Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The regen limit is still a thing for other Time Lords. Twelve asks the captain of the guard what number he's on before he shoots him. So it may as yet be a thing somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah they definitely didn't remove it as a thing for the others, they (well, Moffat I guess) just made a point of having the Doctor note he no longer knows how many regenerations he will have. It basically leaves things open-ended so 50 years from now Doctor #27 can just shrug and move on after checking in the mirror and being disappointed they're not Tom Baker again yet.

Tom Baker, will of course, cameo in the episode, still alive and madder than ever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Moffat said something to the effect that The Curator changes his face almost every day.

So sometimes he's Tom Baker, sometimes he's Colin Baker, and maybe, in a perfect world, sometimes he's Peter Cushing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nodosaur posted:

So sometimes he's Tom Baker, sometimes he's Colin Baker, and maybe, in a perfect world, sometimes he's Peter Cushing.

Doesn't even need to be a perfect world to give someone Peter Cushing's face. :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's more that I doubt they'd acknowledge it

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nodosaur posted:

It's more that I doubt they'd acknowledge it

Could they at least acknowledge his headcanon for how his movies fit into the Doctor Who universe? Because that's one of the most :3: Peter Cushing things ever (and that's saying something).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Didn't Robert Holmes have a plan back in the day to establish that Peter Davison was in fact the 13th Doctor (building off the extra pre-Hartnell faces that appeared in The Brain of Morbius), and that's where the Doctor's uncertainty that he'd regenerate at all in The Caves of Androzani came from?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

Could they at least acknowledge his headcanon for how his movies fit into the Doctor Who universe? Because that's one of the most :3: Peter Cushing things ever (and that's saying something).

What was that again?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

What was that again?

They were going to have the movie posters on display in the Black Archive in "The Day of the Doctor", but they couldn't get the rights to show them!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Paul McGann has been playing a dodgy doctor (har!) in Holby City for much of the year; last night's episode featured, as a guest patient, Sylvester McCoy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ms Boods posted:

Paul McGann has been playing a dodgy doctor (har!) in Holby City for much of the year; last night's episode featured, as a guest patient, Sylvester McCoy.

Apparently they didn’t share any scenes though?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently they didn’t share any scenes though?

I'm only about half way through -- I tend to take about two days to get through a Holby.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

What was that again?

From the Dcotor Who Interview Archive:

Peter Cushing posted:

Well I’ll tell you something I thought once. I just said I didn’t watch TV, but one of the few episodes of the ‘Dr. Who’ series that I saw was one that involved a kind of mystical clown (‘The Celestial Toymaker’? – ed.), and I realised that perhaps he kidnapped Dr Who and wiped his memory and made him relive some of his earlier adventures. When Bill Hartnell turned into Patrick Troughton, and changed his appearance, that idea seemed more likely. I think that’s what happened, so I think those films we did fit perfectly well into the TV series.

Davros1 posted:

They were going to have the movie posters on display in the Black Archive in "The Day of the Doctor", but they couldn't get the rights to show them!

Sorry for the confusion, I meant Cushing's own theory. Although here's a bit I hadn't heard before I went to hunt down the quote:

quote:

Q: Were you ever asked?

A: Twice, as it happens. When Bill Hartnell was forced to quit, I was asked if I would be interested in taking the lead in the new series. I turned it down, which I now regret a little. It would have been fun. But at the time, you know, I considered myself a serious film actor and stepping into a television series seemed like a step backwards. I don’t know how serious the producers were about hiring me. But perhaps if I’d said yes, they would have been pleased and you would have had me fighting Daleks and Cybermen week in, week out. But I’m glad I didn’t in some ways, because Patrick was so wonderful.

:monocle:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Those are such lovely interview snippets, fingers crossed someone doesn't come here with a quote that turns my lovely image of Peter Cushing into a nightmare.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
My favorite (non-Who) bit of Peter Cushing trivia was how Christopher Lee was griping about not getting a role or something, and eventually Cushing looked up from his crossword, raised an eyebrow, and said quietly "yes, but you don't have to go on about it, old boy." Lee said that was like a verbal lashing coming from Cushing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Carrie Fisher described him as the nicest "tea and biscuits" English actor she'd ever met and recounted how the riding boots he'd been given as part of his costume for Star Wars didn't fit him properly, so Lucas allowed him to wear his slippers instead. This is why Tarkin is never seen from either the knees or the waist down in any of his scenes.

Anyway, I must be confusing my timelines here, if he was saying he didn't want to "downgrade" from movies to television in 1966; hadn't he already been Sherlock Holmes on television?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cushing apparently starred in a radio pilot for a Dr Who series, and recorded a pilot, but it wasn't picked up for series and never broadcast.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_into_Time_(audio_story)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is why Tarkin is never seen from either the knees or the waist down in any of his scenes.

