not like the bad post.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

but what about the bad post about the good videos?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s okay but if your gonna try and justify it at least be coherent.

Bah, he doesn't need to justify his liking the bad videos.

He does need to justify his CD-tier takes though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do feel it’s weird Hbomberguy hates RLM as I have watched his videos on shows and from a critical point of view the styles are basically the same. From what they critic to how they do it.