*ahem*

The factoid about that is that anytime you don't see his shoes, he's wearing the slippers. But there's a couple of shots of him in the boots.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Those are such lovely interview snippets, fingers crossed someone doesn't come here with a quote that turns my lovely image of Peter Cushing into a nightmare.

Did you know he blew up a planet of innocents while wearing fluffy slippers because the boots of the empirical regime he was a part of were too right?

(I also like how that's the most common go-to Peter factoid)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYX1-vjly70

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Carrie Fisher described him as the nicest "tea and biscuits" English actor she'd ever met and recounted how the riding boots he'd been given as part of his costume for Star Wars didn't fit him properly, so Lucas allowed him to wear his slippers instead. This is why Tarkin is never seen from either the knees or the waist down in any of his scenes.

Anyway, I must be confusing my timelines here, if he was saying he didn't want to "downgrade" from movies to television in 1966; hadn't he already been Sherlock Holmes on television?

Sherlock Holmes is a huge loving deal, especially over there. Those specials were basically big prestige stuff.

So that was just another feather in his cap.

Doctor Who was the show that owed money on its budget and got by with strings and bubbles

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In fact, didn't Cushing take over the Holmes role from someone else as well? :D

As an aside, it's crazy to me that Sexton Blake was still popular enough in the 1960s that he appeared in a television series (starring Laurence Payne, who will be recognised by Doctor Who fans as Dastari from "The Two Doctors") and now he's completely forgotten.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first series, which he wasn't in, aired in 1965; they didn't get round to doing another one until 1968.

Burkion posted:

Sherlock Holmes is a huge loving deal, especially over there. Those specials were basically big prestige stuff.

They weren't specials, he did 16 50-minute episodes, and while the series was a major smash hit, it was also absolutely riddled with production incompetence, it was all done in a great rush without nearly enough time.

quote:

Whenever I see some of those stories they upset me terribly, because it wasn't Peter Cushing doing his best as Sherlock Holmes - it was Peter Cushing looking relieved that he had remembered what to say and said it!

Cushing only got the job because his predecessor Douglas Wilmer said he'd rather sweep Paddington station for a living than do another series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jeremy Brett best Sherlock though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

One of the few times my dad and I have ever argued about something was over who played the best Holmes: I said Brett; he insisted upon Rathbone.

(Obviously Rathbone's great but Brett is one of the three well and truly perfectly-cast literary detective actors in my book alongside David Suchet and Maury Chaykin.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Clive Merrison

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

You're all wrong, there is only one correct Sherlock:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi yeah, so, has the Doctor Lady with the funny but charming accent released a series yet or

do we know when orrrrrr

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

7th October. Yes, it’s a Sunday.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
BBC are holding a draw for tickets to the red carpet event on Monday week.

Rather funny that people who live in Ilkley can enter the draw for surrounding areas but Wakefield, which is closer, can't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

BBC are holding a draw for tickets to the red carpet event on Monday week.

Rather funny that people who live in Ilkley can enter the draw for surrounding areas but Wakefield, which is closer, can't.

Also, you don’t actually get to see the premiere, just the red carpet event.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

7th October. Yes, it’s a Sunday.

Are you kidding me? The day I'm going to be on an airplane?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chokes McGee posted:

Are you kidding me? The day I'm going to be on an airplane?

:laffo: Of all the people to miss the premier, it had to be you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

:hai:

The modern Sherlock has its fair share of problems, but The Abominable Bride paying homage to the shots of Holmes looking out Baker Street window taken from the ITV series makes up for a ton of them. Jeremy Brett's illness robbed us of a magnificent Holmes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And now the opening theme is stuck in your heads. All of you, whether you've heard it or not.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

And now the opening theme is stuck in your heads. All of you, whether you've heard it or not.

After reading this I started humming what I thought was the Sherlock Holmes theme song, but soon realised it was actually the theme to Keeping Up Appearances

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

After The War posted:

What about the second best Sherlock theme ever made? :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

:hai:

The modern Sherlock has its fair share of problems, but The Abominable Bride paying homage to the shots of Holmes looking out Baker Street window taken from the ITV series makes up for a ton of them. Jeremy Brett's illness robbed us of a magnificent Holmes.

It was sometime during the first season of Sherlock that I realised the flat was laid out in the exact same way as the Brett series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: Big Finish Best of 2018 sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Apparently, the scripts for series 11 were written for a male doctor, as Chibnall didn't tell the writers he was actually casting Jodie Whittaker.

I'm not sure if this was necessarily the best approach to take (though it certainly helped minimize the leaks), but it most likely means that 13th Doctor's gender won't come up much if at all during the season.

• Locked thread